Menu

If your boy was turning 9 at the very end of October...

If turning 9 at the end of October child would be in  

1. 1. If turning 9 at the end of October child would be in

• 3rd grade
    • 4th grade
    • It doesn't matter
    • Other

he would be a _____ grader. Particularly if following a more rigorous than is typical course of study (Well Trained Mind).

Poll (if I can figure that out) to follow.

Looking strictly for opinions here--not a discussion of state cut-offs.

This is concerning the little guy in my sig (if anyone's curious). :001_smile: He is a bright kid, but a typical hates-to-write boy. :tongue_smilie:

I base grade on age cut-off in my state. I would call that child a third grader if my state needed to know, and for social purposes, even though he may be doing lots of fourth grade work, or above.

I would wait a few years to decide what year he would start high school.

I answered it doesn't matter because you said state cutoffs didn't matter. In public school, a child that age would be in 3rd grade because (in Georgia at least) a child must be 5 by Sept. 1st to start Kindergarten. That makes a child need to be 8 by Sept. 1st to be in 3rd grade. But at that age, I considered my kids 4th grade. They were working ahead of that level but I didn't see any sense in calling them 5th graders or whatever. Their subjects were on different levels. Well really, only LA and Math were considered grade level subjects for us.

If you're looking for a grade level for activities that will have other children, I would go with the grade level that he would be in for public school. That will keep him with age peers.

If you're just looking for what he might be in because of ability, I'm more inclined to look at LA since that affects most other subjects. Math seems to be the variable that is mostly off grade level for kids, IMHO.

Most kids are 5 when they start K, 6 when they are start first grade, 7 when they start second grade and 8 when they start third grade. That's how I assigned my kids to their "grades." They may or may not be doing above grade level work, but I keep them assigned to the appropriate grade for their age.

I voted 4th ... he would be in 3rd grade based on most (all?) state standards but if that is not what you are looking for and following a more rigorous course of study (if he is doing more like 4th grade work) then why not think of him as a 4th grader. At one point (or maybe this is still true) I had heard that at least one state said if you turned "___" by the end of December ... so in your case it would be a grade up from the norm.

If you're looking for a grade level for activities that will have other children, I would go with the grade level that he would be in for public school. That will keep him with age peers.

His little buddy next door turns 9 in July and is a 2nd grader this year. Cut off in our state (Dec.) would have him as a 3rd grader now. It's a rare mom around here who actually sends a boy to K who would not be five until October. So if I went by his peers, he'd be a 3rd grader this fall. If I went by the cut-off, 4th.

If you're just looking for what he might be in because of ability, I'm more inclined to look at LA since that affects most other subjects. Math seems to be the variable that is mostly off grade level for kids, IMHO.

Interesting you should say that. For math, he is a solid 3rd grade and will have no trouble with grade 4 math next year. I'm even including him in his older sister's science studies. Language arts? Not so much. He hates to write. Did I mention he hates to write? :tongue_smilie: (Just to clarify, I do mean specifically writing. His reading level is a non-issue.)

Edited by darlasowders

I voted 3rd and it doesn't matter.

Third because that's the grade he'd be in due to state cut-off. (I know you said it's not about that, but that's how we decided.)...

...And it doesn't matter because he's given the level work he's capable of doing, regardless of the grade level of the material, or the number grade he's in, for that matter. The grade level we've assigned him and his academic course of study are two different matters in my mind.

Cat

My guys like that have been 4th, but for my younger we are thinking about slowing him down. He is now at a Waldorf school that has a June 1 cutoff, but since he transferred in he is a very young 4th grader (he would have been a 3rd grader if he started there). He was a late blooming reader who still doesn't like to write (loves talking). We may move him for 6th to the rigorous school his brother attends and he would repeat 6th in that move. The middle school expects a LOT of writing and maturity with homework and he just won't be ready for that as far as we can imagine. We've been talking a lot about it and he's fine -- he knows he's young for his grade. I wish I'd redshirted him from the beginning.

I have an October birthday child. She will be 5 turning 6 for Kinder, 6 turning 7 for 1st, 7 turning 8 for 2nd, 8 turning 9 for 3rd. So child turning 9 in October would be a third grader in my house.

Same in this house except my October kid is a boy :D. All of my children will be 9 in 3rd grade.... gives them a bit more time to mature and I prefer that now.

he would be a _____ grader. Particularly if following a more rigorous than is typical course of study (Well Trained Mind).

Poll (if I can figure that out) to follow.

Looking strictly for opinions here--not a discussion of state cut-offs.

This is concerning the little guy in my sig (if anyone's curious). :001_smile: He is a bright kid, but a typical hates-to-write boy. :tongue_smilie:

I would follow whatever the state cutoff was, which for us would be 3rd grade the fall he turned 9. (My ds turned 9 and started 4th grade, but that was because the cutoff date in our previous state had him starting earlier.)

This would put him generally with kids his same age and size in activities from church and scouts to sports. The tendency among states is to have kids starting later. Parents tend to be even more conservative, wanting their kid to be among the older and more mature rather than younger and smaller.

It would not restrict me on what I was teaching him at home. I would teach him on his level in various subjects, frequently at a different level in each subject.

