Menu

What is your, "What's The Big Deal?" curriculum?

WIS0320

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, ya'll are scaring me with MM and BFSU! I intend on using both of those for next year and beyond!

I also don't understand the hype of HOP. That would drive my son crazy, it's sooo slow. I just watched a preview of it and was appalled. Took 30 seconds for a dancing letter to get across the page. Starfall.com when he was 2 was appropriate. At age 5 he needed something more hands on and faster.

anything else I really don't know about...oh, yeah, I like the looks of the Apologia books, but don't like the fact it focuses on only one aspect per book, which is why I got BFSU - everything was included and I didn't have to spend $30 per book, per subject...

That is why homeschooling is so wonderful. What works well for one family is a miserable failure for another one and that is ok.

Personally my girls and I love BFSU (and FIAR!). Both are very teacher intensive but I enjoy all the planning. I love planning my own nature, composer and artist studies.

I can't imagine using a curriculum that has a checklist or pre-planned schedule. I despise textbooks except for Singapore. We use a DVD for a small part of our music curriculum, but I can not imagine using one for any of our main subjects. The thought of a co-op or CC makes me twitchy.

I used HOP K with my oldest and switched to VP Phonics Museum. I love VP phonics museum, but there is something to be said for the simplicity of the HOP K program in the early stages of learning to read. My 4 year old is at the point in VP where she is starting to read the books, but they are too much for her right now. She breezes through the HOP readers for the same word families but the VP readers overwhelm her.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: I love it!

MUS (there are so many who love it, but a whole year on addition? OUCH!)

this!

LOL I thought the same....but something about it clicks for DS! 30 lessons on division has me bored! And MM was another I didn't get, bc DS tried it and cried. Then I gave it to DD and she adores it...go figure. :tongue_smilie:

But if I sell my Nature Study Handbook that I never use and probably never will use, I will never be CM. I WANT to be CM. By getting rid of the out-of-date handbook, I am admitting that I AM a nature study failure. If it remains on my shelf, there is the hope that one day I will take my children outside and they will come across something really interesting, we will look it up in the book, and watercolor a page about it and I will finally earn my CM badge.

:lol: Thank you for giving me the courage to finally sell it! I've owned mine for years and I think it's only been opened once. I was so underwhelmed yet overwhelmed all at the same time.

My list:

Miquon. I just didn't get it. Talk about a flop for my family!

Kumon workbooks. Boring with a capital B.

TOG for younger kids. Great for older kids but so not worth it for youngers, IMHO.

MUS (my kids got 3-4 years behind in math!)

FLL-loved it for awhile, but my kids did not retain any of it.

MM

Rosetta Stone

Sequential Spelling. I don't know how they think the kid is supposed to learn those words, but it just sucked the life out of my dd.

We like so many on everyone else's list-Sonlight, Saxon, Singapore, BFSU. :lol:

So many.

MCT- I don't get the appeal. The samples put me to sleep.

HOD

FIAR

Aleks - I even reviewed this. It was alright, but not awesome.

Winter Promise- used two of their programs- totally disconnected and I had to tweak it so much they should have paid me....

Lifepacs- BORING

Singapore

Sonlight- except for Core 5

Robinson Curriculum

Ambleside Online

FIAR

Beast Academy- my son does not enjoy comic books at all. He does laugh himself silly over LOF and remembers a lot of things from It.

Sonlight

WRTR as a readin curriculum. I totally get it for spelling, just not for reading.

FIAR. It made me want to run to the local school and sign my child up if that's what homeschooling was going to be like.

Sonlight. A booklist. With really bizarre book selections completely inappropriate for the intended age.

Classical Conversations. All of the annoyances of homeschooling with none of the freedoms, plus you pay a huge sum of money for it.

Any religiously based science program baffles me. Especially in elementary school, where we spent our time learning about, say, seeds.

I have a hard time with this, too. Per my faith, I want to teach my kids certain additional things not found in secular science materials. But, I dislike it when I buy a curriculum labeled "science" and what I get instead is a worldview course with a side-dish of science, even if I do agree with the view presented.

Winter Promise- used two of their programs- totally disconnected and I had to tweak it so much they should have paid me....

Lifepacs- BORING

:iagree: HOLY COW! Lifepac Health Quest for gr. 8-12 was a total bust. Way to suck the interest completely out of a topic. Not enough teaching, and again, more worldview than actual health topics. I had the same issue with WP as you. It was too disconnected and I ditched it after the first quarter that year and finished with Guesthollow's free online curriculum.

Programs we bought that did not work for us:

FIAR

100 Easy lessons

Sonlight (got the guides second hand luckily). We did, however, love their Discover and Do DVD's

Life of Fred

And most recently Task Cards.

....and MUS and IEW work well for us :)

Sometimes samples can be deceiving. MCT is one such curriculum. Even flipping through a friend's copy of the full grammar book I didn't get an accurate sense of what the program is really like. It wasn't until I got the complete set that I finally understood why MCT got all the raves.

I don't see how people can stand to use Saxon math and R&S grammar year in and year out, with multiple children no less! I can tell from previewing the books that they are both solid programs, but I think I'd poke my eyes out if I were forced to use them long term. :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I almost couldn't read this, you know, because I've spent the last few years poking my eyes :tongue_smilie:. Seriously, though, with having 5 kids so close together, knowing these two core subjects are solid and thorough, and the fact they require minimal help from me from grade 3 up, enables me to spend my time actually teaching the fun stuff and reading aloud.

I don't get Phonics Road to Reading, TOG, or All About Spelling/All About Reading. They seem so overpriced, and like they make things more complicated than they have to be. I've wanted to like TOG--I am the target audience, after all--but my brain just doesn't work in the TOG way. Oh, well.

I was so :confused: about MCT until I saw it all at a convention last month.

That's funny, because everyone assured me that when I saw the complete program, I would get it. Looking through my friends' books apparently wasn't enough (which, imo, is a problem right there. If you can't get a good sense of the thing even when you look through one of their books, then it's probably not my style). I went to the convention. I hung around the MCT booth. I looked through a million books. I had a 20-minute conversation with MCT himself (and he is a VERY nice man).

I'm still all ... "meh."

Tara

How could you throw out books for formatting and font, yet keep LoF? Ugghhh that is one oddly formatted book with different fonts used throughout.

Because it's formatting and font don't bother me. :D I don't mind odd.

I cannot stand the way certain things are laid out, and most things are laid out that way. I hate that OPGTR used a font where the capital I looks like a lower case L. I can't stand comic sans. I hate when there are too many words on a page. I love the idea behind Bravewriter and the Writer's Jungle, but I cannot stand the way it is laid out.

Like I said, I like things that are not typical, and certain editorial choices just don't work for me.

We used Sonlight because everyone else we knew did. What a poor reason to pick a curriculum! It was not for our family and I couldn't understand the love affair with it. However, we have kept some of the books for our reading list. But I was bored to tears reading some of the selections. Sonlight gets my vote for What's the big deal?

As far as a curriculum we haven't tried....I wonder what people enjoy about Rod and Staff. It appears to be bland and I can't justify looking at black and white pages all day. I don't know. I would love to know why others use it. Maybe I can learn something new.

I was meh until about halfway through Island. Seriously I did not get what all the hype was about until using it for awhile. Someone here encouraged me to stick with it and then I'd "get it". They were right.

Personality differences, I guess. :D We are a very straight-to-the-point family. Things that meander toward the point get dumped right quick!

Tara

I happen to love Teaching the Classics. Why not demystify literature and make sure you learn how to discuss literature with your kids? He does sell more detailed plans too. However, you can take me with a grain of salt though because I also love Bravewriter and Andrew Kern talks. I like to work on my formation and then just let it trickle down to the kids. :lol::lol::lol:

Edited by kristinannie

FIAR (half the books are out of print and our library has tossed them)

Elemental Science (this was a cut, color, and narrate program with minimal science)

BFSU (Anything that requires that much planning from me in an area that is not my specialty is an epic fail. What happened to keeping the concepts simple?)

But if I sell my Nature Study Handbook that I never use and probably never will use, I will never be CM. I WANT to be CM. By getting rid of the out-of-date handbook, I am admitting that I AM a nature study failure. If it remains on my shelf, there is the hope that one day I will take my children outside and they will come across something really interesting, we will look it up in the book, and watercolor a page about it and I will finally earn my CM badge.

:lol: I love it! You've articulated what many of us have felt at one point, or already feel :) I have justified it sitting there by saying "it's a reference". I know it is chockfull of interesting information, it's pretty awesome once you dig in, but.. gosh. It's also so overwhelming. I have to remember to consult it, because I really like the ideas presented. I am going out once a week for Nature Study. However, I do not want to lug Handbook of Nature Study. It requires pre-planning on my part to read the lesson beforehand, have the children play for an hour or two unfettered, then remember to tell them a sentence or two about the plants, natural phenomena and animals we encounter.

We had so much fun today outdoors for about 3-4 hours enjoying the butterflies, cardinals (many of them!), crows, pigeons, lizards, crabs, and squirrels. We also admired the trees, the foliage, and wondered at the spiders and caterpillars. From the few pages I had read in HNS, I was able to say a few words here and there, tell them and ignite their imaginations.

Edited by sagira

Oh, even yesser. I'm almost over it, but I can relate to this so much. I've spent the last seven years wishing I was that kind of mom ... the sweet, gentle mom who loves nature and gardens and fairy stories and all that.

I'm not. I'm a snarky, demanding mom who loves tech toys, dystopian lit, and sci-fi. I also love my kids to pieces and they find me hilarious and interesting. It works for us, so I don't really have CM envy anymore ... even if I occasionally am convinced that means there's something very wrong with me.

LOL Kirsten! I had to double-check to see that I didn't write this post myself. The way you describe yourself and your relationship with your boys fits me and my house to a T!

Wow...so many over the past 17 years, I don't know where to start. :lol:

I'll just pick the main offenders...and I have tried to use these.

FIAR...when it first came out. Liked the concept, but my kiddos did NOT want to read the same book five days in a row.

HOD...total bust. Completely underwhelming in its rigor. Tried it for about six weeks and realized my son would be hopelessly behind if we continued with this curriculum.

MFW...see above. Required so much supplementation by me, it was worthless. The science, in particular, was abysmal.

I have learned my lesson. I now know that there is no "magic bullet" curriculum that will answer all my needs and desires. I make my own by combining multiple curriculums. That way I have the rigor, teaching style and excitement that I want. The way I want it. :D

:lol:

This is my next step: admitting that I will never be CM. The first step is selling the Nature Handbook. At this time I can't even take the first step. I just KNOW that NEXT year will be the year for me! We are going to do the composer studies, and artist studies, and watercolor in our nature notebooks! And then, we will come inside and sit by the fire and do handiworks!

This is me! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying. We need a support group.

Singapore math.

Yeah. I didn't mention it before because I know it's the holy grail of math, but Singapore is weird. Personally, I feel that there are easier ways to teach the concepts it teaches. I used it before the HIGs came out, so maybe that has transformed the program into something magical sprinkled with fairy dust, but I suspect that my kids will do just fine with their non-Singapore math. ;)

Tara

I love posts like this - they are a timely reminder that every family is different, and that what works for some will be hell for others - so taking and giving advice should be done with large blocks of salt!! ;) Our favorite programs are getting a lot of tomatoes here - BFSU, MM, MCT, LOF! :D

Things we've tried and dropped were mostly things recommended in the WTM that I tried on faith when I didn't really know "us" yet - and I still think they are fine programs, but they just didn't work *for us*: FLL, BTS, Spelling Workout.

One thing a lot of people like that just made my eyes cross was the Hakim History of US books - I kept checking them out of the library, trying to read them, and literally being unable to get through a page. Not going to work here.

Finding your curricula soul-mates is fun, although expensive. I'm counting on little dd, though, to hate everything that has worked for her big sister and make me start from scratch:tongue_smilie:!!!

Yeah. I didn't mention it before because I know it's the holy grail of math, but Singapore is weird. Personally, I feel that there are easier ways to teach the concepts it teaches. I used it before the HIGs came out, so maybe that has transformed the program into something magical sprinkled with fairy dust, but I suspect that my kids will do just fine with their non-Singapore math. ;)

Tara

This. I bought it twice. I always go back to MM.

I am not tempted by all of the newest curriculum or reviews but the two I really am not impressed with are Singapore math and MCT. MCT just needs something else. DS doesn't care if grammar is fun, or has pictures. Just get to the point already. And with SM, I cannot get over using 2 books. I just cannot, and neither can DS. In this house, one book means one subject LOL. We like it very to the point I have come to find.

Tara

Yup. Singapore is on my WTBD list.

