Menu

Medical Mystery: Diagnose this child

A dear friend posted this Facebook plea for her grandson:

Calling EVERYONE...I pray the Lord uses one or many of you all to help lead us and the MD's into the right direction of a diagnosis...here are the symptons....high fever above 101 for 10 days, not coming down with Motrin/Tylenol, cool bathes, etc... runny nose, productive cough, rash that covers his whole body just like his little face, blood work shows no infection, no bacteria in urine. Flu, RSV, Strep all negative. poor appetite, lethargic most of the time, but so restless he cannot sleep. resting heart rate average 180prm...distressed heart rate above 200prm. O2 stats ranging 80 to 90%. cherry red lips that are starting to crack (although he is on IV fluids). Was given first dose of Ceftin on Friday night, second dose Sat. morning, then rash got worse.( had a very small rash on left leg about the size of 2 quarters side by side prior to the antibiotic). rash started out as tiny bumps, now growing larger and raised to where you can feel them....PLEASE if anyone recognizes these symptons as some possible DX let me know...

His mother added this morning that his eyes are puffy with puss and goo leaking from them. Thoughts?

b51dd32f.jpg

Dr. Greene on kawasaki disease

The mouth, cough, and fever match, but with KD this site says the rash is on the trunk, not the face, and the eyes are red with no discharge.

Still if this might be it, Panda, tell her to talk to the doctor about it today. This site says the outcome is good if treatment begins within 10 days.

(Not a doctor, just a googler)

Fifth Disease, Kawasaki, or Measles.

Had a classmate of my son's who was dx with Kawasaki's....twice. Can be really really bad. She went into heart failure, ended up with a bone marrow transplant, etc. It's not something to fool around with.

Re: Measles...remember that many young doctors have never seen it. Much better to go with an oldtime ped or GP who has experience if that's the guess.

Re: Measles...remember that many young doctors have never seen it. Much better to go with an oldtime ped or GP who has experience if that's the guess.

The trick is to look back by the molars! And, in me, as an adult, I was one huge tomato (whole body), but my BF had ONE spot on his back. Both of us had Koplik spots and a fever for days and days and days and days.

This one is going to be a little out there but has he been on any new meds lately? Anything including antibiotics? He looks like a patient I had one time who had steven johnson syndrome which is a severe reaction to a medication commonly antibiotics but I have heard of it with other meds like Dilantin.

Grasping at straws here...I'm going to dig out my pediatric nursing book.

This one is going to be a little out there but has he been on any new meds lately? Anything including antibiotics? He looks like a patient I had one time who had steven johnson syndrome which is a severe reaction to a medication commonly antibiotics but I have heard of it with other meds like Dilantin.

Do look into SJS. People can have this even with something like NSAIDS (iboprofen, tylenol) that he could have taken along with other meds and even, I believe, viruses. Hopefully it's one of the other suggestions here instead and I do think they are more likely.

Edited by sbgrace

Looks like it could possibly be impetigo or scarlet fever rash. The redness and bumpy-sandpaper-ness suggests scarlet fever rash, although that usually shows up on the torso and works upward. Having red patches on the face suggests impetigo (which is usually NOT bumpy) -- and it spreads quickly through scratching it and touching other parts of the face or body.

Both DSs had a case of each when they were pre-school/toddler aged. Both require antibiotics to knock it out. Especially with the impetigo, there is a danger of the child touching it/scratching his cheeks, and then transferring it to his eyes by rubbing his eyes.

Get in for treatment immediately! BEST of luck in getting a rapid and accurate diagnoses and treatment! Warmest regards, Lori D.

When my dd was 2, she had what the doctors finally called an allergic reaction to a virus. She was covered in a rash and hives on her face and body. She ran a fever over 105. She was lethargic and just didn't act right. Her eyes and lips swelled up. They finally just admitted her to Children's hospital and dosed her up with steroids, anti-histamines and a fever-reducer. They tested her for everything under the sun including Kawasaki, and never really had a firm diagnoses. The meds helped with the swelling and fever. Her rash lasted a couple of weeks.

I'm adding a link to some photos: http://www.scrapjazz.com/galleries/14558/view/346772/-1/318/1.html It's an old scrapbook page I did, but it is the only access I have to the pics right now...they don't show the rash on her face as well.

Edited by Apryl H

I'm wondering if the rash could be an allergic reaction to antibiotics? Since it got worse after the second dose?

OR...it killed off beneficial bacteria in his gut, giving the unwelcome organism a greater foothold. :glare:

I saw this once on one of those medical mystery shows. Would that rash be all over the body? Interesting.

OP - Is there any update? I can't get this picture out of my head!

This is what I was thinking.

I haven't looked at the other responses, and it's almost impossible to diagnose something from a photo, but I'm a little worried that this might be something called Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which is essentially an allergic reaction to a medication or a virus.

If the top layer of the child's skin peels when it's rubbed lightly, that's generally a confirmation of the disease. This is a life threatening condition that requires medical care from doctors who are knowledgable about how to treat it.

Please tell the mother to bring up this disease in case the doctors have not already considered it. Again diagnosis over the Internet is not generally a good thing, but this is something I would want ruled out immediately. It is deadly.

