Menu

What time do you start your day?

What time do you get up?

What do you do in the mornings before school starts?

When do you start school?

I'm having a hard time figuring out a good schedule. With the exception of DS7, none of us are early risers unless we have to be. He gets up around 730/8, and he's the earliest (aside from DH, who has to be at work at 730). I'm feeling like I should get up earlier but can't find the motivation for it...:glare:

I wake up between 5-6am and drink my coffee and read my bible or a book for awhile.

My kids start waking up about 6:30-7:00am. They brush their teeth, wash their face, and get dressed. They do their morning chores while i get breakfast ready. After chores they eat.

While they are eating I go over the lessons for the day and get everything we will need out and ready.

We usually start school between 8-9am. 9am is the very latest that we start or it will throw my whole day off.:001_smile:

I get up at 5:00 with dh. Kids are up by 7:00 (most earlier but 10 yo ds is a slugabed) and school starts at 8:00.

That's our house, too, though I sometimes beat my husband downstairs and start the coffee and stoke the fire (weather dependent). We spend the time reading, planning / prepping the day, moving laundry along...

Dd 13 and dd 11 are supposed to start school at 6:30.

Dd 13, being more of a morning person (and a dutiful daughter :D) sets her alarm for 5:45 each morning and gets up, eats, exercises and prepares for school. If she hasn't seen me by 6:30 (which would be most mornings) she comes up to wake me up and then starts right in on her school work. I hop in the shower and am downstairs by 6:45 when I make a cup of coffee and jump into school work right away. Dd11, a night owl like myself, drags herself out of bed whenever she hears me turn on the shower, knowing she has ten minutes to be at her school work before getting into trouble.

The littles are up around 8 am each day. They have to start school by 9:30.

Dh goes to work sometime between 4 and 5:30 each morning.

Umm...*cough* I get up kinda late. The girls can get their own breakfast and they watch TV while eating until I get up. Once I get up, I grab some coffee and tell the girls to stretch and go to the bathroom. We start after that.

Me too. Glad to see I'm not the only one in this group of early risers. One time our neighbor mentioned something about us getting up early because there were house lights on at 4 am and DH replied to her that we probably hadn't gone to bed yet. :001_smile:

I'd love to be an early morning person. Today I was up about 7:30 and was so proud of myself. I felt like DH should give me a gold star or something. Little Librarian normally wakes up around 7 am but she likes to lay in bed and listen to her audiobooks for awhile before getting dressed.

What time do you get up?

I'm having a hard time figuring out a good schedule. With the exception of DS7, none of us are early risers unless we have to be. He gets up around 730/8, and he's the earliest (aside from DH, who has to be at work at 730). I'm feeling like I should get up earlier but can't find the motivation for it...:glare:

I'm having an easier time getting up when the time changes back it seems.

I get up between 7:30/8 on most days. I have a cup of coffee, take a look at our schedule for the day and set up the kids stuff (we school at the kitchen table atm). The kids get started anywhere from 8:30-9:30.

I generally get up between 7 and almost 8, depending on what we have to do out of the house that day and how soon I have to be dressed....

I get my son started on his morning reading time at 8. I don't really have to be dressed, or even up for good, LOL, in order to get him started (though I generally am)....

I don't really do anything much other than get ready if I'm up prior to 8. While he's working on school things that don't require my attention, and once I'm dressed for the day, then I do go about the house completing minor housekeeping, laundry and other chores....

In the summer, we're all up by 5:30am, during the winter it's closer to 7am (right now it's 6:30). Glass of warm milk and then straight to lessons. Breakfast is at 9:30a -- they get dressed while I make it.

For us rolling out of bed and straight to lessons works. When I let them dawdle until after breakfast it's a slog ALL DAY. Ugh. This way they are usually done with their core subjects before breakfast and we get to do the more fun stuff the rest of the morning.

fwiw, I was NOT a morning person pre-kids, but all three were early risers, even in utero! I accepted it.

What time do you get up?

Between 5am and 5:30...when one of the girls gets me up.

The girls get some fruit and watch PBS while I shower. I make up their beds and get them dressed. Then I make breakfast.

If we work on English, my big girl does that around 7:30am before breakfast. If not, then school starts about 8am at breakfast with the Bible lesson/story.

I get up around 9-10am, DS is usually up much earlier. He's allowed to play video games/watch tv until 10 am. I wake DD up soon after I get up. At 10 am they have to get ready for the day. Eat, clean up, brush teeth, get school stuff out. We start school at 11 have one 1hr break for lunch/recess. We're usually done by 3 at the latest.