The rest of my WTBD programs are good programs that are WAY overpriced:

• Sonlight (love the books, but $400 for history for a 3rd grader?)

• Right Start math (again, good program, but $200 for 1st grade math? It wasn't THAT good.)

Reading this thread I am stuck somewhere between entertained and concerned since we are trying SL next year! :tongue_smilie:

However, I will take heart in the fact we love MM and a few of the others mentioned here a few times. ;)

My "I don't get it's" would include:

--Saxon math: dd was able to "do" math just fine on the worksheet but rendered completely helpless when seeing that problem anywhere else even slightly different. She got almost nothing from a whole year, an hour a day of it . . . :glare: MM has brought tremendous conceptual understanding.

--MFW. Love the idea: Biblical integration, everyone together, literature rich. Sounds wonderful. And then I go to the website. :lol: Every time I go look at it, I am once again :confused: The younger years are not nearly enough for us (K-1). Then the family rotation seem over the heads of the littles and not enough for the olders. I always think, too good to be true? yes.

--seriously ducking for cover here. SOTW. :001_huh: I really really really wanted to love it. I LOVE the idea of it. Some parts were great, some meh. I personally think the constant go between of historical narrative and historical fiction can be confusing for a 1st grader, and just prefer to have our historical fiction separate. Also, there were definite extra-Biblical liberties taken with some Bible characters, I was not ok with that. I still like it, I just don't get the major adoration. :tongue_smilie:

I also find it amusing in my still short homeschool journey how one thing that I completely don't get will be wonderful to me just months or years later... :lol:

Reading this thread I am stuck somewhere between entertained and concerned since we are trying SL next year! :tongue_smilie:

However, I will take heart in the fact we love MM and a few of the others mentioned here a few times. ;)

My "I don't get it's" would include:

--Saxon math: dd was able to "do" math just fine on the worksheet but rendered completely helpless when seeing that problem anywhere else even slightly different. She got almost nothing from a whole year, an hour a day of it . . . :glare: MM has brought tremendous conceptual understanding.

--MFW. Love the idea: Biblical integration, everyone together, literature rich. Sounds wonderful. And then I go to the website. :lol: Every time I go look at it, I am once again :confused: The younger years are not nearly enough for us (K-1). Then the family rotation seem over the heads of the littles and not enough for the olders. I always think, too good to be true? yes.

--seriously ducking for cover here. SOTW. :001_huh: I really really really wanted to love it. I LOVE the idea of it. Some parts were great, some meh. I personally think the constant go between of historical narrative and historical fiction can be confusing for a 1st grader, and just prefer to have our historical fiction separate. Also, there were definite extra-Biblical liberties taken with some Bible characters, I was not ok with that. I still like it, I just don't get the major adoration. :tongue_smilie:

I also find it amusing in my still short homeschool journey how one thing that I completely don't get will be wonderful to me just months or years later... :lol:

I thought the same thing when I looked at MFW last night. It just didn't seem enough for the younger years. I looked at the prices and thought "That's it? for that???"

I used to think this as well until my library fine bill got into triple digits and SL prices to actually own the books seems like a great deal! :lol:

We have been having the same problem here so this year I'm buying all teh books. Trying to find what I can used.

:iagree:

I forgot about this one, complete waste of money considering all the adding on I ended up doing.

Noelle

Grammar stage ES was a bust here too. I bought it because I already had many of the books. I should not have been surprised when my son did not want to read them again on schedule for science. He's also has always hated anything resembling a narration.

It's MUCH better at the logic stage level. I have recently began having my kids do a mini-report each week (The teacher's manual just says "writing assignment" and seems to leave what kind & how involved up to you.).

I'm still not overly enamored of some of the activities. With that in mind, I have two VanCleave books to fall back on next year when we do Earth and Space.

I now know that there is no "magic bullet" curriculum that will answer all my needs and desires.

There isn't? Dang it.

Every year I hope someone will have written the perfect curriculum for me, but every year I keep having to work it out or piece it together myself. Sigh.

Personality differences, I guess. :D We are a very straight-to-the-point family. Things that meander toward the point get dumped right quick!

Tara

Then you would definitely not like MCT's grammar. It is anything BUT straight to the point. I have a love/hate relationship with MCT, and the ADD-ish grammar drives.me.up.a.wall :auto: