Menu

Do you read non-fiction?

I've found over the years that I'm happier with my reading if I spilt it between fiction and non-fiction. I recently binged on rereading the whole Game of Thrones series so now I'm rebounding with some non-fiction. I'm reading The Knowing-Doing Gap and Why Does E=mc2? and Why It Matters along with a couple of books for work. Anybody else reading something non-fiction for fun?

YES! Like you, I alternate.

I'm currently reading The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl. My grandparents farmed through the Dust Bowl in north-central Kansas and I've always been intrigued by it. I cannot image the hardships they managed to survive.

I recently read The Hemingses of Monticello: An American Family which was excellent.

Waiting to hear some other suggestions!

astrid

Narrative non-fiction is among my favorites.

I picked up 'Turn Right At Machu Picchu' by Mark Adams today. I'm enjoying it. It's the author's attempt to walk the path of Hiram Bingham, 'discoverer' of Machu Picchu.

It makes me realize how little South American history I know...and how much I enjoy the explorer genre.

I'm happily reading Science Matters. I really, REALLY enjoyed the Lyttelton-Hart Davis letters last year (you can start with the edited version). I also liked The War Against Grammar, which is short.

If you've never given Guns Germs and Steel a whirl, that is worthwhile, and I also enjoyed The Conquest of New Spain by Bernal Diaz (he was on the road with Cortez, and dictated the book in his 80s to "set the record straight").

I love nonfiction! It's most of what I read for fun these days. I really have to work hard to convince myself to read fiction. I was an English major ten billion years ago, and I think I got fiction-ed out and still haven't recovered. :tongue_smilie:

Earlier this year I read Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick and loved it. I couldn't stop talking about it. It's about North Korea.

I read non-fiction the majority of the time.

I also loved Nothing to Envy and am awaiting Escape From Camp14.

The Three-Legged Woman and Other Excursions in Teachingis next on my list, though right now I am reading Divergent with my daughter.

Keep the recommendations coming! I love to have a long list of books to anticipate!!

I love fiction, but still read non-fiction. A couple of non-fiction books I've read this year are Swimming to Antarctica and The Geography of Bliss. Both were pretty interesting.

Some of my favorite non-fiction books:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Fatu-Hiva by Thor Heyerdahl

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs

Can anyone recommend a version of The Travels of Marco Polo (by Marco Polo) that is good? I'd really like to find one that has some great notes & a map to go along w/ it.

Absolutely prefer non-fiction but am enjoying reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy right now.

Other than that, on my nightstand are:

5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Son by Vicki Courtney

5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter by Courtney

Money, Possesions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn

Next in line is Team of Rivals.

I spend about an equal amount of time reading fiction and non-fiction. I recently finished The Band Played On about Titanic's band. This was a fiction week, I read 3 Christopher Moore books. Next week I am starting a new book on Lyndon Johnson by Robert Caro.

I greatly prefer non-fiction and have to force myself to read fiction. ;) Reading a lot of books to my dc has forced me to expand!

Recently I read Quiet (loved it) and just finished a biography of George Washington by Paul Johnson. Also just finished a fascinating book on regional eating/cooking traditions, based on a WPA project that had lain dormant for something like 70 years. On tap next in non-fiction is Introverts in the Church. Meanwhile, I'm also working my way through Rosemary Sutcliff's books, because I love reading about ancient Britain. For some reason, I enjoy historical fiction more than just "general" fiction -- maybe because the historical setting anchors it to something. I just have a hard time suspending disbelief when I read.

YES! Like you, I alternate.

I'm currently reading The Worst Hard Time: The Untold Story of Those Who Survived The Great American Dust Bowl. My grandparents farmed through the Dust Bowl in north-central Kansas and I've always been intrigued by it. I cannot image the hardships they managed to survive.

I have that book, it is interesting.

I also split my reading between fiction and non-fiction. I am currently reading a biography on Arthur Conan Doyle

I'm reading more and more non-fiction as the years go on, mostly because fiction has started to frustrate me. More and more I find myself thinking, "Why did the author have to say that/do that, they've just ruined the book." It is very rare any more that I find a fiction book that leaves me feeling satisfied after I read it.

I find the older I get, the more I enjoy reading nonfiction for "fun". I read books about education, finance, travel, parenting, as well as how-to books, autobiographies/memoirs, cooking; all kinds of topics. I"m off to check out your two suggestions now :)

:iagree::iagree:

I always forget to add the non-ficton to my 52 in 52 book count. Lol.

Maybe that is because I tend to read non-fiction differently. Like right now I am reading a stack of container/square foot gardening books.....but I am not reading them cover to cover....I am skipping around reading all about tomatoes....then all about flowers....then all about herbs....

I may not finish the books in entirety, But I am gathering lots of useful information.

Biographies, auto-biographies, memoirs etc.....those I read cover to cover.

