Menu

Did the u/s tech give away the sex of our baby?

Did the u/s tech give away baby's gender?  

1. 1. Did the u/s tech give away baby's gender?

• She sure did. Definitely boy.
    • Probably. I'm thinking blue.
    • No, her comments mean nothing!
    • Other.

We decided not to find out the gender of the baby this time around. I've gotten some interesting responses from people when they ask what it is. Some people act like maybe we don't care enough about the baby to find out the gender.

Anyways, at our third trimester u/s, the tech made lots of comments like "oh, don't look... it will be really obvious what it is if you see the pictures". I really feel like she gave away that it was a boy. I mean, wouldn't it be way more obvious if it was a boy?

I'm kinda irritated, but I dug out baby clothes today to see what all I'd saved and to organize them. I'm thinking about washing the boy stuff and having it ready to go. Because, I really think now that it is a boy from what she said. Am I making too much of her comments? What do you think?

She might have just been going over the area in question. For an U/S tech both girls and boys are probably fairly easy to figure out since they see lots. I would just let it go and assume nothing. Besides I have hear of people who where told definitely boy or definitely girl and it wasn't.

We didn't find out before hand, but once during an U/S I thought I saw the typical girl parts and sure enough. Girl.

Well a picture with no visible boy parts would make it obvious what the baby is as well. ;)

I vote you're probably reading too much into it. Those techs are typically really well trained not to let things slip. :)

I don't know... she acted like no one had ever not found out before!

Well a picture with no visible boy parts would make it obvious what the baby is as well. ;)

I vote you're probably reading too much into it. Those techs are typically really well trained not to let things slip. :)

:iagree: At one of my ultrasounds, the tech knew we did not want to know. One time she referred to our baby as "she." I was concerned that she let it slip, but she didn't. She knew the gender...and we had a boy!;)

Haha, I'm the only person who said Absolutely. And it's true. We were debating finding out with our first one. At first we said no we wouldn't, but as the time got closer we thought we have to know, we just HAVE to know.

So we said we'd be okay to be told & the guy started his u/s & says, "Would you like to know the sex of your boy?" My dh rolled with laughter & couldn't tell the story for years without tears flying down his face out of laughter.

I think, he found it funny because the poor u/s tech was mortified at what they'd done. He started sweating and saying, "Man, I'm so sorry, you did want to know yes?"

Funnier yet, I didn't HEAR what the guy said because dh started laughing instantly. My mother did, my husband did, but I didn't. I was just watching my baby on the screen doing all sorts of naughty things {sucking his thumb, flipping around, kicking, etc}

To this day we use that line when it comes to our eldest child. It's in his babybook, his scrapbook, and probably will be etched in his mind well before he's dating. :lol:

I don't know whether she slipped or not, but your making assumptions. I don't think boy-parts are easier to see than girl-parts. U/S techs are trained to locate very minuscule and specific areas within each baby, and I think that most u/s tech's that know their job are able to spot a boy or girl just as easily as the other. Aaaand of course, there's always human error to account for. I wouldn't think too much into it, or get upset about it. :grouphug:

I sort of became bff's with my u/s tech (and all the Dr's, and the nurses) during the pregnancy with my dd so I am kinda protective of her/them! Part of me wants to get PG again so I can go hang out with my friends at the MFM office... :lol:

Was that your last u/s?

I would just let it go and assume nothing. Besides I have hear of people who where told definitely boy or definitely girl and it wasn't .

:iagree:

Our ultrasounds were wrong 2 out of 3 times. The funny thing is that every one of them was supposed to be a boy. I guess they were seeing the cord or something.

We decided to keep this one surprise (since we don't have a lot of faith in them anyway). We didn't even get an ultrasound this time around.

I don't think the comment guarantees anything, but I think the odds are good that it's a boy.

I don't care what training you have, routine is routine.

We had genetic tests done with #5, and I had reluctantly checked the box that said we'd like to know the sex.

I was too scared to answer the phone when the results came in. The message was fast. After saying all results were negative (yay!) the woman rapidly spat out "You indicated you'd like to know the sex. If you've changed your mind, hang up now, it's a boy." No pause, no nothing.

Even if I hadn't been busy sobbing with relief, there's no way I could have hung up in time!

Don't read anything into it. I did not find out for any of mine, and when I was pregnant with d/d, after all boys, the tech made me certain she was a boy.

Comments were very similar to yours--"Don't look too carefully at the pictures or you will definitely be able to tell", etc. I didn't buy a single pink thing, took out all my blue baby clothes, and was at the mall the day after we came home stocking up on bows!

Wishing you a healthy, beautiful surprise!

I guess I'm just wondering why parents would not want to know the sex of the baby. Knowing ahead of time makes it a lot easier when it comes to decorating the nursery and buying baby clothes and paraphernalia.

I never want to know ahead of time; I strongly prefer to wait and find out at the birth. All of our midwives have let us see for ourselves, which is fun. I feel very strongly about nobody calling the baby by name until he/she is actually born and officially named by DH and me. I have a set of neutral newborn-sized sleepers that all of my babies have worn, and I like that. Pink and blue appear quickly enough. :)

I will admit that it's been hard when it comes to names, though. The first two were easy; the third one, we maybe had a girl name but no boy name, and it took five days to find one for him. So we did a bit better for the fourth one and had a tentative name in mind.

I guess I'm just wondering why parents would not want to know the sex of the baby. Knowing ahead of time makes it a lot easier when it comes to decorating the nursery and buying baby clothes and paraphernalia.

I just love the surprise. After all the work of the pregnacy and labor, it's great fun to have that surprise at the end. We never found out from the u/s tech. After a while, my dh has become really good at reading the tape himself, so with all the little boys in a row, he usually knew but I never looked at that part of the tape because I really like the surprise.

With our youngest, my dh really wanted to know but I didn't so he was going to just watch the video and figure it for himself like he always does. The u/s tech didn't realize until the end of the u/s that she forgot to turn on the tape. She was mortified but I was happy :) Dh and I finally got to be surprised again together.

We decided not to find out the gender of the baby this time around. I've gotten some interesting responses from people when they ask what it is. Some people act like maybe we don't care enough about the baby to find out the gender.

Anyways, at our third trimester u/s, the tech made lots of comments like "oh, don't look... it will be really obvious what it is if you see the pictures". I really feel like she gave away that it was a boy. I mean, wouldn't it be way more obvious if it was a boy?

I'm kinda irritated, but I dug out baby clothes today to see what all I'd saved and to organize them. I'm thinking about washing the boy stuff and having it ready to go. Because, I really think now that it is a boy from what she said. Am I making too much of her comments? What do you think?

Don't assume! I'm 38 weeks pregnant with a girl and at each ultrasound they show me "two lines" that are clearly...um...girly parts. Really, I'm amazed at how technology has advanced.

Well, the tech may have slipped or she may not have - but stuff like that is why we didn't have an u/s with our second. We really, really wanted it to stay a surprise all the way up until he was born (with DS1 my OB let it "slip" the day I was induced). I wouldn't read too much into it.

We didn't find out with either of ours. My DH has no desire to know before hand (he likes the surprise - I think because the surprise is something we experience together rather the whole pregnancy/birth kind of being my thing). I have no desire to know because I don't care one way or the other and I have known too many people who have. Now, mind you, I'm not bashing on those that are upset for a little bit if they find out that they're having the "less preferred" gender (whatever that might be). I did have several friends growing up who suffered a lot of neglect and/or mental and emotional abuse because their parents (or usually just their mom) could never forgive them for being the wrong gender.

As for buying stuff, we know we want a larger family so bigger items (car seat, stroller etc) were bought in neutral colors. As far as clothes we started out with a lot of white and neutral onesies, a few neutral blankets, and then a few outfits for each gender. Then we just bought more gender specific things after the baby was born. DH and various other family members really appreciated the opportunity to go out and pick out things for the new baby *after* he had arrived versus having everything up front. It was something fun that they could all do together to celebrate the new baby.

I agree that a girl can be just as obvious. Both of my bio-kids were Very obvious. Yes there are mistakes, but sometimes the baby is positioned in a way that it shows the actual details of the area, not just a general shape.

She didn't give anything away, infact she was being kind in warning you that just a glance could give it away.

I was hospitalized a few times in the third trimester with both of my middle dc. Both times involved u/s, and both times, when the transducer was placed just right, it was obvious. They were a girl and a boy... we weren't finding out with ds, but my gut was telling me boy anyway. The hardest part was knowing, but not telling, especially when I was in labor and dh still wouldn't settle on a boy name, and when the doctor (who hadn't seen the u/s) called him by the girl name we HAD settled on when he delivered the head.

For us, we don't care if we know because there is no nursery to decorate, and almost no baby stuff to buy. Other than a carseat, we don't use any other types of contraptions (bouncers, playmats, etc). Clothing is pretty easy until 6 months of so, so we keep it pretty gender neutral.

I don't know. I voted that your probably making too much of it. But...

I had an u/s with my last DS and the tech said things like "don't look right now" and turning the screen away, and kept slipping with "he" comments, but then said "oh, that doesn't mean anything, we just always say he in regards to the babies, makes it easier."

Anyway, he indeed came out a boy. I kind of suspected, but those comments were a little more obvious than what your tech said.

I think it meant just what the tech said..it was a very clear view so look away. Girls can be just as obvious as boys you know. FWIW, I had to have a u/s moments before my first ds was born (he was premature) and gender wasn't obvious due to how the baby was positioned. Neither myself or my dh or the midwife could tell the gender. Granted, in that moment it wasn't the topic of conversation because the OB was looking for illness and the size of the femur (to date the baby) etc, but later we all admitted to taking a good gander. I mean, it was right there in front of us!

As to not knowing the gender ahead of time, we didn't want to know. We feel like it is the one true mystery of the entire process. It made the arrival of the baby so exciting! People called to find out the gender and the name. It was a lot of fun. It never feels like to me when it has been 'oh, little Jane is here.' Of course there is always excitement when a baby is born, but there is no surprise if the gender and name is known.

We also didn't like how people bond in a gender-based way with a baby when they know the sex. They create personality assumptions like 'oh, I can really tell it is a boy and he's going to be a soccer player' or 'this girl is going to be dancer!' Well, what if you have a girl who likes to play soccer or a boy who wants to be a dancer?

I am not one to gender type my children by their clothes or colours so there was no pressure to buy the 'right' clothes. I am fine with a boy in pink and a girl in blue or either in green or yellow or purple.

Once the baby is born all of that comes down in buckets. But it was nice to have a brief reprieve.

With my first extended family dynamics made it better not to know until she was born. With my second those that made the issue of gender difficult weren't around and we didn't speak to them about it, but with the third I found myself wishing I hadn't let my OB tell us.

ETA: With younger DD and DS the gender was quite obvious. Both seemed to want to make sure we knew and had their bits right out in front for everyone to see. Lol

Edited by akmommy

I agree that a girl can be just as obvious. Both of my bio-kids were Very obvious. Yes there are mistakes, but sometimes the baby is positioned in a way that it shows the actual details of the area, not just a general shape.

She didn't give anything away, infact she was being kind in warning you that just a glance could give it away.

I agree with this. Her wording sounds to me as if the way the baby was positioned made it obvious as to what it was.

Maybe your sweetie was being a little exhibitionist and the tech was warning you that one look would tell you all you needed to know.

I think you may be reading too much into this.