Menu

Our van was totaled, Odyssey or Sienna?

We have an Odyssey overnight (XL-E), and today we test-drive the Sienna.

I still resent the fact that we have to be shopping for a new van. That money could have gone to the new driveway we need or the new kitchen counter and floor we need.

The 2012 Odyssey has no where near the get up and go that the 2007 had. Other than that, it's fine. I know the Sienna has a little more horse power. So, if you have test driven both, tell me why you chose the Odyssey or Sienna. Thanks!

Have no experience with Honda's but can say I have proudly owned a Sienna for 12 years and she has 205k miles and still runs like a dream. It helps though that hubby is a Certified Toyota Technician. I know that Honda fans are die hard and so are Toyota fans.

I think with both you are getting a high quality vehicle and it comes down to finances and preference. You get what you pay for and with either will be driving it years after someone's Dodge dies on the side of the road.

Have no experience with Honda's but can say I have proudly owned a Sienna for 12 years and she has 205k miles and still runs like a dream. It helps though that hubby is a Certified Toyota Technician. I know that Honda fans are die hard and so are Toyota fans.

I think with both you are getting a high quality vehicle and it comes down to finances and preference. You get what you pay for and with either will be driving it years after someone's Dodge dies on the side of the road.

Ditto on the Sienna. Ours is 12.5 years old and runs great!! I think it is supposed to have better gas mileage that the Oddyssey - at least that was the case when we were buying ours. I absolutely love the features in the newer Siennas. If we didn't need a smaller car, I would definitely replace our current one with a newer one in 10 years when it dies:).

We have an Odyssey overnight (XL-E), and today we test-drive the Sienna.

I still resent the fact that we have to be shopping for a new van. That money could have gone to the new driveway we need or the new kitchen counter and floor we need.

The 2012 Odyssey has no where near the get up and go that the 2007 had. Other than that, it's fine. I know the Sienna has a little more horse power. So, if you have test driven both, tell me why you chose the Odyssey or Sienna. Thanks!

We LOVE our Sienna and we were looking at used, we would have been equally as happy with an Odyssey. The best deal at the time was on the Toyota.

It drives like a dream, seats 7, the seats fold down, the seats are comfy, we get 23 mpg around town and 26 mpg on the highway, the engine is very quiet - much, much quieter than any Gm/Chrysler/Ford product we tried, and it has a reputation for getting very high mileage before the transmission shows wear and tear.

We test drove both and really loved them equally, however, at the time the Sienna only 84,000 miles on it (low mileage to us) and was recently taken as a trade in - the dealer made a very reasonable deal on it. Normally, we don't buy from a dealer, but in our area of Michigan, used Sienna's and Odyssey's are not easy to find and sold by owner, last maybe a day once advertised...very hard to get.

Faith

Or until someone rear-ends us, right? We imagined this one lasting 15-20 years, but it only made it to 5.

we test drove both, and bought the mazda 5 instead. i like it best of all, but the primary reason we drove it was mileage and cost..... we could have almost two mazda 5's for the cost of an odyssey! it seats six, and handles more like a car than a van, with a good turning radius. the cost of gas isn't going to go down significantly, maybe ever again, so that weighed in heavily, too.

hth,

ann

Is the van repairable? My mother had an accident after which the insurance adjuster totaled the car, but dm used the money to have it repaired. Someone with more insurance knowledge might give you more information.

I've never driven an Odyssey, but we have a Sienna that just rolled over 200,000 and it's still going strong.

So, if you have test driven both, tell me why you chose the Odyssey or Sienna. Thanks!

We owned an Odyssey and traded it in on a Sienna. And not when it was on it's last lags either. We drive out cars mostly into the ground. So the fact that we traded it when it still had lots and lots of miles left is significant. Something to do with the transmission.

Love love love my Sienna! We looked at 2 cars when it was time - the Sienna and the Suburban. (Loaded Sienna, stripped down Suburban) The thing that chose it for us was the Sienna's time for 60 mph to 0. Yes, speeding up is nice but the braking is important for accident avoidance.

I test drove both, in 2008, so not the newest version of either. We bought a Sienna because I felt like it fit me better. I'm short (5'3") and the Odyssey just felt like it was built for someone with longer limbs. I didn't find it comfortable.

We LOVE our Sienna and we were looking at used, we would have been equally as happy with an Odyssey. The best deal at the time was on the Toyota.

