Menu

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

English isn't my first language, so these things don't seem to bother me as much. I figure if I can communicate it and they can get the gist, life is good ;) :D and vice versa, too.

So here's one that always confuses me:

I can't [?] it any longer.

[?] = bear? bare?

to tolerate; to stand it.

I mostly think "bear" because "bare" gives me the image of shedding clothes ... but who knows. Like I said, this language is tricky to learn (apparently even for natives) so I don't ever feel certain which one is correct.

English isn't my first language, so these things don't seem to bother me as much. I figure if I can communicate it and they can get the gist, life is good ;) :D and vice versa, too.

So here's one that always confuses me:

I can't [?] it any longer.

[?] = bear? bare?

to tolerate; to stand it.

I mostly think "bear" because "bare" gives me the image of shedding clothes ... but who knows. Like I said, this language is tricky to learn (apparently even for natives) so I don't ever feel certain which one is correct.

It's bear .... like bearing a burden :001_smile:

And you don't go acrossed/acrosst a street. It is simply across.

Ds's SPEECH/LANGUAGE therapist said this!

I had a similar teacher. First day of class she announced her rules for an automatic F: Alot, use of 'you' instead of 'one' in a paper, three or more misspelled words. I have the same rules with my kids.

This is a good idea!

Not even in the Deep South??? :lol::lol::lol:

I know...I tried to make some sort of pun regarding being with drawls and without drawls but it made my brain hurt.:lol:

This thread is making me laugh out loud, which is awkward since I'm having lunch at Panera all by myself. Yeah, people are looking at me. :D

:cheers2:

I'm not even sure what that one is supposed to be. :confused:

"Ravish" was supposed to be "lavish."

I saw this in the introductory pages of a language arts curriculum and promptly sent it back for a refund. I just could not get past it. Science, maybe. Math, maybe. I realize not everyone is a wizard with words. But language arts? Really?

Oh, dear.

One I saw recently that left me open-mouthed and speechless was "granite" in place of "granted." I saw it twice in one day, in totally separate venues. PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS AUTOCORRECT'S FAULT.

I regret to inform you that no, it isn't autocorrect's fault. Also, there is no Easter bunny. :lol:

I am not smarter then you are.

I am smarter than you are.

Darn. I was hoping we could take turns. :)

I don't think "granite" (as in taking someone/something for "granite") is a victim of auto-correct, I've seen (and heard) it many times, unfortunately.

I don't think anyone here needs to hear this, but I'd like to tell the world: People, please, don't ever nip anything in the butt.

The patio bench you are selling on Craigslist is not ROD iron. It is wrought, people!

CL really needs a spelling sticky. :glare:

These kinds of mistakes (as well as the aforementioned "granite") are really interesting. It's like getting a peek into someone's mind and can sometimes conjure surreal images. On Jay Leno's headlines I have seen "all rotten potatoes" and "palm Iranians".

Yes, yes, yes to this thread!

How about all the people who "could care less".

Ooooooh, yes. It makes me want to yell, "You DO care! You really care! You like me; you really, really like me!"

Think about what you're saying. Is it that hard? :confused:

Something doesn't peak your interest; it piques your interest.

Also, "just bare with me" doesn't mean what you think it does.

Oh yes, these!!! Agreed.

One of my students (late teens) told me all about a mergency that had happened. Oh no--it's a mergency!!

She and her mother also thought you should use graft paper and that you should be careful around the edge of a clift.

I would, but I'm not entirely sure what a clift is.

I LOVE the ALOT--he does my poor windblown soul good. :)

So true; it's rather rude. In fact, I don't think butts should be *touched* without permission, never mind nipped.

:lol::lol::lol:

Nuke-yu-lerr power. (Not even really sure how to spell that one!)

Libarry

Supposably

Realitor

Upmost

And of course, I dislike double negatives. My in-laws use a LOT of them, and sometimes it makes conversations a little hard to follow!

You don't take a world-wind tour; you take a whirlwind tour. Heard this one today.:tongue_smilie:

Perhaps an off-campus program at meteorology school? :lol:

I just called my ds in the next room to ask if he knew whether "a lot" is one word or two, and he answered, "Two words, of course, unless you're trying to allot something. Then it's one." I guess he passes. Whew!

Two things even the more enlightened crew gets consistently wrong.

1) Optimal is a superlative.

It is bene, melior, optime. Optimal is the equivalent of "the best". Because of that, there is NO SUCH THING as "a more optimal solution", "the most optimal course of action". Optimal is already a superlative.

2) Alternative is ONE.

Alter means "the other of the two". An alternative is the ONE other option you have in a certain situation. If you have multiple options to choose from, those are NOT to be called alternatives, they are to be called... other options? Well, invent something along those lines. There is NO SUCH THING as "another alternative might be", "one of the alternatives proposed", etc. In fact, very strictly speaking, there is no "an alternative" either, only "the alternative", because of that - it should be used only in cases where there is the other option involved.

----

As regards 2), we have pretty much LOST that battle and this particular distinction is no longer observed even by the majority of literate, educated people. I sometimes catch myself doing it too. It has become accepted and only the most stringent people will frown upon it. But still, try to keep it in mind and maybe we can resurrect this distinction, LOL.

As regards 1), that particular distinction did NOT get lost and you WILL leave a bad impression. So remember it. Optimal is a superlative.

Edited by Ester Maria

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bab/2914924455.html Oh my...as if a fast "expresso" crib isn't bad enough, now people are selling baby bedding with holes in it?? Good grief! :D

$500 for a second-hand crib bedding set???? Hole;) or not, in the original unwrapped packaging or not, how does anyone feel good about that deal?:001_huh: I must live under a rock because I just can't imagine spending more than $100 brand new for crib bedding (which I actually wouldn't do, but just hypothetically speaking, that's the highest I'd ever feel comfortable going). I mean, is the baby really going to notice or care what you spent as long as the sheets are clean and comfy? Sorry - I know this has nothing to do with the focus of this thread - I'm just trying hard to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Your sewing machine doesn't have a paddle.

It's not wahlah.

Took me a minute to get this. And then -- viola! -- I got it! :D

Another one that drives. me. crazy: "free reign"

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

ETA: In case this is too subtle, I'll just add that my son plays viola and we're always :confused:

Edited by Laura in CA

This thread makes me think of the Friends episode where Joey tells the girls that "The point is moo" instead of moot. It cracks me up.

gasp...laughing so hard....

It's a cow's opinion :lol:

Well, my personal bugaboo has not been mentioned.... impacted. As in, the story impacted me greatly. It makes me visualize someone listing to a story and then imploding.

The patio bench you are selling on Craigslist is not ROD iron. It is wrought, people!

CL really needs a spelling sticky. :glare:

But people around here think it's "rot" iron. :001_huh: I guess those are the same people whose children sleep in "bump" beds instead of "bunk" beds. :lol:

Do you guys run into folks who misuse “alasâ€? As in, “I was afraid we were too late to catch the beginning of the movie, but, alas! We made it!â€

I have a sister who uses it correctly about half the time, and incorrectly the other half.

It is VERY disorienting.

Also—and these are so common that I hesitate to point them out, but—I believe the following expressions are CORRECT:

1) She wants to eat her cake and have it too.

2) He fell heels over head in love.

Over time, people started reversing these to “have her cake and eat it, too†and “head over heels,†but they really don’t make much sense that way. You can get cake and then eat it (whereas you can't eat a cake and still possess it--hence the unreasonableness inherent in the desire), and one’s head is typically over one’s heels, so if you say it that way, they don’t mean anything.

Someone should start a thread exclusively for horrible jargon from the business world. My husband is in upper management, and he drags home the ugliest "new" vocabulary words. "Incentivize" and "ideate" and "on-boarding" spring to mind. Makes me want to wash out his mouth with soap!!!!

Pores are things on your face that can be too bg, and need frequent care by your esthetician. It think it sounds much nicer to metaphorically pour over a book. The other phrase has me thinking your skin oils are leaking out all over libray book pages I'm touching. Squick.

I would never pour something over a book. It might ruin the book.

Two things even the more enlightened crew gets consistently wrong.

1) Optimal is a superlative.

It is bene, melior, optime. Optimal is the equivalent of "the best". Because of that, there is NO SUCH THING as "a more optimal solution", "the most optimal course of action". Optimal is already a superlative.

2) Alternative is ONE.

Alter means "the other of the two". An alternative is the ONE other option you have in a certain situation. If you have multiple options to choose from, those are NOT to be called alternatives, they are to be called... other options? Well, invent something along those lines. There is NO SUCH THING as "another alternative might be", "one of the alternatives proposed", etc. In fact, very strictly speaking, there is no "an alternative" either, only "the alternative", because of that - it should be used only in cases where there is the other option involved.

----

As regards 2), we have pretty much LOST that battle and this particular distinction is no longer observed even by the majority of literate, educated people. I sometimes catch myself doing it too. It has become accepted and only the most stringent people will frown upon it. But still, try to keep it in mind and maybe we can resurrect this distinction, LOL.

As regards 1), that particular distinction did NOT get lost and you WILL leave a bad impression. So remember it. Optimal is a superlative.

I knew #1. I did not ever think about #2! I learned something tonight; thanks! I will help you resurrect the proper usage of the word 'alternative.' :D

I knew #1. I did not ever think about #2! I learned something tonight; thanks! I will help you resurrect the proper usage of the word 'alternative.' :D

Thank you! That is so kind of you! :) I would really, really like it to be used more consistently with its actual meaning (included by me, LOL).