Menu

Dd wants to sit on the garage roof and read a book. Should I let her?

Dd wants to sit on the garage roof outside my window and read a book. The weather is gorgeous and there is no ice, though we've had a fair amount of rain/moisture in recent weeks. It's not that high. We live in a rental and my biggest fear is damaging the roof in some way--but sitting out there quietly reading should be okay, right?

She's a teen and just wants to be able to brag about her nifty reading spot, lol. :rolleyes:

Can you clarify how high up she would be sitting? I'm guessing the garage roof is sloped? If it's flat, that would make a difference. My mental vision is about eight feet up and precariously balanced on a slope. :) That would make me think 'no'.

Weeeeelllll . . . yeah, I guess it is 8ft up and precariously balanced on a slope. I guess I figured if it's not icy it's kinda like sitting on a hill???

I try to save my battles for really big deal activities (like drugs)--I'll admit, this one threw me for a loop. It's not as dangerous as recreational drug use, but also not as safe as reading on the ground.

Still waffling . . .

Weeeeelllll . . . yeah, I guess it is 8ft up and precariously balanced on a slope. I guess I figured if it's not icy it's kinda like sitting on a hill???

I try to save my battles for really big deal activities (like drugs)--I'll admit, this one threw me for a loop. It's not as dangerous as recreational drug use, but also not as safe as reading on the ground.

Still waffling . . .

I think it's fine :001_smile:. It's not like she'll be dancing up there. She'll be sitting. I'm assuming she's trustworthy and that's why you're considering it.

That is exactly what was outside of my bedroom window growing up. It was just sooo tempting. I think I started going out there to read when I was about her age- at least she asked for your permission first. I would definitely advise you to let her do it. I still remember the smell of warm summer nights sitting outside my window, on the roof of the back porch. :thumbup:

Yes!! My dd(6) often reads in her magnolia tree...her preferred branch is higher up than our roof. Not something I'd ever feel safe doing lol, but she does so I let her. She likes to brag about her cool reading spot to her friends too.:D

Good point. At our old house we had a big walnut tree that the kids climbed quite a bit. I have also allowed dd to climb pine trees when we camp--easy to do with the ladder-like branches, and easy to get really, REALLY high. My husband carefully coached both kids to always have "three limbs touching" when climbing rocks or trees and both kids have that ingrained. It was scary watching her climb the pine, but she was soooooo excited about how much there was to see up there. :tongue_smilie: A little garage roof seems like small potatoes after that I guess.

I would let her, notwithstanding the fact that the one thing I jokingly tell my kids when I leave them alone is always, "Do not climb onto the roof."

If a teen slides off of an 8' roof, she breaks an ankle. She doesn't die; she will still get into college.

Terri

If the roof is stable and not at a step incline I say YES. I remember climbing out my friend's window to sit on her garage as a young teen. We thought it was the perfect place to sit and talk and watch the world. Kind of like cats teens/kids like to be above everyone else. ;)

Absolutely! One of the perks of homeschooling. :D

:iagree:

if the power for the house attaches to a point on the roof, which many do, i would give the "thou shalt not touch" lecture first..... its good to not fry ;)

our kids are on the roof not infrequently. usually the only time i say no is if its windy enough to blow them off balance :D

ann

I would have no issues due to safety BUT since you mentioned you are renting I wanted to point out something - at the house we were previously renting we were told no one should step foot on the roof as it will void the roof's warranty. So if there is a chance the roof is newer I would be cautious in that regard but otherwise go for it!

If the roof is stable and not at a step incline I say YES. I remember climbing out my friend's window to sit on her garage as a young teen. We thought it was the perfect place to sit and talk and watch the world. Kind of like cats teens/kids like to be above everyone else. ;)

Not to mention, when you are READING books, kids are always climbing out their window onto the roof to do various things -- read, watch the world go by, get away from it all. I wish now I'd had a chance to actually DO it!

He went there to read a letter

Miao, Miao, Miao

Where the reading light was better

Miao, Miao, Miao

'twas a love note for Don Gato!

Wow... that brought back memories from 3rd or 4th grade... I still remember a lot of the words! Thanks!

Jodie

Dd wants to sit on the garage roof outside my window and read a book. The weather is gorgeous and there is no ice, though we've had a fair amount of rain/moisture in recent weeks. It's not that high. We live in a rental and my biggest fear is damaging the roof in some way--but sitting out there quietly reading should be okay, right?

She's a teen and just wants to be able to brag about her nifty reading spot, lol. :rolleyes:

YES! :D Provided there is a safe way to get up and down. I loved special reading spots and ended up in cherry trees and once on top of some electrical box on a rural route (my parents did not know about this, I think. It was too weird and I soon moved on from there). It's peaceful and fun.

I'd have some rules in place... Like she can only sit near the peak of the roof. No talking on the phone while she's out there. Just sit and read. And, of course, I'd keep en eye on her while she was up there. It would also depend, to some extent, on how coordinated/clumsy she is. I have a 25 year old daughter who I wouldn't let up on the roof in any circumstance. This is a gal who can barely make it across a room without tripping. Plus she weighs over 300 pounds and I'd worry about having that much weight on the roof.

My son's window opens up right on the roof of our garage. Every time I need to go up on the roof, he comes out with me. He's not allowed close enough to the edge of either the garage (attached) or the house roof that if he stumbles, he'll fall over the edge. So, he has to stay back about 3 or so feet. He just likes sitting out on the garage roof and watching the world go by. He's been doing it for years, and he's never come close to getting hurt or falling.

Sue

Yes. I used to do this when I was teen and it was wonderful. In fact, the window I climbed out of was in my bedroom, and it went out to the garage roof. I'd even climb out there at night sometimes and take my star charts. This was back when there was less pollution and light, so it was worth climbing on a roof to see the stars.

I'm sure she'll be able to handle it, just tell her not to lose her balance near the edge. She won't damage the roof, unless she picks at it.