Menu

Trick or Treating Poll

What is the oldest age you allow your children to trick or treat? Post where you live  

1. 1. What is the oldest age you allow your children to trick or treat? Post where you live

• Under age 12
    • 18 and up
    • We don't trick or treat
    • Other (please explain)

I would let my kids trick or treat at any age as long as they dressed up! Halloween is fun. Kids grow up too fast. If they want to act young again and dress up, I'd let them!!!

My two oldest decided they were too old when they were 14. I was sad, but I understand. My 11 yo still does it.

ETA: We live in suburban Detroit.

I would guess around 15. I am assuming you mean by themselves, not taking a younger sibling or something. Young teens in groups, are okay. Older teens, get annoying. It is like not being able to use the baby swing at the park because a teenager is sitting in it.

I think beyond 15 or so, it is odd to see older teens TorTing without a younger sidekick. Honestly, 15 is still pushing it but I wouldn't stop then if they really wanted to. I would discourage them from going early, and ask them to head out a bit later so the little kids have more chances to TorT. I would be sad as a parent to have given all my candy to older kids, and have to turn off the lights when there are still littles about.

My boys are still little but I can't see myself putting an age limit on trick or treating as I imagine they will do that themselves. I would want them to be in a costume and of course polite.

On a side note, last night we were stuck behind some very rude older trick or treaters. After I pointed it out to dh, I realized one of them waited very patiently for all of the little kids to go first even though his friends were screaming for him to hurry. He told them he was being "patient" and letting the little ones go first. I wished I could tell his parents how impressed I was :)

When I was a kid, my parents only allowed trick-or-treating through the end of elementary school (sixth grade). Seventh grade brought new privileges, new responsibilities, and the end of free candy from strangers. That seems about right to me.

I'm in the "any age" camp. As long as they still want to go, dress up, and are polite about it, they can decide for themselves when they want to stop. I think the last year I myself trick-or-treated was the year I was 16. I'm glad nobody told me I had to stop before then.

My special needs daughter is 19. This year I encouraged her to just walk along with her brother and sister with a little face paint on for fun and said they'd share their candy with her, and she was fine with that. Last year when she was 18, I let her trick or treat one last year.

My younger two are only 11 and 6 but I will let them decide when they want to stop. I expect it to be anywhere between around 14 and 16 but we'll see!

When she is ready. Up until last night I was firm that the trick or treating would end at age 13. My friend straightened out my thinking when, in front of dd, she informed me that it was all in good fun and her 15 year old went out with a friend. They were Jake and Elwood Blues.

I'll give candy to adults if they are out walking with the kids and they have dressed up! As long as you have a costume you're in.

14 yos, wearing regular clothes "because serial kills look like everyone else" however doesn't cut and when they get here, we are either suddenly out of candy, or they get the yucky stuff we've already pulled out of my son's bag.

I would let my kids trick or treat at any age as long as they dressed up! Halloween is fun. Kids grow up too fast.

:iagree:

My 12yo did dress up, but he decided to take a plate of cupcakes to his best friend. He knocked on the door, said, "trick-or-treat!" and handed them the goodies.

He stayed for a while to help hand out candy to the little ones.

If they had decided they wanted to trick-or-treat, I would have been happy to let them go, and I suspect our neighbors would have been happy to see them.

I'm in FL and I don't care how old they are as long as they're dressed up. We had several teens out last night and their costumes were fun and they were all well-behaved. (There were lots of adults dressed up, too!) We all TOT through high school when I was growing up and that was in TX.

I think the last year I myself trick-or-treated was the year I was 16. I'm glad nobody told me I had to stop before then.

I went trick-or-treating when I was around 15 because we had just moved to a new place (new state, no friends yet) & my sister (younger by 5 years) loved Halloween & wanted someone to go w/ her. I dressed up & we went out for a night of fun, maybe to get to know a few new neighbors.... Well, one of the first houses had a lady there who was extremely rude to me, criticizing & lecturing me because I was too old to be trick-or-treating (never mind that I was standing there w/ my younger sister). :001_huh: She didn't give me any candy either. I was so stunned by her behavior that I didn't say anything in response.

Anyway, so many, many years later, I still remember that nasty lady. Basically, I say a 'pox' on those who are nasty to teens trick-or-treating. Sometimes the adults are the ones with no manners.

Just my 2 cents, of course....

Dd was the oldest ToTer here last night. She will be 10 next week and is worried she will have to give it up or be called a baby by the neighbors. 8 yr old kids here are saying they are too old.:confused: We only had 5 kids call at our house. I'm in Ireland so ToT is not as big a deal here.

I voted "other" because I would like my kids to decide themselves. Hopefully it will be when they think it's time to stop without giving in to peer pressure.

I stopped it at 12. I live in Maryland. I would not say this is typical; it's just my personal comfort level. I do get grief from a lot of people who do not think dd (14 now) is too old to ToT. Oh well. I do.

I would be amenable to hosting a party or taking her somewhere that is not ToT where she can be costumed, but so far, she hasn't wanted it so - there you go.

Around our area (NorCal), kids trick-or-treat through Jr. High. We see a few high schoolers dressed up here and there, but they are usually tagging along with youngers and stay towards the back. We offer them candy too. Last night, dd decided that she was done with trick-or-treating. :sad: She would rather stay at home and hand out candy to all the cute little ones. She said she would still dress up for me though!

No age limit - as long as they dress up and have fun, they can go. (As it turns out, mine do not want to anymore). I don't mind having older kids come t&t'ing, as long as they are in costume.

What bugs me more are adults holding a dressed up baby who is clearly too little for candy, or older kids who don't bother to dress up.

Thanks for all your responses.

We have T or T with the same family for years. She decided her 15yo was too old. In the end, my 15yo did not T or T either, though I'm sure he would have wanted to otherwise. In hindsight, I should have let him choose.

I wanted to see if our neighborhood is an exception. We get tons of teenagers. My 10yo often seemed one of the youngest out there last night.

Keep those votes coming!

I don't think it will be a matter of "allowing" our kids to ToT at any age. I'm guessing that there are regional differences to the age ranges too. We saw several ToTers who were well into their teenage years last night and they had fun too.

So I'm going to say that my kids can ToT until they decide they are done. But I secretly hope they do it for a LONG time more!

I'm in northern Michigan. :)

What is the oldest age that you allow your child to trick or treat? Some of my friends wanted me to make a poll.

Please post where you live.

We don't have any age rules… as long as they want to dress up and go, they can. Heck - this is the first year that I didn't dress up and go too. :p

Oh and I'm Canadian.

As long as you dress up. That does mean putting some effort into your costume. Putting on a silly hat doesn't count.

We had some strange costumes at our house. No clue what they were. But they did take some effort. Someone had boxes tied to his body all over. Another person was carrying transparent plastic garbage bags full of balloons. She also had on a strange hat, face makeup, and something big on one hand. (I think it was a pillow duct taped on her hand)

I just feel by the time you have kids of your own that you should except not to be getting candy anymore.

As long as they make an attempt at dressing up and are polite, age doesn't matter. My 14 yo went TOT last night. The oldest one in the group he was with is almost 16.

:iagree: We live in the upper mid west. My 11 year old is so short he could probably go several more years without a problem. But if they're out with groups of friends, well behaved, and dressed up, I have no issues with older kids coming to the door.

I did take issue with the young mother of a 2 year old that came to the door with a bag for her 2 year old and a bag for herself. Ummm ... isn't the 2 year old's candy bag 95% for the parents anyway?

My older dd is 16, and went out this year. She said she doesn't plan to next year, but we'll see what happens. So I answered "other".

However, my kids don't just go up and knock on a door and say "trick or treat". Last year they choreographed an Irish Dance routine that they performed at each house (they've taken lessons for years, and have competed regionally and nationally -- they're good at it). This year they sang and danced as The Haynes Sisters from White Christmas. I think you can go a lot older if you're willing to put in some effort.

(Videos of both routines are available on my blog. I think we might have some older ones, too.)

We live in Central Va. Around here, you don't trick-or treat after about age 13, unless you are a part of a theme... for example, on of ds's friends dressed up as "Patsy" complete with coconuts and his little brother was King Arthur. But as far as getting candy? 13. Over that is just not done here.

Wow, I wish they'd come to my house! I keep telling my kids to dress up like that! Or maybe the Spanish Inquisition ....

I used to care, but I got over it. My teenagers (15 and 13) went out last night and I had plenty of teens come to my door. Better that than some of the more "adult" activities that teenagers choose to do. I'll happily give them candy (costume or not).

Two years ago, my younger boy (he was 11!!!) had a person refuse to give him candy. He was dressed up and with me and my daughter (she was 8). She put candy in her bag and turned away.

Two years ago, my younger boy (he was 11!!!) had a person refuse to give him candy. He was dressed up and with me and my daughter (she was 8). She put candy in her bag and turned away.

That is terrible! :( I would never refuse to give someone candy. Ever. If they care enough to come to the door and ring the bell, I can drop a mini hersheys in their pillow case/bag. Good grief!

I always find it odd to see teens trick-or-treating here. It just.. isn't done.

Or WASN'T. Saw a couple out last night that looked about 17, by themselves, clearly trick-or-treating.

I feel the same way about young moms and babies (too young for candy.. like less than 1) out supposedly trick-or-treating.

imho, it's for elementary kids. But I think 10 was the last year I went. My own 10yo went gleefully last night, and I'm certain next year he'll want to go, too.

As long as they dress appropriately and are polite, I'll probably let them trick or treat as long as they wish. I've never minded older kids coming to my house, as long as they wear a costume. The ones that annoy me are the teens with no costumes, who don't even have the courtesy to say "Trick or Treat" or Thank you." They just hold their bags open and expect a treat.

I'm in central NC, and I think most kids stop by 13 or 14.

For some reason, I have a different opinion on teen girls and boys trick or treating. While I don't mind having 15 or 16 year old girls come to the door (especially when they've clearly put effort into their costumes), seeing boys that old and tall seems odd to me. So, I'd say 16/17 for girls and about 14 for boys.

Anyone of any age is welcome to Trick or Treat at my door.

As for the question...HUH? Allow? :confused: I'm going to introduce them to something fun, and then someday tell them they are too old for it? NOPE not it my world.

I live on a sandbar at the southern tip of New Jersey.

It seems like most people who commented said they would allow their kids to T or T as long as they want. I find it interesting that less than half of the poll respondents chose 18 and up or 'other.'

I really don't understand the dislike that some people have for teenage trick or treaters. If they have a costume on, why shouldn't they go out and have fun?

It's pretty common to see teens take their little sibs around here - the same teens who walk their sibs and cousins home from school every day. Having been a teenager in charge of a younger sibling, I really don't begrudge them the chocolate. Other teens go out too, but I can't get fussed about it. Let them have the treats. Big deal.

It seems like most people who commented said they would allow their kids to T or T as long as they want. I find it interesting that less than half of the poll respondents chose 18 and up or 'other.'

I really don't understand the dislike that some people have for teenage trick or treaters. If they have a costume on, why shouldn't they go out and have fun?

I don't get it either. Good grief. If my 17 year old is interested enough in candy to figure out a costume and walk around neighborhoods looking for it, then awesome!!! He/she isn't sitting at home playing Doom on the Wii. :lol:

I saw a teenager, last night, dressed up as a bed. I'm guessing a huge box, with suspenders, though it was covered with a sheet. It was slightly smaller than a twin size bed. It had a pillow attached on one side.

It deserved good candy. :)

We saw lots of teens T or T'ing (dressed up) and lots passing out candy.

So, I vote as long as they are willing to dress up. I'm in Oklahoma.

Edited by snickelfritz

Where I grew up, it's a huge deal to dress up for Halloween senior year. As in you talk about your idea for senior year all through high school. They are usually group costumes. My senior year we had California rasins and the Village People (however Justin the Indian must have about froze!). But it's a huge deal. A lot of time, money and effort go into these. You parade through the high school and then walk down to the middle school and do a parade there.

All that to say, since you are waiting for the chance to do this in 12th grade, every one pretty much dresses up and TorT's all through high school.