I haven't looked at the other responses, and it's almost impossible to diagnose something from a photo, but I'm a little worried that this might be something called Stevens Johnson Syndrome, which is essentially an allergic reaction to a medication or a virus.

If the top layer of the child's skin peels when it's rubbed lightly, that's generally a confirmation of the disease. This is a life threatening condition that requires medical care from doctors who are knowledgable about how to treat it.

Please tell the mother to bring up this disease in case the doctors have not already considered it. Again diagnosis over the Internet is not generally a good thing, but this is something I would want ruled out immediately. It is deadly.

:iagree:

Here's and update:

Thank you all for your responses...they were VERY helpful....It is funny...the consensus is Kawasaki Disease...and everyone seems to know about this disease, EXCEPT the ER MD at RGH...when we asked him about it yesterday he said he had NEVER heard of that before....Scary ! Anyway, Kawasaki Disease has been ruled out...Liver Function is normal...Fifths Disease ruled out...Measles ruled out...so many other things ruled out...can't remember them all...I do think the rash has something to do with the antibiotic Ceftin,....I just don't know....The only thing confirmed by the CT scan is a sinus infection....but please continue to pray and pass this along....Again, I thank each and everyone of you for your thoughts, prayers and taking time to research this, talk to family and friends about it and help us find a direction to go in....Just think...today you were used....By the Lord....

Several folks responding to her thread suggested Steven-Johnson syndrome. I'm assuming they'll follow up on this next. They live in an area known for horrible medical care, and the parents are very young (19 and 21), but the grandmother who posted the thread is one tenacious lady so she'll advocate for them. If the don't find answers soon I'm guessing she'll fight to transfer them to Charleston or Morgantown.

This family has been through so much. The child's father and grandfather both work in that mine that exploded and made national news last year. In fact, they told the family the grandfather was dead and they went through that for a few hours before the mistake was caught.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I've been passing them on.

Edited by KungFuPanda

I would still be worried about Kawasaki. You cannot "rule it out". There are many criteria that make it more likely but there is no one test that diagnoses Kawasaki or says it it not that. The younger the child the more likely they are to have "atypical Kawasaki" and not have all the criteria. There are lab tests that are suggestive of Kawasaki (high platelets, elevated liver function tests) but it is absolutely possible to have it and have the labs be normal. Some young children present with fever only. With a rash, red cracked lips and conjunctivitis that sure sounds like Kawasaki. If it was my son at the very least I'd demand a cardiac echo. I've seen many patients without all the criteria but who after consultation with cardiology and infectious disease we treat and they get better.

Measles or some other virus are also possible, but not treatable so it doesn't really matter as much except for diagnostic purposes.

Hi, this could be Roseola Infantum? Perhaps ask your paediatrician to consider this.

That was going to be my guess, if the fever broke when the rash appeared. My son had it at just under a year old, and he looked just like textbook measles pictures. Little old ladies were glaring at me and clucking their tongues when I took him out in public with the rash, but the ped swore he wasn't contagious by that point. DS did improve markedly when the rash appeared. It lasted about 10 days, iirc.

Whatever it is, I hope the little guy gets some help and feels better soon.

My guesses in order of likelyhood: Measles, scarlet fever, impetigo (any blisters like chicken pox), SJS, or Kawasaki disease. Did the rash show up before any medication or after. If after it could be allergic reaction to a med. Actually it could be a contact allergic reation to just about anything.

And here is the recent list of things they've ruled out :

Tyson's DX that has been ruled out....Kawasaki Disease; Flu; RSV; Mono;Merca; Fifths; Strep; UTI; No brain swelling. Rectal Swab was negative; Chest X Ray Clear ; Measles, Mumps and Stevens Johnson Syndrome all ruled out. Roseola ruled out...All blood work shows " a perfect picture of health" No bacteria in the urine. Scarlet fever ruled out. ...he still has the high fever, rash that is worsening, increased heart rate; CT scan showed Sinus infection; swollen lymp nodes; lethargic, but so restless he cannot sleep. poor appetite, diarrhea.

He's been having seizures.

0032a7fc.jpg

Edited by KungFuPanda

Tyson's DX that has been ruled out....Kawasaki Disease; Flu; RSV; Mono;Merca; Fifths; Strep; UTI; No brain swelling. Rectal Swab was negative; Chest X Ray Clear ; Measles, Mumps and Stevens Johnson Syndrome all ruled out. Roseola ruled out...All blood work shows " a perfect picture of health" No bacteria in the urine. Scarlet fever ruled out. ...he still has the high fever, rash that is worsening, increased heart rate; CT scan showed Sinus infection; swollen lymp nodes; lethargic, but so restless he cannot sleep. poor appetite, diarrhea.

Have they considered contacting the CDC to see if they can assist with a diagnosis? It sounds like they need to get someone with a little more expertise in rare diagnosis in on this case.

Is he still at the original hospital? Your previous posts had made me a bit leary of trusting what they rule out. If they are at a bigger hospital with more experienced doctors, then my opinion would be different.