Menu

Holiday Facebook pet peeve

This sort of post is going to drive me to drink before the week is out:

I'm inviting all my Facebook family and friends to join me in returning to the traditional greeting of "MERRY CHRISTMAS" instead of the politically correct "Happy Holidays"!! If you agree with me, please re-post this message.....MERRY CHRISTMAS! We need Christ back into our lives

GOD IS WELCOME IN MY HOUSE。* 。

---------------------------------------------

What the HECK is so wrong with a holiday greeting that includes everyone? And what is with digging your heels in to refuse to extend a holiday greeting to anyone but your fellow Christians? So irritating. I'm Christian too and it gets under my skin. To me, it just sounds stubborn and obnoxious. Obviously there is nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas but there is also nothing wrong with Happy Holidays because it purposely wishes happiness on everyone. I can't understand the problem. I really can't. :confused:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes one want to post: Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, Happy Channakah to my Jewish friends (and I probably butchered that spelling), Happy Ramadan to my Muslim friends, Happy Kwanza to my black friends, Happy Solstice to my Pagan and Heathen friends, and Warm Wishes & Good Vibes to my Metaphysical Relative. And Happy Holidays to anyone I left out! :D

Makes one want to post: Merry Christmas to my Christian friends, Happy Channakah to my Jewish friends (and I probably butchered that spelling), Happy Ramadan to my Muslim friends, Happy Kwanza to my black friends, Happy Solstice to my Pagan and Heathen friends, and Warm Wishes & Good Vibes to my Metaphysical Relative. And Happy Holidays to anyone I left out! :D

I basically did just that and also added "How about I shorten that and just say HAPPY HOLIDAYS (and bah humbug to anyone who takes issue with including everyone in a holiday blessing). Oh and I added Merry Consumermas to my shopoholic friends. lol! :tongue_smilie:Glad I'm not alone thinking this!

When we go to church, we usually pass a car in the parking garage with a bumper sticker that says, "We say Merry Christmas." Well, so what? So does half the freaking world. It doesn't make you special enough to require a smug little bumper sticker. Heck, I'm not even a Christian, and I say "Merry Christmas" a couple hundred times every year.

Everybody who celebrates Christmas says "Merry Christmas" to other people who celebrate Christmas. The only thing under contention is what people should say to those who don't celebrate Christmas, or what people who don't themselves celebrate Christmas should say, or what people should say if they don't know whether or not someone else celebrates Christmas.

Frankly, I think it's a jerk move to insist that your Christmas is somehow ruined if people who don't celebrate Christmas aren't dragged into it.

I dont care for the chain mail status, but most of my friends do it referencing "x-mas". I say merry Christmas because, well that is what I believe. I don't wish anyone who isn't Christian anything less, I just stick with Merry Christmas :) But I don't really think FB is the place to debate it and I really hate the chain mail statuses.

I have to agree. I am Catholic and tend to say Merry Christmas just because that is my perspective. I certainly am not offended by anyone who says Happy Holidays to me. I mean, am I supposed to be mad about someone wishing me well?

I agree Christ needs to be kept in Christmas, but I think we can do that better by serving others, showing kindness, and sharing with the less fortunate instead of spending too much on gifts that most of us don't need. And no, I don't do a good enough job of this, so I need to practice what I preach.:001_smile:

When we go to church, we usually pass a car in the parking garage with a bumper sticker that says, "We say Merry Christmas." Well, so what? So does half the freaking world. It doesn't make you special enough to require a smug little bumper sticker. Heck, I'm not even a Christian, and I say "Merry Christmas" a couple hundred times every year.

Everybody who celebrates Christmas says "Merry Christmas" to other people who celebrate Christmas. The only thing under contention is what people should say to those who don't celebrate Christmas, or what people who don't themselves celebrate Christmas should say, or what people should say if they don't know whether or not someone else celebrates Christmas.

Frankly, I think it's a jerk move to insist that your Christmas is somehow ruined if people who don't celebrate Christmas aren't dragged into it.

:chillpill:

Don't forget Festivus for the rest of us!!! :D

My shrug and panties in a wad comment is directed at the ppl who feel the need to get militant and in your face about saying Merry Christmas.

Wish someone whatever you want. I mean, if I was hanging out with Audrey, I'd wish her happy holidays, the best of the season, whatever. Cause I know Merry Christmas isn't applicable for her.