Yes, I adore non-fiction and read a great deal of it. Not so much at the moment, I need escape from some of the stress around here but I am normally a fan. I really enjoy a good biography, helps to illuminate time periods for me.

I love books such as The Great Molasses Flood and others like it. I adore David McCullough.

When I was young I read mostly fiction fluff. Sometime after graduating college I switched over completely to non-fiction. It has only been in the last 2 years that I started reading classics and children's classics. That happened b/c I want to do classical ed with dd and there are lots of classics that I had never read. I am enjoying some of them, but some of them are blah!

I also prefer non-fiction. My most recent books have been The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates, Tiger Trap: America's Secret Spy War With China, and Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.

Currently, I'm reading Pearl Buck's The Good Earth. I'm reading it for the third time, which is extremely unusual for me. Dd is reading it for school. I remembered how much I liked it in the past and thought it would be fun to be able to talk about it with her. I don't retain much of what I read, so it's like reading a new book. ;)

I"m appreciating this thread. It will give me new titles to look for.

I used to think that non-fiction was boring but the older I get, the more I am reading it. Now, I think I read more non-fiction than fiction.

Right now I am reading 'Unlocking Harry Potter' and 'Finding God in Harry Potter' (can you tell that my dd and I are having a summer discussion on HP? :D) Also on my pile are 'The Trivium' by Sister Marian Joseph and 'Ideas Have Consequences' by Richard Weaver. I did try to read 'Surprised by Oxford' and the 'Memory Palace' byt I wasn't in the right head space for them. I will try them again later.

The older I get, the more I read non-fiction. Right now I am enjoying Sister Queens, about Katherine of Aragon & Juana of Castille. For fiction, I tend towards mysteries, preferably English, preferably by women.

When you are finished with that, you may want to look at Four Queens, about four daughters of the count of Provence who ended up the queens of France, England, Germany, and Sicily.

I like a mix of fiction and nonfiction.

So far this year, out of 27 books, 8 have been non-fiction:

* Outwitting History--about efforts to save Yiddish books

* Monster of Florence--out a serial killer in Florence and the absolutely botched investigation and prosecution of the case

* On Writing--Stephen King's part memoir, part writing guide

* In the Garden of Beasts--about the US ambassador to Berlin in the 1930s

* Galileo's Daughter--biography of Galileo as told (mostly) through letters his daughter wrote to him from her convent

* Book of Mormon Girl--memoir of growing up Mormon by a woman I went to college with

* Brunelleschi's Dome--the story of the amazing construction and design of the Duomo in Florence

* The First Paul--textual analysis of Paul's letters by Borg and Crossan

All I have read in the last 15 years has been non fiction, except for the re-read of classics I teach.

I have read for parenting, homeschooling, addiction, counseling, psychology, poker (ok, some fiction there ;)), Christian and spiritual stuff.

I am liberating myself and reading *fiction*. Of course, I had to do that in a planned way by googling "contemporary classics"...........

:lol::chillpill:

Slightly OT, but for the few of you who have mentioned wanting to include more fiction among your non-fiction reading, there's some interesting scientific evidence related to reading fiction.... (It's the kind of article that appeals to non-fiction readers, I think, because the article is non-fiction. ;):lol:)

-------------

Kind of a cool op-ed piece from the NY Times:

Your Brain on Fiction

By ANNIE MURPHY PAUL

Published: March 17, 2012

"AMID the squawks and pings of our digital devices, the old-fashioned virtues of reading novels can seem faded, even futile. But new support for the value of fiction is arriving from an unexpected quarter: neuroscience.

Brain scans are revealing what happens in our heads when we read a detailed description, an evocative metaphor or an emotional exchange between characters. Stories, this research is showing, stimulate the brain and even change how we act in life.

Researchers have long known that the “classical†language regions, like Broca’s area and Wernicke’s area, are involved in how the brain interprets written words. What scientists have come to realize in the last few years is that narratives activate many other parts of our brains as well, suggesting why the experience of reading can feel so alive. Words like “lavender,†“cinnamon†and “soap,†for example, elicit a response not only from the language-processing areas of our brains, but also those devoted to dealing with smells."

Read the rest of the article here.

Ever since Dick Francis passed away I haven't read anything fiction and honestly, don't miss it. I prefer non-fiction.

Right now I've just started Peter Hessler's trilogy starting with River Town (a series about his years in China).

http://www.amazon.com/River-Town-Two-Years-Yangtze/dp/0060953748

It's very well written and is definitely "my" genre.

