Menu

'Calvin' has been shortlisted for Young Poet of the Year!

It's run by a national newspaper. The shortlist is 40 children (out of 1,000 entries) so he's not likely to win, but it's great that he's got this far.

I'll ask him later if I can post the poem here. He doesn't know about the shortlisting yet - I got the email at home and sent him a text, but he has to have his phone turned off during the school day.

This gives him something unusual to put on his university application; he wants to study English....

Laura

SEASON OF FIRE AND FOG

Autumn is coming again.

I can see it in the rigid lines on the field

the green coding of new shoots.

I can feel it in the banks of leaves

around each wounded tree, its red life-blood

spilling out on the icy ground.

Soon will come wool weather

and orange shovels the only colour

on a blank canvas.

Quiet will fill the whole of my soul.

Trees black, ground white, air grey and full of silence

pushing down on me as I walk through the woods.

But there is another world before winter.

Appreciate autumn as far more than fall

not just the shedding of summer’s green garb

but also the donning of a brief, fiery shawl

and an air with more than a little barb

and the crispness of windfall apples

and the slow sound of rot after rain

walking through these woods again

with the ghost of summer on my arm.

Guest submarines
That was lovely! Please tell Calvin that autumn is my favorite season and I feel that he captured the essence of it perfectly!

Faith

Yes. So perfectly.

I keep re-reading it. What gorgeous, delicate imagery. Love the rhythm.

He hasn't tried to make it fit into the traditional image of what autumn is. In the field next to our house the farmer ploughed and sowed in the early autumn, so there were indeed green shoots in the fields at the same time as the trees were turning.

The funny thing is that his image of winter here is based on the last two winters, which have been harsh and snowy. This winter? No snow and I was sitting out on a sunny bench to read in both November and January!

Laura

Guest submarines
He hasn't tried to make it fit into the traditional image of what autumn is. In the field next to our house the farmer ploughed and sowed in the early autumn, so there were indeed green shoots in the fields at the same time as the trees were turning.

The funny thing is that his image of winter here is based on the last two winters, which have been harsh and snowy. This winter? No snow and I was sitting out on a sunny bench to read in both November and January!

Laura

Does he know about flash fiction? It seems like something he might enjoy writing--fiction that borders on prose poetry, usually under 500 words, though some allow it to be under 1000.

Does he know about flash fiction? It seems like something he might enjoy writing--fiction that borders on prose poetry, usually under 500 words, though some allow it to be under 1000.

He's not happy with how his fiction reads at the moment, so something on the border between prose and poetry might interest him.

Laura

• 3 months later...