Menu

Teen jobs

My ds is in fast food. He's 17, and promoted to trainer. He's amazed at the older people (20s & up) that work there that are either not very bright or too lazy to show up for work.

ETA: He did have a resume full of leadership positions in activities and service projects.

Edited by True Blue

Hi, I have 18 & 20 yo dd's who both work. DD#1 started working summer after graduation at local amusement park in retail. She still has that job, it is reasonably flexible around her college work. dd#2 works there also. We're fortunate to have the park close by. There is a lot of turnover, and they are always hiring. Easier to get a job if you are 18, though. We're hoping oldest can get an engineering internship this summer. We'll see. DD #2 really did NOT want to work there, but the opportunity came up and we told her she could look for another job all she wanted while she worked. Middle dd occasionally babysits as well.

My sons have seasonal work. They work for Little League in our area. Our oldest works for the field crew. He mows the fields, sets them up, helps out with drainage issues, etc, etc, etc. Backbreaking work but it pays very well. He is hoping to be the supervisor in a couple summers.

My two younger ones clean the bathrooms at the local Little League fields during baseball season. It also pays very well!

My oldest has been doing some babysitting too.

Hi, I have 18 & 20 yo dd's who both work. DD#1 started working summer after graduation at local amusement park in retail. She still has that job, it is reasonably flexible around her college work. dd#2 works there also. We're fortunate to have the park close by. There is a lot of turnover, and they are always hiring. Easier to get a job if you are 18, though. We're hoping oldest can get an engineering internship this summer. We'll see. DD #2 really did NOT want to work there, but the opportunity came up and we told her she could look for another job all she wanted while she worked. Middle dd occasionally babysits as well.

This is a very good point! My ds can't wait to turn 18 & look for a better job.

Ds17 had his first job just before he was 16. He was hired by a learning center to be an assistant. He helps kids with math and writing up to college calculus. He makes minimum wage which is $8.67 now and going to 9.01 in January. He has been there over a year and likes the job. He works after school a couple days a week and the latest he gets off work is 6:45. They are not open of weekends. He makes a few hundred a month, just perfect for him.

He also tutors privately on the side. He doesn't charge for it, but sometimes parents pay him anyways. He is an excellent tutor!

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My 18yo is paid for coaching a speech and debate club. Her "training" consisted of years and years of competitive speech. She does a lot of research outside her club time to come up with material to teach. She absolutely loves this job. I wish it were more than part-part time. :glare::D

She has a steady part time nannying position, too. She would love be working more, as she is saving up for some overseas opportunities coming up this winter and spring. She turned down a retail job that didn't pay all that great, the hours were sparse, and the drive was too long. But she might look for a retail job for the Christmas season...and then she is outta here! :auto:

My soon to be 14 yo pet sits. She has done this for 5 years. In the beginning, my neighbor trained her at 8 because she was having trouble finding a reliable pet sitter for her huge menagerie (cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, turtles, more, different things at different times). The neighbor is right next door and the job started out with me going with her and supervising because she was 8. A couple of years later she and I took a pet first aid course together through the local part authority. Her reliability and skills have spread by word of mouth and she pet sits/dog walks for other families. I haven't helped her with this job in a few years.

Dog walking is great for a homeschooler. There are often folks who work away from home who want a midday walk for their pooch. Professional walkers charge $20+ per 20 minute walk. dd charges $5--people are happy to find her. This year she will expand her business in the spring, putting out fliers and officially advertising. She has a reputation for having a good sense toward animals and has experience with giving medicine and providing care to sick animals.

For most animals she charges $5 per visit--usually $10/day. Sometimes this is less than minimum wage sometimes more. The job has met her needs in that she has taken care of her social spending and spending on "wants" for several years.

At times she has added plant watering to her tasks. When people are out of town they need plants watered, newspapers brought in and mail brought in.

Her older brother does not have a job. He needs a job. He has searched for a job.

Well, maybe this doesn't count--because it was 3 years ago, when ds22 was 19--

He worked for a realty company that has a gov't contract to relocate military personnel. He did data entry, making about $12 an hour. He did this for about 5 months before starting college. No start up. He did need some clothes, but we bought him a couple of shirts. He was back-room, or whatever they call it--so he could wear jeans but his shirt needed a collar.

My other son worked as a waiter last summer when he was 19. No start up, but he did have to buy shirts--they just deducted it from his pay, I think.

There were lots of teens working in the movie theater this summer when ds22 worked there. No start up.

my youngest had a small business for a bit, we provided the money for the start up. his computer is messed up right now so he isn't do it now.

But he also got a dog walking job he lets a dog out every day m-f, the lady pays him $100 a month.

he has had it since he was 13.

He has also watched other pets at times.

He has been a lifeguard since last summer. So he worked all summer. he paid for his uniform

oh he also got his soccer ref certificate and did that for a bit

My 16yo and 13yo have been taking care of the neighbor's dogs at lunch for the past two years. She actually asked around for somebody in the neighborhood and got my 16yo (14yo at the time) recommended to her because EVERYBODY who walks their dogs knows her (and she knows ALL the dogs by name).

The neighbor has 3 dogs who are quite a handful, so her younger sister went with her to help and it has worked out well for it to be both of them instead of just one. That way, when one is sick or has a schedule conflict, the other does it alone.

They go over at lunchtime, take the diapers off the male dogs, take them all outside to use the bathroom, wear them out with playing (they're pretty destructive if they aren't worked), put the diapers back on the male dogs, and leave. They're usually over there about 30 minutes. They also take the dogs for walks on request. Several times they've gone over again in the evening when she has been running late. They also take care of the dogs on the weekend when she needs them to.

They are paid $4/day, which I think is perfect for what they're doing. That's $4 altogether, not each.

They actually aren't interested in picking up any other petsitting/walking/caretaking jobs. This impacts our schedule quite a bit already since we have to be home for at least 30 minutes some time in the 11:30-1:00 timeframe for them to take care of the dogs. Yes, we generally are home then, but our schedule keeps getting crowded.

My 17 year old sells show goats and goat milk soap. She is making good money now, but it has taken years and plenty of interest-free loans from me to build up her business.

My 17 year old used to teach piano lessons, he did some work for a neighborhood club when my friend was the manager. Now he works for my 17 year old. She pays him by the hour and commissions.

This is the website they are still working the bugs out of.

http://www.dancingdogdairy.com/

I feel very fortunate that I have been able to help them get started, because I see how much real work has matured them, and they have carried that work ethic into other areas.

My 18 year old is finishing up his senior year and has worked for pay since he was 9. He started picking tomatoes at $3/basket; he did that for several years. He started a flower business growing and selling cut flower bouquets at the farmer's market when he was 14/15 and did that for 2 years. It did not cost a lot to start but was a lot of work. He grossed over $6000 those two years. He has watched people's pets while they were out of town and received $5 per day for less than an hour's work. He then worked for a mechanic for $6 per hour for a summer. He branched out and started fixing string trimmers/mowers/then tractors for people, also working on his own equipment. He learned a lot over the years and now that he is 18, he charges anywhere from $20 to $40 per hour. He is helping a man gather scrap metal--they are splitting the proceeds and he is earning anywhere from $10-$35 per hour. None of these things has cost much to start up. We already had tools and my son owns his own truck and gooseneck trailer.

DS19 got his lifeguard certification at 16 and worked as a lifeguard at the local indoor waterpark until he went off to college.

DS15 started umpiring baseball games at 12yo for the little league. The first season he did it for free for his dad's team, but once he turned 13yo, he got paid ($25 a game - 5-6 games a week). Good money for a kiddo! He is hoping to get a paid counselor-type position this summer at a camp, but if it doesn't work out, he will umpire again.

DD17 - well, she's got a number of things going. Part-time jobs, first at fast food when she turned 16yo and now a retail job. She babysits. She teaches beginning music lessons (got her students thru advertising on Craigs' list)

Both of my boys have had a variety of jobs.

We have a small photography company, so they have been working for us since they have been old enough to be trusted with digital files, etc.

Our 17 year old now functions as my husband's digital media manager (editing, correcting and uploading photo files) at the professional soccer and football games that my husband shoots.

Additionally, the 17 yo has a daily job working in the kitchen at the teams' headquarters. He does food prep, cleans the dining room, stocks freezers and pantries, and washes loads and loads of dishes.

In the past the same son has done lawn work for folks in the neighborhood, tutored junior high school students in the evenings, and has had a paid internship for a county councilman.