But, if I'm at the store or having causal convo with someone I don't know, I'll say Merry Christmas, out of habit...If they get offended, then that's their choice. I would hope that ppl would just take it in the spirit given, rather than get their nose out of joint though.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

I'm inviting all my Facebook family and friends to join me in returning to the traditional greeting of "MERRY CHRISTMAS" instead of the politically correct "Happy Holidays"!! If you agree with me, please re-post this message.....MERRY CHRISTMAS! We need Christ back into our lives

What the HECK is so wrong with a holiday greeting that includes everyone? And what is with digging your heels in to refuse to extend a holiday greeting to anyone but your fellow Christians? So irritating. I'm Christian too and it gets under my skin. To me, it just sounds stubborn and obnoxious. Obviously there is nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas but there is also nothing wrong with Happy Holidays because it purposely wishes happiness on everyone. I can't understand the problem. I really can't. :confused:

:chillpill:

Huh! I never thought of it that way before. I thought I had explored this issue from all sides, but your cogent arguments have helped me to consider the matter from a new perspective. How valuable this forum community is!

Huh! I never thought of it that way before. I thought I had explored this issue from all sides, but your cogent arguments have helped me to consider the matter from a new perspective. How valuable this forum community is!

:lol::lol::lol:

I think she just meant cold weather has hit in her state.

I think you miss the point. I don't care either way as I know what I celebrate and why I celebrate. But I believe people have gotten "militant" or "obnoxious" about it because there truly was a day (and still is in some places) where some employers would not allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas". My belief is that people are not trying to be obnoxious. They are standing up for a right that had been taken from them. Nothing riles people up more than being told that they "can't" express something they hold important. Hence, I believe, the adamant way in which this is sometimes expressed. I've seen people get equally adamant on this board when the censorship of books was discussed. Telling us we can't do something that we consider our right can bring out the obnoxious in any of us. While I am comfortable with both sayings, I can certainly understand why some express their right hoping to make a point.

I think you miss the point. I don't care either way as I know what I celebrate and why I celebrate. But I believe people have gotten "militant" or "obnoxious" about it because there truly was a day (and still is in some places) where some employers would not allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas". My belief is that people are not trying to be obnoxious. They are standing up for a right that had been taken from them. Nothing riles people up more than being told that they "can't" express something they hold important. Hence, I believe, the adamant way in which this is sometimes expressed. I've seen people get equally adamant on this board when the censorship of books was discussed. Telling us we can't do something that we consider our right can bring out the obnoxious in any of us. While I am comfortable with both sayings, I can certainly understand why some express their right hoping to make a point.

Yet, employers have to deal with customers that may be offended by the assumption that 1) everyone is a Christian or at least 2) everyone celebrates Christmas. Especially if Christmas is something that their faith is particularly against (mine was at one time). How does someone that doesn't recognise or is offended by a particularly holiday respond to the greeting of that holiday? It almost forces them, the customer, to be the "rude" one by not being able to reply or to only be able to reply negatively, even if it's politely negative (aka, sorry, but we don't celebrate/recognise)...which also puts the employee in an uncomfortable spot as well. It was always very uncomfortable for my children to be asked, by well meaning elderly folk, "what's Santa bringing you for Christmas?" The kids either looked at me like that person was insane, would say "nothing", or would say "Santa doesn't exist" (bless the poor hearts of any child around them that may have overheard...I'm sure some parents were covering their kids' ears and rushing off). BTW, my kids still don't believe in Santa...but they have a small surprise coming for St. Nicholas' day ;) I just need to get my sewing machine pushing smoke.

It was always very uncomfortable for my children to be asked, by well meaning elderly folk, "what's Santa bringing you for Christmas?" The kids either looked at me like that person was insane, would say "nothing", or would say "Santa doesn't exist" (bless the poor hearts of any child around them that may have overheard...I'm sure some parents were covering their kids' ears and rushing off). BTW, my kids still don't believe in Santa...but they have a small surprise coming for St. Nicholas' day ;) I just need to get my sewing machine pushing smoke.

Yes, I remember my friends' children going through that. When they were preschool age, before they had developed a good sense of religious identity, it was very stressful for them to be constantly asked about presents they weren't going to get. Later on, I think it wasn't so tough.

For goodness sake, it was never about EXcluding xians it was about INcluding other people. Heaven forbid other people would be wished well during a xian holiday season. :glare:

My mom worked at a big retail chain during the holiday season a few years ago and it was very obvious when someone made a point to say "Merry Christmas" in response to her "Happy Holidays" because it was said in such a way that took all the Christmas spirit out of it. It ended up just sounding a bit snotty.

Christmas and New Year's are holidays, so if someone wishes you happy ones you say "Thanks, you too."

My mom worked at a big retail chain during the holiday season a few years ago and it was very obvious when someone made a point to say "Merry Christmas" in response to her "Happy Holidays" because it was said in such a way that took all the Christmas spirit out of it. It ended up just sounding a bit snotty.

