Menu

Your Amazingness is Intimidating

We started homeschooling last year through a charter school. I was so worried I couldn't do it. I used the general curricula our ST suggested. Basically what she would've seen in PS and teacher's guides, halfway though we also used ALEKS. We made it through the year, and I really thought I did well, kiddo seemed to be learning.

My s-i-l adores TWTM book (I'm still on the wait list for it through the library) so I came across the forums while looking for more information. I was stoked! Awesome folks that homeschool, yay!

And then I saw all the things you do. My goodness, the extensive length of which curriculum you use, the number of subjects, etc that everyone else is doing/using/loving, has left me feel quite inadequate.

I made up special interest thematic units for the summer. In Autumn we're doing EPGY for supplement LA and math, standard science with supplemental kits from DELTA, and I'm writing the social studies stuff since 4th grade is state history. She took special interest classes through the charter last year and we'll do the same again.

I'm nearly in a panic, convinced I don't do enough. I feel like my lackadaisical approach to art now looks like achromatic coloring. I feel almost ashamed I haven't taught her another language.

However, I am really and truly ecstatic you're all here! I've already gathered a ton of resources and recommendations. There's a lot of funny threads and educational ones that don't necessarily pertain to homeschool, but still rock.

TL,DR: This place rocks!

Not everyone is doing everything.

:leaving:

There are a few thousand people on these boards. At least some of us are slackers in comparison to the folks you're describing. Well, at least me. ;)

I don't even own a copy of TWTM. I read it a long time ago. Didn't agree with every word! Now I get it from the library every few months for a refresher. Then I do my own thing, based (fairly loosely) on it.

There are a few thousand people on these boards. At least some of us are slackers in comparison to the folks you're describing. Well, at least me. ;)

I don't even own a copy of TWTM. I read it a long time ago. Didn't agree with every word! Now I get it from the library every few months for a refresher. Then I do my own thing, based (fairly loosely) on it.

Learn to take a compliment. Just say "thank you" and allow the woman to think every last one of us on this board is amazing. :D

One thing to keep in mind-some of us who are doing a lot as far as subjects go have kids who do most of the work for us, and are homeschooling for that reason. It's impossible to compare a child who needs formal teaching with one for whom the parent can basically provide a car and a credit card and hang on for the ride.

Breathe deeply! Some people here are overachievers, and that's a good thing. It's a diverse group.

Others start with grand plans and are happy to complete more than half of their goals by the end of the year.:seeya: Over the years, I've learned to lower my expectations, and I'm still convinced we are doing the best thing.

Susan's book is wonderful . . . and can be very intimidating. You can find these links on this page of TWTM website. These are Susan's notes of "School at My House," followed a few years later with "A Day at Our House." There are a few other gems on that first linked page. You'll see that Susan is a regular mom just like you, with regular kids just like yours. Your school is not going to look exactly like the book. NO ONE'S SCHOOL DOES!!!!!

Enjoy life with your kids; enjoy the time you have with them when they are little. Make your relationship with them a priority, and the learning will follow along.

This place is a buffet, use what you need leave the rest. I waited almost two year before actually buying WTM. I would read it at the bookstore and go set it back on the shelf, gently, it was intimidating.

I can honestly say I would probably be ubber-freaked out about homeschooling high school without this board. My son's education would look totally different and we'd both be miserable.

Ask lots of questions, read lots of posts, and again take what you need. You'll find some posters that you kind of click with academically.

It helps if you can solidify your goals for homeschooling, that way you won't feel so pulled.

I consider this place my networking site for teaching and self-education. There are people from all over the world, literally, and all walks of life and belief systems. As with everything, enjoy in moderation. :D

When I found myself overwhelmed by the buffet, the book The Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell helped me figure out what I should take and what I should leave behind. I don't use the suggestions in LCC as written, and I still love WTM, but LCC helped me focus, which I really needed.

