Menu

I despise legos. Am I ruining my child?

Our Legos live on top of the fridge or upstairs in the boys' rooms. Even my oldest, my 11 year old daughter loves Legos.

My oldest son is an aspie and he gets super obsessed with a couple of different subjects. I've decided I'd much rather him be obsessed with Legos than with video games, because the Legos make his brain work and the video games....not so much.

So yes, we love Legos here. And I can second the Trofast system from IKEA. They are even good if one of them has a project going on they want to continue later. It can get put away with them needing to take it apart.

I don't like stepping on them (really, who DOES?) but I can't deny the house of fun they have given my children. They're great for hand-eye coordination, following directions, and creativity. They are too expensive for what you get -- I absolutely agree with that -- but I'd rather spend that money on a toy my kids will play with than get a great deal on something they won't use. Legos have been played with every day for the past 3 years in my house. That's not an exaggeration. DS even brings some with him when we go on vacation.

Oh, and to answer your original question, yes, you are ruining your children. They will grow up to be unsocialized, horrible adults who can't figure out how to put things together because they never had the experience with Legos. You should be ashamed. There would be less violence in the world if only mothers would let their children play with Legos. :D

Hating Legos and crayons isn't such a problem. Hating them so much that you don't let your kids enjoy them could indicate an over-the-top issue.

:001_huh: :lol: You're funny.

Oh, and to answer your original question, yes, you are ruining your children. They will grow up to be unsocialized, horrible adults who can't figure out how to put things together because they never had the experience with Legos. You should be ashamed. There would be less violence in the world if only mothers would let their children play with Legos. :D

:lol: :smilielol5:

So do they play with them a lot past age seven? Because Christmas is coming up and it's an idea. CJ NEVER played with Legos (and we actually had them when he was little.) Just got them out for me to step on. The girls? No interest. So Tim, as the only boy, is probably my one kid who will get any use out of them. His idea of a good time is an audio book and Lincoln Logs. I'll bet he'd love them. Sigh.

My boys love them. Yes, the almost 9 year old plays with them still. It’s really the one toy thing he still loves to play with.

I don’t think you’re ruining him though if you don’t get them for him. If he isn’t asking for them and he’s happy and has plenty to play with and do it’s not like Legos are essential. I suppose it’s possible for someone to grow up a happy and well-rounded adult not having played with Legos. :)

I get what you are saying. I detest Play-Doh. I think it’s evil. My Mom loves it and buys it for the kids frequently (I don’t think she really knows how much I dislike it.) I let them play with when they have it but as soon as it dries up or is yucky I throw it out. And I don’t buy them more myself. But I buy them plenty of other creative play kinds of stuff.

We must have at least 50 thousand Legos in this stupid house! My little guy, who will be 7 next weekend, lives, eats, breathes, dreams Lego!

It's a lost cause!

same here! oldest is 7, middle brother is 5 and they (esp oldest) are lego maniacs through and through. who knew that little blue box i purchased a few years ago (preceeding a blizzard that would keep us house bound) would compound to approximately 15-20,000 pieces (we est. this the other day when we were putting in a new organization system). but they love it and as much as it drives me crazy to see legos everywhere (including the car?!?!)...it's a great thing for them i believe and i deal with it.

sorry you are not into them!

btw, a few weeks ago they tried to go the local lego convention thing and decided to give up when they realized the entry line was about a mile long. not kidding.

My ds loves his lego sets, my dd loves her lego set, and *I* love *MY* lego sets!

Ds has a lot. He started collecting the lego city sets, but never got the police dept set. Dd likes the new sets for girls (friends, i think), and has a few of the vet sets. I have most of the kingdom series. When i'm done with the kingdom, i have to find a new one. I saw some zombie sets i may get. :-)

The building rule is that you must build the set one time as per instructions, then it's free to play with.

We play with them in the livingroom and they may or may not get picked up when we're done. I have a flashlight app on my phone so i can walk through the room without destroying my feet.

Do older kids still play with Legos? In our family, heck yes!

