Menu

Sometimes I think that the only reason Facebook exists...

...is to make sure I know about every single thing that my friends or my children's friends are doing without us.

Does anyone else have this experience? I am a tough girl but my heart is starting to break for my teen that doesn't get invited to anything but has to watch it all unfold on FB.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like as a teen if FB had existed. I think I would have been so depressed. I knew that I was left out of things but didn't have to see it constantly posted on my wall, KWIM?

Thanks for letting me complain.

I feel like that as a grown-up, for myself! My kids are at the age where all our friends we met as babies are going to "real school." So I see all my old friends drift away from me and toward each other. I know it's normal, and we're making new homeschooler friends, but it still makes me feel a little rejected. So, yeah, if I feel that way in my 30's, I cannot imagine how your daughter feels. And how you feel for her. =(

And, holy cow, I don't know how kids can grow up with Facebook! There's no filter! I feel bad for those kids, they're going to look back and cringe to see how much of their idiocy is documented, for all to see, forever.

Wow, I hadn't thought of it that way before but I can see what you're saying. I ditched Facebook in its intended use quite some time ago. I have no "friends" -- I just use it to be part of some groups like my direct sales group, some local swap groups that are like virtual yard sales, and the online homeschool curriculum group (see link below; great place). I also use it for PMing people as an alternative to email with some people. I know little about what's going on with actual people around me via Facebook this way. Does that appeal to you at all? I know some people use FB for quite a lot, so it may not.

I totally know what you are talking about. Why post things like "Having a fabulous spa weekend with the greatest ladies in the world!"? The ladies you are having a spa weekend already know. The rest of us just know we aren't the greatest. :glare:

I think if I had been on Facebook as a teen I would have written some very stupid stuff on there. Thank goodness it wasn't around!

We have always been adamantly anti-Facebook for a very long time based on the fact it can be such a time sucker and privacy issues. I recently convinced dh to allow me to make a family page(haven't done it yet though) so our dd14 can stay in touch with her old private school friends, and we can feel more connected to our church socially, which communicates mostly through FB. I have found that, sadly, when your dc leaves a formal school situation, that out of sight is out of mind for a lot of those kids, and if you don't see them ALL the time or communicate via FB...you are OUT of the loop and they sorta forget about you and when you do see them again, it's really awkward. We have let her use email to her hearts content, but none of them email really, they only use FB. I was hoping that FB would help her stay connected, but maybe it would be a mistake and she would be watching everyone else's social lives instead of participating. Geez. Now I don't know what to do.

We're not on Facebook here. I'm a fairly private person, and I also see what a time suck it can be. I see people who can barely enjoy an activity, they're just concerned about posting pictures and updating their status so all the world can see the activity they're supposed to be enjoying. It's kind of nuts.

I have one child who is not at all old enough for Facebook. When he is in a few years, I'm not sure what we'll do. It seems as if it could cause more trouble than it's worth.

...is to make sure I know about every single thing that my friends or my children's friends are doing without us.

Does anyone else have this experience? I am a tough girl but my heart is starting to break for my teen that doesn't get invited to anything but has to watch it all unfold on FB.

Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like as a teen if FB had existed. I think I would have been so depressed. I knew that I was left out of things but didn't have to see it constantly posted on my wall, KWIM?

:iagree: Whenever my dd starts getting emotional over anything on FB, I make her take a break for a while. It is definitely a lot tougher being a teenager today with all of this technology. EVERYONE knows EVERYTHING about EVERYBODY in a matter of minutes. It's sad. =(

If it is that painful, don't have a FB account. Alternately, why not be the one who invites others to do things? Someone has to organize all those activities you're reading about on FB. Why not you or your kids? Not trying to downplay anyone's pain...just trying to suggest taking a proactive stance. "If you want a friend, be a friend."

That's why I have strict parameters for accepting friend requests.

:grouphug:

FB is something to help you feel connected to others in a positive way. I think there are lots of tools and self-decided "policies" you can implement to keep it working for you.

Streamline your friends list.

Block repeat feeling-hurters.

Decide on the criteria for whom you'll befriend in the future.

If all else fails, log off for a while, maybe permanently. Life is too short for FB to make you hurt.

There was a great post on Zen Habits recently called "How to Live Well". One of his points was:

"Be happy with what you have and where you are. Too often we want to be somewhere else, doing something else, with other people than whoever we’re with right now, getting things other than what we already have. But where we are is great! Who we’re with (including just ourselves) is already perfect. What we have is enough. What we’re doing already is amazing."

I'm trying to make this more of a focus for myself—to be happy in the moment where I am. It is hard when seeing what others are doing (that I'm not).

Erica in OR

If it is that painful, don't have a FB account. Alternately, why not be the one who invites others to do things? Someone has to organize all those activities you're reading about on FB. Why not you or your kids? Not trying to downplay anyone's pain...just trying to suggest taking a proactive stance. "If you want a friend, be a friend."

:iagree:

Or sometimes respond with something like, "That sounds like so much fun! Let me know when you plan to do it again, I'd love to tag along!"

I completely understand. I opened a FB account several years ago, using the reason that I wanted to stay in touch with family. I had a small handful of people 'friended'. To see the huge amounts of friends that other people had made me honestly feel a bit pathetic. Have I made so little difference in people's lives all these years...have I made so few connections with others? That sounds stupid, but it is the truth. I deactivated my account for 6 months or so, but felt like I needed to reach out and participate in conversations again so our family wouldn't be so isolated. I try to go down my news feed and 'like' or comment on most of the posts. "I'm here and I care!! YooHoo." <crickets> I stepped out and requested more friends, which is difficult for an introvert, and that seems to have made it worse because it magnifies how alone we are here. :tongue_smilie: I post great things that the girls have done and then it seems like all I do is brag to myself lol. I fight those feelings of envy when I read about the fun things others are doing. I keep trying to fit in and feel like a participator, but I'm not included in anything really, and neither are my girls. Not sure what to do but FB doesn't seem to be a realistic connector for us. Just a frustration. Sorry to whine!

Honestly I find that FB is doing a lot of damage to society in general. People are losing the ability to have intelligent conversations - to give and take. It seems everyone wants to update their status both virtually and in real life. Then on top of that, it is making bragging acceptable.

Do you know you can filter facebook? By individuals? If someone posts too much of what you don't want to see. put your cursor to the right of their post and click on the little down arrow. A menu will pop up, and you can choose to subscribe to all of that person's posts, most, or "only important". Or you can unsubscribe altogether.

You can also put people on a restricted list, so they only see your public posts and not posts you make private.

I think had FB been around when I was in school, I would have dropped out. I had a low tolerance for BS back then-even moreso now-but back then I don't think I would have been able to ignore it as well. It took everything I had to stay in just as it was.

I understand. :grouphug: My kiddos are too little right now to be hurt by it, but I know the feeling. I ask my friends not to mention me or tag me in photos of events or outings, unless it was something that was open to everyone. Sometimes you have to limit the number of people that are included, but I don't feel right about advertising to them that they didn't make the cut.

Do you know you can filter facebook? By individuals? If someone posts too much of what you don't want to see. put your cursor to the right of their post and click on the little down arrow. A menu will pop up, and you can choose to subscribe to all of that person's posts, most, or "only important". Or you can unsubscribe altogether.

You can also put people on a restricted list, so they only see your public posts and not posts you make private.

:iagree: If I don't like someone's posting style or tone, I do not hesitate to turn them off. Fb is very useful for me in some ways, but I've done plenty of manipulation to make it this way.

I haven't read what everyone else has posted, but I remember about a year back I read an article that there has been clinical depression and anxiety named just for the FB phenomenon. Essentially, there are things that we don't need to know about all of the time. We can't be invited to EVERYTHING. We are not being left out, there were just things going on around us that we weren't painfully aware of ALL the time in the past. I was tired of seeing everyone's dinner plate picture/coffee picture (where they take pictures of the food before AND after they eat it :ack2: then comment on how full they are). So now I cast my vote for rotary phones and carrier pigeons!

I haven't read what everyone else has posted, but I remember about a year back I read an article that there has been clinical depression and anxiety named just for the FB phenomenon. Essentially, there are things that we don't need to know about all of the time. We can't be invited to EVERYTHING. We are not being left out, there were just things going on around us that we weren't painfully aware of ALL the time in the past. I was tired of seeing everyone's dinner plate picture/coffee picture (where they take pictures of the food before AND after they eat it :ack2: then comment on how full they are). So now I cast my vote for rotary phones and carrier pigeons!

Oh, wow! I had no idea. How sad for the people who take it all so seriously.

We do not do Facebook.

However, why be upset with people's posts? Why should how you feel be their responsibility (unless they specifically mentioned your name to exclude you)? If they are happy, then be happy for them and move on. If your friends' posts are upsetting you, then don't read their stuff or don't have an account. I thought the purpose of FB was for people to post whatever they felt like posting. Not everyone can be included in every activity, but if it bothers you just drop the account.

(I'm a very practical person when it comes to other people. I have no time to worry about what others are doing.)

We do not do Facebook.

However, why be upset with people's posts? Why should how you feel be their responsibility (unless they specifically mentioned your name to exclude you)? If they are happy, then be happy for them and move on. If your friends' posts are upsetting you, then don't read their stuff or don't have an account. I thought the purpose of FB was for people to post whatever they felt like posting. Not everyone can be included in every activity, but if it bothers you just drop the account.

(I'm a very practical person when it comes to other people. I have no time to worry about what others are doing.)

To a certain extent, I agree with you. But for me, I noticed the same thing others are concerned about. The disappointment didn't happen from the first post, but rather it was a gradual shaping of my outlook. It wasn't always depressing, but there were times when I second guessed whether I was as good of friends with people as I had imagined. It made me second guess myself. I am a very outgoing, gregarious, and confident person. And I even felt the effects sometimes. It's not everyone else's fault for posting what they want to, but to me it was more of an "information overload." Too much to process. And I can't imagine being a teen and trying to process it all! Especially when your peers are equally as inexperienced and aren't known for the delicacies of tact quite yet.

This may be the article I read (or something like it) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42298789/ns/health-mental_health/t/docs-warn-about-teens-facebook-depression/#.T60f62g3vuc

Here's another http://www.cbc.ca/news/yourcommunity/2012/01/do-you-suffer-from-facebook-depression.html

Edited by kalliemorgan

I'm right there with you. Facebook has been a real source of stress and frustration and even bullying for lots of people. I'm SO glad we had nothing like this when I was a teen. Home was a sanctuary into which the mean kids or that boyfriend who dumped you or who you wanted to dump could not reach.

I am this.close to closing my FB account. It's getting so annoying.

I am tired of people bragging about how far they ran, that they are going to the gym, one person who must take a pic of herself absolutely everywhere she goes/travels, pictures of minors drinking/partying, seeing stranger's posts because a friend commented, "trending articles" or articles that friends have read(who cares??), games/socialcam videos (most are nasty), the boxed pictures with sayings on them. Ugh, I could go on and on! And now that election time is near, the political soapboxes are exploding.

I think I will deactivate my account today. It's a shame, because I do enjoy seeing pictures of friends and family and their kids. I need a break from the constant competition and whining.

My teenaged life would have really sucked if Facebook existed back then. I shudder to think of the pain FB would have caused me at times.

:iagree:

It really bothers me to see my beautiful, sweet nieces turn into people they are not, just to keep up. The pictures they take and post, and things they say are in very poor taste. It's as if they have to imitate friends and try to top them. (Perhaps this would occur if FB didn't exist, but it's sad to me nonetheless)

I am tired of people bragging about how far they ran, that they are going to the gym, one person who must take a pic of herself absolutely everywhere she goes/travels,

This doesn't sound very braggy, it sounds like they are using FB for what it is - a way of telling people what you are doing. What should they be posting about?

I'm right there with you. Facebook has been a real source of stress and frustration and even bullying for lots of people. I'm SO glad we had nothing like this when I was a teen. Home was a sanctuary into which the mean kids or that boyfriend who dumped you or who you wanted to dump could not reach.

I agree. I'm so glad we didn't have FB either. I can imagine my teenage drama queen self posting something about my mom or my teenage angst. :lol:

I constantly tell my one drama queen to not post like that. Don't tell the world your life is over because you had a fight with your best friend.

This doesn't sound very braggy, it sounds like they are using FB for what it is - a way of telling people what you are doing. What should they be posting about?

Well, the ones I'm referring to are definitely bragging. 99% of posts from one is all about running, marathons, which race next, how many miles today, running injuries (including "FML" related to said injuries), proud of her daughter for losing a toenail r/t running, frequent pictures of herself in tight clothing, etc. Multiple posts a day. I just want to shout "Yes, I get it, you enjoy running!" :lol:

The other friend (and I love her dearly), called herself "supermom" this morning because she is still running while pregnant. Deep down, I think she has some issues and is self validating because other posts (not related to running) are mostly how well behaved her children are, how much money she saved, how they do not take fancy vacations and can't imagine spending so much on vacations and luxury items, etc. I would never defriend her though, she is a close friend.

I am amazed at how effectively FB brings out behavior that I consider socially unacceptable. Most specifically bragging about social lives.

I love seeing vacation photos, cute kid pics, reading about interesting or funny things that have happened. I even like exercise-related posts from someone who is working toward a goal and posting as a way to be accountable. I enjoy anything of the "We saw/did something really cool" or "my offspring did something cute or funny or sweet" variety.

I do not enjoy the posts that are along the lines of "I'm so popular" or "my offspring is a high-achieving genius". They remind me too much of, "I got invited to Susie's party. Did you ?" or "I got a 100. What did you get ?"

I like to post interesting things that are in no way related to my life or to anything in particular. Today I posted a link to cute videos of baby sloths in a sloth orphanage. I enjoy it when others post links to interesting things to check out.

You don't have to read your feed. Lots of times I don't.

At any rate, only FB actual friends. (As for running, a couple of the nicest people I know always post their distance. I think it's great. It's very inspiring.)

Or, understand that some friends are casual friends. A librarian, for instance. You help her with book titles, and suggest what to buy, so maybe you're FB friends to share that sort of info, but you aren't close friends, so there is no reason you would be invited to her 60th spa birthday party.

Most of it is not personal against anyone. I love seeing what folks are doing, and I know I sound like a broken record about it. Your spa party is not my spa party, and the other people at the spa party? I don't know them, and they are probably the greatest women in your life.

I also have friends from my past, some who live in town...we don't hang out, but we like keeping up. If they post pix of their latest luncheon, it doesn't upset me, because we don't hang out. Our lives have gone in different directions. We keep in touch because of a shared *past*.

The teen thing is different. That is new territory and teens can be hurt. I'm FB friends with my kids who have FB, and while I have not seen anything like that on their posts (they have the highest securit settings possible, although I understand that is no comfort), they don't FB friend everyone. They also have their own circle of friends and understand that not all friends are friends with everyone else. I would say a thicker skin is needed for the young and sensitive. I read my kids walls and feeds. I don't have access to their passwords, but I do try to keep up. So far, so good. No drama.

Edited by LibraryLover

My (very brief) foray into Facebook convinced me that for way too many people it functions as essentially junior high on steroids, complete with passing notes about others (just very publicly), lists of who's in and who's out of the current clique, etc. I'm sure there are some reasonable uses for Facebook, but I have no desire to slog through all the other mess to get to them.

I have to admit I get a bit puzzled by the folks now who, if I mention emailing, look at me as if I suggested carving a message on rocks and attaching them to my pet pterodactyl as a way to communicate.:001_rolleyes:

This is a bit off topic, but I'd like to put in a plug for the documentary Catfish. It's available on DVD from Netflix. Can't tell you too much about it without spoiling it, but it is about FB relationships.

Oh yeah, if you watch it, don't miss the Q&A with the filmmakers bonus feature on the DVD.

This is a bit off topic, but I'd like to put in a plug for the documentary Catfish. It's available on DVD from Netflix. Can't tell you too much about it without spoiling it, but it is about FB relationships.

Oh yeah, if you watch it, don't miss the Q&A with the filmmakers bonus feature on the DVD.

Noted! Sounds interesting...

I read my kids walls and feeds. I don't have access to their passwords, but I do try to keep up. So far, so good. No drama.

You do realize that your kids can place you in your own separate "group" and hide everything from you that is visible to other FB friends of their choice, right?

I hope that isn't happening to you, and probably is not. But it has certainly happened to a lot of parents I know, who now have a "No password, no Facebook account" rule for anyone who lives under their roof.

I do not have a FB account. My husband does, he hardly uses it and I get on it to see what people are posting.

I am sooo glad FB was not around when I was a teen. No telling the stupid stuff I would of put on there. The constant need to post something witty and cool and having great pictures of yourself, and all the other junk on Facebook I think is too much for a teen. So, our kids will not have it. I honestly think FB is more damaging for teens than it is benefical and hopefully more parents will see that.

Because when you do, they accept. Then, they suddenly can't come. The, they post pictures of the party one of them decided to have at the same time you had invited everyone over. Guess what, you aren't there. Why not have a FB account? That is an option, but not to a teenager.

I have to admit I get a bit puzzled by the folks now who, if I mention emailing, look at me as if I suggested carving a message on rocks and attaching them to my pet pterodactyl as a way to communicate

lol. FB doesn't bother me. It did a couple of years ago so I left. The above is why I went back. Some people honestly can't use email anymore.

I'm sorry your feelings are hurt. I can see how some FB postings can do that. My kids and I try not to post every little thing we do with friends on FB, because we know it could be hurtful. Luckily most of my friends have the same policy - we don't feel bombarded with everyone's social activities. But we know we don't get included in *everything*.

If I were you I would start using FB features to block the worst offenders. Although that won't be 100% effective. If Jane & Sue are always posting activities and you block them - I think you might still see if another friend gets tagged, however.

Life is hard, even without new technologies. Remember slam books from 5th grade? :(

lSome people honestly can't use email anymore.

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's not a case of "can't," but rather "prefer not to." If they have access to a way to use Facebook and are capable of doing so, they have a way to use email. Anyone can get a gmail account.

Now, if they don't have access to a computer or any other device connected to the internet---that's a different story.