You'll probably want a personal copy of WTM and WEM.

Break down and buy them, get the highlighter pens out. :)

Welcome.

and those little flag/ post it sticky things to mark heaps of pages.

Breathe deeply! Some people here are overachievers, and that's a good thing. It's a diverse group.

Others start with grand plans and are happy to complete more than half of their goals by the end of the year.:seeya: Over the years, I've learned to lower my expectations, and I'm still convinced we are doing the best thing.

Susan's book is wonderful . . . and can be very intimidating. You can find these links on this page of TWTM website. These are Susan's notes of "School at My House," followed a few years later with "A Day at Our House." There are a few other gems on that first linked page. You'll see that Susan is a regular mom just like you, with regular kids just like yours. Your school is not going to look exactly like the book. NO ONE'S SCHOOL DOES!!!!!

Enjoy life with your kids; enjoy the time you have with them when they are little. Make your relationship with them a priority, and the learning will follow along.

:iagree: with all of this. There are limited hours in the day for everyone. You do what you can, when you can.

Well, we have a native speaker in the house so another language is easy. We are still using Rosetta Stone with them. Just thought I'd throw it out there since you mentioned it. You could all learn together and it would be fun.

I don't compare myself to anyone. Maybe it's just my personality type but I don't even think anything about reading some of what others do. I just think great for them, but my head would spin. I never question myself because my kids are doing well and I am busy enough for me. :D

This! I've had hebrew in my siggy for a few years. It's the first thing to go when we get too busy. Sigh. I'm disappointed by what we don't do, but am learning (maybe) that I need to cut things out and do a few things well, instead of a lot of things poorly. You already know that, so congratulations!

I would *Really, truly, honestly* recommend listening to SWB's lectures before reading the book.

Why? Because the book is intimidating. Susan is not. She's empowering. She shares more of how to practically apply the tome, and you need that because when you are done reading it, you will either make your kids do too much, or you will feel forever inadequate.

Welcome!

Not everyone is doing everything.

:leaving:

:iagree: We don't do everything.In the book and we definately spend less time on seatwork.

:iagree:

pssst....my kids have never learned a foreign language or logic. Not every family is cut out for that intense of an academic schedule. My family farms so we are learning other stuff. And that is just fine.

We don't farm, although DH has a massive garden, bit we own a performing arts academy. My kids are learning dance, theatre, music, art and my 4 year old is pretty handy with the tools. Her trainimg wheel came loose....she got out a wrench and fixed it!

Let the people who are doing amazing things inspire, not intimidate you. It's not a competition. Everyone does the best they can. :)

And honestly, I've come to believe that those siggys are more like a list of what those people would like to use. There's no way to know if they are doing every lesson, or if it's merely an inspirational resource, or if they are tweaking it, or if they have been working on that for a few years.

Some appear to do a lot, and some do a bit less. All that matters is what your personal approach to education is and how your family learns best. I'm not doing Latin for example. We're doing roots based vocabulary but I haven't made a decision one way or the other about learning the entire Latin language. And that's completely okay!!!!

Learn to take a compliment. Just say "thank you" and allow the woman to think every last one of us on this board is amazing. :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Let the people who are doing amazing things inspire, not intimidate you. It's not a competition. Everyone does the best they can. :)

I do, that's why I think this place rocks. I'll work on the not intimidate part.

I would *Really, truly, honestly* recommend listening to SWB's lectures before reading the book.

Welcome!

Sounds like sage advice, thank you!

And thanks to all of you for the welcome!

We made it through the year, and I really thought I did well, kiddo seemed to be learning.

If you feel you did well, you probably did. Don't worry about what everyone else is or isn't doing. You have to do what you think is right. Don't waste a bunch of years trying to live up to someone else's standard. It may not even exist. Or you may be thinking it's done one way, but really the other mom does it another way. Just do it the way you know how. You'll get a lot more done than trying to do it someone else's way. Believe me!

Just wanted to add some of us with long lists do a bit at a time rather then all of it in 9 months. We school year around. When we finish something we move on to the next interesting topic. We do take breaks just not long ones.

My dd thrives with variety. She loves it all. My ds enjoys the variety simply because he gets subjects he likes added in. He survives all things language, literature, and history related in order to do science, math, and computers. Yes, we would normally do those things but because of his interests we do more.

The advantage to this is they try lots of things. Oddly enough ds likes Shakespeare. Doesn't care for any other non science fiction classic but Shakespeare.......I try to add some in once or twice a year.

Thats why I don't list what we are doing here. The list is long and changes regularly. Too hard to update!

Why? Because the book is intimidating. Susan is not. She's empowering. She shares more of how to practically apply the tome, and you need that because when you are done reading it, you will either make your kids do too much, or you will feel forever inadequate.

Welcome!

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I emphatically AGREE. Every time I read the book...I get my grand plan in my mind....then I remember I have to do it with MY kids....hurumph! I listen to SWB's lectures and she is just so real! She makes me feel good about myself as a Mom and a homeschool teacher.

*waves* There are all stripes here. Even some unschoolers! We're very focused on STEM work here and don't pay nearly as much attention to writing *gasp*, grammar *double gasp*, and don't plan to do Latin. Ever.

*watches the general population faint*

(Okay, we will do a root study. But that's it.)

;)

Plus a lot of the items on people's lists are done once or twice a week, not every day.

and those little flag/ post it sticky things to mark heaps of pages.

:iagree: best inventions ever

Don't feel intimidated. Every family approaches things differently, tackle various numbers of subjects etc. If what you are doing is working for your dd than don't let insecurities make you change it

Welcome!

:iagree: I totally agree.

And I'm a foreign language slacker. No worries.

Welcome!

Start with The Joy of Classical Education, because listening to SWB speak immediately dispels the myth that those of us who are doing a lot are joyless whip-crackers. Or that those of us with long signatures must naturally have our kids working from dawn to dusk. Or my personal favorite, that we're lying and couldn't possibly be doing it all.

We do a lot. We've built up to it. My kids thrive on challenge. Plus, there are three of them and I don't do all that's in my signature with each of the kids every day. But one or all of us does do everything that is there in some way, shape, or form every week. And we're happy. And relaxed.

If you feel you did well, you probably did. Don't worry about what everyone else is or isn't doing. You have to do what you think is right. Don't waste a bunch of years trying to live up to someone else's standard. It may not even exist. Or you may be thinking it's done one way, but really the other mom does it another way. Just do it the way you know how. You'll get a lot more done than trying to do it someone else's way. Believe me!

I'll tell you this. If you "up your game" and order more curriculum, all of the sudden you will notice all the threads and posters that give the impression that doing more isn't the right way to go. And you will worry that you're doing too much.

Do less and the people who do more will nag at you.

Do more and the people who do less will nag at you.

Do what you consider average and it will nag at you that you're average. LOL

My best advice? Do what you think is best for your particular kids and family and let nothing else bother you.

You will read posts from math people doing 3+ math programs (and those will be above grade level). You will read posts from literature people who have thousands of books and have kids that read them deeply with appreciation. You will read posts from language people who do multiple languages with their children. You will read posts from music people who have kids playing multiple instruments by age 8. You will read posts from science people about the really cool science projects and experiments their kids designed and completed themselves. Those math people may be doing three languages, playing two+ instruments, reading hundreds of books per year (or Dickens in 4th grade) but probably not. I have to remind myself that I may be able to do really well in one or two subjects, but my kids and I don't have the time or energy or aptitude to excel at everything.

Don't compare someone's best with your average. Don't read everything and think you have to do it all too. I know Lewelma has amazing science posts. And Spycar does a lot of math. And SWB does a lot of language arts. Etc, etc. That doesn't mean that you have to do that much for each and every subject. If you had a successful year, celebrate it. The all knowing, "they" say the first few are the hardest. Sounds like you did a great job.

