Menu

If you had a Classical K-12 private school . . .

in your city that has small class sizes, turns out National Merit Scholars (50% of graduating class year before last), a spiritual/personal culture that you agree with, you like the (former homeschooling) headmaster's family (still very homeschool friendly), and love two of the teachers you have seen "in action," and you could afford the tuition, would you send your kids there? Why, why not, and if so, at what grade or stage in development?

[This question springs from my understanding (potentially incorrect) that many homeschool because public school is the only other option, or at the least that there is no private school that suits their fancy. If there was a private school that fit most of their criteria, would more people take it? And yes, I am asking, "Am I completely crazy for not sending my kids to this school?":lol:]

would you send your kids there? Why, why not, and if so, at what grade or stage in development?

]

Absolutely. K-12.

Because they would have liked it, I would have liked it, they would have received a better education, and I would have been able to work.

I think I know which school you are talking about. We looked into it, but for various reasons it wouldn't be a good fit for us. Even if you took out those reasons, I wouldn't want to have to drive there twice a day to take/pick up kids.

I'd rather save the money for college and private high school (if for some reason they need that option).

No. We homeschool for academic reasons, but the flexibility of homeschooling is a major factor.

We don't do mornings well. It was torture for prek and K. :lol:

Ds has some independent interests that he wouldn't have time to pursue in a classroom environment.

With homeschooling we can take off when we want. Ds is out of town with dh right now. It wasn't originally planned that way, but I don't have to consider attendance policies.

I can pick the curricula that works for ds. We can work ahead or behind grade level.

Yeah, homeschooling works well for our family.

We removed our children from a school that really fits the description you gave -- let me add that it is less than one mile from our home.

No, I would not put them back there. We are growing so much as a homeschooling family. THIS fits us. I always felt like we didn't fit in at the private school I LOVE not feeling that way.:)

Probably. We are going to look at a similar school tomorrow! DS is in 6th grade, and we're thinking of sending him for 8th, MAYBE 7th.

This sounds kind of silly, but whenever I do anything, I do it WAY crazy over the top. When I chose my first dog, I read so many books and actually made a spreadsheet (manually) of various dog breeds and traits, compared to a "control" breed that I liked. Nuts! Anyway, so I'm rather that way with homeschooling. Spending tons of time on unnecessary stuff - just because I'm obsessed. I can't seem to control myself - and it's exhausting! So I wouldn't mind letting that go. Although I'd just find some new thing to be ridiculous about, I'm sure.

It would not really be tempting for me before high school -- and even then, even the "perfect" school would involve various pros and cons. Whatever schooling situation you choose, there's always a trade-off. For the most part, home schooling works well for my family. I can't picture a school that would tempt me to put young children in...

In high school though? Maybe. If it were physically close, had wonderful teachers, the types of classes the kids need, wonderful extra-curricular and fine arts opportunities, a culture that meshes well with my family... Maybe. But there aren't "perfect" schools (just as there aren't "perfect" home schools), and I doubt there will be one that has the exact mix of elements that would tempt us.

For younger children (elementary age), I really don't think there's much that would tempt me. Adorable as the little groups of uniformed 2nd graders at my mom's school (she's a former home schooler teaching at a classical Christian school) happen to be, I love the individualized attention and curriculum my kids get at home when they're developing those important foundational skills. I love the flexibility we have to travel, to head to the park, to go out to lunch together... I love the free time my kids have (and, especially, had when they were young) to engage in hours of unstructured, creative play together. I love the sheer amount of *time* they spend together -- and the fact that that has contributed to them being "best friends" today. I love that I can be academically demanding in ways their teachers couldn't be. I love that it doesn't matter if I have a 10yo doing high school geometry and it wouldn't matter if I had a child who needs a slower, more gradual start in some subject. I love doing our work snuggled on the couch together or sprawled on a beach-towel in the front yard on the first warm day of spring. I love singing together to start our days and laughing over Shel Silverstein poetry and letting the kids have time to make a zombie movie when I had planned for us to do math and discussing what Lincoln's words really mean and taking a break to practice our splits in the hallway maybe even while drilling Latin verbs... I love going to Disney when the crowd levels are low. I love that our field trips to the museum don't involve screaming packs of children running from one exhibit to the next. I love that my kids have had the opportunity to do professional theater that they couldn't have done with a normal school schedule. I love that when ds had mono and needed two naps a day, we didn't have to add the stress of figuring out how not to "fall behind" to the stress of illness. I love seeing my kids make huge leaps in their skills and intellectual abilities.

