Menu

What is your biggest surprise loved curriculum?

Is there one you purchased on a whim or to look through that ended up being the one?

For us it was Life of Fred.

My oldest dd that has been working through Saxon since public school, just wasn't getting it. She is now flying through Fred and is scheduled to complete Algebra in the spring. Right on track.

For us it is 9th grade Lightning Literature. I wanted to like it, but was very skeptical after opening the box. I kept my reservations to myself & just let my dd dig in.....no complaints and she's doing well! So happy since it was going to be part of her tentative 4-year high school english plan. Whew!

Although, after 10 years of this, I know that things may change....;)

Classical Writing. I did a lot of research and quite a few people talked about how difficult it was to figure out (especially Homer, which is what we ordered). I was pretty nervous, but went ahead and purchased it anyway. While it did take a looooong time to read, reread and finally understand how to implement, we're really enjoying it now! Best of all, I'm seeing positive results through dd's writing.

When my son expressed interest in learning Latin, I poked around the boards for suggestions and ran across several raves for The Lukeion Project. Not knowing one Latin class from another, I signed him up. It was a hugely successful choice; I couldn't be happier with the class or the teacher.

For me it was AAS and HOD.

I bought AAS out of total desperation. It has been a perfect fit for our family. I wish I had found it sooner.

I bought HOD because there was a lot of buzz here on the boards. I looked at it and wasn't too impressed. I kept looking at the catalog and just decided to try it. I have loved it ever since.

This is such a fun thread! Thanks for starting it!

BTW I have wanted to buy Life of Fred for a long time. I think I'm going to give it a try this summer.

Elise in NC

For me, it was SWB's Advanced Language Lessons. I have never been fond of scripted materials and never really gave the FLL books a second look because of it. I decided to try ALL with the free sample this year and it has been a big hit with Sweet-pea and me although I still skip most of the scripted stuff. Now that it won't be finished, I think I may purchase FLL 4 and step back a year. I am now interested in trying Writing with Skill also.

WWE :blush:

Honestly, I thought my kids would never go for copywork, narration, etc. It sounded so boring to me! :leaving: I borrowed WWE from the library just to see what it is like and so far it has been great! I just ordered the workbook. Ds doesn't mind it at all and I can tell he is already paying more attention when I read to him. :thumbup:

MCT Island level. It so wouldn't have been right for my older, but for younger, I reluctantly splurged. He approaches language (and school, for that matter) completely differently from both older DS and me (we both prefer a structured approach). Younger likes things more free-form, and he's advanced in LA. After much deliberation, I bought MCT Island and.....he loves it. And _I_ enjoy teaching him. He has retained an incredible amount, he knows SO MUCH about language now, it's quite amazing.

So yea, I was wrong on that one :tongue_smilie:

Miquon. I avoided it for ages (my kids just use C-rods as art toys, why would I buy a math program around them?). Then Bill convinced me, lol, and I ended up with the basics, but I still didn't use them. After a couple of months we hit a huge math wall with dd (regrouping with larger numbers). I went back and broader a bit, used manipulatives and tried some LoF as well, and it helped some (making ten is much more solid), but we still couldn't get past that point with decent fluency. Dd was begging to go past that part and learn multiplication. So I glanced through the Miquon multiplication Annotations and tried it. In two days she's grasped, understood, and now loves both multiplication and division. She can explain it to me, show me, flip the equations around, etc. Yay!

We love LOF! My 6y/o asks to do it often. It's such a fun read, and makes him feel like math is so much fun. We have that quirky sense of humor, so it's really appreciated it here. We worked through Apples, and are now on Butterflies. I'm bringing my 3rd grader home after Christmas break. I know he will love it as much as me and my younger.

I'm happy to hear that MCT is also so loved. I am so excited to try it, and will be purchasing it soon!

For us, definitely All About Spelling. It has enabled my boys, especially my oldest, be successful in school. I'll have to reevaluate after the school year, but I think Oak Meadow may be joining the list. I had used K and 1st with ds#1 and was not impressed, so we did not continue. But, this year the older two are doing the 4th grade curriculum (literature, grammar supplement, social studies/history, science, and art), and I am enjoying it and they are doing well.

