Menu

When househunting, which do you prefer?

When viewing houses to rent or purchase, which do you prefer?  

1. 1. When viewing houses to rent or purchase, which do you prefer?

• empty
    • furnished (decluttered and clean as a whistle, of course)

And I voted furnished, just to take the other POV. :D

Statistically, furnished homes sell more quickly than empty ones. The house we own now was empty for at least nine months. It's a beautiful home. We figure God was saving it for us, as when it went on the market we weren't EVEN thinking about moving to Texas, lol.

Aren't they supposed to be pretty minimalistic, ideally?

you might search stage home for quick sell.

I know how it's supposed to look. I swear I've got some episodes of Designed to Sell and Get It Sold memorized. :tongue_smilie: The problem is keeping it up. When you empty a house, that's it. You empty it, clean it and walk away, taking the people who undo your cleaning in 5.6 seconds flat. :lol: I'm sure I can do it, but if it's just the same to buyers, I'd prefer to choose the easy path.:tongue_smilie:

I know how it's supposed to look. I swear I've got some episodes of Designed to Sell and Get It Sold memorized. :tongue_smilie: The problem is keeping it up. When you empty a house, that's it. You empty it, clean it and walk away, taking the people who undo your cleaning in 5.6 seconds flat. :lol: I'm sure I can do it, but if it's just the same to buyers, I'd prefer to choose the easy path.:tongue_smilie:

I am going to point out here that when more than a few WTM-ers looked at the online photos of my house (which is on the market) I heard quite a few: it's stark, it looks cold. :001_huh:

:001_huh:I think that it is a matter of preference and we cannot please everyone -- personally - I think that LESS is more.

Statistically, furnished homes sell more quickly than empty ones. The house we own now was empty for at least nine months. It's a beautiful home. We figure God was saving it for us, as when it went on the market we weren't EVEN thinking about moving to Texas, lol.

You are bumming me out. :lol:

I voted furnished. It gives me a better idea about how big the rooms are. It's hard to imagine how well your sofas will fit if the room is completely empty. If there is a sofa there already, then I can imagine the space better with my own furniture.

Well, you bring up an interesting problem, which is that I hate my living room. :lol: There is only one long wall suitable for a couch and we had no choice but to put our tv/bookshelf combo there. So, I've spent years moving the furniture around trying to find an arrangement I love. It's a joke with my friends, actually. When people visit, the furniture is never in the same place as it was the last time they were here. If someone doesn't have a massive tv/bookshelf combo, that wall is perfect for a couch, so I think viewing it empty would probably make most people think it's laid out better than it actually is.

I could have DH take the kids to work with him every day. That would go great! :tongue_smilie:

I voted empty because I like the clean look and don't feel like the seller is trying to trick me by camouflaging flaws with pretty decorating. I also have no trouble visualizing scale and space.

That said, can you split the difference? Do you have friends who could loan you a few 'show' pieces if you're not comfortable with it empty? People have stuff in their basements just sitting there. If a friend asked me, I have a dinette set, twin bed, and leather chair that I could easily part with for a few months and I'm just one person. I even have some spare sheets, towels, and dishes. It would be much easier to pack up your place and be done with it. In the end you spend half a day returning borrowed items instead of weeks or months trying to live in a showplace.

I didn't vote because it really sort of depends.

We sold our house about a year ago. When a realtor was walking through it, giving us advice on what to do to help it sell, she gave me all sorts of good advice. But when she heard that we were going to move soon whether the house sold or not, she told me that my house would definitely sell better empty. Thanks. I'm not sure what she meant. But it didn't feel like a compliment on my decorating style or taste in furniture.

We did move out before putting it on the market and an almost identical house in our neighborhood went on the market the exact same day. Ours sold first. Whether it's because it was an empty house or not, I don't know.

I do think homeschooling and keeping a house look perfect is nearly impossible.

EUREKA!!!!! You have found the solution.

DH proposed another solution. He has a good friend here who is a geographical bachelor (which is military speak for married but his spouse is not living at his duty station) who lives in a sweet RV on post (DH's dream machine, that thing). It has been proposed that we clean the house up and let the friend (a tidy fellow) live here while our family of 5 (7, including pets) moves into the RV. I think that is CRAZY. Crazier than showing an empty house, anyway. :lol:

I DO like to be able to see behind furniture and things hanging on walls, however. We once bought a house and didn't look behind furniture and hanging photos. Turned out there were a couple of holes in the sheetrock. :glare:

Yes, this is another reason I like to see empty houses. Because you are looking at the house. Period. Just the house, making it easier to see flaws.

I voted empty because I like the clean look and don't feel like the seller is trying to trick me by camouflaging flaws with pretty decorating. I also have no trouble visualizing scale and space.

That said, can you split the difference? Do you have friends who could loan you a few 'show' pieces if you're not comfortable with it empty? People have stuff in their basements just sitting there. If a friend asked me, I have a dinette set, twin bed, and leather chair that I could easily part with for a few months and I'm just one person. I even have some spare sheets, towels, and dishes. It would be much easier to pack up your place and be done with it. In the end you spend half a day returning borrowed items instead of weeks or months trying to live in a showplace.

All of our other furniture is nice enough to keep here, and we could do a partial DITY (seriously considering this). Let the Army come get 50% of the furniture and 75% of the rest of it and live sparsely for a while. If worse comes to worse, we could just rent some nice LR furniture instead of buying new stuff before we move. I would like to get transportation here to estimate our weight. That would help. If I knew we were not going to go over our allowance, I would absolutely consider buying new LR furniture now, for showings.

I didn't vote because it really sort of depends.

We sold our house about a year ago. When a realtor was walking through it, giving us advice on what to do to help it sell, she gave me all sorts of good advice. But when she heard that we were going to move soon whether the house sold or not, she told me that my house would definitely sell better empty. Thanks. I'm not sure what she meant. But it didn't feel like a compliment on my decorating style or taste in furniture.

We did move out before putting it on the market and an almost identical house in our neighborhood went on the market the exact same day. Ours sold first. Whether it's because it was an empty house or not, I don't know.

I do think homeschooling and keeping a house look perfect is nearly impossible.

Yes, to the bolded! :lol: on your story.

I know people say you're supposed to stage your house, but the two homes we've purchased have been empty. We probably would've bought the houses if they were furnished, but they weren't. I will recommend that you don't hang around during the showing and cook Chinese food and it wouldn't hurt if you made sure the toilets were flushed (we definitely didn't buy their house :ack2:).

I don't think correlation is causation. Homes that are empty may be so because the house wasn't selling when furnished so the family must move for work or financial reasons. The time lag may show up as the home taking longer to sale as opposed to not being to a buyer's taste when furnished, then finally selling once empty.

I voted empty because I've seen homes "staged" and really not liked the decor. I can see better that I just need to replace the floral wallpaper, when I'm not distracted by the floral valences, couch, and pillows. I also like opening cabinets and closets and feel uncomfortable peeking at people's personal objects.

I don't think correlation is causation. Homes that are empty may be so because the house wasn't selling when furnished so the family must move for work or financial reasons. The time lag may show up as the home taking longer to sale as opposed to not being to a buyer's taste when furnished, then finally selling once empty.

I voted empty because I've seen homes "staged" and really not liked the decor. I can see better that I just need to replace the floral wallpaper, when I'm not distracted by the floral valences, couch, and pillows. I also like opening cabinets and closets and feel uncomfortable peeking at people's personal objects.

Interesting. I agree about feeling uncomfortable opening up other people's cupboards. They feel private to me and it seems intrusive. As you can probably guess, I'm hoping unfurnished runs away with the vote. :D

See! Now that is precisely the kind of thing I'm worried about! :lol: Well, that and aim, if you catch my drift. :glare:

We had a prospective buyer here 10 days ago who was in the house with the agent for more than an hour, was supposed to come back for a 2nd showing (but cancelled) and HE DIDN'T AIM....WELL.:angry:

I've always heard that furnished houses sell better than unfurnished houses. This must be true because new housing developments always furnish their model homes.

I can see how a minimally furnished show home can be attractive to potential buyers. They're selling newness and style. I can even imagine achieving that look in this house if the kids were at school for 7-8 hours a day (and I go ahead with the purchase of new LR furniture). I'm just afraid of the reality since the kids and I are here pretty much 24/7. Maybe we will do park school until the move, as soon as Spring arrives.

We had a prospective buyer here 10 days ago who was in the house with the agent for more than an hour, was supposed to come back for a 2nd showing (but cancelled) and HE DIDN'T AIM....WELL.:angry:

That would make me furious! I've got enough problems without the contribution of househunters.

I prefer empty if I don't like the PO's furniture. By that I mean not just style, but scale and arrangement. If the furniture is arranged well and looks nice in the room, I think it can be an asset. Unfortunately, IME that isn't necessarily common.

I don't usually mind an empty house, personally. However, I agree that realtors usually do not recommend selling with the house empty.

WHen we sold our last house we moved out first because we had a newborn and I didn't want to show the house while we were living there. We were going to pay for some minimal furnishings and some staging, but we got an offer really quickly (2 weeks on the market) and never had to take it that far.