Basically, I love home schooling. :)

I don't think it's always the best option. I don't look down on people who choose to send their kids to school. But no, it's not generally a very tempting option for me.

Well, I won't presume to answer for the large homeschool community, but I can tell you that I would definitely utilize a private school for my children if it met my criteria which includes an affordable tuition rate. I do have reasons that would make me seriously consider the opportunity. But there is no such opportunity and therefore I continue homeschooling.

And no, I do not believe for even one little second that you will get that answer from all homeschoolers. You do what you want to do or what you have to do, just like all parents do.

Yes, absolutely, for grades 9-12. I work part-time at a classical Christian school very much like your description and although hs'ing has fit our family lifestyle well for the past five years, I have very recently decided that I will definitely enroll my dd in this school for rhetoric stage.

It has been a wonderful, life changing experience for us to hs, but I see the season ending in about two years. We will both be at the school, which will be wonderful. Instead of it being my place of work, it will become OUR school. I've come to the conclusion that she will soon need to be in a school again because she needs to step out into the community and engage more with others. She is nearly ready for that. As a teenager she will need more academic structure and the benefits of group learning. And I believe being in a classical school would prepare my dd well for college - much better than I believe I could prepare her myself. The rigor would be excellent for her, and I look forward to having her enjoy new challenges that will be taught by really bright, caring teachers. I know these people; they are my collegues. And I can honestly say that our school IS a family. I have experienced it personally as a member of the faculty for a number of years now.

Not every school can meet the needs of every child and family, just as hs'ing cannot meet the needs of every child and family. There are seasons and situations that change during the growing up years. We as parents do have options. Frankly, I find it scarey when I hear about people that are stuck on only one way of educating children. Each situation is different, and we as parents need to pray for wisdom and discernment as to what is the best choice for each individual child as they grow up.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Not every school can meet the needs of every child and family, just as hs'ing cannot meet the needs of every child and family. There are seasons and situations that change during the growing up years. We as parents do have options. Frankly, I find it scarey when I hear about people that are stuck on only one way of educating children. Each situation is different, and we as parents need to pray for wisdom and discernment as to what is the best choice for each individual child as they grow up.

Sure, and just because a school is the best thing since sliced bread for your (older) child (or whatever you've decided), doesn't mean that if I considered it and decided not to send my child there that I am "stuck on one way of educating children". Each situation and family and child really is different. And I might decide that I will meet the challenges of this season in a different way. And yes, I'm a bit testy - not at you specifically Lucinda but at a slew of people who have made perfectly good choices for their kids but still intimate that my making a different choice is harming or stunting my teen-age son - even though they always throw in the "but each family is different" clause sort of like a lawyer indemnity clause to allow them to say whatever they want.

No, not at the elementary ages. Maybe for later middle school or high school.

We actually have several very nice private schools in our area and were seriously considering between two of them. We could afford the expense, but it seemed like a crazy amount of money for kindergarten, 1st grade.

We had just toured the schools for a second time and looked at each other and said, "What about homeschooling? What could we do w/our child's education if we spent the same amount of money, but did it ourselves?"

Now we certainly don't spend $1,000 a month on homeschooling expenses. But that is how we view homeschooling expenses - whatever we do is cheaper than private school. We realize that we could do a lot (music lessons, art lessons, educational travel) and provide a very individualized education w/less expense.

We are now five years into homeschooling and we love the flexibility of it way too much to go to a private school and give that up. (We just got back from a week long - educational - vacation that we certainly couldn't have done if we were tied to a school schedule.)

Sure, and just because a school is the best thing since sliced bread for your (older) child (or whatever you've decided), doesn't mean that if I considered it and decided not to send my child there that I am "stuck on one way of educating children". Each situation and family and child really is different. And I might decide that I will meet the challenges of this season in a different way. And yes, I'm a bit testy - not at you specifically Lucinda but at a slew of people who have made perfectly good choices for their kids but still intimate that my making a different choice is harming or stunting my teen-age son - even though they always throw in the "but each family is different" clause sort of like a lawyer indemnity clause to allow them to say whatever they want.

I was pondering this yesterday as I gear up for those upcoming holidays and family visits. :glare: We homeschool for specific reasons, some that are personal (i.e. no ones business), we thought through our decision and made a commitment. We plan to homeschool this child through high school. If I had another child we might make different plans, but for this, our one child, homeschooling fits. I use the word commitment because that's what it is, at least to us, our family.

