Menu

Would you pay to join a library?

There is a library near me that is not part of the inter loan system. It is for residents of that town. It is a huge library and has many offerings. I found out today that I could join it for 75 a year. For members- they have science classes for kids, language classes for kids, and a special system for audiobooks for kids who have disabilities. 75 is a lot to me but look at the things we can do. Our local library has nothing but surly people and a lack of books I want. Most are not even in the inter loan program.

So would you join it?

I wouldn't because we have a local science center and art museum who have some of the things you list. They have "free friday" every couple of weeks, so I can get in without paying admission then. The classes can be paid for one at a time as well. Our library is pretty good though, although I do wish I could use the one that is one county over.

I wouldn't, but faced a similar situation when we moved back to this area. The city library wasn't allowing county residents to have a free card and were charging $80 a year. I opted to start building my own library instead. Since then, they have changed and allow county residents a free card.

If you think you'd use it enough and make use of the other classes they have, it might be a good deal.

I absolutely would. But I am a library addict.

You should be able to use interlibrary loan wherever you are. I'd ask a couple different librarians about it. (not all will be as well-versed in the procedures) I've lived in several states and worked in two libraries and both sent/received books from ALL OVER. Now I live in MI and they seem to only do ILL within the state, but that's still a lot of libraries and I can almost always get what I want. The only time I haven't gotten what I wanted was when a book was shelved as reference......even though I didn't really think it was reference.....

I wouldn't, but faced a similar situation when we moved back to this area. The city library wasn't allowing county residents to have a free card and were charging $80 a year. I opted to start building my own library instead. Since then, they have changed and allow county residents a free card.

If you think you'd use it enough and make use of the other classes they have, it might be a good deal.

That is what I am trying to figure out. We own tons of books and I don't know if we would check out a lot but the classes sound really good. I think it might be a way for my oldest to meet other kids who have interests like him.

I did for 5 years just to get access to a library because we were rural. Then we moved (same state) to an area where you'd join your town's library, but you could still sign up for activities at other neighboring libraries (and access books though ILL). Now we've moved again and we can still use the neighboring libraries, but only if there's space open after their own residents sign up. They have no option to buy a card though.

That is what I am trying to figure out. We own tons of books and I don't know if we would check out a lot but the classes sound really good. I think it might be a way for my oldest to meet other kids who have interests like him.

If you'd use the classes, the cost seems worth it. My kids go through books so fast that it's actually a pain to check them out from the library. They get full bags of books and are finished with them in the next day or two and want to go back. It works better for us to keep books they love and will re-read and fill up their Kindles with free ebooks.

There is a library near me that is not part of the inter loan system. It is for residents of that town. It is a huge library and has many offerings. I found out today that I could join it for 75 a year. For members- they have science classes for kids, language classes for kids, and a special system for audiobooks for kids who have disabilities. 75 is a lot to me but look at the things we can do. Our local library has nothing but surly people and a lack of books I want. Most are not even in the inter loan program.

So would you join it?

Yes. In a heartbeat. $75/year works out to $6.25/mo for better books and great enrichment activities for my kiddos. I'd totally do it.

So would you join it?

I pay $100 a year for a neighboring library, and it doesn't even have all those offerings. (Or rather, their special offerings are open to everyone, member or not.)

It's absolutely worth it for our family. The overwhelming majority of our entertainment is through the library -- books, dvds, audiobooks. Our local library is well-loved, but the bigger library with a much larger collection is very important to us. And it's a wonderful place to hang out. We go do school there once a month or so just for a change of pace. We could do that whether we had a card or not, but it would be no fun to hang out there if we couldn't check anything out.

You should be able to use interlibrary loan wherever you are. I'd ask a couple different librarians about it. (not all will be as well-versed in the procedures) I've lived in several states and worked in two libraries and both sent/received books from ALL OVER. Now I live in MI and they seem to only do ILL within the state' date=' but that's still a lot of libraries and I can almost always get what I want. The only time I haven't gotten what I wanted was when a book was shelved as reference......even though I didn't really think it was reference.....[/quote']

It's not like this everywhere though, the library has no absolute obligation to participate in interlibrary loan systems. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

We do. We use two different local libraries. We signed up for one we have to pay to use. It is actually slightly closer than "our" local library. The one we pay for is part of a town that is only for that town's residents, or paying customers. We are just over the line, so it is actually closer than our "local" library.

The one we pay to use is finally getting e-books, so that will be a nice option. We use our local library for e-books already, and then we are part of a large city library that offers e-books and free membership. And now we pay for a third library ;) Oh, and DH uses one near his work to pick up movies because they allow one week rentals for free. Our local library charges for movies and they are only 2 night rentals. With young kids, we don't always get to watch the movie on the night we rent it.

That was my long-winded yes.

It's not like this everywhere though, the library has no absolute obligation to participate in interlibrary loan systems. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes:

Also many libraries have a charge for ILL. Mine now charges $5 per ILL request. That would add up fast if I had to use it often. Thankfully we have access to two library systems here (city and county) and don't need to use ILL unless it is for out of print, impossible to find sheet music or the like.

In your case, I would absolutely join. We are fortunate to have a first class library system, and it makes a big difference in our homeschool and "regular" lives.

I pay to use the larger library system 30 minutes away. It's been worth every penny! My local library is much better than I expected, but it's a small town library with no ILL (or if they have it, it was expensive enough that I dismissed the idea). Great for getting basic children's books and some science books and such, but not great for getting specific books for homeschooling. The library I pay for has multiple branches, and I can get a book from any of those branches brought to my branch for free. Love it. :)

Yes. If I felt the cost was within my budget and the resources would be useful I certainly would.* I don't think requesting fees for access to private libraries or to libraries in a town that I am not a resident of is unreasonable. Some colleges/universities offer similar opportunities (or at least they did once upon a time).

*Especially if they allowed me one of the fabled educator cards with no fines and no time limits on returns. ;)

I would.

I love our library and yet there are a couple books they don't have that our neighboring county does. I pay $35/year for membership to that library. I don't use the library that much, but I really like having it as a resource.

Our county membership would be $57/year. (It's really good.)

For the additional programs, yup, I'd pay.

We would without a doubt. We don't live in an area that belongs to a library district. If we want access to a library at all, we have to pay $40 per year, which we do willingly. We also make an additional donation each year as we are certain it costs them a whole lot more than $40 to cover the costs related to all of our interloan books! It is a very small library and has almost none of the books we look for. The library you are considering sounds absolutely wonderful!

So would you join it?

YK, I make a donation of about that much every year to our library system because it is awesome and I want to help keep it that way. In your case, I think I'd be tempted to think of it that way.

It sounds like a nice place!

Good luck!

In your situation, yes, I probably would. We are having a similar problem, but I don't think we could afford the gas to get to a neighboring county. I think ours is the only county not on the state's ILL system. :glare: I'm relying heavily on used book sales and a rigorously prioritized book list. Book selection and acquisition has been the bane of my brief planning existence.

And what is up with surly librarians, anyway?? DH makes fun of me because I always come back from the library with a story of surliness. I smile and stuff; it can't be me, can it?? Maybe they don't like me because I'm the annoying ditzy lady that can't ever find anything.