If well done, I think the furnishings are an asset. Unfortunately, sometimes I think they detract, and in that case, I'd prefer empty. How's that for confusing :tongue_smilie:

eta: when we were house hunting last year, I was amazed at the number of people that had heavy, light-blocking, dated drapery hanging. There were times I had DH and the realtor hold back the window treatments (so they were far away from the window) just so I could get a read on how much natural light was there. There were some houses that felt so dark but hanging the treatments high and wide would have really let a lot more light in.

Edited by Momof3littles

I tend to lean towards an empty house for all the reasons stated and the fact that one's own 'style and furnishing tastes' would not conflict with a buyer, a buyer who might not be able to get beyond style differences.

Personally, the curb appeal sets the stage. If the buyer's initial impression of the home outside matches the asking 'price' and then the interior fits with this mental image, whether it is furnished or not, are keys. Also think that with an empty house, those that are interested in doing any renovations can make that assessment more easily. An empty house says 'I am ready to move-in"!

Oh I just remembered. Before we moved out and before we put the house on the market, I cleaned each room of the house room by room and staged it so it had furniture, but just the right amount of furniture. No clutter. Then I took a picture of that room. This took a couple of weeks. Then I forwarded the pics to the realtor who then put the pics on the website. Then we moved out. So, people could see what it looked like with furniture in the pics, but they could walk into an empty house and picture their own furniture. Best of both worlds!

Well, when I'm serious about buying a house, I prefer empty but for an entirely different reason.

When a house is empty that often can mean the seller has moved on already and (usually) is more eager to "get rid of" the house. Most people don't like holding two mortgages and few can afford to. This would make them more willing to consider a lower offer or come down from their inflated asking price.

I'm not a low-baller by any means but last time we were house shopping there were a disproportionate number of homes for sale that were people simply "testing the market" to see what they could get for their home. Empty usually means people are serious about selling and not just about what money they can get out of it.

Of course, as a seller, I can see how being empty can work to ones disadvantage. You did ask for a buyer's perspective though. :D

Oh I just remembered. Before we moved out and before we put the house on the market, I cleaned each room of the house room by room and staged it so it had furniture, but just the right amount of furniture. No clutter. Then I took a picture of that room. This took a couple of weeks. Then I forwarded the pics to the realtor who then put the pics on the website. Then we moved out. So, people could see what it looked like with furniture in the pics, but they could walk into an empty house and picture their own furniture. Best of both worlds!

Oooh! Smart!

Well, when I'm serious about buying a house, I prefer empty but for an entirely different reason.

When a house is empty that often can mean the seller has moved on already and (usually) is more eager to "get rid of" the house. Most people don't like holding two mortgages and few can afford to. This would make them more willing to consider a lower offer or come down from their inflated asking price.

I'm not a low-baller by any means but last time we were house shopping there were a disproportionate number of homes for sale that were people simply "testing the market" to see what they could get for their home. Empty usually means people are serious about selling and not just about what money they can get out of it.

Of course, as a seller, I can see how being empty can work to ones disadvantage. You did ask for a buyer's perspective though. :D

It's good to have that perspective. Thankfully, we bought this house well below our means (7 years ago, and our means have roughly doubled since then) so luckily we can afford to hold onto it until we get a reasonable offer. I have no plans to test the market or inflate the price though. I just want what is fair. I will admit that when I see low-ball offers to people who are in a must-sell position, it makes me sad. I'm glad to hear you don't do it. :)

I prefer some furniture. A few pieces in each room and little or no clutter. It helps me to get a better feel for room sizes and how things will fit.

The house were in now was empty when we looked at it. It was very hard to judge whether or not our living room furniture would fit since we have a large sectional.

When I sold our house, I had one infant and one toddler (not an easy way to keep a house "ready"). My neighborhood was an empty nester neighborhood, so I knew the children's things would be a real turnoff.

I staged the house and moved in with my mother. Dh stayed there all week long and I came home on the weekends and didn't allow showings.

Once the house was under contract, I moved back in.

Interestingly enough, a week after we moved back in, the house was a mess (dishes, laundry, toys everywhere), some people were driving by and wanted to see the house immediately. I let them, they made a higher offer that night and they actually got the house when the first contract fell through.

But it was nice to have the house on the market and be "stress free" while being elsewhere.

Oh I prefer to see a house empty so I can poke around guilt free, but I also tend to think about lowballing.

When I sold our house, I had one infant and one toddler (not an easy way to keep a house "ready"). My neighborhood was an empty nester neighborhood, so I knew the children's things would be a real turnoff.

I staged the house and moved in with my mother. Dh stayed there all week long and I came home on the weekends and didn't allow showings.

Once the house was under contract, I moved back in.

Interestingly enough, a week after we moved back in, the house was a mess (dishes, laundry, toys everywhere), some people were driving by and wanted to see the house immediately. I let them, they made a higher offer that night and they actually got the house when the first contract fell through.

But it was nice to have the house on the market and be "stress free" while being elsewhere.

Oh I prefer to see a house empty so I can poke around guilt free, but I also tend to think about lowballing.

I could get the house staged perfectly and take the kids to visit family. It's just rotten because my family drives me nuts and DH has been home from Iraq for less than 2 months. I hate to separate the kids and DH unless it's imperative. Frankly, I would rather try to sell an empty house. We do still have the option of renting it out, but I would rather make a clean break, as I worry so much about damage.

All of you who said you have purchased empty house(s) are making me happy. :D

We have bought 3 unfurnished houses - once the seller has moved out their is more of an urgency for them to sell. And, not only do we get a fabulous price, but typically get everything from the inspection taken care of. Each home we paid significantly less than the furnished homes selling on the street (1 1/2 years ago paid $75,000 less than 2 houses down and that house was furnished like a model home).

To help with clutter, I had small laundry baskets in most rooms for quickly tidying up and carrying to car Worked great and the kids helped and knew their jobs!

The biggest comparison I can make - go into a model home where it's decorated so beautifully. Then go into the same house that is finished but not decorated at all. One feels warm and cozy and the other feels cold and lifeless. Or at least it does to me. In fact, going to model homes in your area might give you some ideas.

I also think rooms look smaller when there is no furniture in them. And sometimes it's hard to imagine how you would put your furniture when it's empty.

I do think it's important to declutter everything and get rid of extra furniture - put it into storage or what have you.

A good realtor should be able to help you "stage" your home. Actually, a couple doors down from us, someone has been trying to sell their house for a year. It was a divorce situation and the husband wasn't all that eager to sell, so he just kept his house the way it normally was. After it didn't sell for a year, they decided they really just needed to do it. Hired a different realtor - the realtor "staged" the home and it sold almost immediately.

Well, I know it isn't what you want to hear, but I agree with the thoughts below.

I voted furnished. It gives me a better idea about how big the rooms are. It's hard to imagine how well your sofas will fit if the room is completely empty. If there is a sofa there already, then I can imagine the space better with my own furniture.

I think you are better off furnished. That is why model homes spend all kinds of money putting furniture, pictures on walls, etc. Otherwise they would just let everyone walk through an empty house. When we sold our last house, the realtor wanted us to leave it furnished until after closing and then pack up and move in 24 hours. Just in case the buyers fell through.

I would go ahead and box stuff that isn't essential. Kids can get by on a few toys for awhile. Pack all the but a few clothes. Pack extra dishes. That way, you won't have as much to clean when it is showing.

I hate trying to sell a house with kids and pets. It is so stressful.

I voted empty. Every house we've ever bought has been unoccupied, only one had any furniture (they had staged the last one.) I, personally, don't like seeing other peoples things as it makes it hard to imagine it as "my" house. Seeing the room open also gives me a chance to visualize where I would put our furniture. Also, I just don't like to think of anyone living in a house before me LOL so an unoccupied one makes it easier to pretend you were the first owner.

Oh my goodness, I could have written this! Our current home was on the market for a year. It was furnished, but no one had lived in it for months. We also weren't even thinking of moving, but after I saw it on the internet, I was able to convince dh to consider moving "in a few years," dragged him to this house, and we moved within a few months. God was definitely saving this one for us too.:D

I'm voting for furnished here. While people would like to envision their own style in a house, and decorating styles may turn off some buyers, furniture arrangement does lend itself to showing room size.

We've been house hunting this week! And, I much prefer empty.

We saw two houses staged, and 2 empty. The two that were staged, I was completely distracted by the personality of the owner which was apparent in the staging: 1. cramped & cluttered cat-lady type house-- could not picture it with our stuff in it or what our life might be like there 2. fancy shmancy staging with crystal & china on the table, cut flowers in tall vases everywhere, looking like a museum-- could not imagine who lived like this, especially as they had a baby room upstairs-- I could not imagine our family living there, although in other respects it was what we wanted.

Both just felt wrong to me, and I don't know whether it was the decor or whether there was something about these houses that did not meet my criteria. I just wish I could have seen them empty.

I know-- I ought to be less emotional about it, but I can't!