MCT

I bought Island level a little over three years ago after it was recommended on the accelerated board. My daughter doesn't complain (which is saying a lot), but my son picked it up and loved it so much, he begged me to do it with him a year before I had planned to.

Is there one you purchased on a whim or to look through that ended up being the one?

My oldest dd that has been working through Saxon since public school, just wasn't getting it. She is now flying through Fred and is scheduled to complete Algebra in the spring. Right on track.

FLL 3 and WWE 1 and 2. I was stunned how much I loved FLL 3 and how much we are actually learning. It isn't because I didn't think the book would be good; I thought it would be. However, it is just a really solid text, easy to use and understand, and the kids are actually learning grammar (and shhh, so am I! I love it! LOL

WWE is also delightful. I never thought it could be so simple, but it is and the reading selections are just wonderful.

For us it was Drawing with Children. I got it for a quarter at a thrift store, recognizing the title from Well Trained Mind.

I read through it thinking it was going to be hard to implement. But we stuck it out and are on our 2nd year of it. Our art has improved so much, and we all love it and have learned so much. I always know when we have time to sit and do a project from it that it is going to be a great afternoon.

For us it is 9th grade Lightning Literature. I wanted to like it, but was very skeptical after opening the box. I kept my reservations to myself & just let my dd dig in.....no complaints and she's doing well! So happy since it was going to be part of her tentative 4-year high school english plan. Whew!

Although, after 10 years of this, I know that things may change....;)

Us too! Dd used it for 8th grade, then unwillingly switched to Notgrass for 9th. She asked to go back to LL for 10th. She liked it so well that I bought it for ds's 7th grade, and now he's using 8th grade.

Dd is currently working through LL's world lit and still liking it. My only complaints are that the extra workbook pages are $$, and we find ourselves often disagreeing with LL's author's take on situations. My dd particularly has always enjoyed the reading selections with the exception of Treasure Island. But ds is reading it now and thinks it's fine.

I like that LL requires nothing of me, and I appreciate that the book selections are quite varied and yet still appeal to my kids.

(ETA: Fred was not a great fit for dd, but ds is enjoying it, just beginning Pre-Algebra w/Economics, and eager to finish that so he can begin Algebra. But that's not a "surprise.")

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

The Elements by Ellen McHenry. I wasn't too sure about it but my 6th grader LOVES it and is learning so much. We are supposed to do another free chemistry program after next week when we finish up The Elements, but I'm tempted to get one of the other McHenry programs.

Math Mammoth. I bought one of the workbooks to try and sort of as a 'stop gap' while we ditched Saxon and considered other math currics, and just ended up staying with them. I wish I had been taught math with MM.

FLL. I wasn't a big fan of FLL 1 (45 lessons on nouns :blink:) but in retrospect, I think it was too easy for my oldest when I was using it. It's a good fit now for my 6 yo and some of the things, like finding things on maps and writing addresses were things my oldest already sort of knew when we went through, but it's been a great introduction for my 6 yo. I've been really impressed with 3 this year--and I can now see that 1 and 2 did provide a really good foundation leading up to 3. Funny aside: I was at lunch with my kids and parents at Chipotle this afternoon, and there were a couple of girls sitting behind us. I think it was a college-age girl tutoring a high-school age girl in grammar . . . and they were diagramming sentences exactly like my 3rd grader is doing now. I'm sure the sentences were more complex, but still! It was little surreal to listen to her describe how to diagram like I had *just* been teaching earlier this week. :lol:

WWE. I'm sold, hands down. I can both see that my kids are listening more carefully (as evidenced by the fact that my 6 yo will call out answers to my 8 yo's passages before he gets a chance to answer :glare::D) and I can see that their compositional skills are improving. And it's introduced me to some pretty cool children's lit that I've never encountered before.

Edited by LemonPie

We love LOF! My 6y/o asks to do it often. It's such a fun read, and makes him feel like math is so much fun. We have that quirky sense of humor, so it's really appreciated it here. We worked through Apples, and are now on Butterflies. I'm bringing my 3rd grader home after Christmas break. I know he will love it as much as me and my younger.

