Miquon Math

Primary Grade Math Challenge

First Language Lessons

Growing with Grammar

Sentence Composing for Elementary School

Lightning Literature

Explode the Code

Story of the World with CDs and Activity Guide

Secondly, I am very much enjoying Latin the the Christian Trivium. My 8th gr. ds is finishing up Volume II, and my ds12 will begin Volume 1 this fall, after finishing Latina Christiana II.

I'm anticipating my next big discovery will be what I read in Andrew Campbell's Latin-Centered Curriculum.

I'm sorry you didn't make it to the Florida convention this year. I know that NC had theirs at the same time. Some day I'll get to see/hear you in person!

After many years of trying everything out there, I would have to say my YES! moments have been in:

The Well Trained Mind - When I started this journey I was very lucky to come upon your book. It made it possible for my brain to grasp the concept of homeschooling. You gave me a plan and you gave me the confidence to jump in with both my feet.

Singapore Math - We have used EarlyBird through NEM Book 1 now and we just love it and can't get enough. As other have mentioned the Challenging Word Problems books are essential.

Classical Writing - I used it before the workbooks and loved it, but the workbooks made it so much better for us. We are in Homer B right now and the journey is so much fun. I will say it has not been my children's favorite and I think it is because of the level of work expected but as they have matured I can see their appreciation for it grow. I am glad I stuck with it and my children's writing is the proof.

Galore Park - We use Latin, Spanish, French, and Greek (can't wait for Greek Prep) from them. My language hungry child can't get enough. She loves how simple they make learning a language. My logical thinker loves how they systematically break down the language so you are not just learning randomly or by immersion. Grammar heavy is what they both enjoy.

I am *hoping* Writing with Ease will be another YES! moment. With my older two I never managed the narration/copywork/dictation process well in the beginning. I can see where WWE will prepare him well for Classical Writing. Let's just hope he can handle it.

Thanks for all your hard work.

I hope to have more of these discoveries in the next year but so far I only have a few consistent things we've loved in the last 3 years:

Explode the Code-simple, effective, cost efficient

MCP Math-simple, great teacher's manual, effective, cost efficient

Handwriting without Tears-not the prettiest handwriting but has worked wonders for both my kids.

Abeka Readers-these just work for my kids-a variety of themes, leveled readers, comprehension questions if you need them.

Jim Weiss CDs-love them all!

SOTW--this has turned DD into a history and archeology lover. I was glad to see that Sonlight uses it for older children, as I felt kind of funny doing that before.

(I hoped that All American History would be comparable for American history, but it's not. So, SWB, if you are hurting for things to do (ha!), we would love, love, love an American history version of SOTW.)

Vocubulary Vine for those who do not study Latin. Inexpensive, easy, and effective. There is also a science roots version which looks good, although I have not used it yet.

Real Science 4 Kids Chemistry, levels 1 and 2, and Physic, level 1. The chemistry curriculum is the one that I would have had to write if they hadn't come out with it. It is truly outstanding. And, Tiner's book "Exploring the World of Chemistry" extends RS4K Chem 1 into a longer and more broad chemistry course.

I keep hearing about Prentice Hall Science Explorer for middle school science. Ria loved it, which carries a lot of weight with me. I have not seen it yet, though. But it has really caught on here.

Phonetic Zoo has been the best possible spelling program for my audio learner DD. It is pricey, but it has really saved spelling for us.

Snap Circuits and the available study guides have been great for 5th grade or so electronics.

I still do like Writing Strands. I like it better than IEW. I just do. (Maybe a little defensive on that one.) If you want to recommend an approach to writing that brings out creative, engaging writing, Writer's Jungle is the best I have seen for that. Having said that, I don't follow it exclusively, and it is not really a curriculum but rather more like an inspiring handbook to teach parents how to teach their children to write well. Still, one of my main goals for homeschooling my DD was to nurture and maintain her writing 'voice', and WJ is the best resource that I have been able to find to support me in doing that.

Quartermile Math has been extremely helpful in solidifying math facts and basic function review. It's a great adjunct to another math program. Also, I like the DIVE CD's along with Saxon Math.

There are two additional comments that I would make about TWTM. It might be wise to mention that people should read it every couple of years. I have sometimes been startled when going back to it that it actually has the answers to things about which I had been agonizing. Just because someone has read it doesn't mean they have memorized it, and I think looking at it again every 2 years or so would be a good thing to suggest.

The other is that I found it really hard to read "Remember, reading is easy." in TWTM. I had a child who was not an early reader (not a late one, either, actually), and this was something that concerned me. Now, I know what you meant, and I know that I was sensitive about this subject to start with; but I think that it might be good to consider clarifying how you mean that in the next edition just a bit.

WTM and OPGTTR are the two most valuable books in my entire library of curricula. WTM defines and guides most of what we do with my 6yo, and OPGTTR is working wonderfully with my 3 yo who is currently working through the silent E chapters. Thank you both so much for writing these wonderful books.

My children and I also love Singapore math, RS4K, SOTW, FLL, and anything from the Critical Thinking Press. (Well i can't really say he "loves" math but it is working well for him)

Our super finds this year have been Writing Tales ( www.writing-tales.com ) and Prima Latina for Latin . My girls have really enjoyed this program alot this year . Even though I've been looking at others because I shouldn't . I think we're going to stick with this as long as it works .

My hopeful keepers :

Latin Centered Curriculum

and Christian Light Math .

I'm hoping that these two will work well for my family .

I haven't found a science or history that have been a keeper for us yet . So I'm interested to see what others here are using .

Actually, I've come full circle back to WTM after digressing for a time with SL and TOG. I had that "Eureka!" moment a few weeks before seeing you at the LEAH Convention in Long Island, and hearing your lectures confirmed it for me.

Anyway, here are a couple of things that have definitely been "winners":

Prentice Hall Science Explorer Series - LOVE it! Science has *always* been a struggle around here. We just weren't able to do it on a regular basis. PH has been a revolutionary series for us, since science is now done around here - CONSISTENTLY. That says ALOT about the program.

Megawords Spelling - great program! Straightforward, easy to implement, and I am really seeing improvement in my dd's spelling since she began the program.

I'd also recommend rethinking how WTM presents Singapore Primary Math. IMHO, to get the full benefit of the program, it is necessary to use the Challenging Word Problems books.

I have to disagree that they are necessary. However, I do agree that they can be beneficial. For many kids, it can be seen as just more work and can overwhelm them. While it may look like Singapore doesn't do many problems, they do alot with the problems that they are given. What I have loved about Singapore is that my kids LOVE math. Their standardized test scores show excellent achievement.

Another vote for Singapore's Challenging Word Problems.

Also, Singapore's Intensive Practice workbooks.

I use these as supplements to MCP math, which I also highly recommend.

HWT;ETC--my ds can read and print (beautifully) bec. of these 2 programs.

Sculpey (a lot of it) for art

OPGTR--but I have a suggestion. My ds is often confused when a capital "I" begins a sentence because the font is a sans-serif font and it looks like an "l". I'm working to help him understand that the first letter in a sentence must be a capital but it would help if the reading sentences were set in a serif font. (JHMO)

AAS--just bought this but I'm thinking it will be a great tool for us.

Singapore Math

Teaching Textbooks for Alg and above

R&S English (for grammar)

Understanding the Times--for a clear Biblical worldview (upper high school)

ABeka for lower math

Teaching Textbooks for upper math

Life of Fred for all math levels

Jump-In writing

Worldly Wise

The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Van Loon

Calvert's Children's History of the World

Hake Grammar and Growing With Grammar

UnitedStreaming by Discovery

Prentice Hall Science Explorers

Homeschool in the Woods Colonial Study

Hands of a Child Lapbooks & KnowledgeBox Lapbooks

So conference season has begun again, which means I'm wandering around vendor booths after I speak, trying to figure out if there's anything new around that's worth recommending. I have to say that I haven't yet seen new stuff which makes me want to change my recommendations.

So I'm wondering. What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? I'm not looking for brand new programs here--I'm wondering which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

First I want to mention that as finances allow, I like to buy "ahead" in the WTM recs, and I bought a pile of new books recently for logic and even rhetoric stage, and I continue to be very happy with using the WTM recs and resources!!

Math: Rod and Staff books 2 to 8 (no experience with book 1 - we were still floundering with math at that point). The TM holds my hand and tells me exactly what to do, in plain language, to teach math thoroughly to my kids. I've often wondered why it wasn't recommended in WTM.

