Menu

Board Game Suggestions for boring people?

We've never been much of a board game playing family. Not sure why. Addicted to our old, boring habits I guess. Well, that's about to change! I'm planning ahead for our first camping trip in the trailer, and want to stock a few games. I have Monopoly, Scrabble, and a few card games. Any suggestions so we don't just sit at the camp site staring at each other? :001_huh: :lol:

Sorry

Clue

Ticket to Ride (we've got about five versions of this...-- my fave)

Dominoes (not exactly a "board game")

Catch Phrase (also not board game)

Apples to Apples (card game -- we like the Junior version for including the kids so we don't have to explain to them who Burt Reynolds is, etc.)

Carcasonne (sp?)

Journeys of Paul (CC -- only decent Christian game I've found)

Apples to Apples (card game -- we like the Junior version for including the kids so we don't have to explain to them who Burt Reynolds is, etc.)

:iagree:

That is our favorite family game. The more people playing the more fun it is. You have to think think from someone else's perspective and that is a GREAT exercise!

We play lots of games, Trouble, Aggravation, Sorry, Monopoly, SmartMouth, Uno, Chinese Checkers, Spades and others, I'd have to go look in the closet to find.

LOVE Settlers of Catan!

We also love Clue, Battleship, Boggle (my personal favorite,because I always dominate :tongue_smilie:).

We really like having one of those little sets that has checkers, chess, Chinese checkers, mancala, backgammon, etc. Ours is from Target and cost maybe $20(?).

Balderdash is such a fun board game! We always end up laughing so hard at the definitions/descriptions which are made up by the game players. :D

Here's the description from Amazon:

• Classic Bluffing Board Game
  • Categories contain real but unbelievable content about People, Words, Initials, and Movies
  • Players make up phony answers, read them off along with the correct answer, and others vote on which answer is real
  • Score points for guessing correctly and for bluffing the other players
  • Grab the bull by the horns and play Balderdash, the game that's hilarious beyond belief

Ticket to Ride

Settlers of Catan

Carcassone

Bohnanza (very fun card game! one of our favorites!)

Taboo

Dominion

Fluxx

Pandemic -- about the only game my brother and I can play together without fighting because you're all working together on the same side!

Edited by jujsky

Banangrams, Zip It!, Apples to Apples. Only two people can play Zip It, but Banangrams can be played by several folks, and it's a fast game! Sometimes I can't stay awake through Monopoly, Settlers (which can be very cut-throat here), or The Game of Life etc. ;) I also like fast card games. Uno comes to mind.

Edited by LibraryLover

Balderdash is such a fun board game! We always end up laughing so hard at the definitions/descriptions which are made up by the game players. :D

Here's the description from Amazon:

• Classic Bluffing Board Game

• Categories contain real but unbelievable content about People, Words, Initials, and Movies

• Players make up phony answers, read them off along with the correct answer, and others vote on which answer is real

• Score points for guessing correctly and for bluffing the other players

• Grab the bull by the horns and play Balderdash, the game that's hilarious beyond belief

:iagree: This is our all time favorite game as well. Another good game that is fun and pretty educational is Bezzerwizzer. Not a good choice for younger kids. I think teenagers might be able to swing it.. but it is trivia so they may not.

eta: we have so many on going jokes from our times playing Balderdash. It is too much fun.

We enjoy Fluxx, it is a card game and very fun.

We also like Chrononauts, a cardgame about timelines and history.

Looney labs is full of very nice people. I have had excellent customer service from them. I recently had a problem where my four year old had absconded with my dinosaur cards from Chrononauts. I contacted them to ask about more dinosaurs. They were tickled that the dinosaur cards were stolen and sent me more free of charge. :)

I also like Carcassone as well as Settlers of Catan. I own Killer Bunnies as well, if your children won't find bunny violence funny they may not like it. :lol:

I would also mention Gloom which is yet another card game. It has an Edward Gorey-esque setting, you each have a "family" and your goal is to create the most miserable existence possible for your family members until they are killed off. it is both hilarious and fun. If you do not find humor in the macabre you might not like it.

I used to work in a game store and our collection is extensive.

Edited by Sis

For camping I would think about what kind of pieces are involved. How big the box is.

For instance, Puerto Rico, has so many pieces. That would be a nightmare on camping trip.

Card games might be good.

Bohnanza (trading beans, planting fields, silly pictures, good with any age)

For Sale (buy houses, selling houses, good with a large group, easy)

Bang! (spaghetti western, outlaws against the sheriff and deputy)

Incan Gold (press your luck, explore and collect treasure)

Saboteur (tunneling for treasure, cooperative, 1 person sabotages the others)

Larger boxes.

Faces (like apples to apples but with old pictures of people)

Dixit (like apples to apples but the pictures are really quirky and you don't want everyone to chose yours...just someone)

Dominion (card collecting and building, fun, easy, if people can shuffle)

Yeah, for camping I would definitely lead toward card games or games with less pieces.

And I would aim to have a variety of types of things - old favorites like Parcheesi and Uno, something new to you, something silly like Balderdash or Apples to Apples, something with strategy.

We love Blokus.

:iagree: One of my all-time faves.

We also really enjoy Sequence. Besides regular Sequence, there is also a States and Capitals version and a Bible version.

My kids have always liked Pictureeka. (not sure if I spelled that right...)

You MUST try Monopoly Deal! It is soooo fun. We got it for Christmas one year, took it to the in-laws and within a week everyone in the family had their own deck. It doesn't take long to learn and you will LOVE it! I promise. (It's a $5 deck of cards that you can get at Wal-Mart or place like that)

We're a camping family, and board games are great. But I hope you're not seriously ordering more than 2!!

What kind of place are you camping? State parks usually have some great trails, fishing, biking, hiking, etc., and are typically a lot cheaper. We've been to a couple that had fantastic nature centers.

Privately owned campgrounds come in a few varieties. You have your party campgrounds where people are up late, playing music, drinking, etc. A little "louder" atmosphere. Then you have family campgrounds, where there are activities, swimming, bunco, etc. Rent a canoe, paddleboat or tandem bike. Then there are state parks and campgrounds that are more geared toward the biking, hiking, nature trails, etc. They sometimes have packs that you can check out for free that are filled with activities to try, broken down by age group.

Either way, there are great camping games like ladder golf, jarts, etc. Try some camp cooking with pudgie pies, foil pack meals, s'mores, etc. We love our dutch oven, but that's a bit more advanced camp cooking.

Board games are great fillers, but i'd take advantage of some of the things you can't do at home.

Edited by Mallorie

Sorry

Clue

Ticket to Ride (we've got about five versions of this...-- my fave)

Dominoes (not exactly a "board game")

Catch Phrase (also not board game)

Carcasonne (sp?)

Journeys of Paul (CC -- only decent Christian game I've found)

Do you have the new India board? It's good! My fave is Asia though!

I'll add one more to your overflowing basket --

Wise and Otherwise

This is probably the game we play most frequently with friends and family. It's a lot of fun especially given the ages of your children.

Seconding Fluxx, Bananagrams, and SET.

Regards,

Kareni

From the description of Wise and Otherwise...<<Aptly described as Confucius plays Balderdash.>> :001_huh: :lol:

I'll add one more to your overflowing basket --

Wise and Otherwise

This is probably the game we play most frequently with friends and family. It's a lot of fun especially given the ages of your children.

Seconding Fluxx, Bananagrams, and SET.

Regards,

Kareni

We LOVE Wise and Otherwise. IT's like Balderdash with wise sayings. It is hilarious.

We've never been much of a board game playing family. Not sure why. Addicted to our old, boring habits I guess. Well, that's about to change! I'm planning ahead for our first camping trip in the trailer, and want to stock a few games. I have Monopoly, Scrabble, and a few card games. Any suggestions so we don't just sit at the camp site staring at each other? :001_huh: :lol:

Haven't read all responses, but here are our faves: Apples to Apples, Taboo, Cards: Rummy, Golf

If you look on the Geek and Sundry website they have a board game review show called Tabletop. They actually play the games but be warned they are played by adults and there is the odd bit of swearing. They have reviewed Settlers of Catan, Smallworld, Ticket to ride, Gloom and some others. There are quite a few more episodes I just can't remember the games.