My college sophomore son took a plastic shoebox of Legos back to campus with him this year! When he's stuck on a tricky bit of coding, he likes to free build with Legos. He says it both relaxes him and opens his mind, so that when he goes back to the computer, he is better able to attach the problem.

I though he was the biggest Lego fan around but dd12 might surpass him. She will spend hours designing and building houses and other buildings to construct a small town around the few Lego road baseplates we have.

We introduced ds to regular (non-Duplo) Legos on his fourth birthday. Legos were recommended to help with his rather poor fine motor skills. I had picked up a 12x12x12 inch box full of random Legos at a garage sale the summer before (it was a teenager's past collection so it had some unusual pieces like airplane parts, not just bricks) so we gave ds that. The grandparents gave him Lego sets for Christmas and birthday for years. He would build the new sets, file the instruction booklets in a huge binder, then mix the pieces with his collection.

Dd17 also played with Legos but not to the extent of ds.

Dd12 started receiving her own sets when she turned four. She asks for particular sets or pieces for Christmas and birthday presents. We buy from bricklink sellers like previous posters---ds enjoys tracking down rare pieces to give his sister.

My kids aren't the type to only build what is in the instruction booklets. Free building expands their imagination, teaches them to deal with frustration, and improves spatial relation skills.

Ds and dd12 have always been very math- and science-focused. Do they like Legos because of that or are they good at math and science because of the hours upon hours spent playing with Legos? I don't know. I do know that we give nieces and nephews buckets of Legos and general sets as gifts :)

Two words: Cafeteria Trays. Really. They are life savers! I pick up old ones at thrift stores. Projects stay on them and off the floor. Also, I have 2- 5 gallon buckets with round organizers that fit in them. All shapes are divided (I know, I know, just a touch OCD). The reason this is important is that it avoids the "dump them all out to find that one piece I need" syndrome. Little, bitty pieces are in small organizers used for beads or fishing lures.

Another idea is to lay out a sheet first. Legos go on the sheet then are easy to pick up later. Just pick the sheet up by the corners, fold and dump back into a bin.

I can't remember the last time I stepped on a lego. And we have 10 gallons + worth.

Yikes. That would be a ton of organizing. We used shallow, under bed boxes so that searching for the tiny pieces did not mean dumping anything. I would love to hear that sound again - the sound of sorting through the boxes of legos to find what they wanted. My oldest is in college and my 2nd son is more interested in his guitar right now.

Ds-almost-9 didn't even hit his stride with Lego until he was 7. He still plays with them daily, and he has a friend who is 10 and another who is 12 who still play with them as well. Even dh (who was a major Lego lover from early on) still plays with Lego. In fact, he got Lego Architecture sets for Christmas and birthday this past year. He loved them so much we had to put up a new display shelf so he can keep them out and put together.

FWIW, legos are supposedly good for fine motor skills (though I have seen no evidence in ds's handwriting). And, I have no hard evidence but I believe that legos are very good for developing mathematical and spatial thinking (perhaps that is a chicken/egg question).

My house is a Lego museum. We must have thousands and thousands. My oldest son has played with them from an early age and has moved on to some very complicated 16 plus sets. Really cool stuff....

One problem is the cost...one set can put you close to or over $100.

Yes, you are ruining them. ;) Legos are amazing. They foster creativity, they keep hands busy on kids that need to constantly move. They help children learn problem solving skills (when using them freestyle and not just putting a kit together).

I didn't love dealing with Legos all over the house, but in the end it's been worth it.

But, they will eventually grow out of it.

Yes, they will. Ds just packed his up last weekend, and I admit it was bittersweet. He hasn't built with them in over a year, but couldn't bring himself to put them away.

DS8 has SO much energy and borders on ADHD, but he can sit and focus long enough to build a Lego set ;) He's always creating cool "inventions" and contraptions and telling us ALLLLLLLL about them.

The boys at co-op all talk about Legos and bring some to show and share. He watches Lego Ninjago on TV. And both of our malls have a Lego store, so we HAVE to go in it EVERY. TIME. we are at the Mall.

