Menu

Poll: HSers and employment.

What has been your emplyment status since the birth of your first child until now?  

1. 1. What has been your emplyment status since the birth of your first child until now?

• Stay at home mom.
    • Part time work at home. (Less than 40 hrs per week.)
    • Part time employed outside the home. (Less than 40 hrs. per week.)
    • Full time work at home. (40-50 hours per week.)
    • Full time work outside the home. (40-50 hours per week.)
    • Overtime work at home. (50+ hrs. per week.)
    • Overtime work outside the home. (50+ hrs. per week.)
    • On government aid (welfare, disbility, unemployment, etc.)
    • My status has changed at least once since my first was born.

I was in school full-time right after my oldest son was born until he was 9 months old. Then, I was employed fulltime, working 50-60 hours a week until my third child was born. After my third child was born, I quit my job and started an in-home daycare. I ran that for 4 years when dd started pre-k and I began subbing at our church's preschool. When dd hit kindergarten, I began teaching part-time at the preschool and did that for 1 1/2 years. I quit to focus on my business when dd was in first grade. She became sick with mono halfway through first grade. That is when we made the decision to homeschool. My 2nd ds asked to come home that spring when he was finishing up 5th grade. Since then, I have worked part-time in retail and then went back to school fulltime 2 years ago. After finishing school, I went to work at a local day spa as an esthetician. All the while, still running my own business. I have since put both my business and my work at the spa on hold while helping dh start his own business last month.

Wow! That's alot and I'm impressed if you read this far.

I used to work outside the home full-time but now own my own business and work at home. Sometimes it's full-time and sometimes it's part-time. DH works with me and his schedule is similar to mine.

Well, I've always been a SAHM, but I recently got a job writing articles. It's not that much money and not even really worth the time I put into it because it takes so long and everything else suffers. But it is something and every little bit helps right now. So I said I was a part time WAHM

I voted part time. I haven't worked outside of the home since my 1st was born but we own a rental property which is like a small home business. I have always taken care of everything relating to that. This includes filing taxes of the property, managing it's maintencance, paying the property taxes, collecting rent, handling any rentor/property issues, etc.. It;s not too much work but it does bring in about $750 a month profit so I would consider it a part time job. :001_smile:

I voted my status has changed because it has varied quite a bit, but I'm not worked full-time since I had my dd who is 14.

I've had very part-time jobs at various times including teaching Kindermusik, teaching in and co-directing a co-op type school, part-time staff at a church, teaching one day a week in a high school co-op, tutoring, and now care giver on an occasional basis.

Most years I've brought in some kind of additional income. I'm very thankful that I have paid in social security and medicare. It may not be there when I'm old enough for it, but it is here now, and my dh would receive money to help if I died or became disabled.

I marked that my status has changed since first was born. I worked about 8 hours a week until ds 10 was 15 months, and then was a sahm until last summer. I worked part time in the evenings doing home care for 2 months until I found out I was pregnant. Now, I probably won't work outside of the home for at least another 6 years.:lol:

To answer the question; I've worked full time/temp work for dd's first two years. I have not worked since dd was 2 years 50 weeks old. I did have long periods of unemployment during the first two years also.

Holy polls, Batman.

Chucki will be thrilled.

I'm slightly overwhelmed. I don't know if I can keep up.

I have been part-time outside of the home since before my son was born. My job also requires some work from home. My current hours are 4ish to 8:30ish 4 days a week, and 6-7:30 one day a week. Some days at least one of the kids comes with me, one day I have them both.

DH sets his own schedule, he works mornings/afternoons, and is home before I leave. Today, we are both home :) That actually makes school A LOT harder...

Well, I had a professional 20 year career until I adopted my older dd, then became a SAHM. I didn't answer the poll though, because at about that time, my stockbroker retired, so I became our money manager, and have remained so. I don't take commissions ;), but it sure is work, and when I do it well, it does pay us well, too. I'm thinking that would qualify as working at home?

Anyway, once the poll's done, will you fill us in on what you are hearing? :D

These polls are to see if generalizations I have heard non-Hsers make about Hsers are accurate.

When my first two were little, I worked full time and they stayed with my mother. When they were around 4 & 5, I started working part time. For some time, they were homeschooled in the mornings and then went to grandma's house for the afternoon while I went to work.

For the past 11-12 years, I have stayed home full time, though I am now looking (unsuccessfully, since I have no recent references) for a part time job in the afternoons or evenings. Of course, I also have the problem of child care, since my mother is no longer able to babysit, and I still have 2 who would need supervision--and the older two will also not be available to babysit on a regular basis.

I worked then couldn't find child care so I did babysitting. Then I had an e-bay business and another child care business and now I work out of the home part-time. Inbetween those I spent time just being a mom.

So basically, work a year, be a mom for a year, work a year or two, be a mom a year or two, work a year, be a mom, work, etc. It's been a vicious cycle but I don't think I am going to quit this job because it doesn't interfer with homeschooling and I get to socialize with real adults and be creative at the same time. I'm working for a bakery 2 nights a week.:001_smile:

When my first son was born, my dh was unemployed, so I went to work at a temp job when ds was around 3.5 months for a while until he found something part time that quickly went to full time. I played around with selling collectible books online, mystery shopping, and doing some web design for my sons' preschool until now I do occasional part time contract work for the company my husband works for. So it has changed quite a few different times over the years, but I have not done an other full-time out of the home work since those few dreadful months during my son's first year.

When dh lost his job when dd was a baby, I worked ten hours a week for a year or so at a group home for autistic children and five hours a week for a work-at-home position counseling the mentally ill over the phone. Now that dh found a full-time position that pays half decent, I'm a SAHM. Which I love. :D

I do sell the occasional piece of writing for basically pocket change, but that's only a couple of times a year.

This one was to cover a few areas:

1. HSers are all stay at home moms who can't emotionally separate from their children once they're school aged.

2. You can't stay at home with kids (before or during the school years) without two incomes in today's economy.

3. It's not possible to HS while employed outside the home.

I was a full time working mom from the time my oldest was born until she was 11 years old, when my son was born. I've been a stay at home mom since he was born with only one very brief stint of working part time. I worked at a day care center that I ended up getting shut down for unsafe storage of chemicals in the toddler room and other violations.

Short answer for the past 16 years: SAHM, very part time work, full time work, half time work, SAHM, contract work, adjunct professor, private practice part time, SAHM, contract work, adjunct professor and currently seeking a full time job.

It has been quite a ride, and it is far from over.

I voted that my status has changed. I have been a SAHM since my oldest was born over 25 years ago...but, I always worked at least part time from home as a bookkeeper. It is a great way to make extra money. Now, dh and I own our own business and work from home. I work approximate. 35-45 hours a week.

Faithe

I have done many things. I have worked full time outside the home, worked full time inside the home, worked part time outside the home, worked part time inside the home, worked part time outside and inside the home (lol) and just been a SAHM. It all depends on my husbands schedule and our financial needs as a family.

Currently I have no jobs outside of the home for the first time in a long time. I currently just do part time work to earn money through my blog/website. That is it. So basically I am a SAHM. I also though am caring for my grandmother who is in a nursing home due to a massive stroke she had 3 months ago. I go and visit her almost daily and am working with my brother to get her house sold, and her finances more secure.

At one point I worked 2 part time jobs outside of the home and one part time - full time (seasonal) job from home. I worked about 60 hours a week, had three kids at home, and homeschooled 1 of them at the time.

Oh gosh, it has changed a few times.

I was a SAHM until DD was 10 months old. That's when I left my abusive ex, her dad.

I went on public assistance for four months. I then got a job that didn't pay much more but I made it work.

I then went back to college full time and worked part time. I attended community college so only attended school for three hours in the AM and worked 4 hours in the PM. I didn't have to be away from DD too much.

Transferred to university. DD was in school, I attended university full time, which was 5 or so hours a day, with tons of homework. I did part time contract work sporadically.

Worked full time for four years. I was still a single mom and homeschooled for one year this time. She was in middle school.

I've been working part time from home for two years now. I homeschooled last year and DD is now back in school..a small school that is geared towards students with learning challenges or differences. I'm no longer a single parent.

Wow, lol Sorry, long winded!:)

Edited by YLVD

I tried going back to work teaching when DD was 3 months old. It was what many people would consider an ideal situation since DH's job had on-site daycare literally feet from his desk..... but it just wasn't for us. I have been at home (working part-time on and off tutoring and writing for a parenting magazine) since she was 10 months old.

I voted PT work outside the home, because that has been my situation for most of my parenting years so far. My status has changed several times, though:

SAHM- first 9 mos

PT student- 9 mos- 18 mos

FT student + PT WOH- 18 mos- 2.5 years

FT WOHM- an exhausting 6-month period after graduation

PRN or PT WOHM- last 3 years, probably not gonna change anytime soon (unless DH magically switches to a job that covers the mortgage AND food. :lol: )

And probably sometime in the future, when DH's job disappears, I will be a FT WOHM while DH becomes a SAHD. I'm okay with that. He's more patient with the kids than I am, most days, and a better cook too !

I have worked once when my oldest child was around 2 and my husband stayed home with him. I was a College/Uni student for a few years, as well. If I had the energy, I might pick up some part time work. We sure could use the money. I wish I could be a nurse but I pass out around stuff. I would love the flex of that job. My poor kids have to take care of their own blood and vomit.

My employment status has changed more than once since my oldest was born.

First -- stay at home mom.

Then -- part time, outside the home; I did childcare and took him with me. (was for one child only, a relative)

Then -- part time, outside the home; he had a babysitter. I substitute taught for a year, while DH finished college. I was gone all day M/W/F *but* DH had only one class in the morning those days so DS had a babysitter for an hour only. During that same time I also worked at a church nursery, ds came with me there. And we got some gov't aid (WIC and Medecaid for ds only) during that time.

Then --- worked outside the home, full time. I taught at a private school for a year; ds attended on-sight daycare for half of that year, and then a relative babysat him for the 2nd half of the year once he was dx'ed with asthma & our pediatrician recommended he not go to daycare.

Then -- part time in the home; now I was home and the same relative needed to work, so I watched her son. (our boys are only months apart). I was also pregnant with/had my 2nd ds during this time.

Since then I've been a SAHM, with a few part time things on a "here & there" basis. Oh, well, I sold Pampered Chef for about a year after my 2nd was born, and I volunteered out of the home every other Friday night for about six months during that time (from about the time my 2nd was 1 to 2 yrs old). DH was working full time *AND* going to school full time for his MBA; it was relatively crazy.

the other here & there part time is that my grandmother owns an art gallery and I've worked there on an as-needed basis since high school. So, various Saturdays all during my boys early years I would go and work for my grandma, but the boys were home with dh. This was not something I did b/c we needed the money, but because I enjoyed it immensely. Still do; if we were still in the US, I'd still work the occassional Saturday and during her anniversary sale every year. I miss it.

Oh, and we had WIC and medicaid for the kids until our 2nd was about 2 yrs old.