Menu

Do you Homeschool All year Round?

We keep a strange schedule. We start around late July and then take most of December off. Then we probably take a week in the spring off just for my sanity and we go until about late May. But the kids play outside a great deal in May because the weather is so unbearable for so long here and they spend almost no time outside, except for sledding outings and ice skating and infrequent snow play days. So the school days get progressively shorter as the weather improves.

I do "light school" in the summer--math, latin, some grammar--sometimes on alternate days. That way they don't forget everything. Yet, we bring our history/science to a close by the end of May and begin again in September. This way *Mom* gets a break from the planning-intensive subjects and feels a sense of accomplishment that comes with ending/beginning.

Of course, if we go on a trip or something, I let them off school altogether. But for no more than a week or two at a time.

We go pretty much year-round here. I schedule in the public school schedule simply because it works for the older boys' activities and my younger sons' friends invading the house. We usually take 2-3 weeks in June and get back to school after July 4. We take quite a bit of December off as well. I ease up on history, latin and writing during the traditional, non-school months. It's worked very well for us.

This year we will school all year around because I was so ill earlier this year that I had to stop schooling at Thanksgiving. We resumed school-lite after Christmas. This week was our first week where we've been keeping up with a full school schedule (I'm getting my health issues under control). We'll see how everyone deals with spring-fever and summertime too. We may do school-lite on occasion to give ourselves a bit of a break.

We pretty much work all year, but we take time off when the opportunity presents itself. Most specifically, my husband is a truck driver and we never know when he'll be able to spend a few days at home. Originally, I tried to stick to a schedule even on those days, but now I've given up. And that's fine with me -- I think it's much more important that he spend time with his Dad.

We try to school year round - and then just take off when life happens - .....hs field trips, trips to the museum, etc etc - some things wind up taking longer than planned! I figure if I "plan" to school every day and am not neurotic when other things come up - then it will all work out in the end! (it will won't it??? LOL) ;)

Year round and we take off when life happens. We need the structure during the summer and most days we are done around noon. During spring and summer when the weather is nicer we school outside and we have been known to go to the park to do school. ;) We take two weeks off for vacation. A week at a time. One week is during the spring and the other is during the summer. :cool:

But I probably would anyway! School takes a back seat to get togethers, as kiddo is an only and I know he needs to be around his peers, until we are three days behind. Then we do school no matter what.

Maybe when kiddo is older and can budget his own time, and I don't have to on hand 100% of his school work, we can be more feast and famine, but for now, it is a steady diet, pretty much.

I believe the stats on how long it takes kids to pick up math in the fall after a summer off. I remember that distinctly.

Year round. We don't have to record days so we take off when we need a break or a vacation. As our family has grown, it gets harder to get everything done "on schedule". We get our best work done in the winter and then take a spring vacation then back to work lite in the summer and full force in the fall.

This will be our first summer, I intend to take it easy and do "light lessons" that can be cancelled or re-arranged based on what we are doing for the day. I can see us doing a full day on a rainy day or a day we have to stay home for some reason.

I can already tell that my son is someone who thrives on constant review. His enthusiasm for schoolwork is so strong though, that I wonder if he will want to do more this summer.

I plan on doing a few unit studies as well. It is a nice time to schedule a series of themed trips.

We take breaks when we have a new baby (#3 won't be the last), we also take all of our religious holy days off, plus the kids get their own name day, birthday and baptismal days off (if they like).

I see my friends getting all stressed out because they have to finish their math by June 1st; so glad that isn't us!! We go year round, taking big breaks to travel at major holidays and a couple times in the summer. If I'm giving my kids a literature-based education (whole books, living books, classical, ykwim), how could I take 3 months off? We try really hard to live a learning lifestyle, not just "do school" at home.

Melissa

We do school year 'round...but I'm more likely to be flexible when local schools are out, and opportunities with friends arise.

With as much as we've had going on, these years we've been homeschooling (babies born, moves, deaths/illnesses in the family requiring travel), there's really no way to not just take breaks when they're necessary. Being able to pick right back up again with no pressure to finish by "X" really helps, and is probably one of the biggest reasons we've been able to accomplish goals.

No. In Florida we did. It was too hot in the summer to do much of anything else. Now that we are in Washington we take 2-3 months off in the summer to enjoy it. I am also in need of a long break by that time. We are pretty strict during the school year.

Yes.

We have to in order to get some semblance of a full school year worth of teaching due to a custody/visitation calendar.

But really, I think it makes more sense to school year round and take shorter breaks throughout, so that there aren't issues with loss of retention.

Ok I was wondering If you do Homeschool all year round how do you go about how many days you take off and such? Currious because DH and I was thinking of doing it since Jacob Likes to do school work, Even over the summer he will get books out and work things.

We do take July off, just because I need the break.

But every other day we school unless there is a good reason not to. If someone is sick, or we have a doctor's appointment, or I'm way too grumpy, or we have company, or it's the holidays, or we travel, or Daddy's home, we take those days off. We seem to get plenty of breaks this way. I've never scheduled breaks because life seems to give them to us regularly with 5 young boys.

We do school year round, but we also do school lite in the summer. We take 2-3 weeks off in December and we ususally travel 3 weeks during the year. I usually take a week or two off in August to deep clean the house and gear up for the next year. I'm a believer in just plugging away. :)

My husband is military and that plays a big part in our schedule. We may take off a long weekend that he has off or take off a couple of weeks when he comes home from a deployment. On this recent move we were doing a very limited amount of school for 6 weeks. We'll take off some time here and there in the summer when we have visitors. In short, yes we homeschool year-round with breaks as needed. No, we don't follow the local school's schedule.

Living in the desert, we school through the summer and take the month of December off. We take off 2 weeks around each boy's b-day (just 'cause the weather's usually nice then) and another 2 weeks in August for mom to regroup. Totals about 42 weeks of schooling all told. 6 weeks are light unit type studies.

More than 4 weeks off in a row and my darling boys grow horns and tails and start looking for something to destroy! LOL

We have been taking summers off, although that doesn't mean that all learning instantly stops. We do lots of reading, exploring new interests and I still require a little math practice each week, just so it doesn't all go out the window.

Jean

We did not school last summer:(. It took forever to get back on track. So now we are schooling year round and we take breaks as we need. We will take a week in spring along with the ps so my kids can go stay with their cousin. I LOVE not stressing about finishing with everything by June.:D

We do year round because it's just too hot during the summer. I figure April and October are better months for playing outside and we'll take a break then. We also take a couple of weeks off during December. This year it was from Thanksgiving to January because we moved and the amount of stuff DD forgot was huge. Never again.

When we lived in a warmer state we did, just because we took more time off in the winter, but now that we live in a state that is just about freezing every day of the winter we get more done and I am really looking forward to outdoor free time. We will still do a few subjects just so we don't get rusty.