Menu

Analgesia/anesthesia and birthing preferences

What is your preferred way to give birth?  

1. 1. What is your preferred way to give birth?

• All my vaginal births were without analgesia/anesthesia
    • All my vaginal births involved analgesia/anesthesia
    • I have experienced giving birth both with and without analgesia/anesthesia
    • I prefer no analgesia/anesthesia
    • I prefer epidural anesthesia
    • I prefer a non-epidural form of analgesia/anesthesia (please elaborate)

OK, so the topic of birth is on my mind (see signature:)) and I thought you ladies might indulge me by answering a poll. This poll refers only to vaginal birth--at least, I hope there isn't anyone on here who has experienced birth via c-section without any pain relief! Multiple answers allowed--the first three questions are for everyone, the last three are for those who have experienced birth both with and without pain medication.

Edited by thegardener
fix typo

I voted no meds for myself (except of course with my c-section). My c-section baby was more lethargic and slept more than my vaginal babies. I always blamed it on the epidural.

My mom experienced the use of both meds and no meds and very much prefers to not use the pain meds. She says the labors were shorter and the babies more lively. She says that in nurses training they had been told that it really didn't affect the baby that much, but her experience would beg to differ.

Edited by Dory

I've done both. Without meds was easier, by far.

I also had a c-section and prefer vaginal birth w/out meds.

My cousin (once removed, she's more my mom's age) actually had an SERIOUSLY emergency c-section without meds because there was no time for it. She said that she mostly felt relief from the pressure.

With my first baby I had an epidural because the nurse threatened that if I didn't have it then, the Dr. would go home and I couldn't have one. She also said I had hours of hard labor ahead of me. If I had only insisted someone check me, I would have known I was in transition. I ended up delivering 30 minutes after I got the epidural. I hated it! I couldn't feel anything. I felt like I didn't give birth!

After baby #1, I had a shot of stadol during transition with baby #2. I hated that as well. I just don't do well with drugs.

Babies 3- 7 were drug free. I much prefer it that way. There is nothing compared to that high that I experience when delivering naturally. I'm not opposed to others having drugs if they need them; I just know I'm very sensitive and I don't like the way I react to them.

I've never had an epidural. I had stadol with a couple of my labors. I hated it, although when I asked for it I thought it was a good idea. As soon as it started to wear off I could feel the contractions, but I was too out of it to work through them. That was always an awful feeling for me. Med-free has been the best experience for me, although having the freedom to be out of a bed for most of my labor has had a much larger role in the entire experience for me.

With my first baby I had an epidural because the nurse threatened that if I didn't have it then, the Dr. would go home and I couldn't have one. She also said I had hours of hard labor ahead of me. If I had only insisted someone check me, I would have known I was in transition. I ended up delivering 30 minutes after I got the epidural. I hated it! I couldn't feel anything. I felt like I didn't give birth!

After baby #1, I had a shot of stadol during transition with baby #2. I hated that as well. I just don't do well with drugs.

Babies 3- 7 were drug free. I much prefer it that way. There is nothing compared to that high that I experience when delivering naturally. I'm not opposed to others having drugs if they need them; I just know I'm very sensitive and I don't like the way I react to them.

:iagree: I've had four births and one was with an epidural. It was my second labor and delivery. I had a very weird, disconnected feeling afterwards. There is just something about going through the labor process and holding that baby. With the epidural birth, it was almost like someone was handing me this baby rather than me giving birth. I don't know if that makes any sense but it was very, very strange. And I had a tremendous headache afterwards that lasted over 24 hours. It probably would have been easier and less painful go through the labor since my labors were only a few hours anyway!

(In no way do I imply that women shouldn't have epidurals! They definitely have a usefulness!)

I only answered the first part....I've done two with an epidural and one without. It's hard to say which I prefer....my without birth was definitely my loveliest birth, so I'm glad I did that one without meds. But I'm pretty sure I'd get one for my first labor again without a second thought.

Congratulations on your new addition, Gardner!

Thanks!

I guess I should contribute my own experience since I asked the question:D This was my 5th birth, I've never used pain meds--that's why I'm really curious about the experience of those who have done both. Seems most of the people I know are either all one way or all the other. I've mostly been really happy with my babies' births, except that pushing with the last two has been really, really difficult and painful. Which has me wondering if I want to do it the same way next time ( yes, I'm already thinking about a next time...)

--Sarah

I voted always with analgesia but I never had an epidural. ( Novacaine and lidocaine do not work on me and I still hadn't found a anesthetic that could be used by the time I had my third- I have since found carbocaine which does work).

The medications worked well enough for me except for the second- there they waited too long to give me an injection which caused me more pain and she was born only ten minutes later and needed a shot to combat sleepiness.

Does anyone manage an induction without drugs? If so, I should have gone to their hospital! Two inductions here and while there was no way I was going to have an epidural, I did have another helpful jab in the leg I no longer remember the name of.

Rosie

I was on pitocin for most of my last baby's birth and did not have any pain meds (on purpose). My water broke and nothing was happening, so I chose to start pit. Once I started having regular contractions, we turned it off. I walked around and even got into the tub for awhile. Things kind of petered out, so we started pitocin again. Little man was born 25 minutes later. For the sake of full disclosure, I did ask for an epidural about 10 minutes before he was born because pitocin isn't fun, but once the anesthesiologist got there I just pushed my baby out instead. :lol: I'm glad I didn't have an epidural. Recovery is nicer without it, in my experience.

Regarding the bolded - I had two friends who felt they couldn't handle labor anymore and had epidurals. It turned out both were in transition but didn't know. They both said if they would have known that it was almost over they would not have asked for the epidural. This surprised me because I thought they didn't give epidurals that late into labor.

Regarding the bolded - I had two friends who felt they couldn't handle labor anymore and had epidurals. It turned out both were in transition but didn't know. They both said if they would have known that it was almost over they would not have asked for the epidural. This surprised me because I thought they didn't give epidurals that late into labor.

With my first I asked for an epidural because I was in transition and didn't know it. While waiting for the anesthesiologist, I was checked by my m/w and deemed 10 cm and did not get the epi. I was glad I didn't and the next time I was prepared for what transition feels like.

I was on pitocin for most of my last baby's birth and did not have any pain meds (on purpose). My water broke and nothing was happening, so I chose to start pit. Once I started having regular contractions, we turned it off.

Oh that's nice. I wasn't allowed to turn it off. They are lucky I'm not going back for a third because I was almost angry enough to chew through the pipes and third time around I probably would.

:001_huh:

Rosie

Does anyone manage an induction without drugs? If so, I should have gone to their hospital! Two inductions here and while there was no way I was going to have an epidural, I did have another helpful jab in the leg I no longer remember the name of.

Rosie

I've had two inductions. The first was the worst experience of my life. The combination of pitocin, back labor, and being "forbidden" from getting out of bed was awful. I had stadol during that one.

The second was just a couple weeks ago. No pain meds for that, and I had back labor for that one also. I was able to be up and moving though, and that made all the difference in the world for me. Pitocin is awful, but feeling like I could take an active role in labor instead of being forced to lie in one ineffective position throughout labor made it much more bearable for me.

Oh that's nice. I wasn't allowed to turn it off. They are lucky I'm not going back for a third because I was almost angry enough to chew through the pipes and third time around I probably would.

:001_huh:

Rosie

I think I would have "accidentally" pulled out my IV if they hadn't been so agreeable about whatever I wanted to do. ;) With my first baby I was on pitocin full blast the whole time. I got an epidural as soon as possible because I did not know what to do otherwise. By the time number 6 was on his way, I had learned my lesson to choose my care giver and birth place very carefully, learn everything I could about the birthing process and my options, and learn effective labor techniques. That's why his birth was a positive experience despite pitocin. :tongue_smilie:

I've been induced 3 times, 2 with the epidural and one without. The one without was my easiest delivery by far, and I was up and walking around with an alert baby in no time (literally, walking in a few minutes, compared to bedbound for hours after the other two.)

First 1 was epidural: didn't work at all and it was excruciating

2nd birth was pain less, at home, using hypnobabies. Obviously no drugs involved and absolutely pain free. I've had sunburns or paper cuts that hurt worse.

In fact it was so painless that my midwife did not make it on time and dd was a surprise unassisted birth on my bathroom floor :eek: Dh barely had time to come running in to help catch her. Midwife showed up about a half hour later lol.

Oh, they do, all the time now. I know several women with the same story.

My all natural birth was the one I would never want to repeat. One of my friends used to tell me that she didn't want meds because she likes being in control of her faculties; I am much more in control of my faculties when I am not out of my mind with pain. :tongue_smilie:

With my first baby, I labored 12 hours on pitocin with no progress. Well, some progress. 0.5 to 2. Dr suggested epidural, and by then I thought that was a good idea since I'd probably end up with a section. After the epidural, I took a 3 hour nap and woke up ready to push. Now that is my kind of labor!

I know this is rather unpopular here, but after five pitocin-induced labors (my water would break and I would not start contractions on my own), and over 60 hours of active labor, I would choose an epidural every single time. I have no regrets at all. One baby was posterior with horrendous back labor, one was 10.5 lbs....I am an epidural-loving mama! :lol:

And I know I am an anomaly, but every time I got an epidural, my labor sped up. I think I have issues with relaxing!

All of my births were vaginal births, first at a freestanding birth center, other three at home, no drugs or induction at all. Two were attended by midwives; two were unassisted. One was a waterbirth. DH and I caught two of them together; he caught the third on his own, and I caught the fourth. It's been a glorious, wonderful experience every single time. :)

DS was an induced epidural birth that almost ended in a c-section. His heart rate started dropping and the doctor said I could either push hard and get him out or get a c-section. Good thing I have strong stomach muscles.:tongue_smilie:

After that close call with a c-section and reading about the phenomena called pit to distress, I decided to go without meds for number two. I had a friend there who was a retired midwife that helped me with pain management. I also was able to walk the first couple of hours of labor and then they started filling up the bathtub for me. To my surprise the baby came before the tub was filled, and although it was painful I've decided that natural isn't too bad.

This next birth I'm going to go natural as well (hopefully with a tub) but I won't have a doula with me so hopefully my husband can step up in that position. If the labor is too long or involves back labor, I will most likely ask for an epidural.

Both of mine were born with no anesthesia. The first time, my water broke and I labored for 26 hours. I tried to get an epidural at some point but the anesthesiologist could not place it correctly. He said that my spine was 'crooked'. So they called another in. He flat out refused to even try. I enentually managed to push her out but I honestly do not know how. I was exhausted. My OB said I was about 5 minutes away from a C-Section. When my second was born, she came so quickly (within 20 minutes of my water breaking on its own) that there was no time for any of that epidural nonsense. :lol:

If I ever have another, I hope to home birth with a midwife. But that's a whole other thread. ;)

I know this is rather unpopular here, but after five pitocin-induced labors (my water would break and I would not start contractions on my own), and over 60 hours of active labor, I would choose an epidural every single time. I have no regrets at all. One baby was posterior with horrendous back labor, one was 10.5 lbs....I am an epidural-loving mama! :lol:

And I know I am an anomaly, but every time I got an epidural, my labor sped up. I think I have issues with relaxing!

I only have 3 kids but would never have a child without some sort of epidural or similar. I'm the same as you, things stall out if I don't have one. With all of my kids I would just stop dilating at 4-5 and once I'd get the meds I would be 10 and ready to push within 30 minutes.

With my 1st I had an interthecal, kind of like an epidural but it's not a constant drip it's a one time injection, so basically a spinal block.

The 2nd and 3rd I had the full epidural. I never had problems with being out of it and the meds were only enough to take the edge off, I could still feel the contractions and everything else enough to know what was happening.

I had no issues with being sleepy and none of my babies was overly sleepy either.

I have a spinal fusion of the L5S1 vertebrae and my first 2 kids were posterior, which made for horrible back labor.

I would leave my dh for my anesthesiologist. At least that's what I think at the time as I'm going through an agonizing contraction and begging for relief. Once that epi is placed and life is good again I almost put in a marriage offer to the wonderful man who placed it. :D I've done natural...I love the epi. Love, love, love, love the epi!!! My babies who were sleepiest were those with whom I had no meds at all. The babies I bonded best with were the ones I had an epi with (as I didn't have to work through the trauma of the painful birth process).

Perhaps the fact that I go from 4-delivery in 30 minutes or less has to do with how much I dislike being in agonizing pain... :001_huh:

I was induced with cervadil & pitocin with my oldest, got the epi and nubain twice with that one. I despised my birth experience with him. Swore I wouldn't get induced or drugs again.

Then I got PG with twins, had to be induced at 38w 3 days, due to concerns, that induction ended in an emergency c-section with a failed epi, under general anesthesia. :lol: So pretty much the antithesis of a natural birth.

I'm 100% done having babies, but if I were to have more, I'd opt for a non-medicated VBAC, at a hospital.

Thanks!

I guess I should contribute my own experience since I asked the question:D This was my 5th birth, I've never used pain meds--that's why I'm really curious about the experience of those who have done both. Seems most of the people I know are either all one way or all the other. I've mostly been really happy with my babies' births, except that pushing with the last two has been really, really difficult and painful. Which has me wondering if I want to do it the same way next time ( yes, I'm already thinking about a next time...)

--Sarah

I've had two with and one without. I don't see anything inherently virtuous or practical with either choice absent the context of a specific birth. All three experiences were good (even with the life threatening complications of the last one) and special in different ways. The epidural/no epidural thing really was a pretty small piece of the whole experience.

Each thing you introduce during labor elevates the risk factor. That includes epidurals. And when medical intervention starts, the more likely it is that there will be "complications" which will lead to c-section. It is why the U.S. still has the highest number of c-sections but one of the worst infant mortality rates.

Lamaze or Bradley childbirth classes really help cut down on the need for drugs and otherwise medically-messed-with labors.

I've done vaginal births with and without epidurals. With an epidural works better for me. I am more able to relax while pushing (without one my body curls backwards) and a much much faster labor and recovery! A lot of people say the opposite, so it's definitely different for everyone.

:iagree:

I see lots of people coment on babies being sleepy after epidurals. My sleepiest was my non-epidural baby.

My water always breaks and even waiting 2 days with one baby I never started contractions. Not sure what I would do without Pitocin!

Each thing you introduce during labor elevates the risk factor. That includes epidurals. And when medical intervention starts, the more likely it is that there will be "complications" which will lead to c-section. It is why the U.S. still has the highest number of c-sections but one of the worst infant mortality rates.

Lamaze or Bradley childbirth classes really help cut down on the need for drugs and otherwise medically-messed-with labors.

Lamaze was a bunch of hooey when it came to my labors and didn't help in the least. Had I stuck just with that it's very likely I would have ended up with c-sections due to my labor just stalling out. I think each person is going to be different and thus have different requirements for labor. It's kind of like homeschooling, one size does not fit all.

I see lots of people coment on babies being sleepy after epidurals. My sleepiest was my non-epidural baby.

I have not seen a difference between my 3 non-epidural babies and my 5 epidural babies. My sleepiest was my 37-weeker and he was non-epidural. The other 7 were wide awake and alert, with or without epidural.

No pain meds here. DH likes to say that I asked for an epidural with my first, but I honestly don't remember asking. He says it was right before I started pushing though, so I guess the intensity of that time could have something to do with my memory lapse. :tongue_smilie:

I don't know what it's like to give birth with an epidural, but for my part I like having the full experience. Although, being totally honest, every time in the immediate aftermath of delivery I always swear I'll never have more kids! It's intense! :lol:

I had demerol with the first two births. The last one, I had no pain relief. I preferred NOT having pain relief as it felt the same (pain wise), but the first two times I felt out of it.

First child, epidural. It was horribly long and very slow. Pain wasn't an issue but exhaustion was. I was extremely tired by the time she was born. They used a vacuum, it didn't work. Lots and lots and lots of stitches. Roughly 24 hours of labor, 14 in hospital.

Second child, iv pain medicine (fentanyl?). The best laboring experience of the three. Pain only an issue at the peak of contractions. A few stitches. Roughly 14 hours of labor, about 3 in hospital.

Third child, no pain medicine at all. The absolute pit of bleakest despair due to overwhelming pain. A miserable horrible labor experience. I wouldn't wish that terror of unending agony on anyone. No stitches. Roughly 4 hours of labor, half hour in hospital. (I very much wanted pain medicine and was told no. That didn't help my feelings about the experience. If I had chosen to go with out pain medicine I probably would feel differently.)

Edited by JenneinAZ
forgot a word

I had a vaginal birth via an induction and all the fun accoutrements (epidural, cytotec, vacuum extraction, etc.), and I had a unmedicated vaginal birth. The recovery from my unmed. birth was much, much, MUCH faster and easier, but that might also be because it was my second, and because the first was an induction.

I couldn't answer whether I prefer one over the other, because a natural birth was much more painful than I was expecting. I did not handle it well at all and had a hard time bonding afterward :( I'd like to think that I would go that route again if there ever is a next time, but I honestly don't know!