It's like a marriage. We made the commitment to homeschool through high school a few years ago. Yes there are ebbs and flows, and barring my death the commitment stays. I don't go around asking people if they are still going to stay married next year. Divorce is what a 50/50 possibility statistically? Now your (rhetorical) marriage made me on more solid ground, why? probably because you take your commitment seriously. We also take our homeschooling seriously.

When I stated to you (my beloved family) that we plan to homeschool through high school it wasn't me blowing smoke. It was me stating our decisions. It was not contingent upon good days only, it was not contingent upon me feeling comfortable teaching every subject. It's hard work, I accept that. I'm up for the challenge, but marriage isn't a piece of cake either.

I realize families make different levels of commitment with homeschooling, but when you've stated your plan and then it gets questioned every year it's tiring. I do think I'll start asking family how their marriage is going, if they plan on continuing with that next year, and perhaps sharing marriage tips with them, so they can correct their grievous errors before they ruin their marriage, like we are ruining our child. :lol::tongue_smilie:

Possibly. We are strongly considering a local small rigorous college prep public charter high school (even though it's about a 40 minute one way drive) as an option once we get to that point in a couple of years. I (mostly;)) love homeschooling and it will mean turning our lives totally upside-down to make such a change, but it might be a better educational choice for us at the high school level. Part of our issues include cost to do something equivalent privately (this would be relatively "free") and the fact that homeschool group activity options narrow a lot here in high school. If you add in wanting those activities to be secular (or at least "friendly" to non-Christians), they become almost non-existent.

I don't know. It would probably depend on the child.

We recently found out about a very nice private school in our area. It's Charlotte-Mason based, very small classes, lots of time to explore areas of individual interest, etc. Plus, a lot of DS's friends go there, and we could afford it.

I've been kind of torn. On the one hand, many of our initial reasons for homeschooling were more necessity-based, and this school addresses most of those. On the other hand, since we started homeschooling, I've come to really enjoy it.

I asked DS if he'd want to go to school there, and he said he wouldn't. He likes doing homeschool and then seeing his friends after school. That sounds good to me. We do take things on a year-to-year basis, though, so that could change.

Wow, Jean. I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted my thoughts. :lol:

I believe this is a choice that parents must make based on their family's and their children's needs. It's all about choosing the best fit. One choice isn't better than the other. The scarey part for me is when people think there is only one way to educate, and that you aren't a good parent unless you make that one choice. (You know what I mean - those that believe hs'ing is the only right choice for ALL people, or those that believe a private Christian school is the only really good choice for ALL Christian families.) Having options is a beautiful thing, and I'm thankful that we have that freedom. I don't stand in judgement of any choice you or others make about hs'ing through high school. None in the least. I'm truly sorry if it came across that way because I do respect whatever choice you, or any other parent, makes about this.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

Absolutely. K-12.

Because they would have liked it, I would have liked it, they would have received a better education, and I would have been able to work.

:iagree:Ayup. I have social kids. Also, they would love being able to be involved in sports, music more. But really not till they were in 3rd-5th gr.

Wow, Jean. I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted my thoughts. :lol:

I believe this is a choice that parents must make based on their family's and their children's needs. It's all about choosing the best fit. One choice isn't better than the other. The scarey part for me is when people think there is only one way to educate, and that you aren't a good parent unless you make that one choice. (You know what I mean - those that believe hs'ing is the only right choice for ALL people, or those that believe a private Christian school is the only really good choice for ALL Christian families.) Having options is a beautiful thing, and I'm thankful that we have that freedom. I don't stand in judgement of any choice you or others make about hs'ing through high school. None in the least. I'm truly sorry if it came across that way because I do respect whatever choice you, or any other parent, makes about this.

Lucinda, sorry I went off on you a bit. I knew that what you said didn't have me in mind! And I'm glad to see that I had actually misinterpreted what you said about it being scarey.

To clarify to the world at general what frustrates me - I have NEVER ever said anything other than "Wow, that's great!" when someone has told me that they have their child in XYZ school (whether public or private). Yes, I've had private reservations about a few situations, but I realize that I don't really know all the information. I don't know their children in the same intimate way that you really need to to make that kind of decision. And my anecdotes from umpteen years ago at that school don't necessarily apply anymore!

Only once have I ever said "Have you considered homeschooling" to someone. That was because their child was vomiting every single morning in stress over going to school. When they said "No", I didn't keep pushing but genuinely hoped that they would find the solution for their family. I think partly because I had made a suggestion but then backed off, they did end up homeschooling the child.

I don't understand why many other people do not extend to me the same kind of courtesy. I am intelligent enough to think through the pros and cons of all forms of schooling. I am intelligent enough to research possible options. I am intelligent enough to teach my children even at the high school level or to find a solution for those classes that I am not intelligent enough to teach - like math! (And by that comment I do not in any way mean that people who put their kids into high school are not intelligent enough to teach them if they so chose to do so.) It isn't the choices they have made for their family which bug me. It is the blanket statements they give me on schooling, teens, colleges etc. that irritate and frustrate me.

I used to teach at a highly exclusive school for gifted kids in this area. It isn't classical, as much as accelerated and innovative, but it had all the other things that the OP mentioned - small classes, a "family" feeling, I was very good friends with the headmaster and with some of the very talented teachers. Its spiritual culture is secular but I don't have a problem with that. It had it's problems. I went to a private college prep school myself (and learned Latin) and it had it's problems amidst all the wonderful talking points too. I'm not saying that I wouldn't necessarily choose a school like them but I would weigh the possible problems at the school against the possible problems in homeschooling (which of course we all know are there). I don't have the money for those schools but I have considered what I would do if I did and at this point, the answer is still that I would (and have) chosen homeschooling.

Absolutely not. :D

:iagree:

I want to teach and raise my children, not send them off for someone else to do that. I let my ds "try" a couple of different types of schools over the course of the years and I regret those times. It provided no benefits and actually was mostly detrimental to our relationship and educational goals. I am keeping my kids at home.

I would not send them, even though this school sounds excellent. We're providing an excellent education for our children here at home. My kids get more one-on-one attention and more customization than any private school can provide. They're thriving, challenged, and grounded spiritually. Although I want my boys to attend college and have a successful carrer, my first goal is to teach them to love the Lord with all their heart, mind, and soul; to honor and glorify Him in word and deed. It is hard for schools to make this priority #1. They are educational institutions, so providing a well-rounded, excellent education is usually the mission of the school. Nothing wrong with that--and I'm not saying that kids can't/don't learn to live for the Lord when they go to a school. I'm just saying that I know what my focus is and I know that w'eve been given the opportunity to educate our children, so we're keeping them at home!

in your city that has small class sizes, turns out National Merit Scholars (50% of graduating class year before last), a spiritual/personal culture that you agree with, you like the (former homeschooling) headmaster's family (still very homeschool friendly), and love two of the teachers you have seen "in action," and you could afford the tuition, would you send your kids there? Why, why not, and if so, at what grade or stage in development?

[This question springs from my understanding (potentially incorrect) that many homeschool because public school is the only other option, or at the least that there is no private school that suits their fancy. If there was a private school that fit most of their criteria, would more people take it? And yes, I am asking, "Am I completely crazy for not sending my kids to this school?":lol:]

I would seriously consider it IF they would hire me to teach there as well. (I am a certified teacher.) Otherwise, no, I would not.

Probably not. We don't homeschool because we don't have good b & m schools around here. Part of why we homeschool is for social and emotional reasons. Even if there are only 10 kids in a classroom, that is still not the same as a close-knit family environment. There can still be bullying in that environment. There can still be other socially undesirable dynamics going on. Also, we just plain like being around eachother.

Not necessarily - both boys now go to school, but it would not always have been the best choice.

Previously Calvin had some issues that made any school a very difficult fit for him. Hobbes was also stuttering badly and we wanted to maintain high confidence by avoiding out-of-control teasing at a young age. Having taught them at home for seven years, I thought they were ready. They were.

Laura

We had our ds in a school like this k-2

Nothing is ever perfect, and I had to fill in more holes than I thought I would.

I missed my son. He loves doing activities, so he was in school all day, then activities all evening, homework and bed.

Now I spend time with him during the day, and he has time to do the activities that he wants to do.

We also would never go back to the rushed mornings! I love mornings now that we homeschool.

Not for the elementary ages. My daughters last year attended a very good private school and it really does not fit us right now. My two middle ones are going at the moment but really they'd much rather be home and honestly they learn in such different ways that the school isn't able to think outside of the box for one minute,and so now the school is labeling my 11 yr old as special needs, and truly she is NOT, she just doesn't learn in the one size fits all method of brick and mortar schools. If she were really truly special needs I would know it. The early years are very formidable. Now for 9-12 possibly I would consider such a school. We don't have choice here after 6th grade though. After that its the high school for 7-12th grade and its a joke.

The next closest private high school , or any high school at that is about 45 minutes away from us, and we live in the snow belt. Unless we move closer to the city its just not an option.

Honestly its a personal decision here for every family.

Most likely I wouldn't though because homeschooling ( like many others here ) really and truly works for my family.

Edited by TracyR

I would strongly consider it.