Our 12 year old has taken over the neighborhood lawn work a couple days a week and has a once weekly job as a mother's helper for a neighborhood mom of two young boys. He also works for the family photography company during our summer golf tournament season. He drives the golf cart around the course delivering photos that had earlier been shot and printed.

Dd14 babysits right now, and takes care of our friends' cat when they're gone away... in the past she has also done house cleaning for a friend of dh's and delivered newspapers. We also pay her for various household jobs (beyond just 'helping out' - I'm talking about scrubbing down the bathroom, cleaning the truck, that kinda thing) and looking after her younger siblings.

Facebook is a big deal for businesses right now. Everyone wants to have a "Facebook Presence", but a lot of small business owners have no idea where to start, and have no time to post updates.

I know an adult in my area that charges $500 per month to post 6 updates per month.

I got a tutor to teach me how to do it myself... it's pretty easy. You can set updates to post automatically through HootSuite or similar. I would bet a teen could get $100 per month to post 2x/week.

My dd, 17, is a hostess at a restaurant and washes cars for my husband's used car dealership on Saturdays. She makes pretty good money at the hostess gig because she takes to go orders and gets tips. And makes $8/hr at the dealership. It's a tough job. We are very, very proud of how hard she works. She is a senior and attends a local high school, where she takes 3 dual enrollment classes in addition to her regular classes. Oh, and she's yearbook editor. :D This from a kid that had me pulling out my hair this time last year. So, I am allowed to brag! ;)

Margaret

My DS16 is the house goal keeper for an adult soccer club. He hangs out at the club a couple of evenings a week. If a team shows up without a keeper (or just no one really wants to play keeper) my son steps in. He gets paid $30 an evening, and doesn't pay to play on his team of record. (about $100 per season) Since he already plays soccer, he had the gear, but it costs us about $100 per season to outfit him in cleats and goalie gloves. He got the job because our friends own the club. It isn't a lot of money, and quite frankly he would do it for free. He gets some great coaching as many of the players are former college and MLS players. My DS is not that good, but they all treat him as one of the guys. One of the MLS guys drives him out there, so we don't even provide transportation. It is awesome and just fell into his lap.

Ds 17 has been working in a retail store for the past year. No start up other than buying a couple of pairs of slacks and collared shirts. He also works with my husband when he needs an extra set of hands.

Ds 14 mowed lawns for a couple of neighbors and some friends during the summer. We gave him our old lawn mower after we bought a new one and my husband would drive him to the houses he mowed that were not nearby. Last winter, he shoveled driveways for our elderly neighbors and just took donations.

Facebook is a big deal for businesses right now. Everyone wants to have a "Facebook Presence", but a lot of small business owners have no idea where to start, and have no time to post updates.

I know an adult in my area that charges $500 per month to post 6 updates per month.

I got a tutor to teach me how to do it myself... it's pretty easy. You can set updates to post automatically through HootSuite or similar. I would bet a teen could get $100 per month to post 2x/week.

Sigh. None of my kids have FB accounts! I'm sure he could figure it out though. Wonder how one goes about finding a place wanting to do that...

My children were all fortunate to work at the local (and only) coffeeshop starting at age 14 or 15. Two of them still work there over the lunch hour or after school. My 17-year old performs (she is a singer/musician) at various venues on the weekends and is paid for that. My 19-year old was able to get a paid internship (through her college) at a metropolitan children's hospital, planning and producing a hospital TV channel for the young patients.

Both my teenage dds babysit and have since they were 12. My older dd ran an art camp over the Summer. She taught 45 min group lessons 4 days/ week for eight weeks and made enough money to pay for her classes and materials at the community college this semester.

She also has an ongoing nanny-type position twice a week.

This dd has been taking classes with an online digital arts group for years. Last year she became one of the student mentors, which was an unpaid internship type of position where she gave workshop presentations to other students who paid to learn about different drawing & animation programs. This same digital arts group just purchased some of dds work to use in promotional items. She was so excited to "sell" some art. It was only $100, but she was more excited about that than any other money she has ever earned.

A friend just asked her to create a personalized poster/ banner type thing for her son's birthday, and a woman at church just asked her to be "art director" for a short promotional film she is making at work. This means dd will be creating all the book covers and labels that will be seen in the film because they can't show actual food labels or book covers.

She plans on entering college as an animation major and she is getting some great experience.

