Menu

Are shorts for women a no-no?

I was reading the thread about clothes for summer and I noticed that *no one* mentioned shorts. Bottoms mentioned were capris, skirts, yoga pants, and jeans. Why is this? I notice that most women don't seem to wear them. To me, shorts are what you wear in summer! (This is left over from childhood/teen years, I suppose? Or did styles just change on me?) I mean, they're cool, casual, summery... what am I missing? I don't wear short styles -- I like the bermuda style best, narrow-legged and to a couple of inches above the knee. What am I missing? Are these a total fashion faux-pas now?

I was reading the thread about clothes for summer and I noticed that *no one* mentioned shorts. Bottoms mentioned were capris, skirts, yoga pants, and jeans. Why is this? I notice that most women don't seem to wear them. To me, shorts are what you wear in summer! (This is left over from childhood/teen years, I suppose? Or did styles just change on me?) I mean, they're cool, casual, summery... what am I missing? I don't wear short styles -- I like the bermuda style best, narrow-legged and to a couple of inches above the knee. What am I missing? Are these a total fashion faux-pas now?

I still were my shorts. Capris make me look like an oompa loompa. Then again, I am still trying to understand the floodwater pants fad. The ones that stop 3 inches above the ankle.

I find shorts more constricting than capris or short (knee length) skirts. So many styles with both the capris and shorts so it did take a while to figure out which styles are more flattering to my figure.

I prefer not to wear shorts. I will wear them if it is really hot but I'm usually so cold natured that even in the hottest parts of summer I feel too cool if I'm in shorts. They're ok if we're outside all day, but in the air conditioning, it is usually too cold for shorts. I also don't like how they feel when they hit my thigh and I feel they ride up shorter than I like. It has nothing to do with my size. My very classy and fashionable MIL wears longer shorts and looks amazing in them. I don't think they are out of style. I don't wear skirts much either. I find them a little too breezy.

You must have missed my post. ;)

Which thread was that? This one is recent and mentions shorts several times.

Huh, yes -- that's the one I meant but I guess I was reading too fast. It has been a phenomenon I've noticed among women recently so I guess I was thinking "this confirms it!" without doing due diligence! But I definitely feel in the minority when I wear shorts, and I wonder if people think they are too casual for wearing out or something.

I do have slim hips/thighs and am thicker around the middle... so I think they flatter me by highlighting a smaller part rather than my muffin top. ;)

I wear shorts. Skirts can be limiting - lots of things that are easier to do in shorts. Skorts are nice, but, since they are two layers, they can be too warm.

On a related note ... where are the skirts this season? I searched high and low for a skirt to wear for Easter. I couldn't find any except for teeny-tiny breezy skirts in the juniors department. I guess I need to try to find a pattern and sew a couple for summer.

I tend to wear skirts and dresses in the summer because shorts just are NOT flattering. It only took me 40 years to figure that one out. But, before that I wore a lot of shorts and just felt uncomfortable. They just do not flatter my body type/shape. It makes NO sense that a skirt would be more flattering than a pair of shorts. I wear skirts above the knee so they are the same length as my shorts. But, for some reason the skirt looks better.

I refuse to wear capri or 'pedal pushers' until I am in my 60s. I went to a party at my IL's house (think preppy, upscale BORING) and every single woman was wearing the same thing! They ALL had capri pants in white or navy, a 'cute top' in a bright color and a coordinating cardigan/jacket type thing. I am too young to look that old.

I still were my shorts. Capris make me look like an oompa loompa. Then again, I am still trying to understand the floodwater pants fad. The ones that stop 3 inches above the ankle.

Um, those are capris if I'm wearing them. 'Cause I'm 5' even and designers think all women have a 34" inseam. :glare:

I wear shorts. Most shorts I've encountered have an unfortunate habit of climbing up my inner thigh. :ack2: As a pp said, I tend to wear men's cargo shorts (which are capri length on me... See why I battle with capris?). I, too, am apparently reliable for fashion advice.

Um, those are capris if I'm wearing them. 'Cause I'm 5' even and designers think all women have a 34" inseam. :glare:

I wear shorts. Most shorts I've encountered have an unfortunate habit of climbing up my inner thigh. :ack2: As a pp said, I tend to wear men's cargo shorts (which are capri length on me... See why I battle with capris?). I, too, am apparently reliable for fashion advice.

So funny, because I have a 33" inseam and often wonder whether designers think all women have a 28" one or what.

But yes, the ride-up issue is the #1 reason why I love mens cargo shorts. Though they are not capris on me. The other top reason: THEY HAVE POCKETS!! Real pockets you can put stuff in without making funny bulges all over.

And if you see floodwater pants on me, they may just be regular pants...

So funny, because I have a 33" inseam and often wonder whether designers think all women have a 28" one or what.

But yes, the ride-up issue is the #1 reason why I love mens cargo shorts. Though they are not capris on me. The other top reason: THEY HAVE POCKETS!! Real pockets you can put stuff in without making funny bulges all over.

And if you see floodwater pants on me, they may just be regular pants...

We should shop together!

I have fat knees. I prefer to cover them up.

Bermudas (as Janie Grace describes them) or all the way to the ankles for me. Anything in between makes me look and feel like... yeah, an oompa-loompa!

Janie, aside from Old Navy, what's your favorite shorts source?

And fwiw, I'm not skinny. I am choosy about tops and look for ones that when combined with shorts create a flattering (forgiving?!) shape.

Bermudas (as Janie Grace describes them) or all the way to the ankles for me. Anything in between makes me look and feel like... yeah, an oompa-loompa!

And fwiw, I'm not skinny. I am choosy about tops and look for ones that when combined with shorts create a flattering (forgiving?!) shape.

I like the new st johns bay comfort shorts. They are nice and a good length. Look for the ones with the comfort band in the waist. They also have real pockets that hold things.

ALL of mine are from Old Navy! I think I have five pairs -- 2 denim and 3 lightweight cotton in various shades (khaki, grey and sage green). I don't love their quality for most things, but their shorts actually hold up really well. I like where they hit my waist (low but not too low) and the length is right on me.

I wear bermuda shorts year-round, but I'm in Texas. I am in jeans maybe 5-10 days/year.

I am extremely uncomfortable in any type of dress. I feel more dressed in a swimsuit than I do in a dress.

I am very short, so capris look awful on me. They generally come to just 2-3" above my ankles instead of to just below my knees.

Edited by AngieW in Texas

Tennis skirts! They have spandex shorts inside so you don't get thigh rub, and they are cute and more feminine looking than shorts. I think they look better on my heavier thighs!

OH!!! I had never thought of those! I am a chubby thigh girl no matter what my weight and the rubbing is awful. Where do you get yours?