Menu

Do you love your local library?

We just relocated to the Shoreline area of Connecticut and we also just started homeschooling. :D I immediately realized that the library is going to be our best friend in this venture.

Needless to say, It's been 3 weeks since we started and we've been the library a half dozen times already. My town library is under renovation and they are in a very small, temporary building, but the brand new one will open up this summer. In the meantime, I've been going to the library one town over and I LOVE their children's section. The librarian in there is so kind and nice and today we had a wonderful conversation about homeschooling. She was so supportive and offered to run programs or classes about how to use the library if we needed it. I've had a ton of butterflies with getting started here and she made me feel so confident and proud today.

So I can say that I LOVE my local library. I also love that I can go online and search the card catalog of almost 20 libraries and request the books I need to be delivered to my local library. I loaded up my list and now all I have to do is go pick them up!

Share your library love!

Not so much in the children's non-fiction; sometimes I have to stretch to find things to fill out our weeks for science. It's not the fabulous library I visited when my sister lived in Iowa City, but it's all right. There are a ton of libraries in Wake County and a fairly new one not too far from the closest one that I would like to visit. I think if I made more use of the events and such offered at other branches of the county libraries, I would have more appreciation for it as a system.

Funny - we moved from Central CT 2.5 years ago and are contemplating a move soon -

I LOVE our county library system here! The internet catalog has a "Shopping Cart" - so I can pile up my books and request them all at once. It has been a HUGE $$$ saver for me (we use mostly TOG).

Can I put "good library system" on my housing wish list?

Nope. Difficult to use online system. Not enough online computer catalogs available in the library. (I know, sounds like the Woody Allen joke, "Terrible food, and in such small portions.") Unhelpful librarians (friendly, but unhelpful). Terrible summer program (almost non-existent). Illogical checkout lengths. Children's selection could use some diversity in subjects covered.

I miss our old library. We used to go once a week, and the kids looked forward to library day. The first thing we did when we moved to our new town was get library cards, and after a horrendous time trying to get online stuff activated and accurate and find out when items were really due back (after racking up fines within the first week), we've only tried to go back two other times and have just given up now.

After my current writing project is over, I am going to go to some library board meetings and see what's going on and try to 'become part of the solution'. Libraries should be wonderful places, and it is a shame that a university town has such a terrible library.

After my current writing project is over, I am going to go to some library board meetings and see what's going on and try to 'become part of the solution'. Libraries should be wonderful places, and it is a shame that a university town has such a terrible library.

A long time ago, I was on an email list of librarians and homeschoolers who were working on ideas for improving relationships between them. I think that this was something I found through NHEN.

Our library branch has a really cool program. The science librarian and the children's librarian write to every publisher of children's books, asking for donations of their new children's science titles. Then they rate and review each of the titles they get. They are put on display for about two months all through the non fiction section (and are available for checkout) and then they get filed into the stacks. I know they have done this for a couple years. This year I think that they received around 300 titles.

I think that the payoff for the publishers is that the titles that are well reviewd are then purchased in multiple for use throughout the state.

we are on the MD/PA border and our "local" library is in MD (closer than the nearest PA library) so we have to PAY for a library card! We only got one for one of my dc b/c it's only $5 for a child's card as opposed to $20 for an adults! AND, we have to pay a $20 renewal fee every year! Crazy! BUT, I despise our closest PA library b/c of the very unfriendly librarians there. THe children's section is in it's own enclosed section and is soundproof, but the librarian still comes in and "shusshes" the kids if they speak above a whisper! Anyway, yep, despite the fees...love our library system!

My children all grew up going to Wednesday morning storytime at the library. And because of their ages, I went for years. As we graduated to homeschooling, I found my librarians invaluable resources for helping me design my curriculum and locate books for my unit studies. They know me, and my kids, so well. It's like an extended family! They ooh and aah over the kids every time we go, especially my almost 16 yr. old, who they've known since she was so little.

And when our old library was about to be torn down to make way for our new, state-of-the-art 'information center', they even let me have something that was so precious to me - a little red wooden stool, that was placed in front of the water fountain in the children's dept. *I* stood on that very same stool to reach the water fountain when I was a little girl, and each of my three girls did the same. Now it has a place of honor next to our library basket. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I love my library (I didn't waste any time warming up to the new building, either - after all, my librarians were there), I love my librarians, and I love everything about it. It's my second home.

The fact that the librarians will actually ask me if I have any preferences when it's book ordering time, that we can now do ILL on-line, and that we have a used bookstore and a coffee shop are just icing on the cake.

I love our library system. I am amazed at the kinds of things I can find here - books of course - both secular and Christian (which surprised me, frankly); kits with books, puzzles, and toys on related topics for kids and adults; CDs; DVDs/videos; and at the main library - puppets! I know many libraries have these things now but I have been really pleased. Our local librarians know me very well. I'm the one who comes in with a rolling suitcase. Now my dd6 has her own rolling suitcase, too! They have actually called me when "my hold shelf" has gotten too full. And I've been included on the new librarian's orientation tour - "This is Jean, she's the one with the hold shelf I showed you, and yes, she really does fill up the rolling suitcase!" One of the librarians was very openly skeptical about homeschooling but she has mellowed over time. I know she was really tickled when my dd (4 at the time) came into the library and yelled (yes, she's my flamboyant child) "To be, or not to be, that's the question!"

Yes, we love our library. It was closed down due to vandelism for almost 3 months. It about drove us nuts to have to drive downtown to the main branch. I love our librarian and how friendly our smaller, local library is. We go every week at least once. Our library system is on-line which makes keeping track of renewals, due dates and placing holds really easy.

I love our library. Our local branch is very small...the librarians know almost everyone by name--and they have two of the most wonderful employees there (my teens). :-) The main branch is less than 10 minutes away from our house and was just newly renovated. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. (We won't talk about delays and cost overruns...)

Our system is very homeschool friendly and has many, many curriculum items available. This spring "Tell Me More" language programs will be available.

I love our library!

I have two different systems (county and city) within 2 miles of my house. They have friendly, helpful librarians, an awesome computer reservation system, audiobook downloads, lots of books, great inter-library loan, fun programs for the kids.

Love it, love it!!

I have two different systems (county and city) within 2 miles of my house. They have friendly, helpful librarians, an awesome computer reservation system, audiobook downloads, lots of books, great inter-library loan, fun programs for the kids.

Love it, love it!!

We love ours too. They have many the same resources you mentioned... I also am able to access another library system in another county, not to far from here.... both are excellent....

Lisa

We're a military family, and when we lived in MD I taught 1st grade, and the local library system was wonderful! As a new teacher I didn't have a huge collection of books for my classroom, but each week I took a dishpan to the library and filled it up with books to use in the classroom that week! The kids loved walking in and seeing all new books lined up in the chalktray! (And I got a kick out of hearing/watching them!)

Then we moved to SoCal, where the library was lousy! The children's section was half empty and most of the books were nearly as old as I was, (and that ain't young! :rolleyes:). The city was building a huge new library when we moved away and making a big deal about it. I thought it would have been a better use of money to just fill the existing library's shelves with books. Who needs a gorgeous, empty library?

Now we are in Hawaii and I am in love with the library system. Great online access, free e-books (we are currently learning Japanese!), very helpful staff, lots of branches, and we can order books from any branch in the state. Granted, it's not a huge state, but it tickles me to get a book stamped from one of the other islands. (I'm easily amused!). My kids look forward to getting work done on our car because the library is across the street, so we go hang out there for a couple hours. We've done this so often, the mechanic knows to buzz my phone 'cause it's on silent mode, and I'll go into the lobby to call him back!!!

We have 2 library systems that are both great here. They both have almost all the books we need on a regular basis for literature and science. The only gap I have found in in a lack of Christian resources. It isn't surprising but you still wish they were there. They have some homeschooling books too and each have a separate "homeschool reference" section, with books of particular interest to homeschooling parents. They have full assortments of videos like Schlesinger's, Bill Nye, and Eyewitness/Eye-wonder.

One has 6 week checkouts for educators and an incredible selection, including music (both sheet and cd). They offer online renewals and reminders but do have a small late fee.

The other has NO late fees, will ship to your house for free and has incredible childrens librarians who actually read children's books. They give the kids wonderful recommendations. 2 week checkout but also has online resources.

Our local branch is small but they are very nice! The online catalog allows me to request books from any branch in our county and then pick them up at my branch! Love, love, love this!!! :) It makes my life so much easier. Our library is moving into a new building and it will be at a local community college in town so I'm excited to see that come together and it will be even closer to my house!

Don't really feel the love, no. But I like it a whole lot.

The librarians don't really know much about books. When I'm looking for a particular something, or a particular kind of something, they know how to search the card catalog (just like I do!), but that's about it.

They do have activities and stuff, but I almost never go to them.

But what I like about it:

* I can manage stuff online from home--renewals, reserves, checking due dates, etc.--and the system is very clear.

* You can have your requests sent to any branch in our county, and now, they'll even pull the books off the shelf for you from your own branch (if you request them from home).

* They recently changed their policies so that we can have 50!! books out on each card (used to be 25), we can request DVDs (didn't used to be able to), we can renew DVDs, and the maximum number of renewals for books is now 10, which means I can keep books for an entire semester if no one else has requested them. Yippee!

* The selection is reasonably good. I can usually find at least a quarter of SWB's recommendations in the SOTW Activity Guides, and there are usually a bunch that she didn't recommend on each topic.