And sometimes people's signature lists aren't always an accurate reflection of their real life. I was told to start with the 3 r's for preschool and kindergarten, so I did. I was told that when I had those down, I could add the extra subjects, so I did. That's what I think is still in my list. But it was all too much for me and Pigby. Not enough time without crazy toddlers running about. Trying to hurry through the less fun things so we could get to the fun things but by then, Chuck was awake and we couldn't get to the fun things. So we cut FLL and WWE and alternate days of science and history. Our days are much shorter and much funner. But I think I forgot to update my siggy to reflect that. Thanks for the reminder :D

Welcome! It's like anything else. You get better at it as you go on, and you acquire the ability to keep more balls in the air. What is crucial is that you do what is right for *your* family.

A real-life explanation of my siggy: I don't know if my siggy looks like advanced/tons to you or not, but I can say that I have never been brave enough to try EPGY or ALEKS. I am math-phobic and have always used scripted materials or materials that teach directly to the student. I do the bookwork for science, but my husband has to step in to do experiments, which I loathe on a number of levels. And while the Latin and Greek might look impressive, the Latin has been a patient slog through Memoria Press materials (which are not exciting but very thorough and friendly to the non-Latin-trained parent) and the Greek is through a tutor. I am an English/grammar head, so I enjoy the humanities side of things: creating the WTM-purist courses that integrate history and literature, doing grammar, and overseeing writing. So I tend to spend the bulk of my effort with those and let math and science kind of chug along by the "script."

Edited by WTMCassandra

We started homeschooling last year through a charter school. I was so worried I couldn't do it. I used the general curricula our ST suggested. Basically what she would've seen in PS and teacher's guides, halfway though we also used ALEKS. We made it through the year, and I really thought I did well, kiddo seemed to be learning.

My s-i-l adores TWTM book (I'm still on the wait list for it through the library) so I came across the forums while looking for more information. I was stoked! Awesome folks that homeschool, yay!

And then I saw all the things you do. My goodness, the extensive length of which curriculum you use, the number of subjects, etc that everyone else is doing/using/loving, has left me feel quite inadequate.

I made up special interest thematic units for the summer. In Autumn we're doing EPGY for supplement LA and math, standard science with supplemental kits from DELTA, and I'm writing the social studies stuff since 4th grade is state history. She took special interest classes through the charter last year and we'll do the same again.

I'm nearly in a panic, convinced I don't do enough. I feel like my lackadaisical approach to art now looks like achromatic coloring. I feel almost ashamed I haven't taught her another language.

However, I am really and truly ecstatic you're all here! I've already gathered a ton of resources and recommendations. There's a lot of funny threads and educational ones that don't necessarily pertain to homeschool, but still rock.

TL,DR: This place rocks!

I totally understand. I was there once. I am no longer there. Each family is different. Some moms seem to have this very high energy and schooling, extra activities, schooling at the extra activities:001_huh: seems like a very normal rhythm for them and their children. It doesn't work in our family. My kids don't do well in extra activities, my energy level is not very high many days, we have special needs kids and one especially takes a LOT of energy simply to get him through the basics. I have an elderly husband whose health has been deteriating for several years and our oldest adult son is in a power chair requiring several hrs a day care. I used to feel so guilty but I have come to a peace. I know I am doing what is best for our family. That is the beginning and end of it.

I would advice that if your child is learning, enjoying and you are doing the same, don't try to keep up with anyone else. Simply do what you know you are supposed to do.

There's a homeschool store in Sac???!!!!!

Absolutely! It's called A Brighter Child and you can google it. It's in Citrus Heights or someplace, I'm not much good at Sacramento geography. They have a definite classical (and Christian) bent, so you can find a lot of WTM-recommended stuff in there.