Menu

Dying cat...don't know what to do

Tigger is 15 years old, and went into the vet yesterday for a lot of tests because she was losing weight and being less active. The vet thinks she probably has a tumor in her abdomen, based on ultrasounds and x-rays, and did a biopsy.

Since we brought her home, she's hidden under the bed, and hasn't come out, not even to sleep with us at night. She doesn't want to eat, not even tuna or chicken. She just seems to have given up.

DH doesn't want to put her to sleep, because she's not at the point her sister was at when she had advanced kidney disease, where she literally couldn't walk and was so obviously suffering-but it's obvious, to me, that Tigger is just curled up in her ball, waiting for the end.

To make matters worse, DH has a business trip next week. DD and I were going to go with him and have our Fall break-which both of us really, really need. We were both looking forward to a few days of hanging out in the hotel, watching more TV than usual (two BIG TVs), swimming, playing with her friends who moved due to company relocation (and learning more Hindi from her friends), and going to the American Girl store. I could stay home with Tigger, but that would mean DD would have to stay home, too, and she'd miss the trip-all for a cat who has been grumpy to her since she was conceived.

Our cat sitter is a 17 yr old homeschooled teen who wants to be a vet-and I don't want her to walk in and find a dead cat. She's a sweet, sensitive girl, and that seems too much to put her through. But I can't see putting the poor cat through being boarded at the vet when she's already suffering, instead of letting her stay, curled up under the bed in her home.

So...what do I do? Besides hope that the vet calls today with some better result from the tests and a plan of treatment?

:grouphug: So sorry. I think that you need to have a conversation with your DH. If it were my cat, I would put her to sleep. We had to do that with our cat last year when she stopped eating. She was 17 years old and lived a good, long life. Her brother had kidney issues and I think suffered the last few weeks of his life because my DH didn't want to have him put to sleep. He finally relented but I know that he regretted making the cat suffer because of his feelings.

I waited too long to put my old dog down. I knew she was suffering but felt I couldn't do it. I'll never wait that long again. When she passed in my arms I felt her relax and for a moment before she was gone she was pain free and the look in her eyes is something I'll never forget. It made me regret not freeing her sooner. I felt selfish because I couldn't let her go.

As long as there is no hope for a treatment that will ensure kitty a pain free quality of life then I would choose the humane option to let her go. :grouphug:

I'm sorry about your kitty. We had to put our 16 yo cat down a little over a year ago. It was a tough decision but he was similar to what you describe. He wouldn't eat or really move much.

Does your vet really expect her to improve? Ours didn't, so we decided it was best to have him pass peacefully.

He also was a very grumpy cat and my middle son never interacted with him much at all. Still, he took it pretty hard when we had to put Clarence down. All the kids were sad. We needed to get out of the house that day to get their minds off of it. I'm thinking it could be similar for your daughter and going away could be a nice diversion for her. :grouphug:

Edited by luvnlattes

We had to put our cat to sleep last year and it is so tough. I do wish I done so a little bit sooner as I felt the time was near but thought she would go naturally. She lingered for much longer than expected and although she did not seem to be in any pain, her quality of life was very poor.

I think taking her to the vet to be put to sleep allowed the kids to say goodbye. No matter the choice, it is always hard to say goodbye to a beloved pet. :grouphug:

I agree; I'd put her down. It truly is not a traumatic event to the animal; it's sad for us, but the animal doesn't know any different.

With a suffering animal, it's much kinder for the human to bear the pain of losing the pet, than to let it continue to die slowly.

We were in the exact same place this past spring. Our 13 year old cat started acting puny, then quite eating, so we took him to the vet. An x-ray showed a mass and fluid in his belly. Lab results showed it was liver cancer. And liver cancer in cats tends to be a rapidly progressing and painful cancer. We had him euthanized two days later. It was the kindest thing we could do for him. It was horrible for us, but it would have been selfish to let him linger. He was so sick. He was still walking around at times, but he mostly just laid around. The night before we had him put down, he couldn't even get up on the bed (he always slept on my husband's chest). So Patrick picked him up and put him up there. He stayed right there all night.

Anyway, I think you know it's time. Don't let him hurt. Sometimes the best and most selfless thing we can do for our pets is let them go. I'm very sorry. :grouphug:

I had to put down my beloved Rocky 4 years ago, he had advanced kidney disease and just stopped eating, he had been a large cat and got down to less than 6 pounds. The thing that made me decide was the sight of seeing my dd with Rocky and surrounded by several cans of different kinds of cat food, baby food, tuna, etc and she was crying trying to get him to eat and he would not eat. I feel that I held on too long but I was the one that could not let go. It was a very hard decision.

Agreeing with others that now is the time. Animals tend to hide when in pain due to protect themselves when they are vulnerable. Cats, in particular, can easily have kidney problems if they stop eating. Kidney failure is a very painful death. Cancer is painful too. I would end his suffering.

Anyway, I think you know it's time. Don't let him hurt. Sometimes the best and most selfless thing we can do for our pets is let them go. I'm very sorry. :grouphug:

:grouphug: I'm sorry...but it's time. The factor I would go by is that she is not going to get any better. Don't prolong it.

(I put down my kitty of 17 years...)

:iagree::grouphug:

It's so hard but kitty is obviously in pain. I would have her put down this week.

We have our beloved dog put down a few years ago (after a 2 year battle with cancer). We had him put down on a Monday evening then we we went on a trip with DH's family on Wednesday. It was a great distraction to be gone for several days.

I'm so sorry.:crying:

I lost my 13 year old cat, Sissy, in July to a tumor in her abdomen. She was losing weight, but her stomach was still fat. :(

From the time she was diagnosed until she died was almost exactly one month. She continued to eat until the very last day - and when she stopped eating, that is when I knew it was time to let her go. A cat that doesn't feel well enough to eat and has an inoperable tumor in her stomach is ready to go, IMO. You can hold on to her until she is so pitiful it breaks your heart or you can softly send her to play over the rainbow bridge.

Rebecca (the cat lady)

I'm a vet tech, and a cat lover, and gently....she needs to be put to sleep. She is suffering. She is starving to death. And that isn't pleasant. Also, after going without food for about 48 hours her liver will start to fail, which causes intense naseau and pain. The reason she is hiding is she feels like crap. Even if she isn't in actual pain she IS suffering. Please end her life now. She is not going to get better, so there is no point in making her go through this. Please don't make her experience more suffering. Be blunt with your husband.

I waited too long to put my old dog down. I knew she was suffering but felt I couldn't do it. I'll never wait that long again. When she passed in my arms I felt her relax and for a moment before she was gone she was pain free and the look in her eyes is something I'll never forget. It made me regret not freeing her sooner. I felt selfish because I couldn't let her go.

As long as there is no hope for a treatment that will ensure kitty a pain free quality of life then I would choose the humane option to let her go. :grouphug:

:iagree:I did the same thing with a beloved cat of ours and I will NEVER do it again. Put the cat to sleep and end her suffering. It's what is best for her.

She has advanced lung cancer that has spread. We brought her home on pain meds to say goodbye (and so the other cats could be present-we have two younger ones) and will have the mobile vet come out tonight. My poor baby...she and her sister (who died several years ago) were our first babies as a family-bottle fed since before their eyes were opened, rescued when a sharp eyed shelter volunteer saw a man drop a bag off into the river and went to investigate. We're going to miss her so much!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

She has advanced lung cancer that has spread. We brought her home on pain meds to say goodbye (and so the other cats could be present-we have two younger ones) and will have the mobile vet come out tonight. My poor baby...she and her sister (who died several years ago) were our first babies as a family-bottle fed since before their eyes were opened, rescued when a sharp eyed shelter volunteer saw a man drop a bag off into the river and went to investigate. We're going to miss her so much!

I am truly sorry, but know you are doing what is best for her. It hurts so bad, but time heals. :grouphug:

Awww, I'm so, so sorry. :grouphug: I've been in your shoes, and I know it hurts.