Menu

Things you make yourself that most people buy?

Soap, laundry soap, bread, cheese, yogurt, bath bombs, perfume, household cleaners, toothpaste bath, lard(oh wait, most people don't buy that do they?) shampoo, conditioner, lotion, fudge, ice-cream caramel....I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Tell me more about your bath bombs and toothpaste?

laundry soap

bath soap

dishwasher detergent

yogurt

candles

used to make dog food, baby wipes

apple cider vinegar

we use baking soda and vinegar for cleaners and the soda for toothpaste and shampoo

we harvest honey from our hives, milk our goats and have chickens :D

Baby food, most breads, pizza, tutus (as in dress-up clothes), bubble solution, premade mixes like my own biscuits, pasta, brownies, etc to store in zip bags and shorten prep time. Oh, and chicken nuggets.

I also do a homemade version of Hamburger Helper because DH loves it. I think that's pretty odd as most people who cook meals from scratch seem to want to get away from Hamburger Helper!

Tortillas, refried beans, laundry detergent, and as of this week, cough syrup and body wash!

Cough syrup?!! What's your recipe for that?

We brought a foster dog home last week with kennel cough. Cured it with honey, lemon juice, and one other thing I can't remember. (Oh, my kingdom for a memory!)

Ok, I'll admit it. When I saw this thread, I was going to post -- as a joke -- that I made my own toilet paper.

And then I read all of the responses.

I know that saving the environment is a good thing, but I have to tell you that the idea of reusable cloth tp is not something I would be willing to even remotely consider. (And before someone points out that it's no different than using cloth diapers, I should mention that I didn't use those, either. :tongue_smilie:)

But I do make some things --- mostly baked goods. Mostly from a mix, but I combine all the stuff in the bowl, mix it up, and bake it in the oven, so it sort of counts, right? ;)

Oh yeah, and I also make Belgian waffles. You know, with Bisquick, because the recipe is right there on the box. :rolleyes: But they taste good and my family thinks I'm a regular Julia Child when I make them. :D

But the tp thing? Not happening.

Edited by Catwoman

Bread, pizza, desserts, homemade cleaner, refried beans, tortillas.

DH has made chocolate syrup, pumpkin spice syrup for espressos, and pudding.

How do you make pumpkin spice syrup? I love pumpkin spice coffee! (If it's really complicated or takes a long time to do, feel free to tell me it is beyond my skills and way beyond my attention span. ;))

I feel so clueless. I had no idea people made their own pumpkin spice syrup. I thought all of the coffee syrups came in bottles that you buy at the store. It would never dawn on me to try to make my own.

But I might be willing to give it a try for pumpkin spice.

How do you make pumpkin spice syrup? I love pumpkin spice coffee! (If it's really complicated or takes a long time to do, feel free to tell me it is beyond my skills and way beyond my attention span. ;))

I feel so clueless. I had no idea people made their own pumpkin spice syrup. I thought all of the coffee syrups came in bottles that you buy at the store. It would never dawn on me to try to make my own.

But I might be willing to give it a try for pumpkin spice.

DH says it's beyond your skills. :D Just kidding. He said the recipes he tried weren't good. He was able to improve upon them but it's not there yet and he has no recipe. He's not currently working on it because we aren't buying milk anymore. Sorry.

DH says it's beyond your skills. :D Just kidding. He said the recipes he tried weren't good. He was able to improve upon them but it's not there yet and he has no recipe. He's not currently working on it because we aren't buying milk anymore. Sorry.

That's OK. If he even sort of knows what he's doing and still can't get it right, it's definitely beyond my skills! :D

pizza / calzones

hamburg buns

sweet pickles*

sweet pickle relish*

plum jam

plum sauce

ketchup

sweet chili sauce

pickled beetroot

beetroot relish

bagels*

homemade mixes (Just add water)---coconut muffins, scones, dumplings, lentil/rice meals, & a few more

frozen burritos*

refried beans

laundry powder

'mama' cloth

*some of the above I need to make homemade as they aren't available here in NZ

I'm posting some links to some recipes.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/05/shampoo-formulating-regular-shampoo.html

http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html

For the toothpaste, I make a 100% olive oil soap, and add xylitol, coQ10(for gum health) and a food grade essential oil. Right now, I'm using a custom blend of lemon, rosemary, cinnamon, and clove.

I pour the raw soap in a silicone ice cube tray, and keep it in a covered tin when it is finished.

Miss Good grinds hers up, and adds baking soda and uses it as a tooth powder. Ugh. I can't stand it that way.

Pickled jalapeno peppers.

Me too, and spicy pickled okra.

I also make most of our meals from scratch, plus bread, cookies, biscuits, pies, cakes, ice cream, cocoa mix, deodorant, some household cleaners, some of my jewelry, some of my clothes. In the past, I've made quilts, blankets, winter hats, nursing pads, curtains, area rugs, pillow cases, table runners, and other things.

I like to try my hand at lots of things. If I like the results, I continue. If it didn't seem worth the time, effort, and expense, I drop it. This is why I don't make my own tortillas. :D

I'm going to start making my own spaghetti sauce now. It is the next step I want to take on our road to ever healthier eating. I would like to make my own cloth pads, but the logistics of caring for them without embarrassment in a household full of males is beyond me at the moment.

Where do you buy the ingredients for the shampoo?

Dawn

I'm posting some links to some recipes.

http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/05/shampoo-formulating-regular-shampoo.html

http://www.teachsoap.com/bombs.html

For the toothpaste, I make a 100% olive oil soap, and add xylitol, coQ10(for gum health) and a food grade essential oil. Right now, I'm using a custom blend of lemon, rosemary, cinnamon, and clove.

I pour the raw soap in a silicone ice cube tray, and keep it in a covered tin when it is finished.

Miss Good grinds hers up, and adds baking soda and uses it as a tooth powder. Ugh. I can't stand it that way.

I know that saving the environment is a good thing, but I have to tell you that the idea of reusable cloth tp is not something I would be willing to even remotely consider. (And before someone points out that it's no different than using cloth diapers, I should mention that I didn't use those, either. :tongue_smilie:)

I'm TOTALLY with you on this (although I did do cloth diapers).

:blink: :ack2::svengo:

Socks. And pretty much anything else you would knit.

We also can and freeze a lot of food over the summer/fall for use later in the year, so all our jams, applesauce, syrups, tomato products, pie filling and as much produce as we can freeze well.

There are some things we make some of the time but not always, like butter and our own bread and tortillas. I make and freeze chicken stock every time I make a whole chicken, but we sometimes use storebought too.