Menu

Pores are things on your face that can be too bg, and need frequent care by your esthetician. It think it sounds much nicer to metaphorically pour over a book. The other phrase has me thinking your skin oils are leaking out all over libray book pages I'm touching. Squick.

I have to argue in favor of "pore over a book." You have to look at the exact meanings of the words. The verb "pore" means 1. to read or study with steady attention or application, 2. to gaze earnestly or steadily, and 3. to meditate or ponder intently.

The noun "pore" means 1. a minute opening or orifice, as in the skin or a leaf, for perspiration, absorption, etc., and 2. a minute interstice, as in a rock.

Both of the noun definitions refer to something minute (as in something very small, not 1/60 of an hour ;) ), so in relation, the verb brings to mind studying/pondering/scrutinizing small/minute details carefully so as not to miss anything.

Edited by gardening momma
OOPS! spelled it pour instead of pore. 2 times!! I did a poor job of that.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a pedal stool? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1hC0nIagH4

For those who find these kinds of errors interesting, many of the ones mentioned in this thread have been "eggcorns". Here is the eggcorn database: http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/

I could (and probably will) spend a lot of time at the eggcorn website. So far, this is my favorite:

My boss asked me to bring two on-trays to our christmas party, but I honestly don’t know what to put on the trays.

I'm not a women, I'm a woman. But a bunch of women get our hsing kids together once a week at the park.

Now that one bugs me more than most others since I've never seen that mistake made with the words man or men. That is proof to me that it's really not that complicated.

My favorite typo from the high school board is "duel" for dual as "duel enrollment". Teenagers these days!

Though some days it probably actually feels like duel enrollment!

On-trays.... Gasp! That is hilarious!!! I am afraid to go to that eggcorn site.

Mine is - it is St Paddy's Day folks, not St. Patty's Day. Paddy is short for Padraic the Gaelic for Patrick. Patty is short for Patricia.

Paddy is short for Patrick, too. I know a Paddy and there a few songs with Paddy in them, such as Paddy's Sick Note and in Finnegan's Wake: "...hold your gob, said Paddy McGee". :tongue_smilie:

So, yes, St. Patty's Day irks me too.

Edited by LeslieAnneLevine

Since all of my favorites have already been mentioned, the two that have been bothering me recently are "mine as well" and using the word "an" instead of "and." Are we getting so lazy that a 3 letter word has to be abbreviated to only 2 letters??

I couldn't figure out what could be wrong with saying "mine as well."

It's her favorite, but it's mine as well.

So I googled it. I was horrified.

I mine as well go on the trip with you.

I couldn't figure out what could be wrong with saying "mine as well."

It's her favorite, but it's mine as well.

So I googled it. I was horrified.

I mine as well go on the trip with you.

LOL! Sorry! I should have clarified that people say that instead of "might as well." I'm honestly the only person I know who uses "might as well." When I corrected my DH and sister they both looked at me like I was nuts! :lol:

These are great! Here's mine:

Faze is a real word, people!

DS3 is going through a screaming phase, but it doesn't faze me.

Yes! I was beginning to wonder if I was the only person left who knew this! I even see it here from time to time.

Another one that drives me nuts: it's "used to," not "use to."

My little boys like to run around in the back yard buck naked, not butt naked!

(Although, their little butts are nekkid!!):001_smile:

One time years ago my sister and I disagreed about "sleeping in the raw". She insisted it was "sleeping in the rah".

Like folks are cheering that you don't have clothes on in bed :confused:

Edited by dmmosher

The point is moot, never mute. Although if the point really is moot, it is sometimes best to remain mute.

Motherhood is a role, not a roll.

The thing is called a "web site", or a "website". It is not a "websight" or even a "web sight". It means a location on the web, not something you see on the web. No really.

Also, you cannot reign in someone's rain of terror, love does not concur all, and if you can't bare it you might have trouble in the restroom.

And it's DUCT tape. For taping ducts. Leave the poor (not pour or pore) fowl (not foul) alone (not a lone or a loan).

Furthermore, I sometimes wish religious education classes included an explanation of the difference between being "led" and being "lead". I know other people have a problem with this sometimes too, but it seems like I see it more from religious folk.

And could someone please tactfully (not tackfully) let my brother-in-law know that there's no such thing as an onacologist?

WHEW! You're right, that feels good!

Edited by MamaSheep

I have to argue in favor of "pore over a book." You have to look at the exact meanings of the words. The verb "pour" means 1. to read or study with steady attention or application, 2. to gaze earnestly or steadily, and 3. to meditate or ponder intently.

The noun "pore" means 1. a minute opening or orifice, as in the skin or a leaf, for perspiration, absorption, etc., and 2. a minute interstice, as in a rock.

Both of the noun definitions refer to something minute (as in something very small, not 1/60 of an hour ;) ), so in relation, the verb brings to mind studying/pondering/scrutinizing small/minute details carefully so as not to miss anything.

Um...is it possible you meant "the verb pore"? The definition would match better, and it would make more sense with an argument in favor of "pore over a book". Or... :confused: (sorry, I have a bit of a migraine and could be just reading something wrong here.)

Edited by MamaSheep

Very recently, I wrote on my Facebook about how Ellie sneaked off with something. I had a friend comment, "Wow, I can't believe you wrote that. Even I know it should have said snuck! I inspected alot more from you!" :001_huh:

She probably would have thought you drug your rear out of bed this morning, too. ;)

One of my pet peeves is "planning on" instead of "planning to" do something.

And another one is "WestminIster" instead of "Westminster" (no extra syllable).

I'm sure I make plenty of errors, though, so I'd better be quiet now. :tongue_smilie:

I learned a new one from ds7 the other day, which I haven't seen anywhere else (thankfully). He was writing a sentence for a narration and started with the word "wall". I stopped him and pointed out that there was no mention of a wall in the story. He said, "Mom, you know, it's like 'Wall Tom was painting..." We had a quick spelling lesson on the word "while".

Oh, and things cannot be more or very unique. They are either unique (one of a kind) or they aren't. There are no degrees of uniqueness.

how about "yeah" means (informally) YES not "yay" or "hooray"

I see so many posting on fb mostly "yeah" when they are super excited for someone... makes me imagine some one stating YES in a monotone voice...

I write "yeah" to mean yes, and in my head, it has a short vowel sound. I write "yay" to show excitement and it has a long vowel sound. I have a close friend who uses "yeah" in place of "yay" (I think) and "yea" in place of "yeah" when texting. To me, the word "yea" has a long vowel sound and means yes when the Parliment is voting on a new law.

It confuses me every time she uses these words in a text (which is quite often) and I have to stop and decipher the meaning each time. In fact, I CHANGE my texts to her way of spelling those words, just so that she will understand what I am trying to say. Drives me crazy! :willy_nilly:

My other pet peeve: your versus you're

One time years ago my sister and I disagreed about "sleeping in the raw". She insisted it was "sleeping in the rah".

Like folks are cheering that you don't have clothes on in bed :confused:

Oh my goodness, I am laughing so hard that I am practically crying here. Thanks for that. Time for bed.

It isn't a datson, it's a Dachshund.

It isn't a rockwiler, it's a Rottweiler.

It's a credit card, not a credick card. You use it at Wal-Mart, not Wal-mark.

Those shiny things on your dress are sequins, not sequences.

I'm surrounded by id-ee-uts.

Are you tired? Then, you're weary.

If you're suspicious, then you're leery. You might be wary too. Maybe being so leery and wary has made you weary?

You may be afraid and scared but never afeared and ascared.

And please, please, please conjugate the verbs. You feel very blessed; not very bless.

It's a credit card, not a credick card. You use it at Wal-Mart, not Wal-mark.

Those shiny things on your dress are sequins, not sequences.

I'm surrounded by id-ee-uts.

:lol::lol::lol:

Um...is it possible you meant "the verb pore"? The definition would match better, and it would make more sense with an argument in favor of "pore over a book". Or... :confused: (sorry, I have a bit of a migraine and could be just reading something wrong here.)

[smacks forehead] Yes. I made the same spelling error on the noun, but corrected it. I missed that I did it on the verb also. Ugh.

I have edited my Reason for Editing once again! :tongue_smilie:

Oh. Ooooooooooooh.

--Rebekah (who was secretly wondering if a "wahlah" was part of some misspelled esoteric part of sewing machinery)

Something doesn't peak your interest; it piques your interest.

Also, "just bare with me" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Darn. I was hoping we could take turns. :)

I don't think "granite" (as in taking someone/something for "granite") is a victim of auto-correct, I've seen (and heard) it many times, unfortunately.

I don't think anyone here needs to hear this, but I'd like to tell the world: People, please, don't ever nip anything in the butt.

I could (and probably will) spend a lot of time at the eggcorn website. So far, this is my favorite:

My boss asked me to bring two on-trays to our christmas party, but I honestly don’t know what to put on the trays.

Well, try not to let it get your dandruff up.

:smilielol5::smilielol5::smilielol5:

Seriously, dh just asked me to quiet down. Or is it quite down?

how about "yeah" means (informally) YES not "yay" or "hooray"

I see so many posting on fb mostly "yeah" when they are super excited for someone... makes me imagine some one stating YES in a monotone voice...

I write "yeah" to mean yes, and in my head, it has a short vowel sound. I write "yay" to show excitement and it has a long vowel sound. I have a close friend who uses "yeah" in place of "yay" (I think) and "yea" in place of "yeah" when texting. To me, the word "yea" has a long vowel sound and means yes when the Parliment is voting on a new law.

She meant that people are using "yeah" to mean "yay." On Fb the tone doesn't come through. But I know people who say "yeah" to mean "yay" (and I probably do too), but it's said more forcefully, and with excitement, so it means both. "Yeah!" as in "Yes!"

Yes, I've run across a lot of this!

My favorite is a client who, instead of Shih Tzu, wrote down that her dog was a Sh*t Shoe .... which is possibly literally correct!

Edited by Kebo