Menu

If you are a screen-free (or minimal) home, please read...

I am seeking advice from those of you with either no screen time or VERY minimal screen time for your children. The rest of you can chime in but I feel that I might get a different response from the above-mentioned groups.

Our children (10yoB, 8yoB, 5yoG, 2yoB) have a pretty much screen free life. We have no TV, they've watched one commercial movie in their lives, watch no videos (even educational ones) in many years, don't have cell phones (we own one pay as you go phone and don't use any features including texting) and use the computer perhaps 3-4 times a year aside from Skype. Our religious community supports this to a large degree, although most people do not take it this far. We like this lifestyle, but now I am running into a problem I am not sure how to solve.

We are moving (again) to Tokyo Japan for a year. The last time I did this my oldest was in first grade. I took many, many books with us in addition to our HSing materials. We had people send us lots of books and I also bought a couple of things from other ex-pats. This time I go with two voracious readers (20 books a week!) and one on the cusp of reading fluently. There are libraries with English books in Tokyo, but most collections are very small and have mostly adult trashy novels or early reader types of books.

Because of this I am contemplating getting an e-reader (or two). But I cannot stand the idea of them getting addicted to the things. They love the idea of gadgets and get sucked in quickly, so I know that getting them to let go of the things to school or much else will be well-nigh impossible. But buying or bringing in the amount of books that they will want to read is also impossible. I will buy a electronic encyclopedia but I don't want them using the computer all the time to do research.

Help!!! Any advice very welcome!!

Yael

I think that an e-reader that doesn't do other things besides show the text of books is not really going to be a problem the way other kinds of electronic media could be.

I think the main thing with any technology is to think about what you want it do do for you, what kinds of demands it will make, what kind of skill-sets or objects it would replace, and what other unasked for effects it might have. make the best decision you can based on those things.

And you can always get rid of them if it isn't working the way you expected.

Well, obviously since they are already voracious readers, they are very likely to be "on" the reader a LOT. However, that doesn't have to be a bad thing. There are a few things you can do to make it less of an issue. I would turn off the wi-fi except when you use it (password protect that setting). Have your purchase confirmations emailed to you so you know only what you approve is downloaded. Make the rule that only you download apps (and don't download many). You might also have them check out the reader and/or only read in a public area of the house.

I'm sure some other more reader savvy people will have some better ideas. I don't think we fully know what ours does yet.

We are a minimal screen-house. We are at the library all the time.

I think if I were in your situation, yes, I would get them each an e-reader thing. as long as it didn't have access to internet or games. just books.

the lack of a library would drive me crazy.

Robin in NJ

Just re-read OP. only there for a year??? hmmm. yup. I think i would still get the reader things.

Edited by RobinLK

Hmmm, that is a dilemma. We also try to limit screen time (no tv, very little computer usage by children). I do think reading from a screen is not good for anyone's eyes and will steer clear of e-readers as long as I possibly can. If I were in your shoes, I'd be having similar feelings!

What about magazine subscriptions for each dc? That would provide new things to read and could be left in Japan (or brought home without taking up as much weight as a book). I'm afraid I don't have any mag. recommedations.

Hth a little.

I think that an e-reader that doesn't do other things besides show the text of books is not really going to be a problem the way other kinds of electronic media could be.

:iagree: We have e-readers that have no bells and whistles and they're used just like books. The first few weeks are more fun because of all the books at your fingertips, but that quickly fades. I don't have to limit the basic e-readers, but do have to limit the iPad and iPods.

Well, we aren't a screen free family, but I think getting an e-reader is a good idea. Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have low end readers that only do print. No apps. No video. No sound. Just like a book, but digital. I think it's a good solution for you.

I just got a Kindle Touch--haven't used it too much yet. I certainly wouldn't get a Kindle Fire or iPad or any of the higher end versions that are more about internet access than reading. I'm not sure that there is a great selection of kid e-books though--I would definitely look into that before investing in an e-reader. My kids will read the same books over and over and over--you might try encouraging that habit. I think I would be tempted to make sure we have lots of books but not try to support a 20-different-books-per-week habit. You're in a different culture--spend a year reading a little less and exploring a little more. Take some family games along and replace some reading time with game time.

There are a couple of used book stores in Tokyo. Good Day Books is one of them. They have a website. Kinokuniya has new books for sale in English. I believe that some other stores sell new English books as well. Are you going to be learning Japanese? Get them hooked on reading Japanese books!

I know those book stores well. But, they don't have so many children's books and the ones they have are SO expensive. The used books are like buying new here (and I don't do that here) and the new books -- don't even get me started. We are getting a very good grant for educational materials so I might have to suck it up and buy, buy, buy without thinking about the cost. I am thinking about talking to the international schools about using their libraries (of course for a donation). We will learn some Japanese, but we have other priorities as well...

I would do the e-readers without extras. I don't have one, but the e-ink is supposed to be more like reading a real book. If you use is solely as a reader, then you can consider the electronic source as a medium only. It won't be a fun time-sucking electronic, it will be where your books are stored. I would avoid tablet computers if you don't want them to turn into a distraction device.

Get an e-reader (with e-ink), NOT a tablet. I love my Kindle, but I just use it for reading. You can theoretically use the internet with it, but it is slow and awkward (and all in black and white), so I never do. There are a few games available for kindle - word games, sudoku - more similar to what you would find in the newspaper rather than fun, colorful apps.

If you get them each the most very basic Kindle ($79), it also doesn't have a keyboard, and really, the only thing it is good for is reading books. (And Kindles are GREAT, imo, for reading books.)

I do think reading from a screen is not good for anyone's eyes and will steer clear of e-readers as long as I possibly can.

The basic Nook and Kindle with e-ink is just like reading pages in a book. You even have to provide your own light source if reading in low light. It is nothing like a computer screen and I've experienced zero eye strain ~ which I do if on a computer or iPad too long.

Sometimes reading habits change when an e-reader is used in the place of paper books. The reader may be more tempted to skip around and read a little from one book, a little from the next, never completing a whole book.

Just something to keep in mind if you're planning to use them.

As a disclaimer we are a techie family (dh is a computer programmer lol).

We have many gadgets, a tv, several computers, and so on. Our kids each have an iPod touch for games and books. Even with all of the technology around it is not hard at all to get them to do school because of the gadgets (pulling them away from the Legos is another story ;)). At first it might be hard just because of the novelty of it, but that will wear off soon enough. My kids ate up their iPods for a month after Christmas, but now they are just another toy.

I agree getting an ereader only might be the way to go, and it will save so much space over a large book collection. They can share books and read the same ones at the same time without messing up the book mark of other readers. If everyone has one it will be easy to do a read aloud where everyone reads a bit too without stopping to pass the book and point out where the next person should start. I would find one without wireless capabilities, because they can use public networks to download things you may not want them too unless you or your hubby get schooled on how to set passwords to prevent that. Without wireless the device only downloads things to the device from the computer which you have better control over.

If you do get an e-reader see if your local library has an e-lending book library. They may let you keep your cards just to check out e-books.

My library had an overwhelming response to e-book lending and now they have a large selection. I don't have an e-reader but sometimes I will get a book and read it on the computer.

We have limited screen time in our house, but I don't see the basic e-reader the same way I see screen time.

I think the main thing with any technology is to think about what you want it do do for you, what kinds of demands it will make, what kind of skill-sets or objects it would replace, and what other unasked for effects it might have. make the best decision you can based on those things.

:iagree: my 5yo and 7yo each have a basic kindle with e ink and we don't hook it up to wifi. IMO it is worth it for the classics alone.

It sounds like the kindle is what you will need. Like everyone else mentioned, just purchase the basic kindle. I think it would be a good idea to go and actually see one in a store or borrow one if you can. I think if you see it and try it out you might find it less bothersome. My husband bought one a few months ago and I really think it's great. Not at all like any of the hand held devices that most kids use to "play" on.

I might liken it to a debit card instead of a check. The debit card looks like a c.card and functions somewhat like one, but it's not. It's just more convenient and allows more flexibility for daily living!

Good luck!!

We have a similar setup with respect to media -- no TV, no movies, extremely limited computer access. I have also lived in Japan before, albeit pre-kids, and completely agree that trying to buy enough books over there is going to be prohibitively expensive. In your situation, I would not hesitate to get each of the older kids a basic e-reader, the kind that are only for reading books. It's just going to be so limiting otherwise.

But what an exciting opportunity! I would love to go back to Japan for a while with my kids.

We didn't expose DD to any electronic media until she was about 4 or so. Then, we started using educational programs, albeit very infrequently.

We don't have cable. DH and I don't watch TV. So, DD has never been into TV. She has seen 3 commercial movies (and one was from the 60s and another from the 70s). At her age now (7.5), we have offered many times now to let her watch a variety of movies. She asks us the plots, requests to see previews on YouTube and rejects every. single. fictional movie. She truly despises cartoons and doesn't even request to see samples of them. She loves documentaries. Just absolutely loves them. So, we watch them occasionally as a family. (As an example, in the past month, we watched "Between the Folds", and in the previous month we watched "Story of One".)

DH and I both work in high tech. He is an IT manager; I'm an information architect. Our house is filled with computers, iPhones, iPad, Kindle. But, we agreed very early on that we didn't want them to be a focus of early childhood development in our family.

We also use the computer and iPad for limited educational things--mostly for non-fiction documentaries, Discovery Education, and some limited iPad programs. So, more than you do, but much less than just about everyone we know. She has songs on an old iPod that she can listen to whenever she wants.

DD is not at all tempted by these things. She never uses the computer on her own; I work with her whenever we are viewing something. We do let her use the iPad on her own, but it is never ever a problem if we set a limit. We honestly have never had an argument ever about electronics here. They simply are not that important to her. She sees them as a tool to learn about things, just like books, classes, etc. They aren't her primary focus and certainly nothing addictive for her.

I think by not making these things be a focal point of her life early on that we have avoided the temptations and addictions. I really think you might be pleasantly surprised by how your kids handle something like an e-Reader. I agree too that you should choose one with e-ink. Admittedly, I am somewhat insistent that DD stick to real books right now, but I think I would loosen up on that constraint if I were in your position.

Good luck!

There weren't quite as many techno gadgets when our children were young, so I can't address everything. However, I did want to say that as long as you set clear and consistent rules for their usage, and both you and your husband are on board with these rules, it doesn't have to be a problem. Plus, you will be setting healthy patterns that will stick with them.

We were quite strict with our computer usage rules -- for example, 20 minutes at a time, once every four hours, one computer in the main room, and not usable unless someone else was in the room with them. We also didn't (and still don't, for our kids living at home) allow any screen time at all on a Sunday until after sunset. Even our older kids out of the home continue to abide by the Sunday rule, not for our sake anymore but just because they like taking a complete break from it all.

However, the 20 minute rule doesn't apply to mom. :)

Sometimes reading habits change when an e-reader is used in the place of paper books. The reader may be more tempted to skip around and read a little from one book, a little from the next, never completing a whole book.

Just something to keep in mind if you're planning to use them.

This has not been an issue for either of my kids (8 and 11) using the Nook Simple Touch. They love reading their books, and finish them, on this device, and share them since they share a single account across two devices.

They do not use them for anything but reading, and the e-ink screen is the same as paper in terms of ease on the eyes. I barely think of them as electronic devices; more like incredibly efficient and dust-free book storage :)

The basic Nook and Kindle with e-ink is just like reading pages in a book. You even have to provide your own light source if reading in low light. It is nothing like a computer screen and I've experienced zero eye strain ~ which I do if on a computer or iPad too long.

I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

If you buy an e-reader, be sure to load it with books (or load your account) before you go. Check out which books will be available to you in Japan.

We have a Kindles and we use them for reading only, because that is our preference. We do not share Kindles because it prevents everyone from being able to read at the same time.

Many books offered on it are available in the U.S. only, because access to them in other countries depends on the publisher. From what I've read on the Kindle message boards on Amazon, if you are in England, but your billing address is in the U.S., you can only buy books that are licensed for the Kindle in the U.S. from the Amazon US website.

Likewise, you cannot go to Amazon UK and buy Kindle books from there if your billing address is in the US.

This all sounds as clear as mud. I would just make sure that if you decide to get an e-reader, you find out which books will be available to you in Japan and make sure you load your account with books before you move, if necessary.

The books do not have to be stored on Kindles -- all of ours are stored on the Amazon site and we move them to the Kindle when we want to read them. I have 300 books on my Kindle, and 1,000 in my Amazon library. That's another thing to check -- whether books purchased on your account in the US will stay in your Amazon library when you move to another country.

Since this all has to do with which countries and stores the publishers license their books to, all of this is likely true of every e-reader, not just the Kindle. You are not buying the book, you are buying a license to read the book and to keep it in your library. The books cannot be resold and they cannot be loaned unless the publisher has agreed to that. All of our books are on my Kindle account and all of our Kindles are registered to my account so we all have access to them.

Edited by RoughCollie

I agree with the chorus of people calling for some basic Kindles with e-ink. My husband got his a few years ago when he was deploying to Afghanistan and it was soooo nice for him to be able to read what he wanted when he wanted instead of having to rely on a donation library or slow mail.

I got mine last year and love it. It feels more like a book than a gadget and I love the fact that you can set font size, etc. I really can't see it being addictive at all, except that its lighter and more convenient than paper books.

We limit screen time in our house to 30 minutes max of either videos or Starfall and I am especially against video game and portable devices for kids, but I plan to buy DS a Kindle as soon as he graduates to chapter books.

As several people said, you can get a reader that doesn't do anything except...let them read, right? I don't think an e-reader is something like other electronics for getting them addicted. I think it will feel just like a book to them after a while, although at first it will be mighty exciting. But what are they going to do except read more, or scroll around seeing how it works. I wouldn't have a concern with that at all.

What would bother me more is the loss of real books, and the idea that they are spending hours holding an electronic device close to their bodies - but I'm a freak and they are probably perfectly safe! It doesn't sound like you have a lot of options, so I'd get the e-readers. Sounds like your main concern is an addiction to electronics, but I think a simple e-reader won't do anything for them to encourage more time spend on it than they would reading a normal book.

I can vouch for the idea that a basic Kindle is pretty much just like a book. I am constantly jamming my finger up against the corner of the thing because I keep trying to turn the page. Seriously.

I'm a voracious reader, and the only difference I've noticed is that, with an e-reader, you get a bit addicted to being able to tap any word and bring up a definition for it. Whether that's a pro or a con is up to you, but now when I read a paper book and can't instantly look up an unfamiliar word, I get a bit annoyed.

:grouphug: What a hard choice! I grew up in a home like yours, although we never had to deal with a move like that. I hope you can find a suitable solution!

Just a thought (I'm not sure how well this would go over given your DC's relationships): if you got only 1 e-reader, it would give you a very good excuse to heavily regulate it so that everyone would get a an equal chance.

:iagree: We aren't a minimal screen family, only because DH's work means we have many devices in the house & there is always another option if two people wish to use something at the same time (pc, laptop, ipad etc - we have no tv and never have). I know a number of families with very similar attitudes to screens to us and there is a simple correlation between the number of devices & the hours of use. Those with only one PC and nothing else have far less screen time per person even if they have no restrictions whatsoever (we do).

Just get one.

Have a great trip.

IMO a basic Kindle (or similar device) does not qualify as "screen". We are very strict and conservative about screen time - least amount of educational DVDs, no electronic toys EVER, very limited, supervised access to the computer (research only)...

Still, ds12 reads almost exclusively on a Kindle - and he does just that: read (A LOT!)

The novelty wears off in two hours and then there really is not much difference between the "real book" and the e-book.

BTW, this is coming from a book lover who only three years ago would have equalled an e-reader to a Wii:lol:.

Otoh, be very sure to stick to the basic e-readers. Anything more than that and you are up for surprises...:001_huh:

Edited by sahm99

Hmmm, that is a dilemma. We also try to limit screen time (no tv, very little computer usage by children). I do think reading from a screen is not good for anyone's eyes and will steer clear of e-readers as long as I possibly can. If I were in your shoes, I'd be having similar feelings!

What about magazine subscriptions for each dc? That would provide new things to read and could be left in Japan (or brought home without taking up as much weight as a book). I'm afraid I don't have any mag. recommedations.

Hth a little.

From all I have read, e-readers typically affect the eyes differently than TV or a computer screen.

This will be going along with what many others are saying, but I completely understand where you're coming from. For us, ereaders have been a lifesaver because English books for children are simply unavailable here. My kids have Sony Readers without any sort of internet connection, so the only thing they can do on them is read, and they read a lot. In no way do I see a connection between, say, an iPod and an ereader. They're completely different things and you wouldn't get addicted to an ereader any more than you would a book. ;)

I think you might have success with the library at an international school, like you mentioned. One of the international schools here has a small library of books in English (small for the US, amazing for Kyrgyzstan) and they allow expats to use it for a fee. Very worthwhile. Also, if you still have US library cards, that makes a huge difference. We download lots of ebooks and audiobooks from our library.

Honestly, ereaders have been vital here. Like you, we went overseas the first time when my oldest was in first grade and I was able to get by with what we brought in our suitcases (four 70-pound suitcases of books). But this time it would be impossible. There's no way I could have brought, mailed, or purchased enough physical books. But there's no shortage of good ebooks. I went as far as scanning 600 of our books, mostly non-fiction, but you might consider that a bit much.

Ditto.

So it's the screen itself that's the problem? Even though it would allow them to read books? Isn't that sort of a technicality? It's just a device that would help solve a problem.

I could let them on my computer to read books. I feel that the differences in the way people process the information IS the issue. I know my kids turn into very unpleasant zombies when screens are involved; even as simple as a hand held B&W word search game that my 2nd son got as a present.

The "whiz-bang" immediate gratification, lots of bells and whistles and the screens' methods of keeping your attention by switching up the image every couple of seconds aspect of the things is the issue. I am an adult and I have a hard time with it! They are children and they have a growing amount of self-control. I'm not about to give them unlimited amounts of screen time to help them "alleviate" the problem of their behavior around screens through ennui/boredom but to help them gain self control through other venues and then be able to process the draw of the screen as they get older.

I am leaning towards taking a gamble on the Kindle and trying it out. If I think it isn't working, then I can probably sell them for a fortune in Japan. :lol:

What about a Robinson curriculum (or A2)? Essentially, you buy cds with tons of books on them and then print them out. Not as engaging as an actual book, imo, but still paper. You could use your grant money for LOTS of paper and ink.

You could also print off Gutenburg press but the formatting on Robinson is supposed to be better.

Edited by MSNative

Because of this I am contemplating getting an e-reader (or two). But I cannot stand the idea of them getting addicted to the things.

How would they get addicted to something that is basically a large library of books? That's like saying, "I'm afraid to fill my bookshelf because my kids might get addicted to the bookself."

Reading a book on an e-reader is just ... reading a book.

Tara

The "whiz-bang" immediate gratification, lots of bells and whistles and the screens' methods of keeping your attention by switching up the image every couple of seconds aspect of the things is the issue.

I have a Sony reader, and it has none of those features. It is black and white, has a delay in processing, makes no sounds, and does not do anything (like turn the page) unless I press a button. It is not linked to the internet.

The "whiz-bang" immediate gratification, lots of bells and whistles and the screens' methods of keeping your attention by switching up the image every couple of seconds aspect of the things is the issue.

I ask this in all seriousness ... have you ever seen or used a Kindle? I have a Kindle Keyboard and it's just a screen with a book page on it. Literally, that's all it is. There's no whizz-bang bells and whistles. It's just a screen with a book page. The most exciting it gets is when you push the button for the page to turn. Sometimes it takes a second and you get a little circular arrow in the corner to show it's working. :party:

As for skipping around from book to book to book ... do they do that with the books on your bookself? And if it's really that huge of a deal, that problem is easily solved by only loading one book at a time ... like only keeping one book at a time on the bookself.

I think that perhaps you think of an e-reader as a "screen" in a way it's not. Literally, it is indeed a screen. But as far as being "screen time" in the way people talk about electronic devices, it's not. It's just reading a book.

Tara

I have seen them but not used one (four (great) kids + hate going to stores + my friends don't seem to use them in public spaces = not much time to play with other people's devices). Perhaps it isn't a a screen in the way I think of screens, but honestly after seeing my kids' reactions to videos, computer games, TV, etc; I'm not about to make an expensive and possibly costly (mentally for me) expenditure without talking to others and ruminating on it. So, thanks for your advice. :)

I would go to Target and check out the kindles on display. The regular kindle (not the fire) is really just a book. Like the others, I wouldn't consider them screen time the way I would the kindle fire, a computer, tv, or iPad. Like others have mentioned, the screen is e-ink, not a backlit computer type screen. You definitely don't get the stimulation and lack of blinking like you can get on a computer screen. It really is a completely different experience and very much like a book. It's no more addicting than a book.

As for using them overseas, you shouldn't have a problem. We are American and are currently living in India. I use my US credit card on my American Amazon account and can get any book that anyone else in the US can buy. I also still have our local library cards and have no problem checking out ebooks to read.

We even bought our 6 yo dd a kindle for Christmas this year after letting her use mine over the last year. It's so much easier traveling with just the kindle rather than bringing multiple books for her (and us)! She is a fast and voracious reader for her age. I had bought many of the Boxcar Children books at a thrift store before we left the US and she read one or two a day and completed all that I had bought. Well this year on black Friday amazon had the kindle version of the Boxcar Children books for $.99 each and I was able to buy her many more from the series. For her, reading them on the kindle was no different than reading the paper books. Without the kindle she would read WAY less because we just wouldn't have access to as many books. Regular kindles don't have their own light source (like a book) so we bought her a little book light and she reads every night in bed before going to sleep. I would never have bought her something with a backlit screen, games, color, etc.

ETA: After having spent the last year traveling/living abroad, I would buy a kindle for each child. One advantage over books is that if you buy a book, you can put that book on everyone's kindle at the same time so they can all be reading the same book if they want. You also have access to lots of out of copyright classics. Check out http://www.gutenberg.org and you'll see the kinds of titles available for free.

Edited by weddell

I will totally agree with others. A Kindle is just like reading a book. Definitely go to Target or Best Buy and look at them in person. You will need a small book light if your kids will be reading in low-light situations, because there is no backlighting at all. I have a case with a book light that slides into the case for reading at bedtime.

I'm with everyone else. A Kindle is JUST like reading a book. No bells, no whistles, nothing to get "addicted" to, other than a good story. Oh, and the instant dictionary. I'm hooked on being able to look up a word with the click of a button, rather than having to get up, get out the dictionary (or grab the computer), etc.

Now a Kindle Fire or an iPad? No way. Those are definitely addictive. We're struggling with that with our DS right now. But the Kindle has never been a problem.

Congratulations on your adventure! It sounds very exciting!!

I'm with everyone else. A Kindle is JUST like reading a book. No bells, no whistles, nothing to get "addicted" to, other than a good story. Oh, and the instant dictionary. I'm hooked on being able to look up a word with the click of a button, rather than having to get up, get out the dictionary (or grab the computer), etc.

Now a Kindle Fire or an iPad? No way. Those are definitely addictive. We're struggling with that with our DS right now. But the Kindle has never been a problem.

Congratulations on your adventure! It sounds very exciting!!

We're also a minimal-screen-time home, but I don't really feel that my plain Kindle Keyboard counts. Even if the "gadgetness" of it excites them at first, it's not much of a gadget (no games, no colors, no flashy stuff, no internet) so after a pretty short time the only thing bringing them back to the ereader is going to be the books.

In your shoes, I'd get one for each reading child. We like to travel, and when DD is old enough to start reading non-picture books on her own, she will probably get one in the interest of packing light.