Menu

did you hear what Ryan Lochte'm mom said

she said that her son only has time for one night stands. Hoping that she meant something else and not realizing what that means lol. Such as when my dh asks my teen dc if they are hooking up with so and so later on in the day. I have explained to him what that means but he keeps forgetting and still says that (dd does not appreciate it when he asks her that).

I haven't heard the mom. I don't think he is all bad. Most male athletes, not just swimmers, have a bit of cockiness and arrogance.

He makes a point of signing every autograph request--he remembers his own idol refusing to give him an autograph when he was 8. He won't name who his idol was, but the person was a swimmer and given Locte's age we do not need to go back that many Olympics to narrow down the options. Anyway, Lochte remembers the feeling and doesn't want to do that to another kid.

she said that her son only has time for one night stands. Hoping that she meant something else and not realizing what that means lol. Such as when my dh asks my teen dc if they are hooking up with so and so later on in the day. I have explained to him what that means but he keeps forgetting and still says that (dd does not appreciate it when he asks her that).

:lol::lol::lol: This reminds me of dd18 listening to Simon & Garfunkel's Homeward Bound. There is a line "on a tour of one night stands, my suitcase and guitar in hand" while his love is waiting for him at home. She exclaimed "what a jerk" I had to explain that that meant "one night gig" (jobs) back then. :lol::lol:

I have no idea what the swimmer's mom meant but it probably wasn't musical gigs.

She probably meant what she said. It would be difficult for competitive athletes at that level to have long term relationships. With traveling and insane practice hours, the intense focus it takes to compete ....I can see it being a very true statement.

I haven't heard the real quote but I once dated a guy whose family was very point blank about sex. It was dinner table conversation around there and I could absolutely hear one of them saying that, and condoning it.

ETA: Just wanted to say that I don't agree with his lifestyle, but I am not surprised to hear a mother say it so bluntly.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I have heard teens using "hooking up" as a general term recently. It took me off guard the first time until I realized the conversation was going in a different direction. I get to engage in a lot of teen conversation since I have 2 part time jobs (swim instructor and math/science teacher)

Last night we watched Nathan Adrian win gold and he wasn't at all cocky. The commentators even said he is well liked by all, including Lochte and Phelps. He had no chip on his shoulder. I think it is the person and not a rule within the sport that makes a person cocky.

I will say I do not like athletes with a cocky chip on their shoulder... makes me not want to root for them at all.

As to Lochte's mom.... doesn't surprise me. That's all I'll say on that.

Here is an article that includes the interview with his mom.

Ryan Lochte’s mother knows how hard he trains and how busy he is, trying to be the best swimmer in the world.

So she’s warning girls everywhere that Ryan doesn’t have time for a girlfriend — in case they were curious.

“He goes out on one-night stands,†Ike Lochte told Today.com while being interviewed on the set of NBC’s Today show. “He’s not able to give fully to a relationship because he’s always on the go.â€

I wonder if she actually means that he goes on one-time dates, rather than dating one person long term?

He sounds quite arrogant in the rest of the article.

He makes a point of signing every autograph request--he remembers his own idol refusing to give him an autograph when he was 8. He won't name who his idol was, but the person was a swimmer and given Locte's age we do not need to go back that many Olympics to narrow down the options. Anyway, Lochte remembers the feeling and doesn't want to do that to another kid.

Well, that's *something*.

Yup -- I read about it here:

http://www.peopleiwanttopunchinthethroat.com/2012/08/ryan-lochte-and-his-mom.html

And before you go to that link, the blogger drops the eff bomb.......many, many times.....and other bombs as well. if it offends you, don't go there.

:lol::lol::lol: The blogger calls him a "douchecanoe" which may be the funniest word I have ever heard.

Well, turns out he's just the kinda guy you want your daughter to bring home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/ryan-lochte-sex-one-night-stands-deep-thoughts-olympian-love-romance_n_1729720.html?ir=Sports&ref=topbar

I have to say, with all the medal chewing going on (retainers or not), I'd sure be a lot more envious if I knew there was a hunk of chocolate inside that gold wrapper.:lol:

Here is an article that includes the interview with his mom.

I wonder if she actually means that he goes on one-time dates, rather than dating one person long term?

He sounds quite arrogant in the rest of the article.

I thought maybe she meant one time dates, also. At least I hope so.

When I first saw the grill thing (which retails at over $150,000, I believe,) I just thought he had braces.

Not that attractive.

I do not see the appeal in those things!

He's a very handsome young man, but the more I hear him speak, the less appealing he becomes. I wish he and his mom would Just. Shut. Up. :glare:

Well, turns out he's just the kinda guy you want your daughter to bring home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/01/ryan-lochte-sex-one-night-stands-deep-thoughts-olympian-love-romance_n_1729720.html?ir=Sports&ref=topbar

I have to say, with all the medal chewing going on (retainers or not), I'd sure be a lot more envious if I knew there was a hunk of chocolate inside that gold wrapper.:lol:

The video at the end was priceless. "In one ear and through the other." Yep!:lol::lol::lol:

And what is up with Ryan Lochte's diamond grill (retainer)? Maybe everyone is doing this and I am just clueless (very possible), but I was actually shocked to see him with that. Are other's wearing bling in their mouth too?

I was shocked as well. What a douchecanoe. :lol:

Seriously, who wears those things other than hard core rappers? :001_huh:

Well, just because someone is ______________, an athlete, a Catholic, Chinese, whutever) doesn't grant them perfection status. (all fill-in-the-blanks are part of our family, hence why chosen...)

I can admire the dude's accomplishments without wanting to emulate his personal choices. Ya know? But, how old is his mother? Kind of a classless comment. Who discusses their child's sex life? (OK, I'm old. Maybe younger mothers do... :confused:)

I have three thoughts on this.

1. To be a world-class swimmer and always be one step behing Phelps and being compared to him, I'm thinking you have to tell yourself that you're good enough to beat him. It could be he's adopted that attitude to push himself and believe in himself. Plus, he's been told by many others that he's great and I'm sure at that age, it does something to your ego.

2. About the one-night stands, well, he goes to UF. When I was there many years ago, there were many, many, many one night stands going on. I'm quite certain they are still today. His mom, while she might not have chosen the best words, was likely speaking accurately. Whether it's because he's training too hard to have a girlfriend or whether he's 20-something and good-looking, I don't blame the guy for doing what many other guys that age would love to be able to do.

3. He could just be an egotistical douch-canoe who is used to getting his way and has no redeeming qualities other than being a great swimmer.

I read that there are boxes and boxes of condoms all over the dorms. I wish I could find the quote, which went something like 'There are more condoms per capita in the Olymipic Village than anywhere on earth." Lots of those young people are 'hooking up'. Imgaine: being so strong, young and gorgeous; the most attractive you will probably ever be in your life, endorphins racing. Ater a heated meet, I can understand wanting to go find some nice tall Sweede or Brazilian or ? ;)

Not condoing it, only imagining it. I have not watched the Olympics, and do not know the kid you're talking about. But there is sex going in that thar village and lots of it. I am shocked, shocked, I tell you! :D

Edited by LibraryLover

The focus was on Phelps so much during prior Olympic games, that I never really listened to Lochte speak. When they started talking to Lochte during this Olympics, I kept finding myself inwardly chuckling. Talented athlete. I'm not sure if there's much else going on upstairs :lol:.

I read that there are boxes and boxes of condoms all over the dorms. I wish I could find the quote, which went something like 'There are more condoms per capita in the Olymipic Village than anywhere on earth." Lots of those young people are 'hooking up'. Imgaine, being gorgeous, strong, the most attractive you will probably ever be in your life, endorphins racing; after a heated meet, I can understand wanting to go find some nice tall Sweede or Brazilian or ? ;)

Not condoing it, only imagining it. I have not watched the Olympics, and do not know the kid you're talking about. But there is sex going in that thar village and lots of it. I am shocked, shocked, I tell you! :D

According to my Time magazine Summer Olympic Special issue (!), the Olympic Village provided 150,000 condoms (up 50% from the number made available in Beijing!).

The focus was on Phelps so much during prior Olympic games, that I never really listened to Lochte speak. When they started talking to Lochte during this Olympics, I kept finding myself inwardly chuckling. Talented athlete. I'm not sure if there's much else going on upstairs :lol:.

Well, if you believe his mom, it would appear that there's quite a bit going on... ummm... downstairs...

I have nothing new to add to the discussion, but I wanted to take this opportunity to use the word, douchecanoe, in a sentence.

And there it was.

My work here is done.

I dearly want to tag this thread, but am a chicken. :001_huh:

I'm going to have to stand up for the guy. He may give a horrid interview (haven't watched any). He may date a lot of women, even have one night stands. But the guy has some class when it comes to his fans. My kids' team practices where the Olympic team practiced. We saw a good bit of the swimmers. Lochte was a perfect gentleman/sportsman while dealing with his fans. He took the time to stop and say hello. He waved at them from the pool deck. He did try to sign all autographs that were asked. (Okay, so he didn't actually do it. His trainer dragged him away right as it was my kids' turn. Said he would be back in five minutes...right.) He posed for pictures. He went out of his way to get a picture with one girl because it was her birthday. He was such an inspiration to the kids that several parents are planning to send their children to swim camp where ever he is going to be participating in the future.

On the one night stand....I heard many of the college girls who were figuring out how to slip him their phone numbers. I can easily believe one night stands are happening. The girls were trying to line up to participate.

:lol::lol::lol: The blogger calls him a "douchecanoe" which may be the funniest word I have ever heard.

:lol::lol:

I have nothing new to add to the discussion, but I wanted to take this opportunity to use the word, douchecanoe, in a sentence.

And there it was.

My work here is done.

:lol::lol::lol:I must figure out a way to use THAT word.W

According to my Time magazine Summer Olympic Special issue (!), the Olympic Village provided 150,000 condoms (up 50% from the number made available in Beijing!).

That is quite a lot of condoms. Maybe they ran out in Beijing. It would be interesting to be on the Olympic committee, and what committee is in charge of condoms? I can hear that poor person. 'Please, people. More condoms. Beijing seriously miscalculated need."

Edited by LibraryLover

No kidding!

Isn't that CREEPY?! :ack2:

It doesn't seem that his mom is too old to know what "one night stands" means now. It's meant this as long as I can remember, and I'm an older mom.

What creeps me out is WHY does him mom know quite so much about his personal, um, life? :ack2:

I watched him swim tonight, and all I could think was about this interview. I've been scarred.;)

What creeps me out is WHY does him mom know quite so much about his personal, um, life? :ack2:

Yes, it is a very strange world when a mom is bragging about one night stands, but the young man is mute on the subject (as both should be....).

:lol:

I can't say that I care if he's having one night stands, but I find it odd that his mom knows all about it and I find it really, really weird that she chose to share that with the world.

I just can't get over it, she shared her son's sex life with the Today show.

Salon has a great take. http://www.salon.com/2012/08/02/ryan_lochtes_mom_explains_his_sex_life/

It doesn't seem that his mom is too old to know what "one night stands" means now. It's meant this as long as I can remember, and I'm an older mom.

I watched him swim tonight, and all I could think was about this interview. I've been scarred.;)

Yeah, we knew what a one night stand was when I was in high school. And that was plenty long ago.

I kept imagining all of the athletes in wild activities. Disturbing.