Amber in SJ

In our last place, both dd's pet sat and older babysat. Since we have moved, only the older made some money by buying a Coach bag at a thrift store with a broken zipper and selling it on ebay. SHe is planning to do some more selling on ebay of finds from thrift stores when she has the time. We told the older one not to get a job in college the first semester because we wanted her to get used to college and do her work.

Now, I do have jobs the girls do hear- leaf removal, pool work. THis is in place of hiring outside workers. When they are both gone from the house and no more kids are coming back, I will need to hire people. So I consider that actual work too.THat is not regular chores like animal care, trash, recycling, etc. THose are mandatory and would be done by me if not by one of them. The animal care is still mostly done by me.

My 16 and 14 year old sons clean horse stalls for a local guy. They only do this about once every two weeks for 4-5 hours. It's the kind of job that makes you want to earn a degree!

My oldest ds wanted to get a job at Chick-fil-A this past summer, but instead we had him volunteering 100 plus hours at the Veterans Hospital in the kinesiotherapy department.

Next summer, my oldest wants to apply to work with his dad (manufacturing environment). Every summer they hire a handful of employees' children. Transportation and hours would fit perfectly with hubby. It would be nice money, but I'm not sure that it's the most strategic. I'd rather see him get work or volunteer experience in an area of particular interest for his future.( For his own sake and for impressiveness in the college application process.) Then there's the idea of making his "job" simply studying for the SAT/ACT and working on finding $ for college in the form of scholarships. Just don't know yet if he's going to be scholarship material.

Sigh. None of my kids have FB accounts! I'm sure he could figure it out though. Wonder how one goes about finding a place wanting to do that...

• Make a list of all local businesses.

• Search Facebook to see if establishment has a Facebook presence.

• Those that do, but have nothing going on with their page would be first prospects. Worth a visit to introduce oneself and leave a business card and one-page flyer outlining services.

• Those that have no presence at all would go on a separate list for a general mailing.

I'd do something like "First 3 months free" for the first customer. "First 2 months free" for the second customer. And then, voila, child has a customer list for references!

Dd (17) works the afternoon shift (2-6) at a daycare. Most of the other workers are young mothers or college students, but dd's schedule fit because she is homeschooled.

Start-up? She had to get a food handler's permit. Maybe $25? Not sure, but I know she could use if if she got a restaurant job, too. She had to have a checking account for direct deposit (we fronted her the $50 to open the joint account) instead of using her college savings. We bought her two pairs of black slacks. The uniform shirt cost came out of her first paycheck.

It's exhausting (:lol:), but regular hours! And she knows what to expect every day.

Several of the education students I teach in college are working in daycare centers part-time to help pay their way.

My oldest tried to get a job for a very long time. As soon as she turned 15yo, she started looking, but everywhere she went, they said they wouldn't take applications from anybody under 16yo. So when she turned 16yo, she started blanketing our area with applications - Sonic, Wendy's, Burger King, McDonalds, Baskin Robbins, all the stores at the mall, ... She got several interviews over the course of the year, but no job.

Around here all those jobs that used to be filled by teens are now going to adults.

My oldest works at her dance studio. At the beginning of last year I noticed in the recital program a "Congratulations, we'll miss you" message to the girl who worked the front desk and told dd to talk to the owner about if she needed a replacement. The hours are very flexible around her dance classes and she's able to take off whenever she needs to for school stuff. She only makes minimum wage but it's more hours than she'd be able to manage anywhere else and it pays for her gas and some money toward her car and insurance. No start-up costs since she wears whatever she wore to school or dance clothes if she has a class that night (I think there's only one night she works and has no dance).

I'm not sure what she's going to do after graduation. She should have more available hours in college since she won't have cheerleading, dance and 6 hours of school a day.

15 yo DS is currrently helping our neightbor with boat detailing, fiberglass boat work, and all the prep for repainting boats.

It is sporatic, but he gets a good wage if he works hard :)

DS 13 right now is not really doing anything except the occasional pet sitting.

They do a variety of things Babysit, house sit, pet sit, walk dogs, shovel snow, mow lawn, rake leaves, clean windows, clean houses, dishwasher at a restaurant, waitress -those are things they do quite often but they also have odd jobs people ask them to do.

Some things cost money at first so they had to use their money (allowance and gift money) to get the things they needed.