* They have a traveling foreign language section--they borrow foreign lang. materials from other libraries on a rotating basis.

* Lots and lots and lots of books on CD. Not necessarily very good ones, but at least mildly entertaining ones.

We love everthing about our local library. The staff is friendly and helpful. I can order books, movies etc online and they call me when they are available for pick-up. I can renew materials on-line. They have wonderful and interesting special program which all members of our family enjoy. It is a small library in a small town(where they filmed the movie Runaway Bride)

The librarians are great - very helpful and friendly. They know we homeschool and we are some of their best customers so they take very good care of us. However, the book selection is awful. I have gone in with a whole page of books that I want and they'll only have a handful of them at best. They are great about using interlibrary loans or sometimes even ordering the books for the library, but nothing beats getting the books when you need them, not weeks or even months later.

I was absolutely in love with the library system in Boston. Amazing catalog, our local branch had a helpful staff, the building itself was beautiful, tons of educational DVDs and movies.

Now I'm in NYC, and you would think the library system would be equally great. Well, the catalog is great (just different), but I hate our local branch. The building is cold and unfeeling, an apt description of the staff. They usually seem put out if I have a question or need help, like I'm bothering them from doing their REALLY important work!

Rant over. This whole thread just made me wistful....we used to live at the library during the week!

It is not a wonderful system. It was a dreadful system, but it has improved a little bit. About a year or so ago the library board voted to outsource management to a private corporation, I think it might be the same company that manages the library gardenschooler uses, and things are getting somewhat better. The bad news is that when they went with the private mgt. company, several of the librarians who actually knew books and actually knew how to treat patrons resigned.:(

We finally got a branch and it is very close to me. It is tiny, but very nicely laid out. They ordered all new books for it and there is plenty of shelf space for more. I can order books from the main library and pick them up at the branch. They keep a wishlist box for new books on the counter. And the most important thing to me, they hired new staff for this library and they are all nice. I don't know how knowledgeable they are, but right now I am just pleased to have nice, friendly staff to deal with!

You can only put 6 books on hold at a time! :eek: That is just crazy. But at least things are improving, slowly.

They have homeschool programs, an awesome on-line system, reminder emails, great preschool programs. And the best part is that the librarians are sooo nice and gracious. I feel welcomed and appreciated there. They are so supportive of our homeschooling. Gee, all this gushing makes me want to take them a special gift. :o

I lived in the capitol of this state for five years, and they had EIGHT huge, beautiful libraries, and almost every book I could ever want...I got sooo spoiled!

When we moved, it took a while to get used to the smaller libraries, but the staff is friendly, the library is only 2 miles from my house, they have e-mail, phone, and text notification for holds and due items, and internet reserving, which is great.

Their interlibrary loan system is slow, and not available over the internet. If I want a book from the larger library system I used to love, I have to call my library and deal with someone who acts like she doesn't even know what interlibrary loan is. Then, it takes a month to come in, I get the book for three weeks, and you can't renew interlibrary loan books. :mad: If they could change that to an easier system, I would love my library a lot more.

Some days I would say, "no, not really." But I just spent yesterday afternoon at the library in a free seminar with my students from my co-op "Learn to Write a Reseach Paper" class - we were there learning how to access the library's online databases. They subscribe to SCADS of them and they are all free to us with a library card. It's one of the reasons our local library is named one of the top libraries in the country. Trust me, it's NOT because of their hard-bound collection. LOL.

Also, when my kids were little we did make good use of their childrens' group programming which was pretty decent.

Awww! This is such a sweet story. I hope your great great grandchildren still use that little red stool - and know the story behind it too.

My children all grew up going to Wednesday morning storytime at the library. And because of their ages, I went for years. As we graduated to homeschooling, I found my librarians invaluable resources for helping me design my curriculum and locate books for my unit studies. They know me, and my kids, so well. It's like an extended family! They ooh and aah over the kids every time we go, especially my almost 16 yr. old, who they've known since she was so little.

And when our old library was about to be torn down to make way for our new, state-of-the-art 'information center', they even let me have something that was so precious to me - a little red wooden stool, that was placed in front of the water fountain in the children's dept. *I* stood on that very same stool to reach the water fountain when I was a little girl, and each of my three girls did the same. Now it has a place of honor next to our library basket. It is one of my most prized possessions.

I love my library (I didn't waste any time warming up to the new building, either - after all, my librarians were there), I love my librarians, and I love everything about it. It's my second home.

The fact that the librarians will actually ask me if I have any preferences when it's book ordering time, that we can now do ILL on-line, and that we have a used bookstore and a coffee shop are just icing on the cake.

It's less than 10 min. from my house, is big and attractive, and has a very good selection. We can request books easily online, and we are notified by email when a hold is ready to be picked up.