Others I've read and recommend are:

Open Lands - Travels Through Russia's Once Forbidden Place by Mark Taplin

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Lands-Travels-Through-Forbidden/dp/1883642876/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337092457&sr=1-1

And both of Peter Allison's books/tales about being a safari guide in Botswana (these are humorous too):

Whatever You Do, Don't Run

http://www.amazon.com/Whatever-You-Do-Dont-Run/dp/0762745657/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337092529&sr=1-3

Don't Look Behind You

http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Look-Behind-You-Encounters/dp/1599214695/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337092637&sr=1-4

AND, by looking these up I see he has a new one out. I now know what I'm getting my mom for her birthday this summer (then she gives them to me for my birthday or Christmas pending when she's finished with them). ;)

http://www.amazon.com/How-Walk-Puma-Learned-Stumbling/dp/0762777567/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1337092637&sr=1-1

Earlier this year I read Nothing to Envy by Barbara Demick and loved it. I couldn't stop talking about it. It's about North Korea.

This was an excellent book, and I think I first heard of it here in another thread. At the same time, my sister recommended (fictional) The Orphan Master's Son, so I read that immediately after. Knowing the background in the nf book went a long way toward understanding less obvious things in the fiction book. It was a great combination.

Slightly OT, but for the few of you who have mentioned wanting to include more fiction among your non-fiction reading, there's some interesting scientific evidence related to reading fiction.... (It's the kind of article that appeals to non-fiction readers, I think, because the article is non-fiction. ;):lol:)

-------------

Kind of a cool op-ed piece from the NY Times:

Your Brain on Fiction

By ANNIE MURPHY PAUL

Published: March 17, 2012

"AMID the squawks and pings of our digital devices, the old-fashioned virtues of reading novels can seem faded, even futile. But new support for the value of fiction is arriving from an unexpected quarter: neuroscience.

Brain scans are revealing what happens in our heads when we read a detailed description, an evocative metaphor or an emotional exchange between characters. Stories, this research is showing, stimulate the brain and even change how we act in life.

Researchers have long known that the “classical†language regions, like Broca’s area and Wernicke’s area, are involved in how the brain interprets written words. What scientists have come to realize in the last few years is that narratives activate many other parts of our brains as well, suggesting why the experience of reading can feel so alive. Words like “lavender,†“cinnamon†and “soap,†for example, elicit a response not only from the language-processing areas of our brains, but also those devoted to dealing with smells."

Read the rest of the article here.

That is interesting. I love fiction with beautiful language and descriptions.

For people that are just beginning in neuroscience, Brain Rules is a terrific starting point. It is very accessible and will give you confidence to tread deeper in brainy books. ;)

I love fiction, but still read non-fiction. A couple of non-fiction books I've read this year are Swimming to Antarctica and The Geography of Bliss. Both were pretty interesting.

Some of my favorite non-fiction books:

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World by Jack Weatherford

Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Fatu-Hiva by Thor Heyerdahl

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

The Guinea Pig Diaries by A.J. Jacobs

Can anyone recommend a version of The Travels of Marco Polo (by Marco Polo) that is good? I'd really like to find one that has some great notes & a map to go along w/ it.

I haven't found one yet, but I see that the author of Over the Edge of the World also has a book on Marco Polo (but it is lacking maps). I'm putting that one on my list because I really enjoyed the Magellan book.

While I'm remembering adventurous books, this year I've enjoyed In the Heart of the Sea and Alone: The Classic Polar Adventure.

I read quite a lot of non-fiction, actually. I'm currently reading The Dancing Wu Li Masters. It's about quantum physics. Usually I tend towards books on physics, philosophy/religion/ and history.

I also switch between fiction and non-fiction. I usually have one of each going at the same time depending on what I'm in the mood for :)

I haven't found one yet, but I see that the author of Over the Edge of the World also has a book on Marco Polo (but it is lacking maps). I'm putting that one on my list because I really enjoyed the Magellan book.

Ah, actually I've read that Marco Polo book. That's part of what spurred me into to wanting to read Marco Polo's original account (& to have an included map)....

And, since you also mentioned adventure reads (which I love), National Geographic Adventure Magazine has a list of Extreme Classics: The 100 Greatest Adventure Books. :001_smile:

I read quite a lot of non-fiction, actually. I'm currently reading The Dancing Wu Li Masters. It's about quantum physics. Usually I tend towards books on physics, philosophy/religion/ and history.

I also switch between fiction and non-fiction. I usually have one of each going at the same time depending on what I'm in the mood for :)

That was the book that made me fall in love with physics. :001_wub:

That sounds good. I just requested it from my library. Thanks for mentioning it. :001_smile:

It's a bit slow to get started - he goes over some very basic Newtonian physics for anyone not familiar - but after page 75 or so, it gets good :)

I read both non-fiction and fiction. I started a new memoir last night called Piano Lessons by Anna Goldsworthy and I'm already really enjoying it. Great read for musical houses. It starts when the author was 9 and started lessons with a world class Russian pianist. She ends up as a concert pianist.

http://www.amazon.com/Piano-Lessons-Memoir-Anna-Goldsworthy/dp/0312646283/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1XJU3J0DO4F3E&colid=1WVVJ847KWUBQ