Christmas and New Year's are holidays, so if someone wishes you happy ones you say "Thanks, you too."

I do the same and I hate the pointed, going out of their way, "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" like they are all smug about it.

YUCK.

I say, "Happy Holidays" b/c I want to include people, but when people wish me ANY season greeting, I say to them, 'Thank you, you, too!"

But I believe people have gotten "militant" or "obnoxious" about it because there truly was a day (and still is in some places) where some employers would not allow their employees to say "Merry Christmas". My belief is that people are not trying to be obnoxious. They are standing up for a right that had been taken from them. Nothing riles people up more than being told that they "can't" express something they hold important.

No right has been taken from anyone if their employer directs them on what to say or not to say while working. Adults should be adult enough to know that, if they choose to work for someone else, they can't say whatever they dang please when they are at work. And the workplace generally isn't the appropriate forum for expressing things that we hold important. Unless you are a missionary, your job generally isn't about expressing your important values. It's about doing what your employer tells you to do.

I was recently discussing with dd17 how people misinterpret the first amendment to mean that they should be able to say whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want, regardless, when in actuality the first amendment protects people from government interference in speech. So, saying Merry Christmas at work is not a right or a free speech issue.

Tara

I wish everyone a Happy Chanukah. :001_smile:

I don't really care what people say in response.

I still want to know what Santa and reindeers and hallmark cards and lawn decorations (giant reindeer, giant menorahs) have to do with the holidays. And why do people give underwear and socks as stocking stuffers? What do stockings hanging over a fireplace have to do with Christmas? What the heck is a chanukah bush?

Anyone care to enlighten me?

:iagree: You think that's bad? Last year I was surfing the radio and stopped at what I thought was a station playing Christmas music. I heard a heard a "Christmas" song that made me so mad I was fuming for days. It was basically saying "America is white, Christian, we tote guns, and we say Merry Christmas. Get over it or leave." I didn't think we could stoop so low.

How does someone that doesn't recognise or is offended by a particularly holiday respond to the greeting of that holiday? It almost forces them, the customer, to be the "rude" one by not being able to reply or to only be able to reply negatively, even if it's politely negative (aka, sorry, but we don't celebrate/recognise)...which also puts the employee in an uncomfortable spot as well.

Yes, I think the problem for many folks is the assumption that everyone must appreciate a greeting or wish that doesn't actually apply to them.

Honestly, I would think it's not so much about getting offended as it is being reminded -- constantly -- that you are in the minority.

It reminds me a little bit of some of the experiences I had living in the midwest when I was in my 20s. I would be just sitting there on the bus, minding my own business, when someone would come over and start making conversation. Inevitably, that person would end up saying something to me that bothered me, all too frequently something with an implied racism that made me squirm. Someone finally explained to me that these folks probably felt "safe" saying such things to me because I don't obviously belong to any of those groups. The assumption was, apparently, that they could say things about "others" in front of me because I appeared to be "a member of their club."

Eventually, I started carrying a book everywhere and reading whenever there was even the smallest possibility some stranger might want to talk to me. I found those conversations so uncomfortable that I essentially withdrew from any random human interaction. I hated how they put me in the position of either saying nothing or having a confrontation.

I imagine that, for anyone who does not celebrate Christmas, the whole time between mid-November and January 2 must feel much the same way.

So, here's the thing: I do celebrate Christmas, and it does have religious/spiritual meaning for me (although I am not a Christian). But I never, ever want to be responsible for making anyone else feel uncomfortable or sad or excluded just in order to make a point for myself. So, I say "Happy Holidays," because that's exactly what I mean and what I wish for everyone.

What the HECK is so wrong with a holiday greeting that includes everyone? And what is with digging your heels in to refuse to extend a holiday greeting to anyone but your fellow Christians? So irritating. I'm Christian too and it gets under my skin. To me, it just sounds stubborn and obnoxious. Obviously there is nothing wrong with saying Merry Christmas but there is also nothing wrong with Happy Holidays because it purposely wishes happiness on everyone. I can't understand the problem. I really can't.

I agree! That kind of thing makes me nuts every year, as a Jew who does not celebrate Christmas. I do not get offended if someone wishes me a "Merry Christmas" out of habit/ignorance/being in the majority and being used to saying it, whatever. If it's said kindly, I'll take it in the spirit it was intended and just say "Thanks, you too" if I know I'm never going to see them again (unless one of my kids is with me, and then they will say "We celebrate Hanukkah!" LOL) because it's the easiest thing to do. (If it's someone I will see again and I'm getting to know, I will let them know with a smile, "Thank you but we celebrate Hanukkah, actually.")

