Menu

Whom would you 1. Marry? 2. Date? 3. Be? All choices must be from literature.

Atticus Finch

Wait! I was going to marry him!! I've been sitting here trying to think of an answer for the dating question. I'm choosing him anyway. So there! :tongue_smilie:

1. Atticus Finch

2. Augustus McCrae from Lonesome Dove

3. Anne Elliot

Edited by Mothersweets

1. Mr. Darcy or Sherlock Holmes (I suspect Doctor Watson would be a much better husband though)

2. Jamie from Outlander

3. Elizabeth Bennet or Nancy Drew

Edited by aggieamy

1. Jamie Fraser from Outlander or Westley from The Princess Bride

2. Ron Weasley, but he would be third in line for the husband. LOL

3. Beatrice from Much Ado About Nothing. I love her, and would just love to argue with Benedick!

I don't get the Mr Darcy love. I supposed if you watch a movie, he's a pretty face. But it the book, he's not someone I'd want. Sure, he has money, but he's not such a nice guy.

I think I could deal with a good role in the hay with Hardy's Jude, as well as Tolstoy's Count Vronsky, although I would marry neither.

Edited by LibraryLover

I don't get the Mr Darcy love. I supposed if you watch a movie, he's a pretty face. But it the book, he's not someone I'd want. Sure, he has money, but he's not such a nice guy.

I think I could deal with a good role in the hay with Hardy's Jude.

How could you? :eek:

Remember he said that he wasn't good in uncomfortable situations. When he was on his own turf though . . .:001_wub:

sigh

I would date and marry him and of course be Elizabeth.

That is . . . unless I was Jane Eyre and then it would be Mr. Rochester.

:D

3. Another vote for Beatrice from Much Ado. I named two of my dc for her and Benedick!:D

BENEDICK: Here comes Beatrice. By this day! she's a fair lady: I do spy some marks of love in her.

Enter BEATRICE

BEATRICE: Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner.

BENEDICK: Fair Beatrice, I thank you for your pains.

BEATRICE: I took no more pains for those thanks than you take pains to thank me: if it had been painful, I would not have come.

BENEDICK: You take pleasure then in the message?

BEATRICE: Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife's point and choke a daw withal. You have no stomach, signior: fare you well.

Exit

BENEDICK: Ha! 'Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner;' there's a double meaning in that...

I so adore those two! I thought the movie adaptation by Kenneth Branagh was so well done. His Benedick is so funny, and Emma Thompson is just how I picture Beatrice.

Edited by mlbuchina

BENEDICK: Here comes Beatrice. By this day! she's a fair lady: I do spy some marks of love in her.

Enter BEATRICE

BEATRICE: Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner.

BENEDICK: Fair Beatrice, I thank you for your pains.

BEATRICE: I took no more pains for those thanks than you take pains to thank me: if it had been painful, I would not have come.

BENEDICK: You take pleasure then in the message?

BEATRICE: Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife's point and choke a daw withal. You have no stomach, signior: fare you well.

Exit

BENEDICK: Ha! 'Against my will I am sent to bid you come in to dinner;' there's a double meaning in that...

I so adore those two! I thought the movie adaptation by Kenneth Branagh was so well done. His Benedick is so funny, and Emma Thompson is just how I picture Beatrice.

I love that scene and that film version. :)

I think I would really be a Beatrice/Elizabeth Bennet hybrid. But Rhett Butler would still be my man. I'd treat him way better than Scarlett. He's just the right blend of dangerous badboy and kind, generous soul. He is well-read, well-traveled, well-educated, and intelligent. Doesn't hurt that he is rich, too. ;) I've had a crush on him since I first read Gone with the Wind at age 11. :tongue_smilie:

I love that scene and that film version. :)

I think I would really be a Beatrice/Elizabeth Bennet hybrid. But Rhett Butler would still be my man. I'd treat him way better than Scarlett. He's just the right blend of dangerous badboy and kind, generous soul. He is well-read, well-traveled, well-educated, and intelligent. Doesn't hurt that he is rich, too. ;) I've had a crush on him since I first read Gone with the Wind at age 11. :tongue_smilie:

You read that when you were 11?! It's so long! :svengo:

I can't say anything, I haven't ever read it. It is on my need-to-do-before-I-die list. I have seen the movie a couple of times, but I'm sure the book is much better. :tongue_smilie:

:svengo: Sometimes you Americans are so American!

1. Mr Knightley

2. The 10th Doctor

3. One of Terry Pratchett's witches, though I suspect they aren't Mr Knightley's type.

Rosie

Hmmmm....

I'd marry Dr. Watson.

I'd date for the sheer adventure of it, Sherlock Holmes.

I would definitely be Beatrice and especially if Kenneth Branaugh was Bennedick.

That said, I am really flexible on who I could become if my significant love interest turned out to be roll played by Peter Firth!!!!

Faith

I'm really curious about how you define the difference between a good guy to marry vs. a good guy to date! I only dated guys I'd consider marrying. Help me understand this distinction...

Fun thread!

Reliable and kind vs. thrilling and fun. Marathoner vs. dash over hurdles. Running back vs. kicker.

You read that when you were 11?! It's so long! :svengo:

I can't say anything, I haven't ever read it. It is on my need-to-do-before-I-die list. I have seen the movie a couple of times, but I'm sure the book is much better. :tongue_smilie:

The book is SO much better! I picked up the book when I was bored one day and was hooked. I read lots of random stuff my parents had on the bookshelves. :)

1. Atticus Finch

2. Rhett (he'd be fun!)

3. Harriett Vane (see, then I'd get Lord Peter, too ;-) although if I may swap genders....I'd be Capt. Jack Aubrey and sail and fight sea battles and have a lot of guy fun! I love those books and was probably an old sea tar in a former life!

1. Peter Wimsey

2. Captain Wentworth

3. Harriet Vane

Laura

A woman after my own heart! I would only want to be Harriet because she marries Peter, though, not her on her own merits. I love her as a foil, but I'd never want to be her.:D

I have the same feeling about him. I never feel like the explanation for his haughty behavior made any sense. I just thought he weirdly went from creepy and rude, to Mr Personality, gracious host, with all that offering of fishing to the uncle from Cheapside. Just because the mother was tacky? Yuck.

Ooh! Faramir would be a good second choice for number 1 for me--didn't think if him. But I don't think he'd be all that fun to just date.:lol:

Oh, but he would sit around and wax so eloquently about my beauty and grace in battle. :D While I swoon with the idea of undying devotion, I think in the long run I'd be happier with bad boy who spent 10 years trying to get home. I married the bad boy, so it's not far from my reality. :lol::lol:

1. I wonder if anyone else here has even heard of this character. Cazaril from The Curse of Chalion. I seem to have a "thing" for men who have suffered some tragedy or been hurt by a cruel twist of fate. Caz comes through it with his integrity in tact, and he's the perfect combination of strength, a sort of quiet but unshakable devotion, and amazing selflessness.

2. Not as sure of this one, but Richard Sharpe keeps coming to mind. That's probably heavily influenced by Sean Bean's portrayal of him in the tv series. ;) But really, I'd be quite okay with skipping the dating and going straight to marrying Cazaril. :D

3. Jane Eyre

:svengo: Sometimes you Americans are so American!

1. Mr Knightley

2. The 10th Doctor

3. One of Terry Pratchett's witches, though I suspect they aren't Mr Knightley's type.

Rosie

Oh I forgot about Mr. Knightley. :) LOL Dr. Who. That would be cool to date him though and go time travel and then go home and relax with a good book after the date was over. :p