If I need some quiet time, I can tell DS, "Mommy needs quiet time, please go build something with Legos in your room." He'll stay up there for 1-2 hours, being quiet, it's awesome :)

We just went to the Lego Convention, soooo, we love Legos around here :) They require creativity and imagination, are sturdy and well made, and don't make annoying noises. I can't imagine banning such a cool toy.

Ds has ADHD, and Lego has been wonderful for him. We used to make regular trips to Downtown Disney just so we could go to The Lego Store. He always bought from the "wall of Legos", as he called it. He used to spend hours creating, and would then show us his creations. I was always amazed at what he came up with.

The thing I hate most is when I'm cooking supper and I suddenly hear the sound of hundreds of pieces tipping out from a box all over the sitting room floor, that's when I get the eye twitch.

Ah yes, that unmistakable sound. I haven't heard it in ages, but I can't say I miss it.

Children need Legos. They just do, like vitamins and sleep.

Absolutely.

We are a lego loving house, but legos have strict rules in order to remain. They must stay in his room. If I found them, they disappeared. It only happened a few times to some beloved pieces when he was younger. They did however magically reappear after he improved his lego keeping skills.:D

Open call for abuse. :D

I hate legos.

I hate everything about Legos. I hate their plastic guts. I hate their color. I hate (despise really) their sharp little corners that will gouge into my feet.

I made the mistake and called off the Crayola ban in this house after several years... And promptly washed one in a load of laundry. Ban back on. :glare:

However, I suspect I have a little seven year old boy who would get hours upon hours of JOY from Legos. Sigh.

Someone tell me their kid hates Legos with a passion and my son is missing out on absolutely nothing at all.

Are you ruining your son? No. kids got a long for many years before there were legos. I totally understand your complaints although I don't ever step on one bare foot as I HATE going bare foot.:tongue_smilie:

My youngest has more legos than I could even begin to count in a week. He has a dresser full, several plastic drawer thingys full plastic boxes full, ones put together and sitting around....... the list goes on. He is extremely creative with them. They are a great imagination venue for him.

I get so tired of there being legos piled on our kitchen table, the top of the buffet, the bay window ledges, heaped on his lego dresser and any other flat surface in his room but I can not imagine not allowing him to have them. He spends hours with his legos nearly every day. His friends come and guess what they do? They go to his room and play legos. He builds a new creation and brings it out with such pride and excitement.

If you think your son would enjoy them I would get him a small kit and see how it goes. Forget about the color and they they are made of plastic, I encourage you to give him a chance to enjoy the creativeness that can come from legos. If he doesn't like them get rid of them. If he does, I believe it will be worth the looking past some things on your part.:001_smile:

My mother does not like legos so I did not have any as a child. I do not believe that this was a problem. However, I have purchased legos for dd7. In fact, there is a large spongebob set hidden that she will get for her birthday. She loves legos and pretty much any other building-type toy.

Legos is a major component of homeschool for us! My ds (5) has very little ability to sit still for anything, but if he gets to sit and play with his legos, he will sit still while I read to him for long stretches of time, and he retains it all. I think the legos keep his hands busy and act like a fidget tool...plus I feel like just playing with legos builds math and spatial skills, among other things. I don't know what we would do without them!

Hating Legos and crayons isn't such a problem. Hating them so much that you don't let your kids enjoy them could indicate an over-the-top issue.

LOL, yes if... You weren't willing to drop the $70 on a set of really nice blendable Prismacolor pencils. More control. My kids get sick of the novelty of crayons really quick once they try to draw with any sort of control from about three on, lol. We may wear clothes from garage sales but I'm willing to buy Prismacolors most of the time. (Okay, well I have in the past and I will again once the novelty of Mommy's cool new green pencil sharpener wears off. I was smart and bought Crayola's for the celebration of the new school year.)

And, goodness, don't Lincoln Logs and Waldorf toys count for anything? Forts outside? Gardens? Rabbits? Chickens? A dog?

WHY OH WHY OH WHY THE LEGOS?!?!?!

(And, yes, we will probably get them for Christmas after eight pages of convincing.)

Good! There. Phew! Honesty. :)

Can't I let him take apart the computer or something? :D Wait. That might make DH twitchy.

I feel that way about Barbie dolls, princess toys, and all that other prissy stuff. I had Barbies and they didn't ruin me, but I see nothing positive about their existence. Legos, on the other hand, I LOVE.

I swore my daughter would never own a Barbie. She's four and I'm still winning that battle, but she absolutely loves the princess things and anything she can find that is either pink or sparkly. She has lots of that stuff I didn't want her to ever have.

I've realized that my child is going to pursue the things she's interested in whether I like it or not. There are going to be so many of these things - everything from a lollipop before dinner to dating before age sixteen. I've decided that I'm not going to be the NO mom all the time and so I'm going to have to compromise with my little girl as she explores what interests her. I will put my foot down on the dating before sixteen, but I will have to give in once in a while on the lollipop before dinner. Like Legos, that lollipop won't ruin my child or leave her with a long-lasting negative self-image or negative image of her mother.

Legos won't ruin your child. I know they are annoying to clean up and tragic to step upon, but the flip side is that they also spark imagination (especially if you skip the step-by-step building plans) and teach processes (if you use the plans). They are unisex and multi-functional (I have a stand for an iPod Touch that my son made for me from Legos...it's really the perfect solution for a problem I had, and he figured it out all by himself.) We have used Legos for science, robotics, art, and even language arts. They have positive features, for sure, so if you must compromise somewhere, they're a safe bet. You don't have to completely give in, but maybe sharing with your child your feelings about Legos and teaching him how to compromise (maybe he can have some, but they come with boundaries - maybe they have to stay in his room or something) would actually be a great benefit.

That's just my two-cents. I don't want to be shredded for it - it's just my perspective on an issue all parents deal with!

LOL, yes if... You weren't willing to drop the $70 on a set of really nice blendable Prismacolor pencils. More control. My kids get sick of the novelty of crayons really quick once they try to draw with any sort of control from about three on, lol. We may wear clothes from garage sales but I'm willing to buy Prismacolors most of the time. (Okay, well I have in the past and I will again once the novelty of Mommy's cool new green pencil sharpener wears off. I was smart and bought Crayola's for the celebration of the new school year.)

:iagree: There is nothing wrong with banning crayons. They make me miserable. A new box of crayons is a joy, but within 4 days with 9 children (did you see the part where the OP has 9 children??) in the house, the crayons are in small pieces, ground into the carpet, stuck in the laundry, down in the couch, or smuggled out onto the porch to write on the sidewalk because the colors are so much more vibrant than chalk. I had crayons in the house until we had more than three children. At that point, I rounded them all up and tossed. We used colored pencils for years because they are large, don't break as easily, and easier to keep centralized. Stray marks are easier to clean up. And no expensive laundry mishaps.

I allowed crayons back in the house this year and I regret it. I'm ready to round them up again.

No not really. I totally get her. It's a crowd control/multiple ages thing. I have Legos in the house because of the overwhelming benefits, but they are a source of constant friction because of the ages of my kids. Some kids love to keep theirs pristine and the sets stored together (the 10yo), others like to mix them up and create new stuff and then cry because the pieces get lost when he wants to recreate the original (the 7yo...who also occasionally "borrows" the others' pieces on the sly), some like to get in the playroom and play with the creations that really aren't meant to withstand a 4yo's play style. It's very stressful and very expensive. But for us, the positives generally outweigh the negatives.

Hey, if you don't want your DS occupied for hours, that's your call. :)

From a housekeeping perspective, LEGOs are annoying, I agree. But my boys love them and the LEGOs are relegated to their bedroom and playroom. Every so often I have them do a deep clean and clean them all up. My suggestion is not to attempt to hyper-organize LEGOs, just keep them contained (unless they are special sets).

I hate Legos with the heat of a thousand suns. There are days where I swear if I hear one more word about them I will rip all my clothes off and run down the street screaming.

:lol::lol:

Someone, obviously a genius, linked this:

Incredible Lego Keeping Contraption

And then someone linked a tutorial for SEWING one.

But at the end of the day... Ugh. I would still own LEGOS. :(

I promise I am a lot of things, but my kids play. And they play HARD and often with hard or pokey things.... But Legos... That might be my undoing. I was really just coming for empathy and that ((hugs)) thing and maybe an occasional, "Yeah, legos stink. Total pain and kids actually hate them."

Not so much, eh? :glare:

So do they play with them a lot past age seven? Because Christmas is coming up and it's an idea. CJ NEVER played with Legos (and we actually had them when he was little.) Just got them out for me to step on. The girls? No interest. So Tim, as the only boy, is probably my one kid who will get any use out of them. His idea of a good time is an audio book and Lincoln Logs. I'll bet he'd love them. Sigh.

I thought those bags looked so cool but of course they would never stay in there. Part of Legos is having the younger kids come and throw them all over the place. :glare:

Love and loathe. Right now I'm at the "pack em all up and store them in the garage until you can take better care of them" phase.

No not really. I totally get her. It's a crowd control/multiple ages thing. I have Legos in the house because of the overwhelming benefits, but they are a source of constant friction because of the ages of my kids. Some kids love to keep theirs pristine and the sets stored together (the 10yo), others like to mix them up and create new stuff and then cry because the pieces get lost when he wants to recreate the original (the 7yo...who also occasionally "borrows" the others' pieces on the sly), some like to get in the playroom and play with the creations that really aren't meant to withstand a 4yo's play style. It's very stressful and very expensive. But for us, the positives generally outweigh the negatives.

:iagree::iagree:

I thought those bags looked so cool but of course they would never stay in there. Part of Legos is having the younger kids come and throw them all over the place. :glare:

You have more younger kids than probably anyone on this thread. You are St. Blessedwinter of Lego. Honestly, I'm shocked you are sane.

You have more younger kids than probably anyone on this thread. You are St. Blessedwinter of Lego. Honestly, I'm shocked you are sane.

:smilielol5:I'm pretty sure OP's young kids are the same ages as mine. She's had hers fast and furious as well. Maybe that's why she's so scared of Legos. :tongue_smilie:

Well, we love Legos here, but just because we do, doesn't mean you do.

However, I do think they're an important creative outlet for kids. The boys make the sets, and them promptly take them apart so that they can create their own designs. They play for hours upon hours with these things. Hours upon hours.

Well, we love Legos here, but just because we do, doesn't mean you do.

However, I do think they're an important creative outlet for kids. The boys make the sets, and them promptly take them apart so that they can create their own designs. They play for hours upon hours with these things. Hours upon hours.

Your blog is hilarious! I had to show my dh the one about your roof family picture, LOL!

I held off on regular Legos for a very long time. We had Duplos and I was okay with them. Then one of my neighbors gave us a paper grocery bag full of Legos - little tiny pieces. Right now they live in a under bed drawer in my son's room. There is a towel in there as well and they have been told that the towel MUST come out before the legos and they need to be played with on the towel only.

We don't have any kids. Ds is not the type of kid who likes to follow directions so random play works better for him. I do want to get him more minifigs since he's very into Ninjago, and turns everything into a character from something (Pokemon, Minecraft or Ninjago).

Yeah. My 9yo daughter has been a Legomaniac for a few years now. She and her friends are so imaginative with them, and spend hours and hours with them.

Your blog is hilarious! I had to show my dh the one about your roof family picture, LOL!

:iagree: I was just looking at your blog wondering why I'd never seen it before. You're a star!

Thanks for the feedback! You wouldn't believe the fun I have using The Blog as a creative outlet. Writing it helps me end my day with a chuckle. It's nice to hear that other people enjoy it, too.

(sorry for the thread jack.)

I hate everything about Legos. I hate their plastic guts. I hate their color. I hate (despise really) their sharp little corners that will gouge into my feet.

It's not all about you.

Make a rule that Legos found outside _ room will go in the trash. That's how I keep them from taking over my house...

It's not all about you.

Make a rule that Legos found outside _ room will go in the trash. That's how I keep them from taking over my house...

That was really rude. How do you tell your 7yo that his 2yo brother or his 4yo sister put great handfuls of his legos in the pantry and the hall so now they must go in the trash? Have you already forgotten what it's like to have toddlers and preschoolers? Geez.