Menu

Mom Jeans and the dreaded "Long Butt Syndrome"

Do you wear mom jeans?  

1. 1. Do you wear mom jeans?

• Yes, I proudly wear them - and even with an elastic waist!
    • Yes, I have a pair or two but am willing to branch out.
    • No, I only wear cute butt jeans
    • No, because I wear dresses/skirts only

I recently found this blog about how to have flattering jeans. The photos really made me think twice about pocket placement for sure. The author's writing style is pretty funny - and I love that she helped her 50+ mom find flattering non-mom jeans too.

How mom jeans make you look 30 lbs heavier and your butt 2x as big

A few months ago during one of our more “social†small group gatherings (in which all of the guys tend to gravitate to the kitchen to be closest to the snacks while the girls sit in the living room where they can talk about “girl stuffâ€), Lydia shared with us a deep fear that has been seated in her heart for a long time.

Being that she is in her early 30′s, the possibility of it coming to pass was getting closer and closer. She was sorely afraid – nay, terrified even – of attaining the dreaded “long butt†that seems to happen to moms in their mid-30′s or early 40′s.

She said that she didn’t mind if she had a little extra curvature, a.k.a. junk in tha trunk, but she just didn’t want her butt to get LONG.

I quickly jumped in, because, you see, I often ponder about deep issues such as this. I told her that Long Butt is not a “condition†that some women contract – butts don’t elongate. It’s actually all about the jeans. And, to be more specific, the pocket placement on the jeans. It is a symptom completely avoidable by ensuring proper knowledge in how to outfit one’s butt.

Part 2: New Studies Prove that Replacing Mom Jeans Can Result in Surgery-Free Liposuction

In my last post on Mom Jeans, I promised to show you that it can be done – you can be an older, or more “mature†Mom and not have to wear Mom Jeans. In fact, my aim was to show that someone who already admittedly wears dreadful Mom Jeans can be miraculously transformed simply by wearing the right cut of denim.

My Mom had agreed to be my subject for this before the first post was published, but I was afraid she would back out after seeing the graphic detail that I included in my project. However, when I saw her at a family lunch the day after it posted, she told me she was ready to go the next day.

So we promised to meet at the research facility the next morning.

Then I got nervous.

What if I couldn’t pull this off?

What if she hopelessly had The Dreaded Long Butt and my theories were wrong?

What if it truly was not avoidable in some cases?

Oh, the anxiety was gripping.

But I was relieved, delighted, and a wee bit shocked at the outcome of our research. So, without further ado, here is my report.

I try to wear cute-butt jeans, but they often come paired with muffin tops or butt-crack shows. I have a couple cute-butt jeans right now, but they are too big after I have them on for 10 minutes and I am constantly pulling up my jeans. Don't say the word "belt" because that pretty much guarantees muffin top. The only solution to that mid section roll is a visit to Dr. 90210. Losing 20 lbs and getting to a healthy weight did nothing.

I try to wear cute-butt jeans, but they often come paired with muffin tops or butt-crack shows. I have a couple cute-butt jeans right now, but they are too big after I have them on for 10 minutes and I am constantly pulling up my jeans. Don't say the word "belt" because that pretty much guarantees muffin top. The only solution to that mid section roll is a visit to Dr. 90210. Losing 20 lbs and getting to a healthy weight did nothing.

Two words: SHAPEWEAR (Spanx, Flexees, Assets by Spanx at Target) and PILATES - losing weight won't pull in the transverse abdominal muscles, but pilates exercises are a.m.a.z.i.n.g. - they work far better than any sort of ab workout I have ever done.

(Though I find for me that a belt prevents muffin top b/c if I wear a chunky belt it gives my stomach more space above in the jeans)

I think there is something wrong with me. I liked one pair of the mom jeans the best out of all the options - not *most* of them (gag) but my favorite was a mom jean. Am I the only one that notices that some of the non-mom jeans give a saggy looking butt? I don't like saggy butt either. I don't know why that's preferable to a long butt especially when those pants typically have you also dealing with the muffin top and the butt crack issue. But I've never been accused of being a fashionista. :D

I will take care not to show my socks though. eww.

I do not buy jeans that:

1. Make me look like I am wearing an adult diaper
  2. Have a waist that is higher than my natural hip (I have 1.5" between my hip and rib cage and do not wish to be tied like a sausage in that little area)
  3. Have pockets disproportionate to the tuchas - either gigantic or teeny-tiny, they make the space back there appear HUGE
  4. Have pockets that rest on the backs of my legs, partially or entirely
  5. Have elastic. I'm sorry, I am not a toddler or pregnant, and I have opposable thumbs.
  6. Bunch. Anywhere. Tight ankles, knees, behind... just no. (this rules out ON jeans for me, "reverse" cut, and anything labeled "skinny")
  7. Have lycra. They grab/bunch in crazy places and spend the day sliding down my hiney to give the diaper butt with misplaced pockets look. :ack2:

I also rule out pre-fab "wear" with as much prejudice as painted on "grill marks".

