Menu

Okay, I do tell my kids to "beehive" (if you haven't watched Nanny McPhee, you won't get it.)

And my ds did coin the word "chuggle" when he was two, and we still use it. It is the best kind of cuddling!

Did hear someone say "enormic" today though.

My ds used to say nuggle for snuggle. I loved that and I haven't thought of it in years. Thanks for the reminder.:)

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last but not least, "gift" is a noun. It is not a verb. You do not sound sophisticated or intelligent saying you "gifted" something to someone. You sound like you're trying to be superior by using "gift" instead of "gave" or "give."

I feel better now!

Well if we're going to go there.....I know I've said this before on these boards, but really....My bad? I always want to say (and have said it ds when he started using this expression) Your bad what? Sadly, I hear it in my own head wanting to come out. Oooh.....my bad. :tongue_smilie:

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/2900775809.html

red guilding - $600 (Switzerland county)

He is 2 years old broke to ride and us regesteried with paers and he is a therobred horse he does not have any skin problems its just mud in the pix xause he is out in the mud alot text --- --- ----

It looks like a second guilding is also available.

Oh my. :blink:

You (plural) sounds awful in every dialect. You guys? Y'all? Yous? Yinz? Yinz is the worst. I've lived here for almost 4 years. It doesn't sound any better now than it did the first time.

Oh my, our friends are from PA!

The other one that drives me bonkers is their use of "mine".

That's myan. Give it back.

But, they are such dear friends, I just bite my tongue.

Strangely satisfying and disturbing. Satisfying because I went looking and then actually found something.This post made me want to search Craigslist to see if I could find anything. I checked my area. I didn't feel like going overboard checking tons of posts, but I did check for rod iron. Nothing. Then I checked a different part of the state. There were 20 posts with the phrase rod iron! I am amazed it is that common.

10 Piece Outdoor Rod Iron Furniture Set

SunD, I knew a girl named Unique. She pronounced it "You-KNEE-qwah".

It is cathartic for me to state in this thread that nothing is "cathargic".

I agree with the pp who realized that reading online has caused her to see errors as normal. I have noticed that in myself and it makes me NUTS.

You don't loose weight.

You lose weight.

:lol:

Yes! I see this one all. The. Time! Don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but, you aren't family orientated, you are family oriented.

ETA-Oops! I guess there was a whole conversation on this earlier!

Edited by EmilyinND

Strangely satisfying and disturbing. Satisfying because I went looking and then actually found something.This post made me want to search Craigslist to see if I could find anything. I checked my area. I didn't feel like going overboard checking tons of posts, but I did check for rod iron. Nothing.

I have never seen "rod iron," but I checked my local craigslist.

Yep! We've got two near me and dozens in surrounding areas. Rod iron coffee table, wine rack, bed, you name it....As long as you name him "Rod," I guess.

Sigh.

The worst is one that is titled "Wrought iron" but is described as "rod iron." What happened??

Duck tape and duct tape are both correct. Duck tape is actually more correct. Duck-duct tape was originally made from cotton duck (a woven fabric similar to canvas) and it was waterproof like a duck. There is a brand of duck-duct tape called Duck tape.

The tape used on actual ductwork is like sticky aluminum foil. Using duck-duct tape would not work very well because heat is the main weakness of duck-duct tape.

SunD, I knew a girl named Unique. She pronounced it "You-KNEE-qwah".

It is cathartic for me to state in this thread that nothing is "cathargic".

I agree with the pp who realized that reading online has caused her to see errors as normal. I have noticed that in myself and it makes me NUTS.

It scares me just what might get normalized. Probably will probably become prolly 4ever.

Greater Boston area, I see "burers" (byoo-rers) on sale on Craigslist with "4 draws."

I actually enjoy the accent, but . . . the spelling gets creative sometimes.

My first Sunday in church, our pastor was teaching us about "Prisciller and Aquiller," and then we went to my DH's friends' house for lunch after - you know, "Poller and Leeser" (Paula and Lisa).

:D

It is a common misconception that New Englanders "drop" Rs. We (I am a native Mainer, albeit accent free) do not. Yankee frugality would not allow us to waste them by just dropping them altogether. We simply save them for use in words where there is a glaring dearth of Rs. Like "idear".

Last night I almost wrote that I was a well of knowledge... then I stopped and thought for a second and realized it was an eggcorn and should be a wealth of knowledge!

But you're not an abstract collection of facts. Your brain could contain a wealth of knowledge. You might be a fount (or font, depending on preference since I haven't found anything definitive on that yet) of knowledge.

Well sounds like wealth and duplicates the "water" feeling of fount. I hear "well of knowledge" all the time, and it does make sense as a substitution. I rather like the imagery of having to dip into the well of knowledge yourself, rather than collecting whatever the fount spills out.

But you're not an abstract collection of facts. Your brain could contain a wealth of knowledge. You might be a fount (or font, depending on preference since I haven't found anything definitive on that yet) of knowledge.

Well sounds like wealth and duplicates the "water" feeling of fount. I hear "well of knowledge" all the time, and it does make sense as a substitution. I rather like the imagery of having to dip into the well of knowledge yourself, rather than collecting whatever the fount spills out.

Fount or font of knowledge is a shortening of "fountain of knowledge" from a quote from John Locke. The entire quote is: "Reason is natural revelation, whereby the eternal father of light, and fountain of all knowledge, communicates to mankind that portion of truth which he has laid within the reach of their natural facilities." The word "fountain" is used here to mean "source". So a person who is a fount of knowledge on a subject would have to be the source.

Wealth of knowledge is the use of the word "wealth" to mean "a great amount". So one might have a wealth of bad advice just as easily as a wealth of knowledge.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle

Right, I ended up changing what I was writing to "I have a wealth of knowledge" instead. :001_smile: I agree though, I do like the imagery of a well.

The one that gets to me is PAYED. Ack! It's PAID.

And like a PP mentioned, I'm afraid that I'm absorbing the poor (pour, pore) spelling. :D

:iagree: I've had to stop and think about a couple of these. Especially the suppose/supposed to. (Typing it out it was natural to put the d on the end so maybe I do type it the correct way. I have no idea if I say "suppose to" or "supposed to."

Just started reading this thread this morning. I'm going to have to go back later and finish, it's making me laugh so hard.

So, I just went to my Craigslist to check for something funny. I found a "chest if drawers". The title says "Mid century dresser/chest if drawers". I had to explain to dd why I was laughing so hard.:lol:

Just saw an ad on craigslist for a "Chiuaua doxen." That's a dog. Good thing they had a picture or I might not have been able to figure it out.

You brought back memories of this post:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584&highlight=doxon

I can overlook a craigslist post that has misspellings (although, I admit, it is difficult:D), but the Associated Press? Well, I'm afraid that's demanding too much.

Just saw an ad on craigslist for a "Chiuaua doxen." That's a dog. Good thing they had a picture or I might not have been able to figure it out.

You brought back memories of this post:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39584&highlight=doxon

I can overlook a craigslist post that has misspellings (although, I admit, it is difficult:D), but the Associated Press? Well, I'm afraid that's demanding too much.

:lol: Doxen, I didn't know what that was supposed to be until I read the other thread.

It is a common misconception that New Englanders "drop" Rs. We (I am a native Mainer, albeit accent free) do not. Yankee frugality would not allow us to waste them by just dropping them altogether. We simply save them for use in words where there is a glaring dearth of Rs. Like "idear".

As another native Mainer (Vassalboro, anyone?) thank you for clarifying this.

[And FYI there is a small segment in the beginning of "The ABCs and All Their Tricks" that explains where the extra "r"s came from (and went)--hint: blame the British. Yet, somehow, we manage to spell the words correctly unlike some other regions discussed here!]

What's funny is reading George Orwell's essay (I think it's "Politics and the English Language") and he's complaining about ignorant misspellings -- back in the 1940s. Along the lines of the fuzzy thinking of "rod iron" and "free reign," he complains about "tow the line" instead of "toe the line." Anyway, highly recommended!

Duck tape and duct tape are both correct. Duck tape is actually more correct. Duck-duct tape was originally made from cotton duck (a woven fabric similar to canvas) and it was waterproof like a duck. There is a brand of duck-duct tape called Duck tape.

The tape used on actual ductwork is like sticky aluminum foil. Using duck-duct tape would not work very well because heat is the main weakness of duck-duct tape.

Hmmm....okay, well I guess I'll just have to wince and bear it then, even though the stuff is definitely not made from cotton duck now. I did know about the Duck brand of tape, and that they make duct tape, though they make masking tape and packing tape and so forth, and I suspect referring to all of it as "duck tape" would confuse a lot of people.

I have a new hobby--checking Craigslist for spelling/other errors. As if I needed more to do on the computer. :001_smile:

Can anyone figure out what they are selling here? And for how much?

only dollar 5 for two beautiful table stands with lamp vas and other acsessories everything in this pictues attached for dollar 5

5L25K75J23n53G93Lfc31be553cbc84301977.jpg5L85G45Hc3L53M23Jec31bd5982caaa1e125c.jpg