DH is on 1st shift so at night he goes to bed much earlier then we do. I try to have lights out by 11pm.

We used to be on a 2nd shift schedule, not getting up until noon or later. I really don't think it matters if you start your day later then others would. As long as it works for you and your DC.

What time do you get up?

I get up between 7:30 and 8.

In the morning, I organize my desk, take care of the pets, veg out on the Internet, and maybe work on my writing.

Ds gets up around 9

We start school at 10 or 10:15.

We are not morning people. I consider a late start a perk of homeschooling. We will probably never start earlier than 9:30.

Oh, I suck down coffee until the pot is dry as well. Dh makes that every morning, I love him.

What time do you get up?

I get up at 5:30.

I exercise, eat breakfast, shower, and putter around and complete thoughts in the blissful quiet until the boys are woken up at 7:30 for family Bible Study.

We start school at 8:30.

I get up at 4:15 to start working at 4:40 a.m. I work through the morning, and into the afternoon although have 1/2 hour to 1 hour breaks here and there (I work about 30 hours a week from home). My schedule changes every semester. My husband is currently overseeing the kids' table time.

Mon-THurs, 4:30 with DH. Then I just do what I want after making his lunch and sending him off. Feed horses, have breakfast, crochet, watch something online...it's me time. Kids get up at 7 am. Fri and Sun I'm up by 7 and on Saturday...I'm normally up before 8:30...that's sleeping in for me.

Umm...*cough* I get up kinda late. The girls can get their own breakfast and they watch TV while eating until I get up. Once I get up, I grab some coffee and tell the girls to stretch and go to the bathroom. We start after that.

Yep.. this is us too. Minus the TV watching, 'cause we don't have one. They either read books or do art/craft stuff for a bit before we start on schoolwork.

I'm usually up by 9-sometimes earlier....kiddo is usually out of bed between 6-7ish....hubby's work schedule just changed from nights to 2-10pm now so that has become it's own problem....usually I'll let kiddo have free time/breakfast/clean up and then we will start studies-he's NOT a morning person--but finds it hard to concentrate with dad home so we haven't been getting to studies until later in the day the past week or so.....I really need to find something better.....

I work in the mornings so I get up at 6:20 in order to get to work by 7. I am off work by 11:30, so we start school about 12:30. Dd eats lunch when I get home then it's on to work.

Ooh, yeah. I get up at 4 on the days I work the front desk... 4 comes veeeeery early. :glare: Fortunately, I only work when my husband's home, so the school day proceeds as usual. And I get a nap at lunch time!

For us rolling out of bed and straight to lessons works. When I let them dawdle until after breakfast it's a slog ALL DAY. Ugh. This way they are usually done with their core subjects before breakfast and we get to do the more fun stuff the rest of the morning.

fwiw, I was NOT a morning person pre-kids, but all three were early risers, even in utero! I accepted it.

This is brilliant! Brilliant!!! I am totally doing that from now on. The dawdling during breakfast - or worse, the dawdling BEFORE breakfast - sets the omphaloskeptic tone for the whole day!

(I wasn't an early riser before the boys. It was a self-preservation move as I was - and still am - f.r.i.e.d by the time they go to bed.)

I'm usually awake by 8:30. I check my email, write, pay bills, check the calendar, make tea, and start a load of wash after I get up. The kids wake up any time from 7am to 10am. Everyone has be be up by 10am. Kids are supposed to get dressed, eat, and do their morning chores as soon as they get up. School starts at 10 most days, and if someone slept in until 10, they eat while they work and do chores during afternoon free time.

I have question for the EARLY risers...what time do you go to bed??

I want to get up earlier and get organized, but then I end up snoozing my alarm clock for about an hour (or so..:)). Once, I hit the snooze button so many times, it just stopped going off. I guess my clock has a limit to how many extra minutes it will allow you to sleep in before it just gives up.

I'm usually in bed at 9, asleep by 11. ( I keep falling asleep during the Mentalist :glare:) Tonight, I'm headig up at 8, but thats because I've been mudding drywall all day and New Tricks is on PBS. ;)

I use my iPhone and the Nightstand Central app. It lets you set the snooze interval and I don't think it ever gives up.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

What time do you get up?

Most mornings I get up between 7 & 8.

Get dressed, have coffee and breakfast, check email, get dinner prep done if necessary.

Usually around 10.

Ds gets up around 7 or 8 too. Like me, he likes to have time to move slowly before getting his day started.

Don't worry about what everyone else does. If you can sleep, sleep. If you ahve to get up, then get up.

In a few years when Dd doesn't need to be out of the house by 7, Dh and I will be late risers and late workers again. *bliss* I get more work done on that schedule than any early schedule I muddle through. Work to your strengths.

This has been 3 years of crankiness for us night owls, and we've got another year to go. I keep trying to get her to drive herself but she's not quite ready for that yet.

What time do you get up?
Mon.-Thurs. I have been trying for 4:30, it's hard.:tongue_smilie:
Prayer/bible (and coffee!!!) for 15-30 minutes, run for 45-60 minutes, then hang out w/ dh until 6:45 (I don't make him lunch or breakfast normally, poor guy), sneak in some computer time, 7 take care of livestock, between 7:30-8 start laundry, get breakfast, make beds, brush teeth and hair, pick-up rooms, make sure everyone is dressed, etc.
I try for 9 but am usually late.

I just started this because I can't seem to run any other time on a weekday, I tried after dh went to work but then I couldn't get everything else done in time to start school before 10 and that wasn't working for me.:glare: On the days I get up on time, which is most, it works great. If I don't get up I don't get to run so that is usually enough to motivate me to get out of bed. Dh's job is Mon.-Thurs. so those are our school days too. The other days of the week I get up between 6-7. I go to bed usually around 10, I try to be sure I get at least 6 hours of sleep on the days I get up early.:)

Edited by Happyhomemama

Sigh. I constantly PLAN to get up early and start school at 8 or 8:30. But, really, it makes me too sad. There are few things I hate more than waking up early. So I'm usually up at 8:30 or so and we start school by 9:30 or 10. And, really, that's fine. The only reason I feel bad about it is that DH has to be at work by 7:30 (fortunately it's only a 10 or 15 minute drive), so he has to be up much earlier than I do but usually goes to bed at the same time. But I don't force him to stay up late or anything! If he started going to bed earlier, I probably would, too, and then I'd probably actually wake up earlier.

6:15 - get up, get dressed, take meds

6:30 - out the door to walk the dog for an hour

7:30 - arrive at home, get the kids out of bed so they can feed/supervise the dog and I shower

8:00 - I eat breakfast, drink tea, check email, remind kids to finish up their morning routines (teeth, hair, face,dressed, a couple chores)

8:30 - we are supposed to start school. Ds18 is usually ready. The other two are dawdlers. So, I chat with him about his progress while I keep at the youngers to get a move on.

8:50 - ds18 leaves for his college classes.

9:00 - we really start school, but by then, I am distracted by email, the boards, facebook and stuff I need to do.

My goal is to get up at 7:30 and I usually get up between 7:30-8:00. If I get up early enough I just relax a bit and read some Bible. If the kids do not wake on their own I wake them between 8-8:30. When they get up they get dressed and I put on a Spanish learning show while we eat breakfast. After breakfast the kids do a short workout while I shower. We then do a Spanish lesson together. After this we start seat work between 9:30-10:00.

I wish I could sleep later. I have adrenal issues which causes lots of night waking and early, early morning waking. Now that the time has changed it is around 3:30am. Good: I get a lot of me-time - for reading and computer. Bad: I'm so darn tired!

Kids get up at 7:00. We do the barn (horses, chickens, rabbits, cats, dog, ducks) and they get started on their lessons while I make breakfast. They have a checklist for each day that tells them what needs to be done and they can choose the order. I help my son a lot more (especially with Math and Grammar) and my daughter is mostly independent unless she is stumped with math. So I float and clean or cook in between. They have some chores that they can do when they need a break from the books. They finish their morning subjects by 11:00 at the latest and we take a break until 1:30 (I nap!) then we do two classes in the afternoons together that I lead. We are usually finished by 2:30.

I've always been an early riser...

Back when we homeschooled, I started lessons by 8 or so, always earlier than 9.

I've always had quiet time in the morning before my children get up. Sip tea or coffee... read a bit... I loved getting an early start schooling.

Currently I wake by 6am, usually about 5:30, unless I've stayed up a bit later... Still have my coffee and quiet time, kids are up by 6:30 and and out the door at 7:10 and 7:45.

What time do you get up?

I get up at 5:45-6. I spend about 30-45 min. quiet time. :D Then I start getting my oldest son up. I am finished with him at about 8:45. I eat my breakfast(dh gets breakfast for himself and my youngest two), get dressed and try to be at the school table by 9:15. Many days it is 9:30 though. We are normally finished between 12 and 1 depending on the work sheets we have with science and history and if there is an experiment. Many times we will do the experiments after lunch.