Menu

Most Important Academic Subject

If you had to choose, which academic subject is the most important?  

1. 1. If you had to choose, which academic subject is the most important?

• Math
    • Science
    • Math & Science
    • History
    • Literature
    • History & Literature
    • The Arts

In general, I would say history and literature, mainly because the study of both develops your ability to speak and write well, and that's something you need to be able to do in any field.

I could have just went with literature, but since you're letting me pick history AND literature, I went with that. :D

I voted math. Many subjects can be studied at any time, at varying depth, and still allow you to feel somewhat knowledgeable about a subject.

It's harder to wing your way through math knowledge. I don't think everyone needs to know Calculus, but I do think a working knowledge of algebra and geometry is important.

I chose literature because that was the only one that seemed to me to require reading skills. Personally I think math and literature are the most needed but there was no option for those 2 together. If you can read and comprehend well, write consisely and compute at least at a basic level you can make due in the world. All the science and history in the world will mean nothing if you do not have literacy and computation skills.

Actually, I would say the ability to read and write well. So, I guess my choice would be "other".

It is amazing to me how many college kids cannot construct a sentence. My dd is constantly forwarding examples of writing from her college classes and I am always stunned. The writing is atrocious. How in the heck are these students going to keep a job when they write sentences like: "Suzy and I's apartment is really cute!" :blink:

Now normally, I would have passed off the "I's" as an anomaly, but I have seen that written THREE times by different kids in their 20s just in the past month. One was a thank you note for a wedding gift. Yes, this poor girl wrote, "Thank you for Zach and I's wedding present" in over 200 notes. :lol:

My second choice would be math.

Reading.

You cannot communicate through writing without knowing how to read, nor analyze literature, study science, read history, learn government or take mathematics beyond very basic skills without learning how to read first.

Beyond reading, I vote for literature because it forces you to be able to analyze the written word, which is what you need to do in every other discipline - including math.

eta: I just realized I could certainly have someone read everything to me. So I guess I will have to go with art:tongue_smilie:

Edited by Ailaena

I think everyone needs a decent grounding in math, literature, science and history. To me, those are the basics.

I was a literature major. I don't know the first thing about calculus. But, I knew enough math to figure out when I had a boss who was underpaying me. He didn't actually know the proper way to calculate hours, and had been soon it wrong for yeeeeeears. I taught him the correct way.

Geometry example: Another mom I know was mad when a can of paint that said it would cover 100 sf only covered one wall of her 10x10 room with a 10 foot ceiling.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I would say reading, writing, math and reasoning (like logic but maybe more llike common sense and logic combined). Followed by history, science, general knowledge, foreign language or like latin roots study, followed by art, literature/poetry, music. Obviously a lot depends on a child's interests and ambitions.

Most important to me is sharing my Christian faith with my daughters -- Bible, doctrine, and so on. Even though we address some aspects of this during "school time," I don't consider it a strictly academic subject. As for strictly academic learning, it's hard to say what should be the focus. Do we emphasize the academic disciplines that study the human condition (humanities), or pursue knowledge of the material universe and its laws (sciences)? There are many forms of thought; each needs a language for expression. Music is a language, math is a language.

I used to think the most important component of academics should be mastery of our native language (whatever this is) -- how to speak, listen, read, and write with great proficiency in that language. While I still place English Literature & Language Skills right at the top (after Bible/Faith), especially for young students, I think that as a student advances there should be an adjustment of focus depending on the aptitudes and goals/motivations/circumstances of the student. An exceptionally musical person (who works diligently) will be able to "speak" the language of music beyond the range of most others. The same holds true for those whose "native" language is math, or science, or a world language, or perhaps even a sport (not sure about this). At this point, our hierarchy is something like this: (1) Bible/Christian Faith; (2) English Literature/English Language Skills; (3) Mathematics; (4) Science; (5) Latin; (6) French; (7) Music (Instrument/Theory); (8) History/Geography; (9) Art Instruction; (10) Composer/Classical Music

Maths & Science---I would have chosen composition as well, but comprehension & composition can be covered in the study of science as well as Literature / History. I prefer Literature & History personally (I was a History / English double major in uni ;) ), but maths & science have been more important for my dc with their career goals. They enjoy the humanities, but need maths & science.

JMHO,

I chose literature because that was the only one that seemed to me to require reading skills. Personally I think math and literature are the most needed but there was no option for those 2 together. If you can read and comprehend well, write consisely and compute at least at a basic level you can make due in the world. All the science and history in the world will mean nothing if you do not have literacy and computation skills.

Yes, this.

I honestly don't know how to vote with the choices above. I would say one needs to be able to read and write well and also have knowledge of basic math to get by and run a household.

Beyond that, ones interests would determine what is/are the most important subject/(s). For example, if you want to be a doctor, science and math would be most important but if you want to be a writer, literature and history.

I can't answer this poll! They're all important, I might even argue equally important, and I consider them to be intertwinable (yes, I made that word up).

I think any education that stressed one, while ignoring another would be lacking. However, a focus on any one of those subjects is acceptable...but would be different for each child/person.

Pick only ONE?! Are you KIDDING?!

(I can't do it.)

:iagree: Same here.

Proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing your native language, as well as in basic arithmetic and simple geometry and algebra are all required in my own personal definition of literacy. If you haven't been taught in one of those areas, I would consider you illiterate. It isn't a value judgment on the individual, although we do value literacy in our family. I don't want my children to be illiterate.

I also see some degree of familiarity with science and history as a requirement. It's difficult to understand either without proficiency in your native language though, so I wouldn't be able to say these are the single most important subjects. In our family we also value a recognition of the culture that has been handed down through various artistic disciplines. We value learning other languages. We value knowing how to make that amazing pie crust that is handed down from my mother's family. We value knowing how to raise animals and grow food. We value our faith. I'd consider my efforts a failure if I haven't taught any of these subjects. But that wasn't the question. ;)

I'd say reading and writing skills, because if you can read well, you can teach yourself a lot, and writing/communicating skills so that you can communicate what you know. As I think I've said on here before, if you're not great at math, that is not necessarily immediately apparent, and people seem to be more forgiving about that anyway, because lots of people seem to think that "math is tough." However, if you have poor grammar skills, those show immediately; nobody can tell at first glance at your resume that you aren't a math whiz, but poor grammar/spelling/etc. will show right away.

I find it very hard to vote because reading is not an option.

I think the ability to read well and understand what is read (i.e basic comprehension), write clearly, and conceptually understand (and thus be able to work) basic math/algebra.

Nothing else in your list (except math) can really be learned if those basic skills are not in place.

So, my vote is an unqualified "Other".

Literature and History.

I get that math is important - and we are really heavy on maths and sciences (i love science), but I think for everyday life, and to be a good citizen of the country and world, literature (by default, reading) and history are the most important.

If you can read - you can learn anything.