I'm happy to hear that MCT is also so loved. I am so excited to try it, and will be purchasing it soon!

my little one adores LOF Apples too (and older enjoyed Fractions). I am trying to find a used copy of Butterflies ;)

LOF has been the best math program! Dd12 was behind until we switched to Fred and now she's actually a little bit ahead!

Shurley Grammar has been an excellent fit from the beginning. I'm on the second kid with it and also teach it (second year) at our local co-op. It's easy to jump into and I appreciate the script when I stumble.

IEW took a while to fit but now the two older girls are flying with it and doing very well.

For me it's WWS. I got burned out with WWE but wanted structured writing lessons for my oldest. I love how it's going and I love the lessons themselves. He's doing really well with it and isn't crying about writing like he has in the past. For that alone WWS is worth it's weight in gold.

For both kids: Brave Writer! I thought, "OH NO not another writing program to try and figure out". But The Writer's Jungle and the online classes have been incredible. My dyslexic dd may not be a great speller, but boy can she WRITE!

For ds14 - Art of Problem Solving. He enjoys math now.

For dd13 (dyslexic)- Winter's Promise early American history, American Crossing, and soon to start the later American history, American Culture. This was out of desperation and it has turned out to be a perfect fit. Also, Teaching Textbook just works for her when nothing else clicked.

Irasshai. Ds really want to study Japanese. I was highly skeptical, but he loves it and I can't believe how well he is doing. LoF was a great fit for him too, but dd really doesn't like it.

The surprise love for her has been WWS. We came into homeschooling too late to have used any WWE or FLL, so I didn't know if I could make WWS fly or not. Dd really likes it!

Didn't really like it with ds1, because i let him do jt all alone. Huge mistake! Doing it with my 6th grader, we are totally loving it and he is getting so much from it. I didn't like BFSU which is why we ended back up at Rainbow. Not liking BFSU was the best use of $24!, because it put me back at Rajnbow!

Guest Mr Okapi

I was so glad to see this. We have been doing Saxon, but recently picked up Life of Fred. We're hoping it will have the same effect. This is very encouraging. There is hope!

CLE Math and SOTW. My girls squeal when I say it is time for SOTW and mapwork! And I am sooo pleased with CLE Math. This has been a good year so far. I like everything I chose except for the science for my 3rd grader. I am hoping to start using the science from the Baltimore Curriculum Project. If I could just get it organized.:tongue_smilie:

Well, it wasn't on a whim. I looked it over for a few years but something held me back. Finding a math curriculum that's good for ds has always been a trouble spot. I thought I found it with Right Start. I though I found it with Life of Fred. It seems I finally found it with Teaching Textbooks. He actually said he likes it. I've never heard him use "like" and "math program" in the same sentence before TT.

For both kids: Brave Writer! I thought, "OH NO not another writing program to try and figure out". But The Writer's Jungle and the online classes have been incredible. My dyslexic dd may not be a great speller, but boy can she WRITE!

Yay for Bravewriter! I was not sorry I spent the money on The Writer's Jungle. Ds hasn't done any of the classes due to the cost, but we've used The Arrow and Boomerang, and we try to follow the "Bravewriter Lifestyle".

The Writing Road to Reading. We didn't use it for long, but for the time when I found it, it was the perfect fit. I don't think I would have been able to use it when I first started homeschooling, however. It would have been too overwhelming. I also rather like Galore Park's English curriculum. It's straightforward, secular (hard to find good quality secular stuff), and inexpensive, so I can tweak it without feeling like I'm wasting tons of money on an expensive program I'm only half using. :D

• 2 months later...

Pianimals

My kids were young when they started piano, 4 1/2 and a new 6. I started them so young since my neighbor was a piano teacher and a potential friend - which is important when you are new in town.

Having them in piano has been great. Pianimals has been a perfect fit for them. :)

Apologia Jump In writing program for my youngest. I actually bought it to try with oldest but she went to ps for middle school. I found my fourth grader with the book and she was writing in it!:001_huh: She hates writing but we've been doing this slow and she looks forward to it so it's a keeper.