Menu

I am sooooo sick of living on a tight budget!!! aaaaaaghhhhh!

Last year, we lived on a tight budget for about 9mths, due to the impending loss of dh's job. We were trying to bank as much money as we could.

He lost his job 9mths ago. Since then, extreme budget mode.

Now the savings is almost gone. My back is flared up again, so I am back on medical leave from work. Instead of loosening the reins a bit (which we figured would happen by now-almost 2 years later), we are having to go on yet again, a stricter budget.

:svengo:

We have lived on a strict budget since we decided to homeschool. If we go off budget we don't eat at the end of the month. It's kind of like living life in crisis mode. Sometimes I just want to go buy something. Pick up something extra for the kids without stressing over it and mentally rearranging budget categories to make up the difference. Tough stuff, but I just try to concentrate on the blessings. But for us I take a bit of consolation from the fact that we chose this lifestyle. It would be even harder if it was thrust upon me by the circumstances you are experiencing, job loss and medical issues. Hoping things turn around soon!

Last year, we lived on a tight budget for about 9mths, due to the impending loss of dh's job. We were trying to bank as much money as we could.

He lost his job 9mths ago. Since then, extreme budget mode.

Now the savings is almost gone. My back is flared up again, so I am back on medical leave from work. Instead of loosening the reins a bit (which we figured would happen by now-almost 2 years later), we are having to go on yet again, a stricter budget.

:svengo:

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

I've been feeling the same here. Our daughters' fencing coach asked me why I only signed the girls up for one tournament each for the next two months (the salle is hosting two tournaments over the next two months, and he wants all the kids to participate). I told him that we can't afford the fees for both girls to do both tournaments. When he looked surprised at my thinking it was expensive, I clarified that the cost to enroll them both for both tournaments would be the equivalent of half of our grocery budget for a month. His response was, "Wow, that's a pretty low grocery budget." Um, yeah, I know. Trust me, I wish it were bigger, but it isn't. Sigh. One day.

At least now he knows why I cringe every time he approaches me (he's usually letting me know about some great new opportunity for the girls to compete or some new piece of equipment they should own). :lol:

Yup, one day you decide not to care about anything. Then you get excited about something, realize it will 100 years before you have the budget for it, and so quit thinking about it all over again.

I spent 3.00 on a red t-shirt on clearance last night. I needed a red shirt. Then I found a pair of PJ pants on clearance for 3.47. I didn't really need them, but they are cute and comfy. I toy with the idea of feeling guilty for spending 3.47. That didn't used to be considered a "luxury amount".

I toy with the idea of getting a job. I got turned down for a few online jobs. I have no car and there is no place within walking distance hiring. Then I've been so sick off and on lately that I'm not sure I have the stamina to hold a job anymore.

My only real positive to this is that when I run the current numbers, our EFC to college will be zero. I don't foresee this changing vastly in the next 3 1/2 years.

Hang in there, EL. I know. We have to go back on a tight budget again and I'm freaking out because stuff just needs to get done and it costs money to do it. I have to look for another house to clean and I'm already beyond exhaustion. I hit complete exhaustion about 6 months ago.

We got the news last night that dh didn't get the dream job. The job that would have meant a consistent paycheck and financial security. I'm just so tired. And I just don't care anymore. I haven't even considered college.

:grouphug: I'm sorry.

I've been feeling the same here. Our daughters' fencing coach asked me why I only signed the girls up for one tournament each for the next two months (the salle is hosting two tournaments over the next two months, and he wants all the kids to participate). I told him that we can't afford the fees for both girls to do both tournaments. When he looked surprised at my thinking it was expensive, I clarified that the cost to enroll them both for both tournaments would be the equivalent of half of our grocery budget for a month. His response was, "Wow, that's a pretty low grocery budget." Um, yeah, I know. Trust me, I wish it were bigger, but it isn't. Sigh. One day.

At least now he knows why I cringe every time he approaches me (he's usually letting me know about some great new opportunity for the girls to compete or some new piece of equipment they should own). :lol:

:001_huh: What an extremely rude thing to say! It would be off putting to me for someone to comment on what I thought was expensive or not. Does he not realize that everyone has different financial positions and it isn't his business? Sheesh.

To the OP, :grouphug::grouphug: we live on pennies compared to nearly everyone else I know IRL, so I know how you feel. It's tiresome at times.

I am sorry. I am sick of living on an extremely tight budget, too. Especially since the price of food has skyrocketed.

:iagree: We are pinching here, too, but wow! The price of groceries is a killer. I never in a million years thought I'd say I was glad my oldest was moving out, but I am so happy for him that his room and board at college this fall will include a full meal plan. No more having to beat the other teens to leftovers.

I am so glad we had a mild winter, the lower utility bills were a blessing!

Hope things ease up for you soon, Tap! :grouphug:

I'm very fortunate in that we may have a tight budget but at least whenever I mention going back to work (part time is very possible as I can easily renew my RN license) Dh gets grumpy. At least I know that I'm wanted at home as well as needed........

I do have some ideas to make a little cash, though. Maybe this summer.....I really really want a Sonlight core for Ds now that Dd has one.

I am SOOO there with you.

We just paid off our van and we STILL are in the hole. :001_huh:

I can never get ahead. We couldnt get ahead when I was babysitting full time and working at a gas station. Prices go up, Dh hasnt had a raise in 4 years and he got his bonuses take away, everything breaks, people get sick, weddings, baby showers, graduations..........UGH.

It will never end.

Yes. Me too. We're having such a hard time. :(

We're about to get a decent sized tax refund, and for the first time ever, we can't use it for anything but catching up.

My winter boots just fell apart, all my kids just had a major growth spurt and need clothes, my van needs new tires, and my debit card weeps every time I buy groceries.

I'm so tired of feeling like we'll never get ahead.

:grouphug:

So many of us are in this boat...and I've got to find ways to cut the groceries even more, it's the only place to do it.

:grouphug:

That's about all I've got.

~coffee~

Me too. For the past year or so, we've actually been doing a bit better financially, but now it's cycled back to being financially tight for us again. The respite had me hoping we had finally made it through the years and years of tough times. :(

Dh's business was up last year, but this year, so far, it's way, way down. And of course, expenses are way, way UP. Not only are groceries and gas outrageous now, but we need a new roof (not just shingles, but decking too), ER needs to have his wisdom teeth out, I need at least one root canal, ER's car broke down this morning and is now in the shop, where it was discovered that not only is his car in need of repairs, he also MUST have new tires before he returns to college this weekend. The roof will be close to $10,000, wisdom teeth extraction will be close to $2,000, my root canal & crown will be about $2,000, and tires for ER's truck are $650; we don't know what the cost of the repairs will be. We have no savings at all, and we do not have dental insurance (we have no health insurance, for that matter). That's about $15,000 worth of need, and no idea where it's going to come from. But I am trying to trust God to meet our needs.

:001_huh: What an extremely rude thing to say! It would be off putting to me for someone to comment on what I thought was expensive or not. Does he not realize that everyone has different financial positions and it isn't his business? Sheesh.

He's rather... direct... in his communication generally, but I have to admit that I probably would have blurted out something similar if our roles were reversed. It's a *really* tight budget. :tongue_smilie:

On an interesting, related note... when we were at the salle this evening, he came up to me and offered to waive the fee for this weekend's tournament for one of our girls. He's also an avid gardener and asked if we wanted some greens and some starter plants for the container garden we've started. I was really touched. :001_smile:

We are in the same boat too. My husband used to make a lot of money but due to changes in the industry his income has gone down more than 60 percent. (real estate appraiser) I honestly never thought we would live like this. But, God has been there. We have learned so much. I look back and am grateful for the growth we have all had. But, I pray we don't have to "grow" for too much longer!

As a single mom with no child support, my budget has been tight for a long time. For years, I was a contract employee working from a home office. It was great, even though my income wasn't very high. Just over a year ago, that company dissolved without much warning, throwing me out into the "real" work world. No unemployment insurance for contract workers.

What I thought was a tight budget looks luxurious to me now! God has been faithful! We have enough food, shelter, and even a treat now and then. I would have rather avoided all this; the past year has been very hard. But it has been incredible to see the Lord working in our lives.

ETA: Thanks for posting! Although I don't want anyone to hurt financially, it does help to know others are facing some of the same problems. So many of our friends are well off and don't relate to the day to day struggles we have. Decisions such as how much gas to put in the car to go to work (no bus line nearby) so that there's enough money left to pay the electric bill.

Edited by emzhengjiu

We live on a super tight budget in the land of the wealthy. I never throw numbers around at park day, but a couple of weeks ago talk of budgets came up and I discovered that we the poorest in the bunch! I just smiled & asked to pass the bean dip. A very good friend of mine was complaining that they can not take both their annual trip to Hawaii and their 20th anniversary trip to some place called Atlantis, because their professional kitchen renovation went $30K over their original budget of $60K while revealing that her dh makes $80K more than mine. I should say $80K more than mine in a good year. I imagine this was my face :glare:.

My dd is going to the college of her dreams in the Fall. If she doesn't get into the dorm we want (the one with a kitchen) we are required to purchase a full meal plan. The full meal plan is $520/ month! I beg your pardon? I live in one of the most expensive areas of the country and my monthly grocery budget for 6 people, one dog, one frog & two cats is $650/ month. What will they be feeding my college freshman that she needs $520/ month?

I cook everything from scratch, shop at thrift stores, never take my children to anything (just ask them,) homeschool on the cheap, garden even though I hate it, walk everywhere, mend & alter hand-me-downs, hang out laundry, keep the furnace at 63 degrees or off at all times (put on a hat & socks!) and have even been known to water my garden with bathwater. It is exhausting! If I mention these things at park day I get this face :confused: from the other moms.

Even though it may be wrong this thread makes me feel better because I thought I was the only one who despises the tight budget. I thought everyone else was counting their blessings & whistling while they worked. Somedays I can fake it & whistle. Other days I just want to go buy something or go somewhere without having to think, "If I do this or buy this what will we have to do without?" Blaaaaaaaah!

Amber in SJ