Menu

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is moot, never mute. Although if the point really is moot, it is sometimes best to remain mute.

Motherhood is a role, not a roll.

The thing is called a "web site", or a "website". It is not a "websight" or even a "web sight". It means a location on the web, not something you see on the web. No really.

Also, you cannot reign in someone's rain of terror, love does not concur all, and if you can't bare it you might have trouble in the restroom.

And it's DUCT tape. For taping ducts. Leave the poor (not pour or pore) fowl (not foul) alone (not a lone or a loan).

Furthermore, I sometimes wish religious education classes included an explanation of the difference between being "led" and being "lead". I know other people have a problem with this sometimes too, but it seems like I see it more from religious folk.

And could someone please tactfully (not tackfully) let my brother-in-law know that there's no such thing as an onacologist?

WHEW! You're right, that feels good!

Your whole post cracked me up, but I really liked the bolded.

Do any of you find yourself posting, only to stop and think was that supposed to be your or you're, whole or hole? These words really are not issues to me, it's just seeping into my head.

:smilielol5: Freudian slip maybe?

Maybe she herself was exhausted?

Or perhaps an iPhone/iPad autocorrect? iPhone loves to finish/substitute your words . Drives me *crazy*. This is all going to get worse before it gets better. Not that I am one to talk; I make lots of silly mistakes.

Here's one I received in an email from dd's dance teacher this very morning:

Hello tireless dancers but very tiresome parents,

Since everyone runs out following our performances to get home for other obligations, I have not been able to tell you how proud I am of all of you. Not only am I proud of your dancing but even more important--- your behavior and your positive attitudes.....

A little background: The girls and boys have been practicing hard for our Irish March Madness. Last week and this week, they have danced over 15 venues. They still have two more to go.

Definitely, a case of "I do not think it means what you think it means."

I wouldn't be so sure. Ds once had a baseball coach who said to....(I'm not sure who)--just stood by home plate and said how he liked coaching, but it was the parents he didn't like. Many of us were seated about 10 feet away. Hey, dude....we don't like you either.:D

The patio bench you are selling on Craigslist is not ROD iron. It is wrought, people!

CL really needs a spelling sticky. :glare:

:lol: That and you don't use a wheel barrel to help you move things around the yard, you use a wheel BARROW. Ugh. But for Craigslist, it does help to know that MOST people are terrible spellers and if you search the typical WRONG spelling you will get more listings ;)

:lol: That and you don't use a wheel barrel to help you move things around the yard, you use a wheel BARROW. Ugh. But for Craigslist, it does help to know that MOST people are terrible spellers and if you search the typical WRONG spelling you will get more listings ;)

I had no idea. Or maybe....I had know idea.

I have seen this spelled viola. What? It goes something like this. "And then, you pop it in the oven and viola! You have a beautiful cake."

What Neanderthals. A viola is a musical instrument.

(Yes, I know everyone here knows that.)

Edited by Parrothead

Back when I used to read only books, only correct examples would soak into my mind. Now that I also read the Internet, I'm constantly bombarded by carp like this and I'm terrified that I'm starting to absorb some of it.

Me too. My hairdresser uses was/were incorrectly. i.e "He were home for spring break." After listening to this for 2 hours, it starts to sound normal. :tongue_smilie:

If their barrel has wheels they can still move things around the yard.

I guess I should edit my post...when I said MOST people are terrible spellers I think that sounded a bit too arrogant. I'm sorry. This thread has me cracking up b/c I see all of the errors mentioned on FB, business letters, store ads, novels, school curriculum, etc. (places where one shouldn't see such errors, kwim?). But I do see a TON of these common mistakes on such boards like Craigslist, Freecycle, etc. I'm just going to :auto: now b/c I think I might have been a bit too, um, critical? Sorry.

Oh, I just remembered another one!

Dh & I were waiting in line at Wal-Mart years ago. This woman had a few kids with here. Two were acting up, one was not. She pointed at the calm one and said to the others "Act like him. He's being have." (pronounced with a long "a")

Oh my! I've actually said this in a moment of frustration. As soon as I said it, my kids gave me a funny look, then we all burst out laughing. It's now a family joke. :lol:

I don't think my favorite has been mentioned... If you are in a lot of pain, you may be bawling, but I doubt you are balling.

Unless you're into that sort of thing, of course. ;) :blushing:

Every time I see someone write "balling my eyes out" I imagine a melon baller and a lot of blood.

I don't think my favorite has been mentioned... If you are in a lot of pain, you may be bawling, but I doubt you are balling.

Unless you're into that sort of thing, of course. ;) :blushing:

I dunno... I've balled up in pain, usually shortly before vomicking.

I've actually been known to say that, but because I think it's funny, not because I think it's correct. The little linguistic 'jolt' will sometimes bump my very precise son into a giggle and out of a 'mood'.

From what I saw/heard before & after that, I'm pretty sure that she wasn't saying it that way to make a point. ;)

Oh my! I've actually said this in a moment of frustration. As soon as I said it, my kids gave me a funny look, then we all burst out laughing. It's now a family joke. :lol:

Dh & I say it jokingly on occasion. We've got tons of lines we use with each other from when we owned our guitar shop. :tongue_smilie:

I remember once when I worked at a small town newspaper, a lady called and wanted a prescription to the paper. I really thought she wanted Rite-Aid until she said she wants a prescription so she could get the paper every week.

:D It takes all kinds.

I remember once when I worked at a small town newspaper, a lady called and wanted a prescription to the paper. I really thought she wanted Rite-Aid until she said she wants a prescription so she could get the paper every week.

:D It takes all kinds.

It does at that.

And if nothing else, the fact that people can get along just fine in the world anyway gives me hope for my kids if I ruin them by homeschooling them. :)

Ok, I have one. "Drownding" This was said by my daughter (I've heard it before around here, but never knew one of my children had picked up the incorrect word.) My daughter blasted it out at a play practice one night, "I'm DROWNDING, I'm DROWNDING!!" :glare: I thought I was going to die, we came home and had a quick lesson about drown/drownd.

TONS of people around here say "hand me a na'kin." NaPkin. There is a P there!!

I once had a friend who would use "no offense" for everything. "No offense, but could I have a drink?" "No offense, but do you like my shoes?" Another friend used to say "on a bench" instead of "on a pedestal". Everytime she would talk about how people put so and so on a bench, I would envision the person standing on a park bench with people around them.

Along the same lines as Esther Maria:

Complete is complete. Nothing can be "more" complete than complete. Same with unique. It is either unique or it's not. Nothing is more unique than anything else.

Something else I saw around Christmas time was someone carrying on about how pagan Christmas is and it's really a celebration of the "Winter Solace." I tried to politely correct this person, but she continued using "solace" instead of "solstice." After I pointed it out to her AGAIN, she said it was a typo. Um, no it wasn't, sweetie. Once is a typo, twice is ignorance. Then I made the connection that this person is a curriculum writer and I decided to not ever consider her materials again (which I had been). If you're going to get on a soap-box about something, know what it is you're against. In my eyes, her credibility took a nose-dive.

Last but not least, "gift" is a noun. It is not a verb. You do not sound sophisticated or intelligent saying you "gifted" something to someone. You sound like you're trying to be superior by using "gift" instead of "gave" or "give."

I feel better now!

Neither of these were on these boards; they were from people I know IRL. I just had to rant because it drives me crazy!

[big breath]

I'm ok now.

:001_smile:

Thank you! I have seen friends make these mistakes. I see the 'sale' and 'sell' mistake most often. It drives me crazy.

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/grd/2900775809.html

It looks like a second guilding is also available.

Maybe the horses are running away and put up the CL ad themselves?

Ok, I have one. "Drownding" This was said by my daughter (I've heard it before around here, but never knew one of my children had picked up the incorrect word.) My daughter blasted it out at a play practice one night, "I'm DROWNDING, I'm DROWNDING!!" :glare: I thought I was going to die, we came home and had a quick lesson about drown/drownd.[/Quote]

I am trying to break mine of "cousints". When I say mine, I include my husband, who started this affront.

Another friend used to say "on a bench" instead of "on a pedestal". Everytime she would talk about how people put so and so on a bench, I would envision the person standing on a park bench with people around them.

I LOVE the idiom-challenged! My favorite mangles came from a coworker and a former boss. Respectively:

"This place is going to h3ll in a handbag!" and

"I know I'm b!tching at the chorus here, but..." (That would be "preaching to the choir" for the rest of us.)

It is either unique or it's not. Nothing is more unique than anything else.

I'm a name nerd, and I want to scream all the time over this! Every expectant mother asking for help on a baby name site wants a "unique name". I want to say, "Okay, let me get out the Scrabble tiles. How about Ghilxku? I'm pretty sure no one else has that name." Throw out all your baby name books, because every name in them has been used before. None of them qualify as "unique".

Unique itself has actually been in the top 1000 girls' names for several years. So even Unique is not unique!

Ok, I have one. "Drownding" This was said by my daughter (I've heard it before around here, but never knew one of my children had picked up the incorrect word.) My daughter blasted it out at a play practice one night, "I'm DROWNDING, I'm DROWNDING!!" :glare: I thought I was going to die, we came home and had a quick lesson about drown/drownd.

TONS of people around here say "hand me a na'kin." NaPkin. There is a P there!!

Very good friends of ours always pluralize you. The adults do it right down to the grandkids. Yous go wash up for dinner.

Very good friends of ours always pluralize you. The adults do it right down to the grandkids. Yous go wash up for dinner.

You (plural) sounds awful in every dialect. You guys? Y'all? Yous? Yinz? Yinz is the worst. I've lived here for almost 4 years. It doesn't sound any better now than it did the first time.

Greater Boston area, I see "burers" (byoo-rers) on sale on Craigslist with "4 draws."

I actually enjoy the accent, but . . . the spelling gets creative sometimes.

My first Sunday in church, our pastor was teaching us about "Prisciller and Aquiller," and then we went to my DH's friends' house for lunch after - you know, "Poller and Leeser" (Paula and Lisa).

:D