Menu

So...what does "discrete" mean in terms of brestfeeding?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried to say discreet several times. I was trying to be discreet. ;)

I love the boob hat too!

I looooove babies, but I don't think I want another. I did have pangs today when a friend posted a beautiful ocean swimming belly shot of another friend who is 37 weeks pregnant with her sixth. But, the desire isn't really *there*.

I think I'm finally there, too. Might have something to do with grocery prices.

Yep, I think it's discrete. ;) When I nursed in public I did just what you are doing and SOMETIMES threw a cloth diaper over my shoulder so it kinda laid against baby and breast. My youngest was fine with that, my eldest FREAKED OUT and caused more of a scene then just nursing.

I nursed like that picture many times and carried on conversations with people who had no idea, including my brother. When he did catch on he fumbled for words left the room and then came back and said, "For the record, I had no idea what you were doing, you could have warned me!"

Americans need to get over themselves in this department. A woman should do whatever she needs to do in public or in private in order to BF her child. None of it should ever be judged as indiscreet.

ETA: when I had to open-up from the top I always put a cloth diaper or blanket over my shoulder to hide the top of my bOOk. Since I usually had to do this only in church (dressier clothes) I thought that was a fair way to handle it. I've always nursed my kids in church & anywhere I might be in public. Never had a problem.

Edited by momoflaw

I want a baby.

Ugh, me too!

All 3 of my guys liked to socialize with me while nursing. Nurse 30 seconds, pop off for a smile and a coo, pop back on. They were crazy, wiggly and popping that just couldn't nurse comfortably without a simple cover. I had some cool little covers and often just a bit of receiving blanket tossed just over my shoulder as if to be a burp cloth. I would have LOVED to have been more comfortable nursing like many of these pictures but I just never could reach it. I give a lot to be able to have a redo now, though. I loved nursing my babies. :)

I viewed several of the links and saw the photos that were posted here, and personally, I thought some were very discreet and others... not so much.

But it really doesn't matter what I think. My opinion is just that -- mine.

I am, however, beginning to resent the attitude in some posts that seem to say that anyone who is opposed to obvious, open BFing in public is wrong. It's not wrong; it's just an opinion and you are free to disagree with it, but I don't think the sarcastic comments are necessary.

People are going to believe what they want to believe, and just because I may believe you should cover up a bit when you BF in public (not saying you should do anything more than the photo in the OP, BTW) doesn't mean that anyone has to listen to me, or that they need to agree with my opinion, or that they even should sort of agree with my opinion.

Obviously, we all differ on the definition of "discreet" as it pertains to this topic, and that's fine. I just hate to see people judging each other about it. :(

This is always such a hot-button topic.

I viewed several of the links and saw the photos that were posted here, and personally, I thought some were very discreet and others... not so much.

I am, however, beginning to resent the attitude in some posts that seem to say that anyone who is opposed to obvious, open BFing in public is wrong. It's not wrong; it's just an opinion and you are free to disagree with it, but I don't think the sarcastic comments are necessary.

People are going to believe what they want to believe, and just because I may believe you should cover up a bit when you BF in public (not saying you should do anything more than the photo in the OP, BTW) doesn't mean that anyone has to listen to me, or that they need to agree with my opinion, or that they even should sort of agree with my opinion.

Obviously, we all differ on the definition of "discreet" as it pertains to this topic, and that's fine. I just hate to see people judging each other about it. :(

I didn't mean any sarcasm at all. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I agree, it is a matter of opinion.

I was simply pointing out practice and how fashion and affected practice throughout history. This also shows how people viewed breastfeeding throughout history.

Like you said with people thinking that one way is just a "wrong" opinion to hold, there are those that insist that a woman hide away and if they don't then they are "wrong" for it. This is why I pulled out the historical views and practices...even in the more "modest" of times and cultures ;)

I also know that there are things some people are more comfortable with than others. I have a friend that was not comfortable nursing in public at all and that's definitely okay...it was her breasts, her child, her comfort zone. We did have one male friend of the family that was very pro-breastfeeding, supportive, etc....but, he personally (for whatever his reasons were) could not stand to be in a room with a nursing mother, even if she was fully covered with a blanket! Something about just "knowing" breastfeeding was going on sent him running for the hills. However, he always insisted that I stay, feed my baby, visit with the rest of the family, and he would take a walk outside, go chat in another room, etc until I was done. He NEVER wanted his issues to affect my nursing or my ability to be in present company.

I didn't mean any sarcasm at all. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

Actually, I didn't think you were sarcastic at all. :001_smile:

Sorry if I made you think I thought you were sarcastic. (And let's all say that three times fast and see if our tongues fall out... :D)

Not sure of you mean me. Im not trying to be sarcastic. Its my honest opinion - and a strong one at that. Isnt that all any of us are giving? Our opinions?

Anyway, not trying to be rude.

:iagree:

I also don't personally wave my breasts around, BUT I also think those near breastfeeding women don't need to peer or be wildly disruptive. But then I was once chided for apparently not looking enough at (or marveling at?) someone breastfeed. She actually seemed to think she was the first BFing woman I'd ever seen or that it was some magical thing she invented. It was .... odd.

I can't be the only one who was (discreetly? not for long!) breastfeeding at a restaurant when a certain (adult) relative who'll remain unidentified decided to talk in a REALLY LOUD VOICE and startled said baby, who immediately popped off the breast, giving the guy at the coffee bar a really clear view. Well, whatever. I have also had other relatives come and stroke the baby's cheek while I am obviously breastfeeding, which I hate.

So anyhow to make a long story short, for this and many reasons, public breastfeeding hasn't worked well for me. I prefer a quiet, solitary corner. I had one baby who just...really wouldn't BF well at all outside the house, making my ability to leave the house almost impossible.

I have shocked some other women by BFing in front of them. I think I even traumatized a neighbor by breastfeeding in front of her kids once. For this and other reasons, I was seen as corrupting to her children.

And I do know people who hide the baby's bottle from others. It's a cultural thing.

I think discreet would more likely involve a blanket over the baby. I am not saying that is necessary or better, but might more closely fit the defintion of discreet. One thing I'm thinking is that if baby pulls away for a break and mom is not quick enough, it is definitely no longer discreet. Also, even though I'm a huge supporter of breastfeeding wherever necessary, I do think it's a good idea to be mindful that not everyone grew up around it and I don't want to make them uncomfortable: older men, people from families or cultures where breastfeeding was not the norm, etc. I'm not saying their feelings come before the baby's need or any such thing. Just that I do think a small blanket is more what I'd call discreet and less likely to make it obvious that a baby is nursing. I guess when I hear "discreet", I think of people not noticing and being almost unaware that it is going on.

To clarify, I am not at ALL saying that I think covering is necessary, just responding to the question of whether or not the photo would be described as "discreet". I believe the photo can be described as a perfectly fine way to breastfeed a baby in public, but probably not "discreet" and I do think it might make some people a bit more uncomfortable than if a blanket covered baby, especially if baby pulled away.

I think discreet would more likely involve a blanket over the baby. I am not saying that is necessary or better, but might more closely fit the defintion of discreet. One thing I'm thinking is that if baby pulls away for a break and mom is not quick enough, it is definitely no longer discreet. Also, even though I'm a huge supporter of breastfeeding wherever necessary, I do think it's a good idea to be mindful that not everyone grew up around it and I don't want to make them uncomfortable: older men, people from families or cultures where breastfeeding was not the norm, etc. I'm not saying their feelings come before the baby's need or any such thing. Just that I do think a small blanket is more what I'd call discreet and less likely to make it obvious that a baby is nursing. I guess when I hear "discreet", I think of people not noticing and being almost unaware that it is going on.

To clarify, I am not at ALL saying that I think covering is necessary, just responding to the question of whether or not the photo would be described as "discreet". I believe the photo can be described as a perfectly fine way to breastfeed a baby in public, but probably not "discreet" and I do think it might make some people a bit more uncomfortable than if a blanket covered baby, especially if baby pulled away.

Interesting. One of the reasons I mentioned I don't use a blanket usually is I feel it says "baby breastfeeding here!". I mean, when else do you put a blanket over your shoulder and the baby's head? I do understand the concern about baby pulling off, and almost always, depending on where I am, have a hand on the shirt to pull it down as soon as I feel the baby start to let go, so that if she unlatches I remain covered. I'm quick, so still not going to see anything, unless I guess you video it and play it back in slow motion, lol.

As for people noticing....I've lost count of how many times I've had people talking to me, and ask me to do something only to be totally confounded when I explain I have to wait until the baby is done nursing. They have NO idea I'm nursing, most of the time. This includes an entire table full of young men at a pizza hut (who couldn't figure out why I wasn't eating my food....I finally explained I was waiting until my baby was done eating so I had my hands free...they thought he was sleeping), multiple older people at church, who would stop to pet my daughter's head as I nursed, and my poor BIL, who was flabbergasted when my husband mentioned I was nursing. Poor guy...my hubby quickly reminded him that he himself was breastfed until he was 2.

Edited by ktgrok

I think I even traumatized a neighbor by breastfeeding in front of her kids once.

That's funny. Whenever I breastfed one of mine at an SCA event, I'd have a cluster of kids crowding around to look, point and comment. It was a little disconcerting at first, but for the sake of education... :p

I think it is hard to be less discrete than an underwear clad model on a billboard. Maternity bras lack colour and lace, sadly.

Rosie

so, from the answers I'm reading I'm getting the feeling that the blanket over the head might be more of a cultural norm than about what exactly is and isn't showing. is that right?

i'm also happy to hear that I'm at least not offending anyone to the point they would be muttering as they walked by.

One day my sister was nursing with baby in a sling while shopping in Whole Foods. Somebody complained to a worker. The worker and the offended person approached her. The person said, "I am offended that you are nursing here!" My sister said, "well, I am offended by your big fat ugly face," and she walked off.

So, there are worse things than muttering.

That sounds like something I would've been inclined to say/do back in my nursing days...

I think the photo was perfectly fine. I think people really need to get over themselves regarding women nursing their babies/toddlers in public. With all of the obscene photos of boobs, scantily-clad women at every turn, and continuous flaunting of mostly naked female bodies, WHY are people so ridiculous about this?

I am so proud that my dd nurses dgs whenever he needs to be fed. She wears a tank top under her shirt and pulls the top shirt up and the tank top just under her breast. It's quite fine (until he wants to look around and play), and I'd much rather have people stare because she's nursing than stare because he's screaming and disruptive.

And I don't want any more babies, but I'd love to be a wet nurse for a while. I really miss nursing my babies! :tongue_smilie:

One day my sister was nursing with baby in a sling while shopping in Whole Foods. Somebody complained to a worker. The worker and the offended person approached her. The person said, "I am offended that you are nursing here!" My sister said, "well, I am offended by your big fat ugly face," and she walked off.

I like that sister :thumbup1:

It is protected by law here in California.

Bill

so, from the answers I'm reading I'm getting the feeling that the blanket over the head might be more of a cultural norm than about what exactly is and isn't showing. is that right?

i'm also happy to hear that I'm at least not offending anyone to the point they would be muttering as they walked by.

I'm guessing you are right. I BF ds until almost 2 1/2, but only BF in public until he was a year or so. I BF many times as portrayed in your original photo. The only time I had looks was when he noisily popped off.

But back to the original question. I agree with a pp who suggested that those who would be offended by BF'ing as portrayed in the photo are most likely to be offended by the idea of BF'ing in general. I say, the more the culture is exposed to natural BF'ing, the better. That said, I attended a public "day at the park" event where a young woman was lying on a blanket with her maybe 6 mo old. She was BF'ing him in the most obvious way possible, with both the top and bottom of her br**st exposed. It was almost exhibitionist in quality.

In the American culture, it seems to be more than the amount of skin exposed, or even the actuality of BF'ing. I don't quite get why it is okay to obviously BF while using a *shield*, but is not okay to BF *not* using a shield, but exposing *no* breast, and even *no* other skin. Why is it okay to be obviously BF'ing if under the cover of a blanket or shield, but *not* okay to BF if *not* covered by the shield, even though no maternal skin is exposed.:confused:

While I completely support a woman's right to feed her child as necessary, in any arena, there is, to me, a qualitative difference between the photos of BF'ing in a culturally appropriate way, and the ones where it is done as exhibitition. Not that there is always a bright discernable line.

Not sure of you mean me. Im not trying to be sarcastic. Its my honest opinion - and a strong one at that. Isnt that all any of us are giving? Our opinions?

Anyway, not trying to be rude.

Nope. Not you, either. :D

I thought you voiced a strong opinion, but not in a nasty way! :001_smile:

I think we are operating with different definitions of "discreet." Here is Merriam-Webster:

Definition of DISCREET

: having or showing discernment or good judgment in conduct and especially in speech : prudent; especially : capable of preserving prudent silence

: unpretentious, modest <the warmth and discreet elegance of a civilized home — Joseph Wechsberg>

: unobtrusive, unnoticeable <followed at a discreet distance>

<he was very discreet, only saying what was necessary>

<with a discreet gesture, she signalled to her husband that she was ready to leave the party>

For a couple who wanted a discreet bar between the study and the living room, Quogue, New York, architect Stuart Disston designed a small-scale bar that's hidden behind … doors under the stairs and takes advantage of plumbing in an adjacent powder room. —Sallie Brady, This Old House, January/February 2006

For #1, the question is: "Is OP's photo showing a woman doing something showing good judgement or prudence?"

My answer would be: yes, obviously. She's nursing a baby! That's great! Good for her!

However, when I saw the OP, that's not what I thought she was asking. My mind automatically jumped to definition #3. In that case, the question is: "Is this photo showing a woman doing something unobtrusive, unnoticeable?" My answer is no.

Is there a baby in there? I only see one of those knitted knockers made for breast cancer patients.

Yes, it's a baby in a sling wearing a knit cap while nursing. :confused:

Bahahahahahaah!! I'm generally a pretty calm person when dealing with the public, but I always tell hubby that if someone ever did that, I just don't know what would happen!

I think we are operating with different definitions of "discreet." <snip>

However, when I saw the OP, that's not what I thought she was asking. My mind automatically jumped to definition #3. In that case, the question is: "Is this photo showing a woman doing something unobtrusive, unnoticeable?" My answer is no.

Nope, not the problem. I don't find it obtrusive. But, maybe some people don't know what obtrusive means?

Main Entry: ob·tru·sive

Pronunciation: \-ˈtrü-siv, -ziv\

Function: adjective

Date: 1667

1 a : forward in manner or conduct <obtrusive behavior> b : undesirably prominent

2 : thrust out : protruding <a sharp obtrusive edge>

synonyms see impertinent

— ob·tru·sive·ly adverb

— ob·tru·sive·ness noun

I also don't find it particularly noticeable unless you are staring at her. Again, I frequently nursed this way and old ladies were often surprised when they tried to sneak a closer peek at the "sleeping" baby. Most people do not realize you are nursing at all. Therefore, IMO, nursing this way is neither noticeable nor obtrusive.

I don't use a cover very often anymore because TWICE I have been startled by a strange man just walking up and pulling it back to adore what they thought was a sleeping baby!

Both times at Mass no less.

Yikes!

First was several years ago. This elderly man had been sitting down the row from us and after mass I stayed in the pew because little one was still nursing and as he passed to leave he said how beautiful my family was and suddenly leans down and pulls the blanket back as he is saying that newest baby is such a sweetie and for about 5 seconds we are both looking at each other in horror. LOL

Second time was Sunday. Again a poor unsuspecting guy pulls the blanket back to see "that baby of your's famous hair" and gets more than he bargained for. To be fair this time, he leaned over from behind me so I was thoroughly unprepared.

I can't go anywhere with this baby without people dying to see his hair. Complete with comments and running their fingers through it for luck.

Which doesn't bother me at all bc we feel the same way.:D

Nope, not the problem. I don't find it obtrusive. But, maybe some people don't know what obtrusive means?

Main Entry: ob·tru·sive

Pronunciation: \-ˈtrü-siv, -ziv\

Function: adjective

Date: 1667

1 a : forward in manner or conduct <obtrusive behavior> b : undesirably prominent

2 : thrust out : protruding <a sharp obtrusive edge>

synonyms see impertinent

— ob·tru·sive·ly adverb

— ob·tru·sive·ness noun

On the other hand, for most women, merely having breasts is, by definition, "obtrusive" by the second meaning because they "thrust out" or "protrude."

So feisty runs in the family, huh? ;)

I don't use a cover very often anymore because TWICE I have been startled by a strange man just walking up and pulling it back to adore what they thought was a sleeping baby!

Both times at Mass no less.

Yikes!

Our church was seeking a new minister when my son was just a few weeks old. I went down to meet the candidate and walked up to him with the baby completely hidden in a sling, nursing. The candidate pulled aside the edge of the sling and got more of a view than he bargained for!

I was very impressed with his reaction. He stepped back smoothly, managed not to look horrified, and said, "You know, I've been learning a little about attachment parenting from some young families at my church." :D

Our church was seeking a new minister when my son was just a few weeks old. I went down to meet the candidate and walked up to him with the baby completely hidden in a sling, nursing. The candidate pulled aside the edge of the sling and got more of a view than he bargained for!

I was very impressed with his reaction. He stepped back smoothly, managed not to look horrified, and said, "You know, I've been learning a little about attachment parenting from some young families at my church." :D

:lol: bless his heart! Neither of the men looked horrified so much as... Idk.. Not prepared for an unveiling?:D

:lol: I cannot imagine our pastor doing something like that. He is VERY uptight about that sort of thing. lol When he visited my friend in the hospital after she had given birth he was very squirmy because she was nursing and she had a cover on!

I always had my baby in a sling when I nursed in public. I had her in that position mainly. If I walked around carrying her in that position she would unlatch and my breast would be hanging out for several minutes before I realized...:lol: So...it wouldnt be discreet for me anymore! I dont think anyone ever realized I was nursing. BUT...I nursed anywhere with that sling.

Well, I hope they were suitably impressed...

With the baby, I mean... :tongue_smilie:

serious question here...

If you breastfeed, is the baby still on an eating schedule? Every 3-4 hours?

Can the baby still be on a schedule?

I'm just curious. Like I said, not trying to hijack. :D

Is this a general question, or is it directed to someone?

My breastfed babies all tended to "cluster feed" where they ate on and off for a while. After that group of feedings, they went a while before eating again. We were never on a schedule where they fed at equal intervals. We did develop a regular pattern of when they would be hungry through the day.

serious question here...

If you breastfeed, is the baby still on an eating schedule? Every 3-4 hours?

Can the baby still be on a schedule?

I'm just curious. Like I said, not trying to hijack. :D

Well, depends who you ask, how old the baby is, how much milk mom makes, and the personality of the baby, as well as its metabolism and other factors.

First, babies digest breastmilk MUCH more quickly, so the schedule, if there is one, would be more often than with formula. Secondly, how much milk the mom makes is almost totally dependent on how often (not how long) she nurses, at least in the first 6 weeks to 3 months. If she goes too long with overly full breasts there actually is a hormone secreted that tells the body to make less milk. So for most women the very best way to ensure an adequate milk supply is to nurse often.

Also, baby can smell the source of milk, so will be reminded to eat a lot more often, in my opinion. It would be like a bottlefed baby having a bottle right in front of it but not allowed to feed except on schedule.

Now, some women do manage a schedule, and a bunch more end up with low supply and "unable to breastfeed" because they tried to schedule feedings. In pre industrial societies babies breastfeed for short amounts often, sometimes as often as several times an hour. It is only in our industrialized, time focused, busy society that we tend to think of babies as something that can be scheduled.

Is this a general question, or is it directed to someone?

My breastfed babies all tended to "cluster feed" where they ate on and off for a while. After that group of feedings, they went a while before eating again. We were never on a schedule where they fed at equal intervals. We did develop a regular pattern of when they would be hungry through the day.

Yes...they develop a routine, but they direct that routine, not the mom, for the most part. Most will cluster feed in the evening...that time when babies tend to be colicky. Mine would nurse for two hours solid, then go hours without eating during the night. During the day it was more of every few hours.....but you just never know. I also live in a hot climate, so I thought about how often I got thirsty...it was certainly more than every 3 hours!

Edited by ktgrok