I'm fortunate enough to have free access to TWO library systems, so if my favorite library doesn't have a book I want, there's a chance the other system does. It's less than 20 min. away, so still not too bad. And their online system for requesting things is just as good.

The librarians are friendly and helpful.

Wendi

We live in a small town in central AL. Our library is directly across the street from our house and we LOVE it. Recently, a new staff came on board. They are younger and much more kid friendly. The two librarians are very pro-homeschooling and have worked so hard to get me what I need, even going so far as to apologize if they don't have a specific book I ask for! In the fall, they came to me for a list of juvenile non fiction that I would like for them to add to the collection and in November, the books started arriving. So yep, I LOVE our Library!

Shari:D

I pay to use the local university library. I know very few people who rely on our library system. It doesn't help that I have lived in other areas where the library was really impressive.

I first came to dislike our library when we were trying to do Five in a Row. I couldn't get half the books. We did two of the books through the library and I wound up buying OOP books myself. Bleh.

At first no, because we came from an area that had over 7 libraries you could request books from, but then I found this awesome feature our new library had. If our library doesn't have a book we can then go to another search engine that is connected to ALL the libraries (including university libraries!) in our state and the one above. There are very few books I am not able to request. I have been in heaven ever since.

Until this past fall. Last summer, the children's librarian set up meetings for all the homeschoolers who regularly come in. We had 3 meetings through the summer and were supposed to continue into the fall. But the September newsletter didn't mention a thing about it. I finally found out that some local PS teachers had complained about the library supporting the homeschoolers that way and made quite a fuss. So the head of the library told the children's librarian to stop holding the meetings. We still go to it for books, as we really don't have any other option. But it still is frustrating that she apparently cares more about a few teachers than the community at large.

Paula

Not really.

The ILL is great but I am really sick of having to babysit my account to make sure books get checked in properly. I have had to go in myself and pull books off the shelf and show them that the books were already returned.

This happens almost EVERY time I return books! :mad:

Whew, that feels better:D

Last weekend, I reserved all the books I wanted to use from the first 3 weeks of TOG, plus TWEM, Deconstructing Penguins, SOTW 2, a couple of poetry books, a cookbook, a couple of science books and some chapter books. Today, I stopped by on my way to work, dropped off the books from last week, picked up all 18 of my reserves and chatted with the nice librarian. I was in and out in less than 10 minutes with everything I needed. What is not to love?

No, not at all. It's terrible and I don't believe they've bought many books since the 20 years ago when I went there when I was in school. The books are old, the system is ancient to say the least, and the "librarians" are just doing a job until they can find another job (my guess). They all act like they don't want to be there, don't know/don't care how to help you and would love for you to go away.

Our old library in NC is about the only thing I miss there. And I miss it terribly. It was absolutely perfect!

Reading all of the posts about libraries, I thought I would post a few things from the other side of the desk as my husband and I are both librarians. :D

1. If your library is part of a library system through your county, a larger multi-county system, or your entire state that includes an online catalog with ordering--be extremely thankful. Your library pays dearly for the opportunity.

2. If you library is not tied into the larger library system through the online catalog, know that it is still possible to get interlibrary loan books but as you have indicated will probably take a little longer. See if your library card is honored as a reciprocal card at other libraries in your system.

3. If you have to pay for access to your library because you live out of the district, be thankful. I think someone mentioned paying $20 for an adult card for a year. Where I live an out of district card is $75 per year, and the college where I am a librarian charges $25 per year for an outside borrower card. We tell people that you can pay $25 to check out books from our library for a year or you can pay $25 to buy one book at the local book store. ;)

4. If you have web access at home to databases through your local library, be extremely thankful. If you don't, ask at your library if they have access to various databases. Many, many libraries receive access through their state, but sometimes smaller libraries (i.e. the public library in my town) does a poor job of advertising it or does not have the technology staff to enable web access. If you ask, they might give you the password to connect from home.

5. Know that not every one who works in a library is a degreed librarian with an MLS. In our public library in a town of 15,000, only the director has an MLS. In the library my husband words at, also a town of 15,000, he is one of two individuals who have an MLS--neither work in the children's department. For some without degrees, it is just a job. For some without degrees, they love books and people and know their job inside out. Others have the degree but wish they were employed in a different type of library. Others have the degree, but spend their time dealing with boards or city officers who don't understand libraries and think that everything is on the internet so why do people need a library. Others have the degree and want to do more for you, but have their hands tied by directors or boards.

6. Let your librarians know that you are interested in certain programs being offered and offer to help. My husband received a state grant for his library to build services for "underserved populations"--homeschoolers and senior citizens. Another library near us hosted a home school science fair.

7. When you have books that weren't checked in properly, don't pull them off the shelves yourself. Instead ask the library staff to go double-check for them. If the library finds them, we eat crow; if you find them, we say "yeah right.