Menu

be honest.....

Is it possible for me to go to ikea to pick up 4 very particular and specific items which are in my budget? Ds is convinced we can't get out if there without spending at least 500 bucks...i told him that_I_ have self control....but am i kidding myself? There are many things we need but just can't afford right now, so we are trying to limit to or absolute essential (a bookcase, two chairs and two small desks for the kids).......

Go with one list to buy.

Go with one list to shop for, price and record vital information/pictures.

That way you are still leaving with everything you want...just some of it is in a box and some is on paper. :D

Sometimes planning the project is the fun part. :D

Take pictures of what you'll go back for later. Agree about the cash thing. When we went it was more on a whim, not for anything specific, so I had a limited amount. It was kind of painful, but I thought we could go back. Now we've moved and the nearest IKEA is a day away.

So, what is the proximity and how often can you get there?

Don't.eat.the.meatballs.

And bring your own water. That place is so arid, by the time you get through the housewares, you're seeing a mirage. That's how they get you to the meatballs. And the meatballs lead to...

Yeah, I'm hopeless.

They're right. Bring cash, leave cards.

I did have a little laugh at your post, and my first response is, "Only if you have someone with really good self-control who can lead you while you're blindfolded and this imaginary person promises to only pick what you need to buy (and not every essential thing that he or she sees)."

But I agree on the cash thing. If you only have enough cash for what you want and make a list for the other items you find, you'll do okay. No promises though.

Sure. We live about an hour from one, and I've gone in to buy something and come out with only that something. Sometimes, I'll treat the kids to an ice cream or something on the way out. I've never had the meatballs.

But I'm not a spender. I often leave wants and needs at the store because I can't make myself spend the money.

Is it possible for me to go to ikea to pick up 4 very particular and specific items which are in my budget? Ds is convinced we can't get out if there without spending at least 500 bucks...i told him that_I_ have self control....but am i kidding myself? There are many things we need but just can't afford right now, so we are trying to limit to or absolute essential (a bookcase, two chairs and two small desks for the kids).......

It is statistically possible. It is otherwise improbable! :lol:

Faith

It is possible for me, but I don't know about you. Take cash and leave the credit cards at home if that will help.

He hates Ikea... hates the crowds, hates the quantity of stuff there, very skeptical of the meatballs..... :lol:

I took him there once and we were in and out in ten minutes with one desk and him on his phone posting to FB that he had a new least favorite place in the world.

Me though? I'd have to leave the cards at home and take exactly the right amount of cash. And then I'd probably change my list while I was there.

I did have a little laugh at your post, and my first response is, "Only if you have someone with really good self-control who can lead you while you're blindfolded and this imaginary person promises to only pick what you need to buy (and not every essential thing that he or she sees)."

Take me! I don't always have good self-control but I've walked out of Ikea empty handed.

It is possible for me, but I don't know about you. Take cash and leave the credit cards at home if that will help.

I bought one pack wooden clothes hangers when I went in looking for wooden clothes hangers after I organized the front closet. But that is me.

Take pictures of what you'll go back for later. Agree about the cash thing. When we went it was more on a whim, not for anything specific, so I had a limited amount. It was kind of painful, but I thought we could go back. Now we've moved and the nearest IKEA is a day away.

So, what is the proximity and how often can you get there?

It I'd about an hour and a half away,a bit more, but we need to board the dogs each time we go...plus this week we can go without the kids as they are in camp, which is much preferable to me.

Have you ever been there before? I think it's easy to go crazy if it's your first time there, but easier if you have been there. I don't really go crazy in Ikea anymore, so I think it's possible to stay calm. I have never eaten there either but have bought the lingonberry jam twice. It's not bad but has a chemical aftertaste, perhaps due to the preservative that's in it.

We rarely go through the store, instead going right into the warehouse. A quick check online before our visit arms us with the location info.

I either walk through and buy nothing, which is still fun, or buy more then I planned. Sticking exactly to my list and only buying what is on it is not going to happen, because look at that it would work in xyz, and that would work for abc, and oh I need some more of those containers for efg!

We rarely go through the store, instead going right into the warehouse. A quick check online before our visit arms us with the location info.

:iagree:Yep, this is the way to do it! We did this last time. Then most of what you see are cardboard boxes, much less enticing:001_smile: DO NOT walk through the show rooms!!!!

Mary

Go only with enough cash to buy what you plan on buying. Don't take cards of any sort.

:iagree: and take many children, so you will want to get out of there faster. Hungry children are better, because they are whiny and really inspire one to leave quickly to eat the lunch packed in the car. :001_smile:

Yep. I go through the housewares bit but never, ever will I get ensnared in the maze of IKEA showrooms. In my Ikea, the entrance to housewares is behind the kids' jumping area, not far from the bathrooms, but I doubt this is standard.

I vote for this idea....also bring cash, leave cards at home.

Although I have used my moms idea...she loads everything she wants in a cart, drives it around for an hour or two and then leave the cart.....

she says it was hers for an hour....LOL (she takes cash too):D

We spent $54 (not including food) when we went to Ikea but it was more of a scouting mission that a mission-to-buy. Dh will be more prepared next trip, he didn't know what he was getting into when he agreed to drive 100 miles just to go to a store. :lol: He was also bewildered when I started taking pictures and posting them to facebook. :lol:

Edited by Sis

:iagree: and take many children, so you will want to get out of there faster. Hungry children are better, because they are whiny and really inspire one to leave quickly to eat the lunch packed in the car. :001_smile:

LOL :iagree: Yes!

And, in my experience, if you can bicker with your DH the whole time you are there even though you already agreed on what you were going for, it's even better for the bank account! :tongue_smilie:

Okay, I haven't read all of the responses but I have a suggestion. What if you enter through the exit side? Ikea has all of their 'boxes' on the exit side. You could just go in with the numbers, get the little trolley thingy, load up your boxes and get directly in line. You wouldn't even have to walk through the whole thing?

I don't know if that would work... but hey... it's worth a shot!