Menu

stockings or no stockings ....

No stockings unless you have varicose veins you're trying to hide. Smooth a little liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer on your legs.

If you do stockings, make sure they're the same tone as the rest of your skin--nothing ultra dark, and definitely not WHITE! :D

I'm a vote for stockings. I like how shoes feel better when I'm wearing them and I think they give a more finished appearance. Wear them as close as possible to your leg color and get sheer.

Unless you're wearing a strappy sandal, YES YES YES!

If you're wearing a closed shoe, then of course, absolutely, you wear hose. To wear any closed shoe without hosiery of some kind is gauche; to wear a nice dress, to a wedding, with bare feet inside your closed shoes, is just wrong. If you're wearing nice pants of some kind with a closed shoe, then knee-highs or trouser hose would be fine (and you can get some very cute trouser hose).

I think this is an age/region/culture thing, myself.

No one here wears them unless they are over 60 or it is the dead of winter and they are black tights. But I know there are areas where it is common or even expected.

Umm... I am only the other side of 50 and still think stockings give a more polished or professional look:) Now there are stockings that have a softer, more cottony feel that are more comfortable. OTOH if one is wearing a casual, non-work sundress, then I can see no stockings.

No one here wears them unless they are over 60 or it is the dead of winter and they are black tights...

:iagree:Last time I wore them was in the early 90's for a job interview with a ladies suit...I shudder at the thought now...:D

I vote for stockings with a closed-toe shoe of any kind if it makes YOU feel better about how your legs look.

Open toe or sandal--self-tanning lotion or gel! I'm going to a wedding tomorrow and have a knee-length dress. I'm so glad I tried self-tanner again. I was afraid, but it looks really good and I'm pleased that when the temps are supposed to reach 100 tomorrow that I won't have to wear hose to hide my spider veins! LOL

I use Paula's Choice self-tanning gel, but there are others that are good, too, like Jergens.

:iagree: Unless your shoes are open-toed. (I hate the feelings of closed toed heels without stockings.)

I'm a vote for stockings. I like how shoes feel better when I'm wearing them and I think they give a more finished appearance. Wear them as close as possible to your leg color and get sheer.

No stockings! Plus it is too hot!

:iagree:

If you're wearing a closed shoe, then of course, absolutely, you wear hose. To wear any closed shoe without hosiery of some kind is gauche; to wear a nice dress, to a wedding, with bare feet inside your closed shoes, is just wrong.

You can buy little low footlets that are hidden inside of a shoe. I vote no in the summer.

:iagree: Not to mention they scream "dowdy and matronly". Ditch the stockings forver!!!

I actually like them, but I quit wearing them because of the above. No one under 40 here wears them. 40-60 it is a maybe if you are really being formal or only in cold weather. Women over 60 are the only ones you would find at a summer wedding with stockings on. I'm over 40, but I don't want to LOOK like I'm 60!

Give them up.

I wear pantyhose to weddings or funerals. That's IT. Ok, I'd wear them to like a fancy dinner party or something like that; but we never go to those things. :tongue_smilie: Dh's office doesn't even have a fancy Christmas party.

So yes, I'd wear them. I'd hate it, but I'd wear them.

I googled. I didn't link, because it's an easy google with tons of replies. Even in professional instances, the answer was that flesh toned stocking are out-dated. The general talk was very anti-stocking, with some exceptions for tights and such.

The hosiery area of the store sells "no-shows" which are very low slip-on stockings that the shoe hides.

Since we moved to California 15 years ago, I rarely (read for funerals or in snow country) wear stockings. I just do not need them!!!

I would wear sandals and NO stockings for a summer wedding. For winter, I would wear pumps and stockings if it is cold.

Laura

No one here wears them unless they are over 60 or it is the dead of winter and they are black tights. But I know there are areas where it is common or even expected.

I agree. I haven't worn pantyhose in at least 10 years. I have been to many formal weddings and holiday parties during that time and the only women wearing hose were older (60+).

:iagree: Not to mention they scream "dowdy and matronly". Ditch the stockings forver!!!

Agree! Here it is an older thing to do. Not many under about age 50 do it. It is pretty passe.

I haven't worn them in years. I don't think they are expected anymore, certainly not by anyone under 35. If they really make you feel more pulled together and confident go ahead and wear them but I'd choose something sheer and light. If you hate them I think you have society's full approval to not wear them. I still can't get used to all the exposed bra straps, however, but I'm not under 35. :001_smile:

:iagree: I always find the higher end, nearly invisible ones when I wear a suit. (not the orange "nude" ones, super sheer ones that match my skin tone) Unless it's a beach or daytime lawn wedding, I think they are a must.

I don't wear them-certainly NOT in summer!

I did just read an article though where Prince William's wife Kate wears nude sheer stockings and as a result they are making a big comeback. :glare:

ETA: I think I read it somewhere else (not online) but I just now googled "Kate Middleton sheer stockings" and a bunch came up about it. If you look at the pictures, they do look great on her-she wears very very sheer ones, close to her leg and thin. Of course, on her legs, they look great. And the ones she has are probably $200 a pair so they look WAY better than the Walmart $4.99 ones. lol

Edited by HappyGrace

I don't wear them-certainly NOT in summer!

I did just read an article though where Prince William's wife Kate wears nude sheer stockings and as a result they are making a big comeback. :glare:

ETA: I think I read it somewhere else (not online) but I just now googled "Kate Middleton sheer stockings" and a bunch came up about it.

Boo!

Then I'll just have to be dowdy and matronly along with Kate. :D

My guess is that the "stylists" who recommend no hosiery also think it's fine to let your shirttail hang out below your jacket, and that you can make a denim jacket be dressy. They're wrong on all counts. They should have listened to their mothers' advice. :D

My guess is that the "stylists" who recommend no hosiery also think it's fine to let your shirttail hang out below your jacket, and that you can make a denim jacket be dressy. They're wrong on all counts. They should have listened to their mothers' advice. :D

:iagree::D I also think the flip flops for business or formal attire is not appropriate at all. I live in a city with tons of women professionals and I am contantly shocked to see them wearing business dress without stockings and flip flops:001_huh: To me the flip flops are a worse offense for business attire.

There are actually stocking that have a softer texture without that nylon feel out there.

Edited by priscilla

No stockings. No way. They're hot, itchy and uncomfortable. I'm 31 and I've never seen them on anyone younger than my mom (mid 50's). Except apparently Kate Middleton, but I don't really care what she wears, I hate stockings. If you need something inside your shoes get some of those thin no-show sock thingies.

Ha! Well, I think dressy denim is cute and have no issue with visible shirttails. So I guess you got me there!:D

:lol: Kate has to keep her Grandmother-in-Law happy. And there is NO ONE dowdier than Queen-dyed-to-Match purse, hat and shoes. Although at her age, she gets a pass. I'll bet Kate ditches those stockings as soon as GIL's vision gets so dim that she can't tell whether Kate has them on or not.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :D

Ha! Well, I think dressy denim is cute and have no issue with visible shirttails. So I guess you got me there!:D

You and me both. :) I'm 32.

:lol: Kate has to keep her Grandmother-in-Law happy. And there is NO ONE dowdier than Queen-dyed-to-Match purse, hat and shoes. Although at her age, she gets a pass. I'll bet Kate ditches those stockings as soon as GIL's vision gets so dim that she can't tell whether Kate has them on or not.

When I have an appropriate place to wear a tiara I will *consider* wearing stockings.

*An *appropriate* place to wear a tiara, I don't mean I have gone to the grocery store in a tiara, which I intend to do when I am 70.

Edited by Sis