Menu

What are your families favorite games?

We recently bought Likewise and The Game of Things and love them both! We've played Bubble Talk and it's pretty fun--like Apples to Apples except you choose captions to go with funny/bizarre photos.

We've started playing "Besties" which is just a make-up-your-own-questions version of The Newlywed Game except with 2-person teams of friends and family. lol

For a longer, cooperative game, we like Pandemic! We're looking forward to getting Forbidden Island and The Resistance, too.

For how many people?

For just the 3 of us:

Pirates of the Caribbean Life (Indy loves this game)

Indiana Jones Monopoly (obviously!)

Blokus

Carcosonne

Sequence

Set (I don't like this one though-probably because I stink at it)

Left Center Right (RIDICULOUSLY easy and so fun-also cheap $6.99) this can be played with a bunch of people too

For groups of 6 or more:

Gestetures (sp?)

Pictionary

Scattergories

Phase 10

Five Crowns

Apples to Apples

Sequence. Zee got it as a gift from his papa for Christmas, and it's been played almost every day since. Fun for kids and adults. Moose is just a tad too young at 6, but Zee is a formidable opponent at almost 9.

We got Sequence for Christmas too!! My oldest has just turn 6 though, so he is playing the "basics" without yet grasping all the blocking strategies...but I think it is an awesome game!! :)

We got Sequence for Christmas too!! My oldest has just turn 6 though, so he is playing the "basics" without yet grasping all the blocking strategies...but I think it is an awesome game!! :)

I'm reeeeeeally not a board game person, so the fact that I love to play Sequence is saying a lot. We usually play it three times every evening, after dinner. It's our family bonding time. :001_smile:

Does anyone like Dutch Blitz? Would that be good for 6 adults to play?

You could play it with six if you used six different styles of playing cards, but the Dutch Blitz game is only for 4. We play a lot of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Shadows Over Camelot, and Spades with both kids and adults. The kids like Charades for Kids, Clue Jr., Forbidden Island and Dutch Blitz right now.

For how many people?

For just the 3 of us:

Set (I don't like this one though-probably because I stink at it)

Heh. I was going to say almost exactly this. SET is a great game, but my ego just can't take the constant drubbing. Oddly, it isn't much fun to sit silently while somebody else yells, "Set. Set! SET!" until he wins. Again. :)

Our family is in a Killer Bunnies phase right now. It's rather ridiculous, but it is entertaining (besides, I have to get behind a game that uses the words "congenial" and "irascible" and employs a kitchen whisk as a weapon).

2-player games

Archaeology (will work for more)

Pick and Pack

Lost Cities

Biblios (will work for more)

Crokinole

For Sale (will work for more, good for groups who feel intimidated by games)

Games with Kids

Flash Point (cooperative, fire-fighting/rescue 9+)

Pandemic (cooperative, disease curing 9+)

Zooloretto (zoo building 7+)

The Adventurers (like the first 10m of Indiana Jones 8+)

Ascending Empires (flicking, colonizing planets 9+)

Bohnanza (fun, easy trading and collecting game 7+)

Ice Flow (getting backpackers across the Bering Strait 10+)

Ticket to Ride (set building to pay for tracks 6-7+)

Party Games for a Crowd

Dixit (very artistic, but hard for kids below 10/12)

Wits and Wagers (betting/trivia game)

Faces (a lot like Apples to Apples)

Pit (trading, very non-threatening)

Bang! (spaghetti western)

Incan Gold (press your luck, treasure hunting)

Saboteur (cooperative tunnel building/treasure hunt with a secret saboteur)

A Bit More Complex or Strategic

Thebes (archaeology)

Agricola (farming during the Middle Ages)

Stone Age (civilization building)

Blokus Trigon or Ubongo (puzzle/shape games)

Samurai (area control)

Alien Frontiers (dice game, colonization)

Space Alert (a cool RPG-like cooperative where everyone tries to survive space battles by negotiating and splitting up ship duties)

My husband collects board games and these are our current favorites (although the boys like Pokemon and Killer Rabbits too). I could get it down to 2-4 choices if that's more helpful, but I like certain games in certain situations.

We are absolutely obsessed with Settlers of Catan. You need the extension pack to play with 6 players. I even told my 14yo he didn't have to do grammar last Tuesday afternoon so we could all play....:leaving:

Others we enjoy:

Quirkle

Blokus

Othello (2 players only)

Scrabble

Rook

My teens and I decided that there is a special level of Dante's Inferno that involves playing Candyland, Hi Ho Cherrio, and Chutes & Ladders for eternity....

Ahh, I thought of one more family favorite -- Fluxx. Fluxx is accurately described as a game with constantly changing rules; our experience has been that people seem either to really like it or to dislike it! There are also themed variants such as Zombie, Pirate, Monty Python, Eco, Family, and Martian Fluxx.

Regards,

Kareni

Another Settlers of Catan fan. We got it for Christmas, and it is the most highly request game of all members of the family. My 5 year old has even learned to play, and can play on his own now (he even beats the rest of us at times). I never thought it would be as huge of a hit as it is, but it is surely a family favorite!

We are big fan of the European Games. Favorites around here are:

Settlers of Catan

Puerto Rico

Thurns and Taxis

Hansa Tuetonica

Dominion

Agricola

Carcassone (although this isn't played as much because it's pretty easy in comparison to some of the above. We like complex strategy games)

I know we have others but those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

Favorites around here are:

Settlers of Catan

Puerto Rico

Thurns and Taxis

Hansa Tuetonica

Dominion

Agricola

Carcassone (although this isn't played as much because it's pretty easy in comparison to some of the above. We like complex strategy games)

Thank you for posting, especially the comment about Carcassone. We enjoy that game and would like something more challenging. I'll have to check out the other games on your list.

Does anyone like Dutch Blitz? Would that be good for 6 adults to play?

Dutch Blitz is really amazing to play especially with competitive players. With six it may just get too frantic. But it's cheap, so why not try it?

Other games we like.

Honor of the Samurai

Trans America

Five Crowns

Mahjong

Sorry

Scrabble

Uno

~Moira

Edited by Moira in MA

Catan, Up and Down the River (a card game), and Dutch Blitz. We often played Dutch Blitz with our family of 7, but you need two decks to do it, and one deck will need to be marked with a small "x" or something. (So that one person has all the red cards, but another has all the red cards with the "x," for example.)

Catan, Up and Down the River (a card game), and Dutch Blitz. We often played Dutch Blitz with our family of 7, but you need two decks to do it, and one deck will need to be marked with a small "x" or something. (So that one person has all the red cards, but another has all the red cards with the "x," for example.)

I've never heard of anyone else playing Up and Down the River. We played that with my grandparents a lot.