Menu

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a women, I'm a woman. But a bunch of women get our hsing kids together once a week at the park.

I'm not the grammar police, but these kinds of things are just glaring to me...like nails on a chalkboard. Sadly I had to teach my kids (by example) what saying meant b/c they've never had a teacher use one!

You don't cue up for the check out line at Ikea, you queue up.

Even though "queue" has not been a common word in the U.S. until recently, one would think that people would understand that they aren't going to "cue up." Please.

I'm not being a snob by pointing these things out, persay. I studied Latin and know what per se means ;)

:lol:

The patio bench you are selling on Craigslist is not ROD iron. It is wrought, people!

CL really needs a spelling sticky. :glare:

YES. If for no other reason than to correct the constant mangling of the phrase 'chest of drawers.' It's not a chester drawer. It's not a chest of draws. It's not a chester draws! Don't tell me this is 'living language.' It's just wrong.

FYI: You don't withdrawl your dc from school. Really. Nor do you have withdrawls from your favorite activity or food.

Not even in the Deep South??? :lol::lol::lol:

This thread is making me laugh out loud, which is awkward since I'm having lunch at Panera all by myself. Yeah, people are looking at me. :D

What's with all the unnecessary superlatives these days?

"I couldn't be more proud."

"She is more pretty than the other one."

"He gets the most angry when she points out his poor grammar."

proud, prouder, proudest

pretty, prettier, prettiest

angry, angrier, angriest

And so forth.

I had an English teacher who went on a rant about alot. At about midterm he announced that any papers in the process of being graded would be marked with an F if he came across an alot. He said he wouldn't even finish reading the paper beyond the offensive misspelling.

It only took one assignment for everyone to realize he was totally serious!

I had an English teacher who went on a rant about alot. At about midterm he announced that any papers in the process of being graded would be marked with an F if he came across an alot. He said he wouldn't even finish reading the paper beyond the offensive misspelling.

It only took one assignment for everyone to realize he was totally serious!

I had a similar teacher. First day of class she announced her rules for an automatic F: Alot, use of 'you' instead of 'one' in a paper, three or more misspelled words. I have the same rules with my kids.

This thread is going to be the death of me, my monitor and my cup of tea.

Oh, and it's 'for all intents and purposes' not 'intensive purposes'.

I have a friend who is so, so sweet and kind, but makes ALL of these errors in both speech and writing.

This thread is going to be the death of me, my monitor and my cup of tea.

Irregardless of this fact, you should simply overlook the illogicality of this thread.

(You see, it's not just about misspelled words, or even plainly made-up words, it's also about word choice. ;))

I made the shutter/shudder mistake on the boards once and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit. I know the difference. :001_smile: It was a typo.

It's bizarre what I sometimes type. Sometimes the words that appear on the screen have nothing to do with what I'm trying to say. At least those two words are similar--sometimes they're not.

This thread makes me paranoid. :leaving:

Not sure if this one has been listed yet--

It's safe deposit box--not safety deposit box

Edited by Hilltop Academy

Has anyone else seen/heard this one? I've seen it twice on messages boards...while talking about a neighbor, they say "The girl next store". :lol:

Also, it's not "should of" or "could of" or "would of". It's "should've, could've, would've"...or "should have, could have, would have". Drives.Me. Crazy.

I think we should conversate about this more!~

Irregardless of this fact, you should simply overlook the illogicality of this thread.

(You see, it's not just about misspelled words, or even plainly made-up words, it's also about word choice. ;))

You don't loose weight.

You lose weight.

I like the real estate listings that describe a "ravish" kitchen. I shudder to think what that might mean!

I'm not even sure what that one is supposed to be. :confused:

I saw a car with a back window that said "Petal to the Medal". That message is not as intimidating as the male teen driver wanted it to be!

:lol:

The patio bench you are selling on Craigslist is not ROD iron. It is wrought, people!

I could not believe this: The contractor who did our pool/landscape referred to it in his quote as "rod iron". Installing wrought iron gates is what his company does! :confused:

Your sewing machine doesn't have a paddle.

It's not wahlah.

I saw this in the introductory pages of a language arts curriculum and promptly sent it back for a refund. I just could not get past it. Science, maybe. Math, maybe. I realize not everyone is a wizard with words. But language arts? Really?

It's a dining room, not a dinning room.

Sadly, this also is a common error in real estate listings.

A lot. Two words.

Not one. Two.

Alot is not a word.

Just quit it with alot.

Quit! It!

:tongue_smilie:

Well I feel better...

We truly are kindred spirits, Bethany.:)

I saw this in the introductory pages of a language arts curriculum and promptly sent it back for a refund. I just could not get past it. Science, maybe. Math, maybe. I realize not everyone is a wizard with words. But language arts? Really?

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who pitches curriculum over things like this. I have a friend or two who seem to think that I'm overreacting, but I will NOT use curriculum with glaring grammatical errors, even for science or math.