Reading/Spelling: Writing Road to Reading. My Mom taught me how to use this long before I read WTM. It works for all ages. I ONLY use it for "how to read" and spelling - not the writing and literature parts - your way is MUCH easier, IMNSHO! :)

Foreign Language: Language Logic: Practical and Effective Techniques to Learn Any Foreign Language. by Robyn Matthew. I just found this book in the library a few weeks ago, when searching for books that would help me understand and get a bigger picture of what foreign language learning is all about. So, it could be a parent resource to recommend, or something for the high schooler to read. This book is to my understanding of learning a foreign language, as the WTM is to my understanding of giving a classical homeschooling education. I just finished reading it yesterday, and though it can get repetitive at times, it was the thing that gave me a clear picture of learning a language. It's meant for adults, but there were concepts in there that I can apply to helping my kids learn a foreign language. You could even use the basic info. in there to expand a bit on the logic and rhetoric stage foreign language chapters of WTM. Here is a link to the post I made about it:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=271229&highlight=language+logic#post271229

Music appreciation: Classical Masterpieces of the Millenium, a set of 20 CDs. Each CD features a composer and his most popular works, and each CD is about an hour long. Also, there is a short biography, along with birth and death dates, for each CD composer. Put out by Delta Entertainment, and I found it on amazon.com.

Handicrafts: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Crafts with Kids by Georgene Lockwood. Alright, I know there is no handicrafts section in WTM (the closest I can find is "resources for practical skills" on pages 620-621), but I'll throw this out there anyway. The whole idea in WTM of learning something systematically, from a bigger picture, prompted me to write this post the other day about this book:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34751&highlight=handicrafts+idiot%27s+guide

hth!

One of my fave things is "No Fear Shakespeare". I've used it in high school book clubs, and with my 9 year old dd, who adores Shakespeare, to get into the language, and, usually, by the end of one play, they are accustomed to the language and can read Shakespeare without a problem. I think it is a wonderful tool.

Kiran

http://www.progressivephonics.com

Progressive Phonics got my daughter reading when nothing else seemed to be working. She really wanted to learn but nothing else seemed to click for her. We tried OPG, BOB Books, and ETC. But this $20 program ($10 for educators including homeschoolers) has done the trick. We downloaded all the readers and supplemental materials and then just print off what we needed as we went along. It's so easy to use and follows in a sequential order just like OPG.

In the last few years, I've loved Minimus and Minimus Secundus for a fun intro to Latin or a great supplement to other programs. I will be using Espanol Para Chicos y Grandes next year and like the look of it for an elementary study. I also do not yet own, but love and will probably own soon the language books entitled something like Latin for Children, Spanish for Children, Greek for Children. I looked and looked at them at convention and really like the look of them, how they integrate grammar and vocab, etc.

I loved FLL with my younger son, but the other books weren't out yet. Maybe they fill in and replace PLL and ILL, but not having them, we used PLL and ILL as a continuation and really loved those. They would make a great supplement/reference book, too, for ideas to use for picture and poetry studies, copywork and dictation, etc.

I continue to like McGraw Hill's Complete Books of Science to provide worksheets to help supplement science studies with living books. They can be used over multi-years. Their map skills and geography workbook is also good and provides multi-year usage (U.S., not really world; and more map skills than geography study).

Memoria Press Christian Studies, 3 year program (can be used at different ages than they suggest) is great for a non-denominational Bible study program.

I continue to like McGraw Hill's Spectrum series writing programs for younger kids who might be reluctant writers, as well. They are a lot more inexpensive than many of the other programs out there. They could also be used to help remediate older, reluctant writers.

Wish I could make the Atlanta convention this year. I think it's going to be super-awesome for variety of curriculum!

We love Christian Light Language Arts. It is like Rod and Staff in a workbook, with review, quizzes and tests built in. There is a daily lesson written directly to the student, systematic daily review and YES, it teaches diagramming. I like how it streamlines grammar, handwriting, spelling, punctuation, and research skills. It is extremely easy to teach, especially for a new homeschooler or mother of many.

I think many on the board have a high opinion of Christian Light Education Language Arts. The Math is great too!

For my older son:

Sequential Spelling: We've used this for three years now and will use it until we are done or he is schooling somewhere else. It is fairly painless and it is effective. Well, as effective as anything is likely to be...

Hake Grammar: We used just the grammar portion for this for the past two years. My son needs major repetition to get things in long term memory and this fit the bill. He used level 6 in 5th grade and level 8 in 6th grade.

Jacobs Algebra: He is a young algebra student and this is inspiring, logical, and easy to understand.

Getting Started With Latin: This was amazing. After we had been through half the book, my dyslexic, language impared son actually started doing the whole thing on his own! He has never done *anything* on his own!

For my younger son:

K12 science: I found this for my K-er after trying several things and it was absolutely wonderful. Expensive, but wonderful. Just the right balance between reading and hands on activities. I know it doesn't follow the one subject per year thing but it was really easy to implement at home, was fairly rigorous, and my son loved it. I have only used Science 1.

Your question seems to be more along the lines of which curriculum or subject resources we have found to help us learn. I can't say, "Wow, you should check out Curriculum X, because it does this or that." But...

What I have discovered this past year is that my students learn anything set to music. You name it -- the books of the Bible, the 50 States, the Ten Commandments, the Days of Creation, animals, bugs, body parts, parts of speech, poems, Spanish words, French words, hymns -- it all gets in those little heads, song after song after song.

I think that many (most?) homeschool guides do not incorporate music or draw on its power for learning -- except as a subject to study, or as a recommendation to take piano lessons! ;) But I am talking about making music the method, not only the subject, of study. In other words, if there was a quality resource out there that would teach (at least the grammar stage) through the medium of music, that would be for us! HTH.

So I'm wondering. What do you think has been your single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years? The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? I'm not looking for brand new programs here--I'm wondering which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

We're on book 3 now, and it's still the perfect solution for a rigorous but fun Latin programme.

Laura

Since you specifically said greatest discoveries of the past 4-5 years, here's my list:

Headsprout - got my dyslexic dd over a hump that no other program had any effect on

Phonics for Reading from Curriculum Associates - taught my dyslexic dd to sound out multisyllable words

Megawords - fabulous program that works on reading, spelling, and vocabulary all at the same time. Works great for my advanced reading Aspie who needs vocabulary work and for my dyslexic dd who needs reading and spelling work but has an extremely advanced vocabulary.

Prentice Hall Science Explorer - my science-lover begged me to switch from Usborne, DK, and How ____ Works type books to this textbook series when she found some of the books at Half-Price

Kinetic Books Algebra - brand-new program that I now prefer over Jacobs, although I still like Jacobs

US History-based Writing Lessons from IEW - wonderful program that my oldest is almost done with

single greatest curricula/book/program discovery in the past four or five years... The one that made you think: Thank goodness, I've finally solved THAT problem? ...which new OR classic curricula have given you Eureka moments.

SWB

Starting Points from Cornerstone Curriculum

Rod & Staff English

...and I'm hoping that Windows to the World will be just what my dd (rising 8th grader) needs for literature and that Galore Park Latin Prep will be just what she needs for Latin.

that has given me the courage to keep HS/ing through the tough times. As far as curriculum we have found:

Galore Park Latin (both Latin Prep & SYRWTL Latin) --- Galore Park books approach the teaching of Latin in managable pieces, without going too slow & boring the student.

Lively Latin --- a great blend of Latin, English Grammar, & Roman History.

Sequential Spelling & Sequential Spelling for Adults ---the only spelling program that has worked with my spelling-challenged dc & it takes less than 15 minutes a day!

Apologia Science (General Science & above, with the audio CDs) ---Real science that can be taught at home without a science degree & full lab.

Math-U-See --- My dc finally understand the "whys" of math.

FLL 1/2 & FLL3 --- my ds#2 has learned more with these 2 books than my dd did in 6 years at PS here in NZ.

SOTW 1-4 & AG & CDs --- my dc LOVE history & SOTW played a big part in that by putting the "story" back into history.

Most useful was the confidence I gained from reading this board to "do school" my way, to meet the needs of my family. WTM has been our roadmap from the beginning, but we have chosen different "vehicles" (curriculum) to get us where we need to go.

JMHO,

From an afterschooler:

Singapore Math: Has proven to be successful with all 3 of my afterschooled kids (one homeschooled). The way the books are set up, I can (either during summer or the school year) easily work on topics I felt the dc didn't get as firm of a grasp as they needed to during the school year. As a result, they all do wonderfully in math (winning awards at school) and do great on standardized testing. It is inexpensive and easy to implement.

SOTW : We enjoy reading history when the kids get home from school. We also coordinate reading aloud and readers when possible to correspond to the history. We all love history as a result.

Simple nature walks. DH has given the kids the task of identifying and photographing all of the plant life on our (large) acreage. The younger dc are making notebooks and the oldest dc is doing a computer file. This is one of our favorite activities.

Shay

3 great kids in ps; 1 dc homeschooled

1. Writing Whizardry, 60 Mini-lessons to Teach Elaboration & Writer's Craft

(Quick easy lessons with obvious examples of mediocre writing vs. great writing. These lessons just clicked for my son. We do several lessons each year. This is for grades 3-8.)

2. A HISTORY of US (with the elementary study guides)

(Engaging, and the guides make sure you get the main themes, concepts ,and conflicts)

3. Singapore Math (with the Challenging Word Problems)

(Math finally makes sense to my (formerly mathematically challenged) child.)

4. Vocabulary Vine

(Latin & Greek roots with examples of useful words made up of those roots, as opposed to obscure words.)

5. Real Science 4Kids- Chemistry Level 1

(Makes advanced concepts easy. Colorful book is alluring, not distracting.)

Honorable Mention:

Write! (by Curriculum Associates)

Classical Writing--Huge raves here. I really think it's worth considering mentioning in future WTM editions, perhaps with a caveat that beginners or people who don't feel confident with language might find it intimidating. But I think that now they have the workbooks and instructor's guides, most people could follow it. I think it's GREAT. I like it much better than WS (sorry). The amount of creative writing in WS seems to clash with your recommendations and does not work for our family. I have tried to use WS several times and given up. I will probably dip back in later with some things from their Expository Writing volume, but other than that, I just can't stomach WS anymore. I really think that CW fits with your philosophies very well. Even though the progym is started younger than you might be used to, it's done in a very gentle way that is consistent with your recommendations.

Real Science 4 Kids--we really like this program, but it's pricey. Also, you do have to supplement. But the material is first-rate. We usually have so much science stuff stacked up anyway that we can easily fill in with other things.

I also liked the science lady at WHO--Aurora Lipper from http://www.superchargedscience.com. Behind her kits and her hoopla is a scientist crazy about her field--the best kind of teacher, IMHO. The difference is that her kits come with videos where she shares her enthusiasm and are designed for the student to do independently.

It solved our science dilemma perfectly about 3 years ago when we used it. It was exactly the bridge we needed from children's science to high school science. It made science doable, consistent and *almost* painless for me! And I did the lesson every day with the kids so I didn't just bow out and hand it to them.

The lab kit is worth every penny (lots of pennies for it!). The lessons are concise and still deep enough for 7th/8th grade.

The second one was Story of the World and the AGs. History ready-to-go!

When I read the WTM about 4-5 years ago, I felt like someone finally was explaining what I was looking for all these years. Thank you!

Lisaj, mom to 5

I wish there could be a chapter on classical ed for LD/special learners in the next edition. Even if all it did was point out that some kids just are not going to be able to do WTM as written. It can be very discouraging for those of us with kids who really struggle to learn even the basics.

:iagree:

I used to feel very guilty that my son with Asperger's could not handle the rigorous load that a typical classical homeschooler undertakes. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've realized that there is no one formula that works for every child, and that lowering my expectations is not a sign of failure; it's accepting reality and setting him up for success, just with a different paradigm.

:iagree:

I used to feel very guilty that my son with Asperger's could not handle the rigorous load that a typical classical homeschooler undertakes. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've realized that there is no one formula that works for every child, and that lowering my expectations is not a sign of failure; it's accepting reality and setting him up for success, just with a different paradigm.

I agree also!!!

I'm homeschooling two children on the autism spectrum and I would love to see a chapter added to the next edition of TWTM on classically educating special needs children!

I agree also!!!

I'm homeschooling two children on the autism spectrum and I would love to see a chapter added to the next edition of TWTM on classically educating special needs children!

Yes, this might be beneficial as I had many of the same feelings of failure in trying to fit my Asperger son into the classical model this past year. I not only failed miserable but also pushed him further away from ever wanting to learn anything. I had to give him a very long break this year from anything school related. Next year, I'm prepared to go much slower and move at his pace, not mine, KWIM? So, yes, I think a special needs section would be very beneficial...like you have oodles of time to devote to that, right!:D

You know, I follow your recs pretty closely. Thanks for that! I loved Growing with Grammar for my son this year and will be using it for 5th also.

The thing I found at our conference this year that I am very excited about isHandle on the Arts.

It coordinates art, art appreciation, music, music appreciation, drama and architecture. It's designed to be done for about 20 minutes per day in 5-10 minute increments - fun little activities you can break up the day with.

There is a chronological program and a more general "hit the highlights" kind of program. I picked up the four week program after our conference and if we like it, I'll probably use one of the 16 week programs.

For me it is a great thing, because we are a bluegrass loving family. Our background noise is a banjo or mandolin around here, so classical music and art often get short shrift. I'm hoping this will help me be better about covering these topics.

Deconstructing Penguins ISBN-10: 0812970284

Windows to the World - IEW - I haven't found another text that teaches annotation with an eye toward the literary analysis essay. All of the elements that I wanted were there - pick up n go.

Honey for a Teen's Heart This has been a terrific tool for adding to my kids' free-reading pile. This might be tough to recommend to hsers though. She does describe each book with a short blurb, but not all titles would be "safe" for all homeschoolers. I think my definition of "safe" is a bit different than some. So like all things, mileage may vary.

iTunes U - OH MY! You could get lost, lost, lost in all of the wonderful courses - especially the stuff from MIT. And the free audiobooks are SO nice too! Once again - I'm teaching my older kids how to navigate their choices. Anything internet can be tough to recommend.

Podcasts:

There is a TON of junk in this world too, but I've found some gems here. A few that we have enjoyed - also all for free:

- Lots of NPR Stuff. I thought I would mention this one specifically- NPR: Intelligence Squared - Oxford Style Debate

- National Geographic Podcasts - we've enjoyed many of these videos

- Consider some of their terrific foreign language offerings.

http://www.hippocampus.org/ - Terrific way to beef up a textbook study - for free!

The Teaching Company - What can I say? Although sometimes it takes us FOREVER to get through a lecture: lots of "pausing" to discuss; to pop up to grab a book, atlas, or timeline and read an excerpt; to do a google image or map search; or to read a Britannica, World Book, or Wikipedia article. Though I NEVER come away from those lengthy sessions feeling like we could have spent our time better elsewhere. Time spent with those individuals forces the four of us to stand in larger and larger rooms. We all enjoy what they have to offer - even my 11 year-old.

Tapestry of Grace - another what can I say. The model is read-think-write, the program respects the developing skills/stages of the student (grammar stage, logic stage, rhetoric stage), and without getting in the way, it offers the parent so much help and guidance toward teaching with the Socratic-dialogue method.

This plan has handled so much of the administration of our homeschooling - and it has allowed us to move/spiral through so many skills while still progressing forward with the history cycle. Lots to do and lots of ways to do it; no one gets bored - even me!

The biggest benefit for me has been the way it has pushed me forward to discover some fantastic resources for my own self-education. Rather than tunneling into hs publishers, my shelves are beginning to fill with the university press offerings and others (Pulitzer Prize winners, etc). My kids and I will continue to study with so many terrific materials this year - not only TOG recommended stuff, but titles that I have unearthed on my own - as a result of heading in this direction. I want my high-schoolers to become adult, life-long readers and learners; I'm trying to take it to the next level with my oldest.

I'm sure that there's more. While I know that you have mentioned some of these in your old WTM, I threw them out there anyway. Have fun updating the book!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

OH - P.S. Almost forgot - A gal named Susan Wise Bauer has written a TERRIFIC spine for Ancient History. I'd consider adding it to your offerings for high-schoolers. We've enjoyed it. :D

Chalkdust Math - I do not feel the need to look at math curricula ever again.

IEW - a great program for boys.

R&S English

Lyrical Life Science - great supplement for musical kids

Themes to Remember - Classical Magic (3 books in series)

A Child's Story of Art - 3 book series on painting, sculpture, and architecture - these little gems have been the ONLY way any art appreciation has gotten done around here. These are from Calvert by Hillyer (sp?)

On my wish list are two things that I cannot settle on; but fortunately, I have a few more years to find them:

--something for literary analysis

--something for science

I just have NOT found the "right" programs to accomplish these subjects in the way I would like.