Menu

s/o What Book/s did you consider a waste of your time?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously.

I didn't mind that one, but her second memoir was dreadful. Half boring stories of learning to butcher meat, half smug justifications of why it was really ok for her to cheat on her husband. Ick.

I quite liked the first two Dragon Tattoo books, but the third one was beyond tedious. Meetings and liverpaste sandwiches. And the male protagonist is such a Gary Stu I found myself hoping he'd turn out to be the villain, just to make him slightly more interesting.

I admire those of you who finish books you don't like, just because you are in a book club. I abandon the book, and then skip the group. I miss my friends, but just can't make it through some books. :tongue_smilie:

I used to read book club books, mainly because I bought them & figured I'd better read them. We got on a streak of lots of bad ones (imo) & I was upset at all the money (& time) I wasted.

These days, I ditch books if I don't like them. If it's a book club book, I don't read it & still go to the meeting (to eat & gab w/ friends :lol:). Oh, and I use the library almost exclusively now, rather than buying books.

Twilight Series - I only read (mostly skimmed) these books so I could tell my older dds why they couldn't read them. I think they were awful - especially the last one.

Atlas Shrugged - I just read this. It may have had some value in the ideas, but constantly reading about how beautiful Dagny was and how all the men desired her got old REALLY fast. I had a very hard time finishing it.

I used to feel I had to finish a book if I started it. I have gotten over that.

Recently I tried the audio version of The Bourne Identity. I loved the movies so I thought I'd give the book a try, but after a couple hours I decided didn't enjoy the book nearly so much. But now I wonder if the movie producers made Bourne a more likeable hero than the books did.

Yes, that is one series where the movies are better than the books. Although my DH says that the writer that took over the series when Robert Ludlum died (Eric van Lustbader) is a much better writer.

Daniel Deronda by George Eliot. Cannot. Get. Through. It. I read Middlemarch once and I'm trying to get through it again, and seriously. The chick just needed a good editor to reign in her meanderings.

I would agree with Twilight though I'll admit to reading the whole series and seeing all the movies so far (albeit with my sister, and we made snarky comments and laughed in all the wrong places). I think the premise is somewhat interesting, but the heroine is a deplorable example to teen girls everywhere and the writing :svengo: don't even get me started.

Darcy's Voyage by Kara Louise. . . just don't go there. Don't. I can't even believe I forced myself to finish the whole thing (it was a Kindle freebie, don't judge me). Oh and The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klaasken. A friend of mine gushed about it and said I needed to read it, and it was like reading a plagiarism of several of Jane Austen's novels.

I can't believe some of you hate books I love!!!!

Anyhoo, books I hated:

Outlander! Ack, squick! I read the first 3 books hoping it would get better, but it just didn't.

Snobbery With Violence

Julie and Julia OMG, Just shut up and stop your b!tching! What a waste of my time. It did however lead me to Julia Child's book My Life in France, which I loved.

Yes, that is one series where the movies are better than the books. Although my DH says that the writer that took over the series when Robert Ludlum died (Eric van Lustbader) is a much better writer.

Thanks--I feel better about letting that one go. :001_smile:

I know I'm the only one, but I HATED The Time Traveler's Wife - I actually liked it until I got to the ending, but honestly that was such a horrible ending it put me off the whole thing.

Oh. I'm so glad someone else hated that book besides me!!! I read this for a book club and hated it and like you, TOTALLY hated the ending!

Agreeing with those who hated Kite Runner. That was another one that I was forced to read for book club.

Right now I'm reading Atlas Shrugged. It's one of those books that I'd frequently hear referred to, so it went on my to-be-read-someday list years ago. Then my niece lent it to me. I'm hating it. In fact, I stopped reading it for several weeks and then a newspaper article referrred to John Galt, and I was like, hey, I know who they are talking about. So, I'm giving the book another try. But I'm not enjoying it. I find that there is no single likeable character. Not liking it at all. It is an academic exercise for me.

That's how I feel about Madame Bovary! ACK!

I only read the first Twilight book- that was enough for me.

I started reading The Book Thief because people raved about it, but I couldn't even get through 50 pages.

Book Thief badly disappointed me too.

Oh and Madame Bovary gives me nightmares of the only English class I didn't like.

Atlas Shrugged - I just read this. It may have had some value in the ideas, but constantly reading about how beautiful Dagny was and how all the men desired her got old REALLY fast. I had a very hard time finishing it.

Yes!!! And she is so totally out of touch with her emotions. "She didn't understand what she felt, she just felt it." over and over and over...

The Twilight series. I was thisclose to throwing the book across the room if I had to read the phrase "Edward's perfect face" AGAIN.

The sequel to Gone With the Wind, which was written by a different author, was awful. Other than the names of the characters, nothing was the same and seemed to exist only to give Scarlett a happy ending after 500 pages of carp.

Any Thomas Hardy novel. They are the most boring books ever. I was forced to read The Return of the Native, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and The Mayor of Casterbridge one year in high school English. I still have bad memories.

I hated Madame Bovary, too, but I think I only got halfway through it.

George R.R. Martin's Fire and Ice series. I really enjoyed the first couple, but became progressively disenchanted. I quit reading after the third or fourth book because he ruined my favorite character.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo....yes, I ready all 3....yes, it was a waste of time.

I threw a few books I hated across the room.....and can't remember their titles. I try to forget as quick as possible. Oh,

The Mary Queen of Scots book, by Phillippa Gregory....blah and drivel.

Faithe

Yes! I read that book because I love historical fiction and it was highly recommended. Now I can't bring myself to read anything else by her because I was so disappointed!

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold---I just couldn't get into it, I didn't care about any of the characters as they all seemed so one-dimensional.

I don't remember the name of the other one, but it was about something in Africa (I think) and there were no "he said/she said" markings at all. It is fine if only 2 people are speaking to each other because I can figure it out, but some parts of the book had conversations between 3 or 4 people and I couldn't figure out who was saying what and just gave up.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad---only about 100 pgs, but dull as can be.

Read "American Gods." It's a different creature altogether. I really liked it...actually, and I'm probably in the minority here, I think "American Gods" is my favorite Gaiman novel.

High praise! You'd better be right, or my vengeful emoticon will stick out its simulated-tongue pixels at you.

I thought of another book that wasted my time: "Dearly Devoted Dexter". I got about five pages in before I just couldn't continue. From what I've read, "Dexter In The Dark" is even more awful.

Maybe I'm a sap, but I haven't liked ANY of Nicholas Sparks' books....I've read 2 or 3...they always end SAD.

100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez .....blech....read it in both English and Spanish....awful in both....such despair, no hope.

My book club is GREAT !! We're only reading Austen and it's been so much fun. I've never been in a book club before so I'm jazzed. So far, we've read and discussed : Persuasion, S &S and Mansfield Park (that was the hardest to slog thru). This month, we're doing P&P. Can't wait.

Edited by JVA

The second Bridget Jones Diary book.

The Bridges of Madison County.

Anything by Dan Brown - can't stand his writing. I have made a few attempts but have just written him off.

For classics, I think Lord of the Flies has to be my most painful book-reading memory. 10th grade English - blech!

Also, I have tried to read Tale of Two Cities on more than one occasion and I hate it. I always quit pretty quickly.

I can't believe some of you hate books I love!!!!

Anyhoo, books I hated:

Outlander! Ack, squick! I read the first 3 books hoping it would get better, but it just didn't.

Snobbery With Violence

Julie and Julia OMG, Just shut up and stop your b!tching! What a waste of my time. It did however lead me to Julia Child's book My Life in France, which I loved.

I'm reading the third one right now, but ONLY because my sister gave it to me for Christmas. I would have stopped after the second. This will be the last.

One for me was The Long Song. I gave up after about 2 chapters. I found it grotesque, I didn't like anything about any of the characters (well, maybe I liked the daughter's name - July), I didn't like the writing style. I had no idea where the story was going but it was annoying and depressing.

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold---I just couldn't get into it, I didn't care about any of the characters as they all seemed so one-dimensional.

I don't remember the name of the other one, but it was about something in Africa (I think) and there were no "he said/she said" markings at all. It is fine if only 2 people are speaking to each other because I can figure it out, but some parts of the book had conversations between 3 or 4 people and I couldn't figure out who was saying what and just gave up.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad---only about 100 pgs, but dull as can be.

I wonder if it was "Cry, Beloved Country" where the pastor dad goes to Johannesburg to look for his wayward son? The book is terribly awkward to read, but I listened to it on audio and it was wonderful. The movie adaptation with James Earl Jones and Richard Harris is just lovely too.

I agree, no grammatical markings is annoying and gimmicky.

Funny how many people brought up Madame Bovary.

I HATED that in high school :lol:, and found it no better when I actually read it fully with more concentration for the next occasion, but in retrospect, I am actually glad I have read it, because I feel it did give me an important piece of the puzzle of literary landscape, so in that sense, I am not sure I would consider it a "pure" waste of time.

From my previous list, Faulkner probably gets the same treatment, too. Not my thing at all, but still in some ways glad to have read him.

Some other things from the list, though, are what I consider "pure" waste of time, in that I would not consider myself the least bit less educated or having missed anything if I had not read those.

As for literary 'classics', I've read Billy Bud thrice, hoping to glean something: once as a teen, in a college class (almost cried), and tried again when I was 33. No. Go. I've only myself to blame. However, is it wasted time? Well, it's nothing compared to the time I've wast... spent here, with you nice folks. :)

I'll agree on The Shack. Yuck.

Most coma-inducing book club read was The Bookshop. It was short, but seemed interminable.

From high school:

A Separate Peace was a big snooze

Someone else's list reminded me of Billy Budd :ack2:

And my all-time most-hated book: Catcher in the Rye.

I have never read Twilight, Outlander, or the Dragon Tattoo books, as I can tell from afar that they are not my cuppa.

High praise! You'd better be right, or my vengeful emoticon will stick out its simulated-tongue pixels at you.

I guess I'll have take my chances. :lol: I also really liked "Anansi Boys," but I've never heard anyone talk about it.

It's funny how people's taste in books differ. So little love for the Outlander series...I love those!