Eta: I liked the dark wash Levi's but I have the same problem they described: waist seems to bear no relation to the size of the rest of the pants. They are squeezing the life out of you if you try a skin tight 6 or a 16 you're positively swimming in.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Two words: SHAPEWEAR (Spanx, Flexees, Assets by Spanx at Target) and PILATES - losing weight won't pull in the transverse abdominal muscles, but pilates exercises are a.m.a.z.i.n.g. - they work far better than any sort of ab workout I have ever done.

(Though I find for me that a belt prevents muffin top b/c if I wear a chunky belt it gives my stomach more space above in the jeans)

Wow!! That's a lot of work. I'm tired already. Pass the mom jeans. :D

Sorry, but I am over 50 and Mom jeans are the only thing that is comfy. I figure if folks don't like to see my mom butt, they can look elsewhere. Amanda jeans by Gloria Vanderbilt. That's it.

:iagree:

44 but if I could find Mom jeans I'd wear them. Wore them even when I wasn't a Mom in the 80's. I do not like the look of jeans these days.

And in my case until those low slung jeans come with a wide load sign for my ample butt I'm not buying them.:tongue_smilie:

The first subject does NOT look like a size 6. The second does not look like a size 8. They both look larger, to me.

I would guess they shop at places with vanity sizing - I wear at least 2 sizes smaller at places like Kohls, Target and Old Navy than I do at higher end stores that have more old fashioned sizing.

NO mom jeans!!! Ever!!! There is simply no need to do this to yourself.

The funniest part of that post was the "Grandma" jeans. "If you can't tell your front from your back, you are off the Grandma jeans deep end." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go for the cute butt, ladies. Avoid mom jeans!!

Where do you even buy mom jeans? I wear normal jeans. You can wear modern jeans that aren't super low cut. If they aren't comfortable or you have muffin top than try a different brand. If you are curvy, you'll have to look harder to find the right fit.

Here are some amazing mom jeans ;).

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_007B3891000P?prdNo=6

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_007A0100000P?prdNo=1

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_007A5449000P?prdNo=9

Edited by Sevilla

I have the same problem, BUT I have to say that after reading this article I finally know that it isn't really the low waist versus a bit higher waist, but the pocket placement that makes a difference.

This is the most important thing I learned all day, and I know that I will buy jeans differently from now on. I am excited to go shopping, which I never am.

The first pair of mom jeans worn by subject B are my favorite jeans. I wear them almost daily. They are the most comfortable jeans I've ever found and they don't give me a muffin top. Every other pair of jeans I've tried are uncomfortable, ride up my crotch, give me a horrible muffin top, and/or just plain unwearable due to discomfort. I did buy a pair of lower rise jeans once, and I had to hitch them up every couple of steps.

I'll take a long butt with longer shirts over "cute" jeans that are so uncomfortable that I can't wait to get out of them.

Edited by joannqn

I get all my jeans from Buckle now. Maddie style of the Big Star brand is my favorite. They are expensive, but fit great and are flattering. They're great if you are feeling frumpy and need a change.

I do have a little bit of a muffin top with them, but I never wear anything tucked in, so it's not obvious.

I like the looks of the mom jeans better in those pictures. :lol:

Guess I'm never going to be a fashionista.

I can't stand low-waisted jeans.

I've never bought a pair of elastic waist jeans though either.

Edited by Daisy

I have to say that I disagree with some of the blogger's assessments. I like the angled pockets. Perhaps that reflects coming of age in the 80's. I think some of the looks she likes, like pockets going onto the leg, are not really attractive. I have a variety of jean styles, but my dh likes my Lands End mom jeans the best. And I think his opinion is pretty important.

I wear something like this. I have them in deep blue and in black (the black has faded nicely). I wear them long with flats.

Laura

Don't those jeans violate ALL of her rules? (it was hard to tell on the pockets) BLACK. SINGLE COLOR. HIGH WAIST. HIGH POCKETS. (I think)

Not that I'm a fashion maven, this is all new to me. I don't wear jeans if I can wear sweats. No long butt if I can be ALL butt!

I have some mom jeans. I try not to wear them because they're too high waisted. I have some sort of cute butt jeans, but they dip too low in front and give me a muffin top...plus my shirts never quite seem to be long enough to prevent the dreaded "wardrobe malfunction" when I sit down. and I have a size 6 waist and size 8 hips so it's darn near impossible to get a pair of non-elastic waist pants that actually fit. And I'm cheap and have very long legs so my pants are always too short (long lengths only come in the really expensive jeans). I'm hopeless at fashion.

The rear view is very important. I dislike both the high waist mom-jeans look and the very low rise hey!-here's-my-butt-crack look. There is a happy medium that looks good on most shapes. And, yes pocket placement is important, but the most important thing is to be able to get a really good look at your rear view when you try things on (this is also important for shirts)

Shapewear helps, but I have lots of loose skin. I exercise A LOT (walk 15 - 20 miles a week, plus 4-8 hours a week of rock climbing and some pilates). That may firm up those muscles underneath, but nothing short of a scalpel will get rid of my muffin top. I can't have the waistband too high on my hips because it squeezes my flab. I can't tuck shirts in because that just screams "Look at my spare tire!"

I have some mom jeans. I try not to wear them because they're too high waisted. I have some sort of cute butt jeans, but they dip too low in front and give me a muffin top...plus my shirts never quite seem to be long enough to prevent the dreaded "wardrobe malfunction" when I sit down. and I have a size 6 waist and size 8 hips so it's darn near impossible to get a pair of non-elastic waist pants that actually fit. And I'm cheap and have very long legs so my pants are always too short (long lengths only come in the really expensive jeans). I'm hopeless at fashion.

You need to pay to have your jeans tailored - taken in at the waist and shortened in the leg. It's $20 or so and so worth it b/c then the pants actually fit you. It's better to think of pants and even shirts as being a 'basic fit' that you get customized to your body like clothing *used* to be made (and is still made in much of the rest of the world - if you go to Southeast Asia you don't get ready-to-wear clothing, you go to a fabric shop with in-house tailor who takes your measurements and creates clothes to your body alone. And bonus they cost mere dollars :001_smile: ).

I say this every time the topic of jeans comes up on the board....Talbots has the best selection of jeans for moms. They are classy looking (no sassy words written across your back side) and they are cut for a "mom" figure. You can find high waist jeans, if you want them, but most are what I would call a mid-rise. They last forever (I have two pair: one is 3 years old and the other 4 and still look great). Generally Talbott's jeans run $58, but you can almost always find them in the mark down sections for $24-$39.

Don't those jeans violate ALL of her rules? (it was hard to tell on the pockets) BLACK. SINGLE COLOR. HIGH WAIST. HIGH POCKETS. (I think)

Not that I'm a fashion maven, this is all new to me. I don't wear jeans if I can wear sweats. No long butt if I can be ALL butt!

Those are total mom jeans - high waisted, *fake* belt/buckle, solid color, and angled pockets. Look at how they appear on the model's front in the video - they make her inner thighs look large and misshapen in the fabric. If the model can't rock them, then that says mom jeans right there. ;)

Here is the link referenced above: http://www.marksandspencer.com/Una-Roma-Denim-Bootcut-Jeans/dp/B003J5HAX8?ie=UTF8&ref=sr_1_16&nodeId=122283031&sr=1-16&qid=1319836187

They don't have elastic. The waist sits only just above my hip bones. The pockets start a couple of inches below the top of my crack and end where my bottom curves underneath. As I said, the black has faded nicely. Maybe they look better on me than on the ultra-skinny model! I've never liked pre-faded jeans - I'd rather wash them a few times until they take on a natural patina.

I used to wear Lands' End Mum jeans, so I know what those look like.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

The first pair of mom jeans worn by subject B are my favorite jeans. I wear them almost daily. They are the most comfortable jeans I've ever found and they don't give me a muffin top. Every other pair of jeans I've tried are uncomfortable, ride up my crotch, give me a horrible muffin top, and/or just plain unwearable due to discomfort. I did buy a pair of lower rise jeans once, and I had to hitch them up every couple of steps.

I'll take a long butt with longer shirts over "cute" jeans that are so uncomfortable that I can't wait to get out of them.

Ayup! I mean really, I'm pushing 40. I'm not 16. Why do I care if I don't have a cute butt?

OTOH, on What Not to Wear, jeans must be dark wash trousers, and pockets must be flat. I think Clinton would approve of Laura's jeans. :-)

Edited by LizzyBee

They don't have elastic. The waist sits only just above my hip bones. The pockets start a couple of inches below the top of my crack and end where my bottom curves underneath. As I said, the black has faded nicely. Maybe they look better on me than on the ultra-skinny model!

I used to wear Lands' End Mum jeans, so I know what those look like.

Laura

I think they look great, and don't break the rules! They're a very nice dressy jean to wear with a blouse rather than a t-shirt. Sleek. Classy. I'd buy these as well as the more casual ones (non-mom) in the blog... and I'm in the market right now. Time for a little shopping. :)

Ayup! I mean really, I'm pushing 40. I'm not 16. Why do I care if I don't have a cute butt?

When dh and I were dating, he'd tell me I have ugly feet but a cute butt. I'm 47 now, but if I put on a pair of jeans and he tells me they make my butt look cute, I know they're keepers. :D

When dh and I were dating, he'd tell me I have ugly feet but a cute butt. I'm 47 now, but if I put on a pair of jeans and he tells me they make my butt look cute, I know they're keepers. :D

It really takes the pressure off when there is only ONE person in the world who needs to think your butt is cute.

I think there is something wrong with me. I liked one pair of the mom jeans the best out of all the options - not *most* of them (gag) but my favorite was a mom jean. Am I the only one that notices that some of the non-mom jeans give a saggy looking butt? I don't like saggy butt either. I don't know why that's preferable to a long butt especially when those pants typically have you also dealing with the muffin top and the butt crack issue. But I've never been accused of being a fashionista. :D

I will take care not to show my socks though. eww.

I thought the same. Some of the non-mom jeans looked like they were pouring themselves into the pair or trying too hard (speaking as someone that just bought her first pair in 14yrs tonight)