Menu

Words you can't say

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say the name Kyle. I have worked on it with no success. I finally told dd that she can never marry a guy named Kyle or else I will have to call him by another name lol

I married a Greg, and to her dying day, my grandma called him Craig :001_smile: It was a family joke. She just got some words messed up in her head and they never straightened out.

I can't say the name Kyle. I have worked on it with no success. I finally told dd that she can never marry a guy named Kyle or else I will have to call him by another name lol

My grandmother couldn't either. It would come out sounding like "cow". Considering I've had friends with the same problem and we live in the south, I'm chalking it up to a southern accent.

Asian names in history books. I have to look it up and it feels like a tongue twister when I try to pronounce half of them. It makes reading about Asian history difficult!

I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I just wing it with the Asian names...:tongue_smilie:

I cannot properly pronounce the name Lewis, which is especially strange because it is my maiden name! It always comes out strangely...Loo-wiss. IDK.

I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I just wing it with the Asian names...:tongue_smilie:

I cannot properly pronounce the name Lewis, which is especially strange because it is my maiden name! It always comes out strangely...Loo-wiss. IDK.

When I was 5 I couldn't pronounce my maiden name either! Say it was Board, it would come out Bird.

iron- I don't know what the issue is, it sounds fine to me, but everyone giggles whenever I say it :glare:

I once dated a boy who pronounce it 'urn'. On the phone:

Me: Whatcha doing?

Him: I'm urning.

Me: What?

Him: I'm urning again. My mom is angry about my grades so she's making me urn the laundry as punishment.

Me: ??? I have no idea what you are talking about.

Him: You know, urn, to get the wrinkles out.

Me: ...um...oh! You mean IRON! You are IRONING the clothes. Okay.

Him: Ha ha! Why are you saying EYE-RON? Ha ha!

That boy did a lot of URNING for his mother that year. Ha ha!

Baths. I have a slight lisp and putting /th/ and /s/ together is nearly impossible.

ETA: I can't say rural either. dh just laughs at me when he watches my face as I try to pronounce it. I'm not convinced that anyone can actually pronounce rural. We ought to come up with another word for it....

Edited by bonniebeth4

The only words I can't pronounce are words I read incorrectly before hearing them said. . For example I've never heard the word hyperbole said aloud before I read it. So for me it is pronounced "hyper" (as in hyperactive) "bole" (as in a boll or cotton).

I can't think of any, but I had a friend in hs that couldn't say 'aluminum'. It was 'aluminuminum'.

I love hearing the guys on Top Gear (British) say aluminum. I swear they put more vowels in the word than are actually there.

I have the perfect video for this thread.

Julian Smith is a guy who makes funny videos and has included his grandmother in a few of them. This video is an outtake type thing that shows how much trouble she had with one of her lines (video gamers will particularly appreciate it, hehe). She's such a good sport and it cracks me up:

Btw, I always have trouble with 'Worcestershire' sauce.

I have the perfect video for this thread.

Julian Smith is a guy who makes funny videos and has included his grandmother in a few of them. This video is an outtake type thing that shows how much trouble she had with one of her lines (video gamers will particularly appreciate it, hehe). She's such a good sport and it cracks me up:

Btw, I always have trouble with 'Worcestershire' sauce.

Funny clip~!

Particularly and peculiar have always made me trip over tongue. I do okay until I get to the "cul" part and then it goes down hill from there. I try very hard to avoid these words when speaking.

When I was 4 or 5 I can remember my parents having a discussion over the word wash. My mom always pronounced it "worsh". It drove my dad batty.

Particularly and peculiar have always made me trip over tongue. I do okay until I get to the "cul" part and then goes down hill from there. I try very hard to avoid these words when speaking.

When I was 4 or 5 I can remember my parents having a discussion over the word wash. My mom always pronounced it "worsh". It drove my dad batty.

Peculiar. When my brother was about 9 and I was about 13 we got in a fight. With gritted teeth he said, 'You Peck You Liar!!' I said, 'what is a Peck You Liar?' Anger gone he shrugs and says, 'I don't know. I read it in that book right there.' So we find the book, find the word, and I show him in the dictionary how to pronounce it.

That is my pet name for him now. Peck You Liar.

What is a car park?

OK ... you don't say 'car park' :tongue_smilie:. I can't remember what you Americans say - it's where you leave your car if you go shopping, or to the cinema, or whatever. Is it what you call a 'parking lot'? Does anyone have an American English-British English Dictionary? :D Sorry.

I love hearing the guys on Top Gear (British) say aluminum. I swear they put more vowels in the word than are actually there.

They might be using more vowels. In Australia the word is actually spelled and pronounced differently. It's not aluminum. It's aluminium (pronounced like: al-you-min-ee-um).

For me the hardest word to say is "fast". The mix-up of accents trips me up almost every time and it comes out really weird, unless I really concentrate on the word before I say it. I don't have any trouble with other words similar to that (past, mast, etc), just that one word.

Particularly and peculiar have always made me trip over tongue. I do okay until I get to the "cul" part and then it goes down hill from there. I try very hard to avoid these words when speaking.

This is the word I was trying to think of all morning! I cannot say, "Particularly," without looking at the spelling. :tongue_smilie:

I have difficulty with my "r"s. The word "roar" is particularly difficult and so many kids book have it in there. My kids are still confused on what exactly a lion says:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

Roar

Royal

rural

All trouble words for me.

Another set of words I consistently have trouble with are idea and ideal. My brain would say "idea" but my mouth would say "ideal". :001_huh:

For the longest time I just couldn't pronounce "school" correctly either. My southern drawl would mangle the word. :tongue_smilie:

They might be using more vowels. In Australia the word is actually spelled and pronounced differently. It's not aluminum. It's aluminium (pronounced like: al-you-min-ee-um).

I won't lie. I did go into my kitchen and look at the box of Reynold's Wrap to see if it was spelled like they say it. Apparently not. Good to know.