Menu

If you HAD to pick one, which is more important, math or writing ability?

Guest submarines
I say writing is more important because you have to be able to communicate. For math, there are calculators, computer programs, and accountants. :)

:iagree:

To me, it is a moot question. The most important skill is the one you were gifted with.

The world needs mathematicians; the world needs writers. The world needs artists and athletes, mechanics and agriculturalists, scientists and historians, plumbers and accountants and trash collectors. Do the best you can with the skills you were given.

Of course they are both equally important, but if I MUST choose one or the other I'd say that writing ability trumps math skills. Communication is undoubtably the most important life skill one can possess. Without that, knowing numbers wouldn't matter nearly as much.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Yes, I am only giving you two choices. Just a silly poll. And define important however you want. Important in life, important to get a job, important to be happy...I don't care :)

ETA; arg, the poll didn't post. Oh well. :glare:

It is very hard to think on a Friday night. Ouch!

I don't see how it could be writing as I know so many people who are living their whole lives week after week without writing a thing. But they still need to pay their bills and keep their checking accounts.

So math. :)

Writing. People immediately judge you on your writing ability. If you can't write an effective sentence or misspell every other word, you'll be viewed as incompetent. And as far as careers and job searching, it's the first impression you make.

I say math. If you're good at math, your logic skills will transfer over to your writing. If you're good at writing...well, I'm doubting there's much transfer to math.

There's not. ;)

Signed by a decent writer, good artist and fantastically terrible mathematician!

Humans had math ability long before we had the ability to record our comings and goings.

I prefer writing to math, but I say math.

We're *here*-- meaning *this particular place in front of our computers* because of writing ability, but the ability to communicate this way is rooted in mathematics.

Humans managed to create housing, machinery, tools, trade etc long before we were figured out how to blog.

If I had to choose between understanding all aspects of math or understanding all aspects of writing, I would choose math knowledge without a second blink.

Edited by LibraryLover

As someone who does a lot of writing, I would say math. I prefer that bridges not fall down when I drive across them.

Math. If you can't do math, all the STEM fields are essentially closed to you. There aren't nearly as many jobs available to people whose only strength is writing.

I vote Math. Higher income (affects my life more) from STEM fields ... unless you're J. K. Rowling. Think how painstaking writing would be if we didn't have computers, word processors, etc. I love my a/c, appliances, cell phone, IPad, minivan, etc too much :lol:

Much of today's written communication is email, texting, and facebook - formal writing is going down the drain. Sorry this post sounds so anti-TWTM.

Humans had math ability long before we had the ability to record our comings and goings.

I prefer writing to math, but I say math.

We're *here*-- meaning *this particular place in front of our computers* because of writing ability, but the ability to communicate this way is rooted in mathematics.

Humans managed to create housing, machinery, tools, trade etc long before we were figured out how to blog.

If I had to choose between understanding all aspects of math or understanding all aspects of writing, I would choose math knowledge without a second blink.

LIKE!!! :thumbup:

I would pick Math. The techniques for writing well do not HAVE to be taught. They can be picked up by reading lots of good literature and through discussions which enable clear thinking. Math on the other hand needs instruction.

I would say writing - as most real jobs require you to be able to write a report, even if math is not part of the job.

(that said, only of one of my kids didn't do at least one college semester worth of calculus in addition to high school - but he will have to do it - as I'm pretty big on math too.)

Writing. Basic arithmetic skills will get most adults through life. Poor writing skills will hamper adults in most aspects of their lives. I work (in a local beer/liquor store) with a guy who has been the night manager for quite some time. He wants to be on day shift and was hoping recently to get switched. Instead, they hired someone new to do the job my co-worker wanted. I couldn't understand why until I realized that the new guy was responsible for maintaining the store's Facebook page and other written-communication types of tasks. My night-shift co-worker has very poor writing skills and wouldn't be able to do the job. And this is a minimum-wage environment, so even at a low-level job, poor writing skills have an impact.

Tara

I think it needs to be one or the other. Not having either would be too big of a deficit in life. But I think a person could live with just one or the other as there is always a job that focuses more on one or another and someone/something to make up the difference. Of course, I'm assuming the person has a basic skill level in the weaker skill regardless. By "ability," I'm assuming more than a basic skill.

Obviously, writing is not my ability :)

For living in the world, I would say math. Innumeracy seems to me a much bigger problem in our country than not writing well. You can do fine in adult life without writing. You need math skills to get along in the world. I am talking about mathematical understanding- not specific skills. So no, one doesn't need to memorize multiplication tables though that is helpful. But not being scared of math, understanding math, those things are important.

It depends on the student, I think.

While I set out with the goal of making sure my kids had a well-rounded, rigorous education across the board, the truth is that they insisted on having personalities and interests and all of that stuff. And, at a certain point, it became clear that neither of them was going to go into careers that require tons of math. They are both creative, liberal arts types.

So, while we keep plugging away at math and trying to make good progress every year, at some point I decided to emphasize the things that are likely to be most helpful to them in college and life. And in each one's case, it's been writing and language skills rather than math.

I find the question hysterical.

I see all the writers waxing eloquent as to why writing is more important. They will write beautifully drafted, emotional, thoughtful answers.

The math people won't answer because there is no "real" answer.

Actually, it looks like most of the people saying "math" explain that it's because you make more money that way. So, having more math skills should help you count it, I guess. (Note, please, that I didn't say "all." There were people who voted math but had more eloquent reasons.)

I stand by my answer: I think it's most important to do what you love, since you'll be better at it and be happier. The world needs both kinds of people. I don't want to live in a world in which, as another poster said, the bridges fall down. However, I don't think people who have been forced to build bridges because "that's where the money is" are likely to be especially great at it. I'd much rather leave the bridge building to people who love it and let the others do things I consider equally important.

Yes, I am only giving you two choices. Just a silly poll. And define important however you want. Important in life, important to get a job, important to be happy...I don't care :)

ETA; arg, the poll didn't post. Oh well. :glare:

I don't think they are exclusive of one another. Usually one sees a student who is more naturally talented at one over the other. In that situation, it seems best to focus on the one that is not a 'talent' or a 'gift'.

Our world needs mathematicians and engineers every bit as much as it needs writers (scientific, historic, and 'just for fun' types). Can one truly say one is more important in life? If a person has a bent to become a writer, should we force one to become 'mathematical' in order to be more successful or happy? Is it possible that a writer who becomes a mathematician (or a career utilizing math) will be happier in life? I don't think so.

In our home, both are of primary importance. My boys are much better at math (naturally) than they are at writing. I don't expect to see beautifully written essays...their ability level in writing is not the same as their ability level in math.

I just can't pick one or the other because they are both of equal importance in our world. And mathematically-prone individuals need to learn to communicate effectively (in written form) just as much as word-prone ;) individuals need to understand mathematics (up to a level) in order to function in our world.

I don't know if I'm doing this right:

110 1101 110 0001 110 0100 110 1000

My dh couldn't wax eloquently on paper, but he sure used a lot of math in construction. You can't calculate angles with Shakespeare.

I prefer writing, but overall I think math is more important.

Blaise Pascal, Isaac Newton, Galileo - all mathematicians who were also writers. If they had not been good at writing, we might never have learned of their scientific/mathematical achievements. If they hadn't been good at mathematics, we might not have the scientific knowledge we do today.

Happiness, IMO, is a choice. Some find money makes them happy, others are fulfilled by creating beauty and are content with few 'things'. Many people choose to be happy in whatever circumstances they find themselves.

For living in the world, I would say math. Innumeracy seems to me a much bigger problem in our country than not writing well. You can do fine in adult life without writing. You need math skills to get along in the world. I am talking about mathematical understanding- not specific skills. So no, one doesn't need to memorize multiplication tables though that is helpful. But not being scared of math, understanding math, those things are important.

Math is more important. I think there needs to be a fundamental understanding of conceptual math. If you don't write well, it probably won't ruin you, but if you don't understand math, it can make your entire life challenging. Right now, we see situations where young adults made college decisions independent of potential income or tuition cost, and it's devastating their lives. Personally, I think everyone should have a course in personal finance early in high school so they can see how math is vitally important and make life and college choices with the proper education.

To me, writing denotes an ordering of the mind to effect good communication. That said, I think it is the first essential ingredient. Often, you will find that those whose love is math have a more difficult time communicating in groups and in expressing themselves to a diverse group of people. I have seen this first hand in the work world. Writing, according to my definition -ha, also assumes having the ability to read, digest and then present a synthesis of the material. Granted , many who are strong in the STEM areas are good at writing/communicating too. I have one of those under my roof. I also have an architect dh who cannot communicate well. Perhaps it is a personality issue; perhaps not. I still vote for writing!

To me, it is a moot question. The most important skill is the one you were gifted with.

The world needs mathematicians; the world needs writers. The world needs artists and athletes, mechanics and agriculturalists, scientists and historians, plumbers and accountants and trash collectors. Do the best you can with the skills you were given.

So if you're a really awesome writer, what happens when someone doesn't speak the language you are so well versed in? You hand them your communication and they can't read it. I believe their is less of a language barrier in math.

Of course one might make the point that we need language to support math. E=mc^2 is part language.

Interesting discussion.