I don't see a huge benefit in accelerating the on paper grade level. I can always decide to graduate someone early. But it may look odd or even negative to move them back in the adolescent years.

I'd assign a grade based on age and my state cutoff, and I'd assign work based on ability.

My 6yo isn't really doing any first grade work. I still call her a first grader, though.

:iagree: I call my kids 2nd and 5th. I would call the above child a 3rd grader and assign work at whatever level he or she was ready. And if we were ready to send the kid to college early before 18, I'd make adjustments accordingly at that time (all while kicking and screaming :D).

I'd assign a grade based on age and my state cutoff, and I'd assign work based on ability.

QUOTE]

:iagree: 3rd grade if anybody asks and for sports/activities. Work would be based on ability. My current 3rd grader is working at grade level in Math but 1-2 grades higher in Language Arts. Doesn't matter she's still a 3rd grader.

That would be 3rd in most areas near me. The cut off is often Aug 31. The latest I've heard is Sept 15.

It's Dec. 1 in Michigan. Michigan is one of only about a dozen or so states with cut off dates after my son's birthday--and most parents ignore it and wait until their child is a year older.

http://users.stargate.net/~cokids/kindergarten_cut-off_dates.htm

A bunch of states are not listed, but it's still pretty clear most stated do not think 4 years olds starting K is a good idea.

ETA: I've tentatively decided to consider him a 3rd grader until sometime after next Christmas. Not that it changes anything. :tongue_smilie:

I voted 4th.

My youngest turned 5 in December and is in kindergarten this year. Our cut-off is December 31st, and I wanted to keep him with kids born in the same year as him, for sports and so he doesn't feel older than the other kids in his grade (when he does go to public school).

My son has a.late Sept birthday. He would be in Kindergarten this year by the cutoff, but does all 2nd grade work. His friend ar church are all firat grade, he can do the more advanced theatre class as a first grader. We call him first. We did kindergarten last year.

I voted "other," because it depends on the state you live in.

In California, he would be in fourth grade, as the cut-off date is December 2.

In Texas and Virginia, he'd be in third grade.

Well, I knew what you would say. ;)

He's the same kid no matter what state we live in though. In Michigan, it's Dec. 1, but really no one I know has sent their 4 year old off to K. All day K is so common here now, the cut off date may as well be earlier since parents are largely ignoring it.

Those rare 4 year olds who do go to K (boys and girls alike) are repeating K for reasons having nothing to do with academics. It's tough being the youngest in your class--and in spite of the Dec. cut off, a kiddo with an Oct birthday here would be. He would also be the youngest on pretty much all sports teams.

It's a good thing he's home schooled. He can be 3rd ish or 4th ish grade depending on who asks (and why I think they're asking :tongue_smilie:)

Looking at boxed curriculum (Memoria Press for instance), there's nothing in a 4th grade level he couldn't handle now--except maybe the 4th grade English. Many people do use Rod and Staff a grade level behind. (The grammar would be no problem. I'm not sure how much writing there is.)

Mr. Ellie's bday is September 7. In Texas, he'd have started first grade at 6 and had his 7th bday a month later, but in California, he was 5 and turned 6. So he wasn't 18 until 3 months after he graduated. He did fine; in fact, he was college prep in high school. :-)

You probably also know I'll say this, but I'll say it anyway. :D When required to put something on paper, I always recommend doing the grade the child would be in if he were in school, and then I'd teach him at whatever level he was capable of.

Mr. Ellie's bday is September 7. In Texas, he'd have started first grade at 6 and had his 7th bday a month later, but in California, he was 5 and turned 6. So he wasn't 18 until 3 months after he graduated. He did fine; in fact, he was college prep in high school. :-)

You probably also know I'll say this, but I'll say it anyway. :D When required to put something on paper, I always recommend doing the grade the child would be in if he were in school, and then I'd teach him at whatever level he was capable of.

I'm not required to put anything on paper. I've just been thinking that since the vast majority of his peers are a grade behind him, I may just be a pushy mom. ;)

When we went to school, they had K for about 3 hrs a day. It was no big deal. We colored and played and sang songs. School included a nice long recess, snack and even a nap/quiet time.

I went the year I turned 6 (in Oct.). We were planning a move the year I turned 5, and my mom didn't want me switching schools mid-year, so she waited. (I was more than ready and reading long before school started.) At that time, I was older than the majority of my classmates. This is obviously no longer typical. I know many many moms who waited until their child was 6 to send them to school. I blame all day K and the emphasis on sports (We're rural and have nothing better to do :tongue_smilie:).

Well, I have a summer bday, and both of my dds are May babies, so the whole cut-off thing never was part of my thought processes at all (except for when I started hanging out on the Internet and learned that there are homeschoolers who seem to think that May is a "late" bday :confused: I cannot figure that out at all.).

Well, I have a summer bday, and both of my dds are May babies, so the whole cut-off thing never was part of my thought processes at all (except for when I started hanging out on the Internet and learned that there are homeschoolers who seem to think that May is a "late" bday :confused: I cannot figure that out at all.).

Yeah, that's an odd one. You'd think a May b-day would be pretty obviously in K the year he turns 5 in May (I had a late April baby and it never even crossed my mind to hold him back--and he went to school.). It's just that October (29'th) is a full five months later. That's a big difference to a five year old.

Either way, he'll be doing the same stuff. And quite a bit more writing. ;)

I have a Halloween boy who is 7 and in first grade this year. So, in 2013 when he turns 9, he'll be a 3rd grader.

For this boy, it was definitely the right decision. He was not ready to buckle down at all at 4 or 5 and not much at age 6. He's bright, but waiting to get more serious with him was definitely the right choice. Now, he reads well for a first grader and thinks math is "easy." For his personality, being technically at grade level, but working just a bit ahead in favorite subjects suits him well and gives him confidence. And we have wiggle room to advance more quickly in the future if it becomes more appropriate.

For my older son, if he'd been an October baby, he'd definitely have been a fourth grader by his 9th birthday. So I'd definitely judge primarily by the child in question and not so much the age or birthday.

When required to put something on paper, I always recommend doing the grade the child would be in if he were in school, and then I'd teach him at whatever level he was capable of.

We do this too. We have "change grades" in September based on where they'd be in public school, for the purposes of sports, scouts and Sunday School. But, for the purposes of homeschooling, we advance when appropriate for each child. So far one of mine is on a calendar year schedule and two are loosely on a school year schedule. We also school year round, so that contributes to the ambiguity in grade level at home. Not to mention that we are at different levels in different subjects, based on abilities, so overall, my boys know what grade to answer when they are asked, and then at home they know that we learn what we learn when we learn it. :D

Yeah, that's an odd one. You'd think a May b-day would be pretty obviously in K the year he turns 5 in May (I had a late April baby and it never even crossed my mind to hold him back--and he went to school.). It's just that October (29'th) is a full five months later. That's a big difference to a five year old.

Either way, he'll be doing the same stuff. And quite a bit more writing. ;)

Yes, absolutely, a May bday would "start kindergarten" in the fall at 5 and "first grade" at 6. I used scare quotes because, really, do our homeschooled children have to "start kindergarten" in the fall? Do they even have to "start kindergarten"? Shouldn't they just learn more each year as they mature?

I think a December cut-off is way late, too, but as a homeschooler, it wouldn't bother me in the least to say that my October 29 bday child was "in first grade." :)

My boy has a November birthday and while I started him in K at not-quite-5 because he was reading (CA had a December 2nd cutoff at the time), he wasn't quite ready to move on to 1st grade at not-quite-6. Academically, he was working beyond grade level in almost every subject but the attention span and physical writing ability just wasn't there. He has made a HUGE leap in those areas within the past couple of months so I probably could convince our umbrella school to do a grade skip and put him into 1st officially at this point. However, doing that would run the risk of him not being ready for middle or high school as a youngish-for-grade student.

DD has an October birthday and was not-quite-9 at the beginning of 4th.

BUT, at least in our area in West Michigan, no one starts boys at 4, turning 5 in regular K. If anything,they go to Young 5s and then K the following year. Even boys with April and May birthdays are sometimes not starting K until they are a solid 6 years old.

For me it isn't so much about academic ability (you can teach to his level no matter what you call him) but more about physical and emotional maturity. Statisically, the boys that are young for their grades tend to struggle a lot more than boys that are older for their grade.

I voted 3rd grade, based on experience.

Dd has an early October birthday. She was in ps for K and 1st. Our state cutoff was 9/15. While she's always been one of the older kids, it's made things easier for her, particularly socially.

Younger ds has a late August birthday. We were already hsing by then, and we decided to wait on him. But for various reasons (academics, size, friends), we later opted to skip first grade. Now he's a very young 8th grader.

As he goes through high school and into college, he'll be competing with kids who are at the same grade level but sometimes more than a year older than him. I believe that puts him at a distinct disadvantage. I wish he had another year before beginning high school. (Yes, I know we could wait, or do a gap year, but for now, we're not.) Let's face it, it's natural for us to want our kids to be at the top of their game academically. He and I both will have to work harder to make sure that happens.

I voted 3rd and it doesn't matter.

Third because that's the grade he'd be in due to state cut-off. (I know you said it's not about that, but that's how we decided.)...

...And it doesn't matter because he's given the level work he's capable of doing, regardless of the grade level of the material, or the number grade he's in, for that matter. The grade level we've assigned him and his academic course of study are two different matters in my mind.

Cat

:iagree:

My little guy will be 10 at the end of June, and we call him a 3rd grader. he does work at all levels, and most higher than 3rd grade. We went back and forth because it's June, but he will go to school eventually and he is a youngest child and a boy.

For an October birthday, there would be absolutely no doubt whatsoever that he would be 3rd grade.

I would call him a 3rd grader for whatever social things you need to (like church, scouts, etc.) and for reporting purposes.

But I would teach him at whatever level is appropriate for his ability - 5th grade reading, 3rd grade math, 2nd grade spelling, etc.

Even if I was considering putting him into school at some point, I would rather him be with same-age peers for social reasons than accelerated into a higher grade based on academics. I've had the same thought about my own DS.

• 1 month later...