Same here. Our 2002 Silhouette was totaled last year even though it didn't look bad. The age plus the fact that Oldsmobile doesn't exist anymore is what caused the ins. company to total it. We looked at and test drove a number of used vans. Both the Odyssey and the Sienna had what we liked, but the better deal was on the Sienna. It's a 2004 and I love it. I thought I loved my other van until I got this one.

I completely understand your resentment. One of our vehicles was totaled recently, through no fault of our own (it was legally parked). Now we have to come up with the money to replace it because there is no way we can buy a comparable vehicle with the insurance payment.

We have an older Sienna that we've owned for years and are happy with it. It had only one issue, with the power door, which was completely covered under warranty and hasn't recurred. I am happy with it and have no complaints.

Is the van repairable? My mother had an accident after which the insurance adjuster totaled the car, but dm used the money to have it repaired. Someone with more insurance knowledge might give you more information.

I've never driven an Odyssey, but we have a Sienna that just rolled over 200,000 and it's still going strong.

cars are declared totaled based upon how much the car would cost to fix vs how much it is worth. you do need to look at what exactly the damage is - some types are not worth fixing, no matter the cost. sometimes it's just a cost analysis, and sometimes it really IS totaled. my mother took the money for her car and fixed it - but it is still declared "totaled" on the registration.

My Volvo was "totaled" two years ago by the insurance company. It was already paid for and cost less than what they gave us to repair it so we just repaired it and have saved (so far) two years of unnecessary car payments.

are you having to buy b/c the insurance won't cover the cost of the same vehicle? My mom's CRV was totaled and she couldn't get anything the same year/mileage for what they offered. She ended up getting another brand. But in hindsight she realizes she should have pushed for more money(easy to show you can't get same car for price they offer) or sued in a civil suit. She too ended up paying to get another car that had it not been totaled would have been good another 5-10 years. Sorry you are going through this.

are you having to buy b/c the insurance won't cover the cost of the same vehicle? My mom's CRV was totaled and she couldn't get anything the same year/mileage for what they offered. She ended up getting another brand. But in hindsight she realizes she should have pushed for more money(easy to show you can't get same car for price they offer) or sued in a civil suit. She too ended up paying to get another car that had it not been totaled would have been good another 5-10 years. Sorry you are going through this.

:iagree:

Always do your own research. Find comparable cars from both private owner sales and dealer sales to prove the value you want to get from the insurance. I've never been left owing money.

We preferred the Odyssey. The brakes on the Sienna felt spongey to me, and I disliked the zig-zag pattern of moving from park to drive. I also thought it was easier to get the Odyssey's back row of seating to lay flat. My husband is tall, and I suspect my kids are going to be too....I liked that I could fit 3 6'+ tall 240# guys in the back row of the Odyssey and they all had leg room.

Here, the Odyssey has more of a straight line depreciation....when you're buying new, that's an advantage. If you're buying a minivan that is a year or two old, the Sienna is a better deal.

Since you have only 2 kids at home now, have you thought about changing out of a van? I wouldn't get another van with only my 2 riding around with me now. I hate every time I fill up!! I hate that it's $80.... and that doesn't last for long.

I have a Sienna and I like it... I think that they are about the same. I use only the Premium gas because it's better for my van and in the end costs about the same per mile.

We have a '06 Sienna. I liked both, but my dh prefered the Sienna. If we put injector cleaner in every once in awhile we can get 32mpg on the highway. I have gotten 35mpg, but only every once in awhile and only in the summer. My brother also got a Sienna and he got the optional 8th seat in the middle. They love their van too.

The only complaint I've had with my van is that we had to change the front suspension when it was only a few years old. Other than that, it hasn't given us any trouble at all, and we're hard on vehicles.

Or until someone rear-ends us, right? We imagined this one lasting 15-20 years, but it only made it to 5.

Mine was t-boned a couple years ago and at the time it was valued at about $4k and to fix it was more than that so insurance was gonna' total it but we couldn't afford anything new or even new used so fortunately hubby had a connection at a Body Shop and the owner got it fixed for less than the value of totalling it. Of course when we got it back the t-boned side was a different shade of green lol. He did fix it though for us.

MY sienna is 13 1/2 years old with over 200,000 miles on it, so I'm a fan, too. Of course, all the door handles are falling off. But the engine and transmission are going strong!

:grouphug: I feel you and send you the HUG because we now have a broken handle due to friends toddler and the strut tops are starting to make noise so we are saving to fix those. Hubby is most bothered though by the hood starting to look it's age now from rocks and road debris and such hitting it. It has however been the MOST reliable vehicle we have ever owned and the vehicle we have owned the longest.

Hubby having worked for 20 years as a Toyota Tech. loves to buy OLD Yotas for dirt cheap. He then cleans them, does minor repairs, then resells them for more than he has invested in them. People LOVE Toyotas!!!!

We have a 2006 Odyssey XLE which I love. Like you, I want my car..not another one.

However, I don't really like the new Odysseys. I drove a new Odyssey and a new Sienna when we thought we might upgrade. We decided to keep or 2006, BUT, I definitely would have chosen the Sienna if we had to make a change.

I like the sportiness of the Odyssey, but right now I would enjoy the Sienna's touch of luxury. I also was impressed by the Sienna's power, and felt very much in control while driving it (ease of handling, acceleration, passing, maneuvering, etc.).

I usually prefer the Honda suspension to the Toyota suspension, but once again, I really liked the suspension of the new Sienna.

I haven't read all the replies but we have an '09 Sienna and really like it. We are a Toyota family though. We did test drive an Odyssey when we shopped for our van before this one and we didn't like the way it drove or felt as much. It's hard to explain - more of a feeling? And I felt like the Odyssey was plasticky inside (they may have changed this by now though).

My only complaint about our Sienna is that I find it hard to park. I always seem to have to back up and straighten out. It doesn't turn as sharply as our Mazda MPV (now totalled) did. Otherwise I love it.

:grouphug: I feel you and send you the HUG because we now have a broken handle due to friends toddler and the strut tops are starting to make noise so we are saving to fix those. Hubby is most bothered though by the hood starting to look it's age now from rocks and road debris and such hitting it. It has however been the MOST reliable vehicle we have ever owned and the vehicle we have owned the longest.

Hubby having worked for 20 years as a Toyota Tech. loves to buy OLD Yotas for dirt cheap. He then cleans them, does minor repairs, then resells them for more than he has invested in them. People LOVE Toyotas!!!!

We've already replaced one side door handle ($300!) and now the one on the other side has fallen off AND the rear handle just snapped. I see old Siennas with missing door handles all the time, so it must either be more common than in other cars or more expensive to fix. BUT we're closing on our old house on Monday (I have to knock wood every time I say that), so I think we'll be able to use some of that money to get a new (old) van. We're looking at a 2008 or newer because of the 8th seat. I thought about looking at Odysseys or even Kias, but after how great the Sienna has been for us (door handles excepted) I can't see going with anything else.

We have an '04 Sienna and test drove both. So, my information is old, take it with a grain of salt. We liked the way our Sienna handled better, and it was much more comfortable. I love my Sienna. It has an amazing turn radius, lots of get up and go, it's never broken down. If I totaled my car today, I'd get another one in a heart beat.

I love our Sienna. I found it almost new at autotrader.com, it had leather and everything else we wanted and we got an amazing deal on it, plus it was still under warranty. (They guy had bought it and then decided he couldn't really afford it.) You might want to check there before buying something brand new.

Dawn bolds something, but I am answering otherwise.:blush: We've owned many Toyotas here and continue to love them. We bought an Odyssey, however, because we got a great deal on one. At the time, we were happy to choose either. They were both great choices, and it came down to what was available.

Sienna all the way. I can't get over the swagger wagon commercial! :D

I have the same one we bought 7 years ago, it's fully loaded.

My mom got one 2 years ago and the middle seats have recliner foot rests that come up!! I'll buy the same one in another few years before this is too old to sell.

I test drove both last year (2011) and bought the Sienna. The main reason for the decision was that at the time, at least, the backup screen -- which was an absolute must for us -- was available on one of the lower-end Sienna models but not on the Odyssey. So we would have had to spend considerably more to get an Odyssey with a backup camera than to get a Sienna with one. I am not sure if this is still true, though.

I thought that the Odyssey's interior was a bit better set up, but the Sienna had a tighter turning radius.

We just bought a '12 Odyssey, for me, it was because the safety ratings were better than on the Sienna, and overall they got better ratings for most things. I really liked that the Sienna has a 4WD option, and I wish the Odyssey did. It also felt like it handled better and braked better. I've never had a mini van before and I've so fallen in love with it. It's amazing. I will sing it's praises all day long :001_smile:

We had a Odyssey for 10 years, and put 313,000km on it. We loved it! We just bought a 2011 Sienna (8-seater) and LOVE it!

Both are wonderful. I'm not crazy about the new design of the Honda, but it's still a great vehicle.

Sorry about the collision, but best of luck with choosing your new van!