Menu

stockings or no stockings ....

:lol: Kate has to keep her Grandmother-in-Law happy. And there is NO ONE dowdier than Queen-dyed-to-Match purse, hat and shoes. Although at her age, she gets a pass. I'll bet Kate ditches those stockings as soon as GIL's vision gets so dim that she can't tell whether Kate has them on or not.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :D

:lol:

Then I'll just have to be dowdy and matronly along with Kate. :D

I liked all the ratings in the article. As far as wearing tights/hose/whatever, my legs ain't what they used to be so..if I had a very formal affair to attend, I'd be willing to try on a pair of the newer types of tights and probably wear them. Maybe. How's that for a decision? :tongue_smilie:

I vote no stockings. I resisted the no stocking look myself because my legs are shockingly white, but now I use liquid makeup on my legs (thanks hive!) and I'm a happy camper. Seriously, around here, I haven't seen anyone under 60 wear stockings, summer or winter (tights are okay in winter) in years.

I wear sheer hose whenever I wear dresses or skirts with closed-toed shoes (I'm under 25). I don't like the feel of closed-toed shoes without hose on (too sticky), and those little sock thingies that someone mentioned earlier always either stick out of the top of the shoe or get all wrinkled up between my toes and feel funny.

I don't wear them-certainly NOT in summer!

I did just read an article though where Prince William's wife Kate wears nude sheer stockings and as a result they are making a big comeback. :glare:

ETA: I think I read it somewhere else (not online) but I just now googled "Kate Middleton sheer stockings" and a bunch came up about it. If you look at the pictures, they do look great on her-she wears very very sheer ones, close to her leg and thin. Of course, on her legs, they look great. And the ones she has are probably $200 a pair so they look WAY better than the Walmart $4.99 ones. lol

I read that part of her "contract" as being the Duchess is that she is REQUIRED to wear stockings/pantyhose to all formal appearances. Personally, that might be deal-breaker for me. :tongue_smilie:

The only people I have seen wear stocking in the last...decade? Two? Are my MIL, my mom, and my grandma.

Well, corsets were the style for ages as well but those have died out as well. I'm sure we'd all look better in those too but I'm not for bring them back either.

This is a good point. TMI confession...I am squeamish about panty hose...when I see them I just think about sweating. And then they seem unclean to me. Maybe they make me itch and sweat more than other people, and I am projecting. Maybe they are better now. I haven't worn them for about 20 years. ;)

Current fashion states that we do not wear nylons unless it is to make a statement with color or you are cold. People who want to wear nylons because they are used to it or it feels normal for them can of course wear them :). I can not imagine wearing nude nylons EVER. I didn't even wear them for my wedding.

I don't wear them-certainly NOT in summer!

I did just read an article though where Prince William's wife Kate wears nude sheer stockings and as a result they are making a big comeback. :glare:

ETA: I think I read it somewhere else (not online) but I just now googled "Kate Middleton sheer stockings" and a bunch came up about it. If you look at the pictures, they do look great on her-she wears very very sheer ones, close to her leg and thin. Of course, on her legs, they look great. And the ones she has are probably $200 a pair so they look WAY better than the Walmart $4.99 ones. lol

I saw that, too, but for her, for the things she does, I wouldn't be without them, either. I think our lives are a little different, though. ;)

Well, corsets were the style for ages as well but those have died out as well. I'm sure we'd all look better in those too but I'm not for bring them back either.
Corsets (and corset inspired tops) are making something of a comeback, though thankfully not as underclothes. I have a friend who makes them.

Here's Emma Watson in a corset top.

emma-roberts-glastonbury-corset240do062810.jpg

It wouldn't be pretty, but I'd wear a corset before I'd wear hose.

Edited by nmoira
missing words

Wear them for very formal occasions.

I'm all for a come back of garters and silk stockings. I hate the way nylons make you itch and pinch.

Silk is much better than nylon but I cannot stand either one they give me the heebie jeebies, I'm a cotton kind of gal. As a pp said it feels like I break out into instant sweat if I put them on.

Well ladies I ..... wore stockings. :lol:

I was very comfortable and they were tan.

I think I was the only one wearing them but I felt very pretty. ;)

While I was at the wedding I noticed that there are just some ladies that "need" to wear stockings. :tongue_smilie:

I'm going to post a picture of my dh and myself on my blog but I do not have a full length pic. It's just the upper part. Next time I wear this dress I will get a better pic.

This has been an interesting conversation.:001_smile:

Although, FWIW, one of my daughters does wear corsets and thigh-high stockings on the regular. The stocking are always black, usually fishnet and/or striped, and the corsets are usually under some sort of structured denim jacket or shirt.

But I don't think that sort of outfit is what the OP was asking about. :tongue_smilie: