Menu

I'm feeling uninspired this year and only just thinking about food now.

I'm doing a buffet style lunch. There will definitely be a baked ham, potato salad and monkey bread.

Last year I made

Baked Ham

Mashed Sweet Potato

Potato Rosemary Strudel

Creamed Spinach

Steamed Asparagus

Crescent Rolls

Chocolate Eclairs

Inspire me. What are you making this year?

Two of these: mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes, macaroni and cheese

Roasted brussel sprouts

Roasted cauliflower

Strawberry & spinach salad

Meatloaf

Pan-seared chicken with garlic and shallots

Two of these: rum cake, carrot cake with maple-cream cheese frosting, chocolate chip raspberry bundt cake, german chocolate cake

Leg of Lamb or Rack of Lamb with really good lamb gravy because I am the queen of making good gravy.

Roasted potatoes, cooked in the same pan, with roasted garlic nearby

Asparagus

Salad--either Spinach, Radicchio or Romaine. DD would prefer Romaine, so we will probably go with that since she is a vegetarian.

Some kind of other veggie if there is something interesting in our CSA box--we get the first of this season on Thursday, and they have not told us what will be in it as they normally do. I'm thinking raw carrots or radishes or little cherry tomatoes--some kind of finger food veggie

Exotic cheese plate for aforementioned vegetarian DD

Wine

French Silk Pie

Cointreau

We do courses and eat All Day. In between courses we take walks.

1.Crudite with different dips (Barefoot Contessa's Onion dip and Pioneer Woman's Ranch are nomnomnom)

-Cheeses, crackers, breadsticks

-stuffed mushrooms, olives

2. Easter Pie, this is not a sweet pie, but a savory one with chunks of pecorino romano, prosciutto, hardboiled eggs and salami all bound together with eggs/heavy cream. It is sheer heaven, and frankly Easter for me could be this pie alone. Me, this pie and a fork, thanks for comin', bye now. :D

3. antipasta (cold, with cheeses, salami, olives and roasted peppers)

4. lobster ravioli (we normally do penne vodka but we had that this weekend. MIL says ravioli is traditional, and I wasn't. :p )

Now comes a span, and Dinner comes out.

5. creamed spinach

new peas with parsley

scalloped potatoes (Cooks Illustrated)

baked ham

cheddar dill scones (Barefoot Contessa-these are awesome)

6. Coffee/dessert

Torta di riso (Easter Rice pie)

Wheat Pie (these are traditional Italian Easter pies. What I love about them is that they are fresh tasting, and barely sweet, but sweet enough to end a meal beautifully)

Ricotta cheesecake.

Sfogliatelle (soo ya delle is the way my MIL says it)

Easter is bigger than Christmas at my house. :001_smile:

Edited by justamouse

I am working Sat. and that is when my family is coming for Easter dinner so my children are making everything this year.

Baked Ziti

Mashed pot.

Beth's Salad

plain salad(veggies)

cut up veggies

cut up fruit(depends what we can get but we normally like at least 3 kinds)

coconut macaroons

that is all they planned for right now and since they are prepping.planning,cutting and cooking I am good with it!;)

We are very low key here this year. Only a couple of guests and they are family so I'n not doing the china, silver and crystal deal.

We'll do brunch food:

Egg and croissant casserole.

Asparagus

Fresh fruit salad -pineapple, kiwi, mango

Pound cake with fresh strawberries and/or homemade chocolate sauce.

Two of these: mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes, macaroni and cheese

Roasted brussel sprouts

Roasted cauliflower

Strawberry & spinach salad

Meatloaf

Pan-seared chicken with garlic and shallots

Two of these: rum cake, carrot cake with maple-cream cheese frosting, chocolate chip raspberry bundt cake, german chocolate cake

My family was begging me to make meatloaf for Easter and I was hesitant- and I'm SO glad to see you're making meatloaf! Now I can make meatloaf- which I only do like twice a year- and they will be so happy. We don't like ham, turkey, or roasts. Meatloaf it is!!!

we are so excited that everyone (I have 10 dc) will be here except dd #3 who lives in Montana. My two grandaughters will be here! This is our menu for Easter dinner:

Bone in Ham

Potato Salad

Calico Beans

Overnight Lettuce Salad

Broccoli Rice Casserole

Peach Bavarian Jello Salad

Fruit Salad de Pene (this is wonderful and so different, dd #3 recipe)

Olives/Pickles

Rolls

For dessert, the following is our traditonal Easter dessert:

Angel Food Cake w/ sweetened strawberries

Pound Cake

Ice Cream

Cool whip

I can't imagine what people are making out here.....

The store seems to be bereft of zucchinis, cauliflower, Broccoli and barley...:ack2:

I guess everybody is making some sort of gross soup? LOL.

There were quite a number of people lining up to stare at the cucumbers, then glancing dazedly around. I guess they wanted to make that stew with Zucchini too. :D

ANYHOO, back to the Me and U, I always recommend chicken pasta salad....because its like my favourite event food. "What do you want for Christmas?" "Chicken pasta salad" "What do you want for your birthday?" "Chicken Pasta Salad". I think it goes with practically everything, and even had the word salad in there, so you can make believe its healthier than it is. I especially like making it at home, as I eat it whilst its still warm lol, and leave out the celery & chives (don't like crunchy sour stuff in my pasta :p ) Great.....now I have a craving for it...guess I know what I'm getting as soon as I get paid.

Another thing if you have younger kids (or even big kids :D ) is to use the easter cookie cutters to cut up fruit, so you have bunny & egg shaped fruit salad. :)

I can't imagine what people are making out here.....

The store seems to be bereft of zucchinis, cauliflower, Broccoli and barley...:ack2:

I guess everybody is making some sort of gross soup? LOL.

There were quite a number of people lining up to stare at the cucumbers, then glancing dazedly around. I guess they wanted to make that stew with Zucchini too. :D

ANYHOO, back to the Me and U, I always recommend chicken pasta salad....because its like my favourite event food. "What do you want for Christmas?" "Chicken pasta salad" "What do you want for your birthday?" "Chicken Pasta Salad". I think it goes with practically everything, and even had the word salad in there, so you can make believe its healthier than it is. I especially like making it at home, as I eat it whilst its still warm lol, and leave out the celery & chives (don't like crunchy sour stuff in my pasta :p ) Great.....now I have a craving for it...guess I know what I'm getting as soon as I get paid.

Another thing if you have younger kids (or even big kids :D ) is to use the easter cookie cutters to cut up fruit, so you have bunny & egg shaped fruit salad. :)

You can't dangle the idea of chicken pasta salad without posting a recipe!

So far:

smoke-grilled leg of lamb

oven-roasted asparagus

another veggie of some sort...what are cinnamon carrots???

crescent rolls

sweet taters somehow (mil bringing)

green salad

rice pilaf or ? for folks who dislike sweet taters

some sort of appetizer

jello eggs

lamb cake

some other dessert not yet decided.

You really want to know? Ok, due to extenuating circumstances that make me NOT want to have to mess with a meal and the huge clean up afterwards because there's no other option than to have EVERYONE come to my house, we're having.

pizza.

Yes, I'm serious. :lol:

You can't dangle the idea of chicken pasta salad without posting a recipe!

Its about the easiest thing there is! lol

Cooked chicken - shredded

Pasta - Usually the best is the elbow macaroni, but any type is pretty much fine

Corn Kernels

Grated Carrot

Some sort of mayo/white cream - Everywhere in the world is different, like mayo out here (Aus) is equal to salad cream or something in the UK. Depending upon my mood I either go with a more subtle/bland type whole egg mayo, or the more tangy mayo if I am looking for something with a little zing.

You just throw the cooked pasta, chicken, kernels and carrots in there and smother in the mayo and toss.

Variations - Add spring onion, celery, capsicum for zing & crunch, or boiled egg slices to give the mayo that extra homemade feel. Its all about experimentation of what your particular tastes are. Leave out the kernels if you don't like those.

It is usually served cold, like you would a potato salad. I only eat it warm when I have just made it and don't feel like waiting :tongue_smilie:

So far this is what we are having:

Brisket

Potato Salad

Deviled Eggs

Strawberry-Spinach Salad

Baked Beans

Rolls

Usually I love holiday cooking and holidays in general but this year I am just not feeling it. We have been really busy lately and the idea of having hubby's family over for Easter just seems very overwhelming. Hopefully I get out of this funk very soon!

:bigear: I've never heard of this before, except for a recent episode of Worst Cooks, where one of them (after becoming a decent cook) either roasted or grilled cauliflower.

Instructions? Recipes?

Preheat oven to 425.

Prepare cauliflower by cutting into florets, rinsing, and then patting dry with a towel.

In a large bowl or ziploc bag, toss cauliflower with olive oil (I start with 1/8 cup and see if that's enough -- you want the cauliflower lightly coated, but not dripping, with oil). Place cauliflower in a large baking dish or on an oiled cookie sheet.

Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic and/or onion powder. Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes, stirring about halfway through to keep food from sticking to pan and to promote even cooking.

*Variations

Spray with cooking spray instead of using oil

Mince fresh garlic and toss it with the cauliflower

Sprinkle with finely shredded parmesan either before cooking or during the last few minutes of cooking

My family was begging me to make meatloaf for Easter and I was hesitant- and I'm SO glad to see you're making meatloaf! Now I can make meatloaf- which I only do like twice a year- and they will be so happy. We don't like ham, turkey, or roasts. Meatloaf it is!!!

I would normally do a ham but I forgot to source one in time (I don't buy conventional animal products); so, meatloaf and chicken it is. I hope that's okay to serve to guests! :001_smile:

:bigear: I've never heard of this before, except for a recent episode of Worst Cooks, where one of them (after becoming a decent cook) either roasted or grilled cauliflower.

Instructions? Recipes?

there's two ways I roast them.

Whole head-make a slather of fresh dill, salt, pepper, and *cumin* and at least one stick of butter. Place the head in a pan, and spread the butter/herb blend all over it. Roast it until it's done. Believe it or not, the cumin and dill are amazing together.

The other way is cutting off florets and tossing them with EVOO, salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest, and about a cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Line a cookie sheet with parchment, then roast them until you have nice brown bits.

I could eat two heads like that. They're so good you just pop them in your mouth like popcorn.

We do courses and eat All Day. In between courses we take walks.

1.Crudite with different dips (Barefoot Contessa's Onion dip and Pioneer Woman's Ranch are nomnomnom)

-Cheeses, crackers, breadsticks

-stuffed mushrooms, olives

2. Easter Pie, this is not a sweet pie, but a savory one with chunks of pecorino romano, prosciutto, hardboiled eggs and salami all bound together with eggs/heavy cream. It is sheer heaven, and frankly Easter for me could be this pie alone. Me, this pie and a fork, thanks for comin', bye now. :D

3. antipasta (cold, with cheeses, salami, olives and roasted peppers)

4. lobster ravioli (we normally do penne vodka but we had that this weekend. MIL says ravioli is traditional, and I wasn't. :p )

Now comes a span, and Dinner comes out.

5. creamed spinach

new peas with parsley

scalloped potatoes (Cooks Illustrated)

baked ham

cheddar dill scones (Barefoot Contessa-these are awesome)

6. Coffee/dessert

Torta di riso (Easter Rice pie)

Wheat Pie (these are traditional Italian Easter pies. What I love about them is that they are fresh tasting, and barely sweet, but sweet enough to end a meal beautifully)

Ricotta cheesecake.

Sfogliatelle (soo ya delle is the way my MIL says it)

Easter is bigger than Christmas at my house. :001_smile:

I am going to attempt these recipes! Do you make the Sfogliatelle from scratch too?

I would normally do a ham but I forgot to source one in time (I don't buy conventional animal products); so, meatloaf and chicken it is. I hope that's okay to serve to guests! :001_smile:

How funny- my son doesn't eat meatloaf so I'm making chicken for him. I never thought I'd find someone else making meatloaf for Easter, but someone else making chicken AND meatloaf? My sister thinks I should shape the meatloaf like an egg and decorate the top- bacon strips, ketchup swirls, etc. I'm considering it...

You really want to know? Ok, due to extenuating circumstances that make me NOT want to have to mess with a meal and the huge clean up afterwards because there's no other option than to have EVERYONE come to my house, we're having.

pizza.

Yes, I'm serious. :lol:

Sounds good to me!!!! :001_smile:

We are very low key here this year. Only a couple of guests and they are family so I'n not doing the china, silver and crystal deal.

We always do the "fine" china as we call it (disposable plates & cups). Usually the single men that come are in charge of bringing these and drinks.

I am going to attempt these recipes! Do you make the Sfogliatelle from scratch too?

HECK no. Those are bought. But if I just typed it out, no one would know what I was talking about. ;)

I got the rice, wheat and crusts all ready to go today. (and I linked another Easter Pie)

I'm feeling uninspired this year and only just thinking about food now.

I'm doing a buffet style lunch. There will definitely be a baked ham, potato salad and monkey bread.

Last year I made

Baked Ham

Mashed Sweet Potato

Potato Rosemary Strudel

Creamed Spinach

Steamed Asparagus

Crescent Rolls

Chocolate Eclairs

Inspire me. What are you making this year?

I made reservations at a restaurant! This year, I decided I'm sick and tired of EX's drama when it comes to holidays and food (he's on WW, therefore no food will be on his table that isn't WW food. This mentality causes conflict among those who view feast days as days to enjoy and eat and celebrate and NOT count points or calories. For Thanksgiving, he brought his own meal to a family dinner. Did not go over well--but I'm getting of the subject...).

So, anyway, bearing in mind how fed I up am with EX and his drama, I made reservations at a historic restaurant here for an Easter buffet. It's only $16 a person (which sounds like a LOT, but compared to other places that were charging around $30 a plate, I'm good with the $16). DD and I are going; Ds texted me today he has to work Easter, so it'll just be the two of us. I plan to go to church, feast, and nap. Maybe work in a movie on Netflix. No drama, no stress. Which is precisely how I like holidays to be.

Leg of Lamb or Rack of Lamb with really good lamb gravy because I am the queen of making good gravy.

Roasted potatoes, cooked in the same pan, with roasted garlic nearby

Asparagus

Salad--either Spinach, Radicchio or Romaine. DD would prefer Romaine, so we will probably go with that since she is a vegetarian.

Some kind of other veggie if there is something interesting in our CSA box--we get the first of this season on Thursday, and they have not told us what will be in it as they normally do. I'm thinking raw carrots or radishes or little cherry tomatoes--some kind of finger food veggie

Exotic cheese plate for aforementioned vegetarian DD

Wine

French Silk Pie

Cointreau

FWIW, I planned my menu before I read this post.

Broad beans with butter and cream

Roast leg of lamb with mustard crust

Roast potatoes cooked with the lamb

Roast asparagus, carrots and shallots

New Peas with mint

Nigella Lawson Easter Egg Nest Cake

Fresh Strawberries

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/easter-egg-nest-cake

(Except I think I will use my own flourless cake recipe and use grated chocolate instead of whipped cream for the top.)

Carol -- I would love some tips on a good lamb gravy!

ETA edited to show final menu

Oh, the above is for dinner. For lunch after church:

Pistachios

Quiche Lorraine

Smoked salmon

Cheese platter

Mesclun-herb salad

Fresh fruit

Italian wheat pie -- I had never heard of this until someone posted recently. Then my local Italian gourmet shop had these for sale -- the samples were delicious.

Edited by Alessandra

Its just the 4 of us this year, so my dream is to go out for brunch...However, its just too much money to justify spending over $100 in a crowded environment, so I'll be making:

ham

cheesy potato casserole

grilled asparagus

glazed carrots

and a non-traditional apple pie :)

Here is my menu:

Appetizers:

Veggies/ dip

Chips/salsa

Dinner:

Turkey

Potatoes au gratin

Salad

Green beans

Fresh Corn

Home made rolls

Deserts:

Cheese cake

Carrot cake

Easter cupcakes

Everything sounds so yummy on here! I'm getting excited for tomorrow! You've also inspired me to take it up a notch. I tried the carrot cake recipe and it smells divine! :) It's in the freezer waiting to be frosted and decorated! I also have decided to pull out the china for tomorrow!

You all are the best and I love reading your responses. You all inspire me! :)

Ham

Roasted Chicken*

Salad

Asparagus

Green Beans

Baked Potatoes

Scalloped Potatoes*

Deviled Eggs (if DD colors eggs)

Angel Biscuits

Caramel Apple Pie*

Coconut Cake (bunny shaped)

* To be brought by our guests, along with other fattening foods I cannot spell or pronounce and have never heard of. :001_smile:

Instructions? Recipes?

Cut the cauliflower into florets. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Roast in oven on oiled cookie sheet at 400F for 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese then serve.

How funny- my son doesn't eat meatloaf so I'm making chicken for him. I never thought I'd find someone else making meatloaf for Easter, but someone else making chicken AND meatloaf? My sister thinks I should shape the meatloaf like an egg and decorate the top- bacon strips, ketchup swirls, etc. I'm considering it...

That would be so cute!

Lamb on Easter seems quite popular now but I don't remember this from my childhood or young adulthood for that matter. My family's tradition was ham and kielbasa--neither of which I eat now. We're having dinner with friends tonight who are preparing a ham. We're bringing sauteed shrimp on a bed of kale.

Starting the morning with a pecan/maple danish

For lunch:

Smoked pork butt

Baked beans

sweet corn

crockpot potato cassarole

rolls

DD decorated a beautiful chocolate butterfly shaped cake

and lots of Easter Candy.

I'm not doing a big dinner this year... and I'm a bit sad about it. I love baking! But... we're in the middle of getting ready to move etc and since it is only going to be DH, DS1 & I eating most of it I decided to keep it simple (sigh).

We're doing a small pork loin, mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted carrots & zucchini, homemade rolls and a store bought lemon meringue pie (DH's request) for dessert.

Well, I don't want to make anyone feel inferior or less-than but prepare to hear my impressive Easter spread. Ready for it? A great, big sandwich spread buffet! Woo-hoo! Come on, admit it. You are impressed by my mad cooking and party planning skills! LOL. We are having about 25 friends over for just a fun day. We've bought corned beef, roast beef, Cajun turkey and all the fun things to make Reubens and such. It'll be fun and stress free. ;)

Well, I don't want to make anyone feel inferior or less-than but prepare to hear my impressive Easter spread. Ready for it? A great, big sandwich spread buffet! Woo-hoo! Come on, admit it. You are impressed by my mad cooking and party planning skills! LOL. We are having about 25 friends over for just a fun day. We've bought corned beef, roast beef, Cajun turkey and all the fun things to make Reubens and such. It'll be fun and stress free. ;)

Sounds good to me!!!!

not having a big dinner here-staying home instead of going out to the big family gathering-dh has to work tomorrow so by the time we would have gotten out there we would have had to turn around and come back so he could go to work....I'm having a girlfriend and her daughter over sometime tomorrow--but for lunch we're doing baked ham,potato salad,and probably another veggie.....later when my friend comes I have hummus and spinach dips and crackers....and of course EGGS-might whip up egg salad sandwiches....:D

and my sister gets a ham, fried chicken, Mac and cheese, green bean casserole, baked beans, rolls, and desserts. I'm on a no sugar or anything that acts like sugar diet, so I ate nothing.

Sunday, I'll have kids here in the morning. I am planning to make a nice, crustless veggie quiche, and some fresh sausage purchased at the farmer's market (on the side so those that want to can pass). I may do toast or biscuits, but since I can't eat bread right now, and bread is my biggest weakness, I may make everyone else suffer. :tongue_smilie: