Menu

Was your father handy around the house or with cars?

What could your dad fix/work on?  

1. 1. What could your dad fix/work on?

• Cars
    • Houses
    • Cars and houses
    • He was good with his hands but with something else (woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc..)
    • He was not handy at all
    • Other

My dad was not handy with cars or the home although he was a carpenter by trade. When he worked on a car it never ran again. I am handy.

My dh can fix anything, his father cannot. Sometimes these things are genetic. Dh's grandfathers were very handy.

I think having the desire and motivation also helps. I like my home to be nice and so does dh, but we are frugal so we do it all ourselves.

My dad could do anything :001_smile: I sometimes used to wonder how he knew so many things.

He replaced the windows in the house and made all new baseboards and molding to go with it, reroofed the house, built a 12'x12' shed, pulled electrical wires, television cable, telephone wires, etc. He semi-finished the basement with a drop ceiling and studded and sheetrocked the walls, golly, I don't know what else.

He fixed cars, including doing bodywork. He had so many pneumatic tools he had to buy a gigantic air compressor to run them. He even painted cars in the garage once or twice.

He hung the chandelier over my kitchen table in this house. I won't forget it--ever--because when he was done, I told him I was pregnant with DS6. We found out a week later he had cancer. I miss him now, but "talk" to him when I have to fix something around the house. I ask him to pray for me when I have to fix the toilet :D

FIL is very handy and can fix just about anything -- whatever project he builds, it will be very top quality and lasts for years. DH however grew up with his uber-repair dad not wanting to teach him (control issues or perfectionism? :lol:) as HIS dad (dh's grandfather) did not teach him anything when he was a kid. He taught himself, basically.

Dh then taught himself and learned to quietly watch over his dad's shoulders how he did work and remembered a lot. DH is quite handy around the house and can fix just about anything. Which I am happy about. But a bit sad as the lack of father-son "build" tool time is not there for a 3rd generation as I would LOVE for dh to teach our son how to work on a basic project. I grew up without a dad -- but love home repair and shop lessons. I love power tools. So, I suspect I will be the one to teach ds how to fix an electrical outlet or use a drill. LOL

Edited by tex-mex

My dad was very handy. Dh's dad was somewhat handy, but had a white collar job and has siblings in the trades. Dh thinks he is handy, but we often end up hiring out because he doesn't have the time or energy to put into things. In reality, he is no more handy than I am because I read directions;) He tends to be more of a "get 'er done" kind of guy and I am more of a "do it right" kind of person.

I do think many things are more complicated now with all the on-board electronics so that the average person would have more difficulty accomplishing the job. I think this especially true with cars.

My father is an electrician.

He was handy with things around the house, but he was definitely a slap bam man

My DH on the other hand is a precision man, he can do anything and everything. He built our house, the first half with hand tools ( we had no electricity), fixes all our cars designs and builds the most wonderful things. If there is some problem, he will design and build something to fix it. He is a tool maker by trade.

I said not handy but I really don't know if that is right. He was busy and we lived in an apartment complex. He wouldn't be fixing things at home because the management would do that. I don't think he would be fixing things on the car at least partly because I don't think such things were allowed in the complex.

He was a good cook, good writer, an inventor, a good piano player who played difficult pieces by ear but I can't really say he was handy. I suppose he might have been if we lived in our own house since he must have had mechanical abilities to invent a mechanical object but who knows?

My dad could fix anything mechanical. Anything. He built their first home, so he could also fix anything around the house. He not only could fix cars, but BIG machines used for digging.

He was a machinist when he was young and became an excavator later on. It was darn handy that he knew his way around a machine shop since often you don't replace parts on something like a bulldozer. Those parts are $$$$! You FIX the part. He eventually went to work for Ford as a test driver. He didn't care for that job much, because he didn't get to build/fix/do things, but it paid the bills.

He's been gone over eight years now, and I still can't even think of him without picturing him with tools strewn about and something torn apart.

When he retired from Ford Motor Company, he bought a drag line (crane used for digging ponds etc.) to tear apart and rebuild as a hobby.

When I was younger, I had typical "young person" cars, and by default learned a good bit about mechanical stuff myself. I enjoyed that, and rebuilt the engine in my 78 Mustang. It had holes you could see through in the floorboards, but it sure ran well! :lol:

ETA: I had to vote other. "Could fix anything" was not a choice.

My dad was a building contractor, so when something needed to be fixed, he paid one of the independent contractors to do the work. For little things, he did fix them, but my dad is a perfectionist and would rather have a professional do the work if it was something he knew how to do, but not well. Now that he is semi-retired, he has been able to do more around the house himself. I am amazed at all his projects. With cars, he wasn't too handy. He just knew the basics, which he taught to me. I am more handy than DH. I learned as much as I cLuke from my dad and from watching others work when I was a kid. With cars, I started out more knowledgeable (and that says a lot considerig his dad is a mechanic), but he has learned a lot since we've been married.

I needed multiple options. My dad could work on cars, fix anything in the house and did woodworking.

A jack of all trades.

My husband is the same way. Though lacking a bit in the woodworking skills. He *can* it's just not his thing. Woodworking was one of my dad's hobbies.

I didn't grow up with my dad around, but my mom is extremely handy. She could fix most things around the house (except plumbing- which she got my grandpa to do). She taught me and my sister how to do quite a bit, though the lessons didn't really stick on her. :001_smile:

he's brilliant. he's unbelievably, scary brilliant. no one would ever say, "oh good, mr. elfgivas sr is here. let's ask him to fix ..... (fill in the blank)." not ever.

:lol::lol::lol:

there was the time he tried to change the valve in the toilet tank. the water was off for three days, the toilet ended up in the hallway, and my mom, bless her, called a plumber, who laughed so hard he cried.....

then there was the attempted building of a shed, the filling of the oil in the car, the use of the car jack, now that was a time ;)....

my brother is very good at all of these things, we reckon in self-defense....

:lol:

ann

I voted other. My dad was handy when he was young and could build/repair just about anything - cars, houses, boat motors, you name it. He built me a beautiful playhouse when I was very small that looked just like a miniature little house. He became disabled with RA when I was in elementary school. By the time I got married, he had trouble walking me down the aisle. After that, his dad, my Papa, fixed everything at our house. I remember coming home and finding Papa on our roof making some kind of repair when he was in his late 80's.

My dh is also handy and does everything around here himself.

My dad could/can fix or build just about anything.

My DH is a farm boy and he really can fix anything. I've seen him mechanic on drilling rigs, tractors, cars, fix plumbing, fences, hang barn doors, build a playhouse and giant pirate boat complete with a plank. He's just amazing!

Where's the 'all of the above' option?? My dad is a handy man, he'd work on the cars, bits and pieces around the house, build verandas/decks etc, he's an electrician. Very handy indeed and I guess he ingrained in my mind the need to find a guy who CAN do things for himself. And my DH is exactly that :)

My father works on cars(body work) for a living. He and my mom built our house from the ground up.... so yeah he's handy. The thing is my mom is the better electrician, mechanic, and all around maintenance. In fact she is a maintenance tech in the bio industry. I have not one lick of mechanical ability. When something is broken I try to fix it by "smacking" it. Luckily for me my DH is very handy (industrial maintenance tech) and can fix cars/houses,

Needed an "all of the above and more." My dad could do absolutely anything (seems that way to me, anyway). He worked on cars, did carpentry, electrical work, plumbing, put on roofs, fixed anything that broke, and he could cook and taught himself to knit and sew. He also could hunt and fish, and taught himself to shoot a bow well enough to win awards at contests. I miss my dad. :(

Edited by VaKim

My dad fixed construction equipment for a living after he got out of the Navy. He could fix anything in the house, too. My dh can fix or build just about anything. I was an adult before I ever knew there was such a thing as a man who was not handy at most things or at least something. It always seems ... odd... to me when I meet men who admit they are not handy at anything.

Completely handy father (and all of his brothers) and completely handy dh. They've built houses, rebuilt car engines, rebuilt tractors, rebuilt computers... you name it, they can do it.

I wish I was handy.

I can change a lightbulb and change the oil in my car. That's about it. :001_smile:

My dad was the worst kind of not-very-handy: thinks he is handy + lack of $$ to fix stuff or buy supplies = nothing ever really got fixed and many things he touched got broken more. :glare:

He never assembled anything well. Would fail to read directions, break or lose something and then blame the company for making a bad product.