But when it comes out of a spiteful, stubborn, obnoxious, bullying, attitude of "I KNOW you might not be Christian/might not celebrate Christmas but I don't give a crap, I'm going to wish you a Merry Christmas anyway because that's what I do and if you don't like it, too bad, because we are the majority here and you are less than dirt beneath our shoes!"...yeah, well, do me a favor and tell me to F off or something instead. Seriously, it'd be more real, so let's just skip the b.s. fakery, ok? ;)

Good idea! I think you should do that. I would like a post like that. :)

Yep! Exactly!

:lol::lol::lol:

For goodness sake, it was never about EXcluding xians it was about INcluding other people. Heaven forbid other people would be wished well during a xian holiday season.

Exactly. Really, why don't people get that? "Happy holidays" was ALWAYS about INCLUDING people, and making all feel welcome and equal, so why is it that some people have to act as if it's some big slap across their holier-than-thou faces? Really, it's not.

No right has been taken from anyone if their employer directs them on what to say or not to say while working. Adults should be adult enough to know that, if they choose to work for someone else, they can't say whatever they dang please when they are at work. And the workplace generally isn't the appropriate forum for expressing things that we hold important. Unless you are a missionary, your job generally isn't about expressing your important values. It's about doing what your employer tells you to do.

I was recently discussing with dd17 how people misinterpret the first amendment to mean that they should be able to say whatever they want, wherever they want, whenever they want, regardless, when in actuality the first amendment protects people from government interference in speech. So, saying Merry Christmas at work is not a right or a free speech issue.

Tara

:iagree:

I look at this more as a What's Wrong With Facebook thing.

I don't do Facebook, so I can't speak to that part of it.

I do worry about offending everyone at the holidays. It has gotten so bad that I just don't wish anyone anything. No greetings at all. If someone offers me a greeting (whatever it may be), I just smile and say, "Thank you. You too." Maybe this is part of the reason that I try to do all of my holiday shopping online. :lol:

I look at this more as a What's Wrong With Facebook thing.

Partly but in my experience it is representative of the attitudes of the people posting it. The ones posting it are very much of the "in your face" variety. It's mainly family who have always lived in rural Ohio and haven't had much experience at all with diversity and are resentful of it. It makes me very very happy that the Navy has forced us to live amongst many types of people. Our lives have been enriched by diversity and I think it makes my kids better people. I feel sorry for those who can't see past their own little noses.

So, here's my question...

Would it be appropriate to wish every customer, or even just every female customer of child bearing age, a happy Mother's Day on Mother's Day?

I think it would be a little weird.

It would be. Because you don't KNOW what every woman's status is, and it would be awfully presumptuous to assume that all women would welcome such a remark. Even worse to feel they should swallow it just because it makes (general) you feel good to say it to strangers.

So, here's my question...

Would it be appropriate to wish every customer, or even just every female customer of child bearing age, a happy Mother's Day on Mother's Day?

No, it would not. Imagine how hurtful that would be to someone that has spent years trying and unable to have children or has a very strained to non-existant relationship with their mother. Mother's Day is a very hard time for me. I got cut off on Mother's Day. I count the years that my mother and I haven't spoken by how many Mother's Days have gone by.

:iagree: :D

I think it stems from retailers telling their employees, starting a couple of years ago, that they weren't allowed to say Merry Christmas to customers but they could say Happy Holidays. You can also find videos of Brad Stine on YouTube for a different perspective.

I spent a lot of Christmases in retail and darn near got my head bit off for saying Merry Christmas. I stopped saying anything. The thing is, this goes both ways. If you want to say Merry Christmas, you should be able to without getting a beatdown for it. It's just a general well-wishing, not a YOU MUST celebrate Christmas OR ELSE. Or at least it is to me. On the other hand, if someone wants to say Happy Holidays, I. don't. care. Again, it's a general well-wishing. But people really don't like each other anymore - things went way downhill after 9/11.

I just say "enjoy your holidays"! Even if they don't believe in a thing but they get a day off work they have a holiday. :)

If only people would take well wishes in the spirit in which they're meant and not how it is interpreted...

I agree. We don't celebrate any holidays, not a one, but I know that someone will say Happy Holidays (or whatever) to me at least a hundred times this holiday season. Some do it out of politeness or some sort of employment obligation, but most will say it because they want everyone to have a fun, joyful time. I never take offense when someone wishes me well, because it doesn't come from a bad place. I have several friends who go out of their way to send me a neutral card or text during the holidays that usually says something like "i know you don't celebrate, but I hope this year is great for your family".