Menu

Missing KC,MO baby

The unlocked door DOES seem strange. Why would she say she had left it unlocked? (or did she do that on purpose?) In this situation I would assume I or my husband had locked the door as usual, and if I window was disturbed, THAT was how an intruder must have gotten in. With the door being the obvious exit.

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of curious about the interest in the size of the baby. Why is this such a big deal? All of my children were that big and while my grandson was that tall he didn't weight quiet as much but i just don't se how that could have any relavance at all. Also the pictures don't look terribly old to me especially if they had more current pictures on their phones. I do admit that some of them circumstances sounds a little weird but hopefully everything will turn out ok.

Zuzu, you're a good investigator!!

My dad is a P.I. and my mom and I are librarians. Must be in the blood. :lol:

I wouldn't. My husband has traveled to conferences, and I really don't change anything, safety-wise. Home invasions/child abductions are just honestly not on my radar of things to worry about.

I wasn't thinking so much about abductions, but I guess general home invasion. My husband's red truck is very well known in our neighborhood (neighbors have commented before that he's gone a lot), and the first time he traveled overnight after we moved, I admit I realized it would be VERY obvious that he wasn't home. I already have to leave the front door unbolted when he works late a few nights a week, so it's on my radar, albeit slightly.

This week, I have been checking on them at night once or twice, even though I KNOW we're safe and chances are they're in my bed anyway! :tongue_smilie:

I still let my 5 and 3 yo boys play outside in our (fenced) yard alone, though I do keep a closer eye on them around school dismissal time.

I wouldn't. My husband has traveled to conferences, and I really don't change anything, safety-wise. Home invasions/child abductions are just honestly not on my radar of things to worry about.

Same here. And I can use a gun just as well as dh :D; we were not in any more danger because he was gone. Many women live alone, and they have to protect themselves without a dh.

Mom, Dad, and 1 to leave with the babysitter when they go out?

Yep. It is cheaper to add a cell phone at $9.99 per month and use it as your home phone than to have a land line. Until dd were old enough to have their own cell phones, we had three cell phones: Mom, Dad, and Home. I know many people who do the same thing.

Not that I believe everything I hear on the news. But if it's true that this happened on the very first time her husband had to work at night, that seems too convenient to me. How would a kidnapper happen to bust in on that particular night? Unless the kidnapper had something to do with the fact that the dad had to work.

That said, I could understand leaving the door unlocked, to help dad get back in in the wee hours. If you're in a safe neighborhood, what are the chances that you're going to be robbed on that one random night?

Then again, isn't it possible that the intruder came in through the window and left through the door? Makes sense since he's carrying a baby on the way out, but not on the way in. Would it not be easy to quietly unlock the door from the inside?

But mostly, I just think the whole thing is too much of a coincidence. Maybe they did something to the baby before the dad went off to work and then reported it later, to make it look like dad had an alibi. Meanwhile mom's alibi was that she was with her other kids the whole time.

From the beginning, I have been very aware of the fact that the timeline the parents gave to the police is not necessarily the 'actual' time line. Things could have happened whenever and what we are getting is a fictitious time line invented by the parents. Sorry - that sounds harsh, but it is something to consider.

Same here. And I can use a gun just as well as dh :D; we were not in any more danger because he was gone. Many women live alone, and they have to protect themselves without a dh.

No, but a possible intruder might perceive you to be.

I'm not really a poor-me or woman-who-needs-a-man type, but I'm aware of general cultural biases. The fact is, especially in my particular situation, that if someone wanted to target a woman alone with young children, it would be very obvious when "the man" wasn't around.

I really wouldn't expect that much from my DH in a true emergency. He's proven before that if the kids or I are "attacked," I'm on my own. He's stood by and watched while I've fended off physical and verbal abuse from a grown man while holding my baby in my arms. I'm far more ferocious than he is. :D

All that said, however, it's not something I'm especially worried about. I follow general safety guidelines (like locking my doors, lol), and don't think much about it.

Until of course I'm drawn into a forum discussion when worse case scenarios start playing in my head. ;)

Edited by Zuzu822
Spelling!

I don't think any of the phone, door, lights, window stuff matters.

People do that type stuff all the time on occasion either by accident or for other reasons.

I think if this baby was abducted, the person(s) have been watching and took advantage of an opportunity.

Obviously, if the baby wasn't abducted, none of the above would have mattered.

People do that type stuff all the time on occasion either by accident or for other reasons.

I think if this baby was abducted, the person(s) have been watching and took advantage of an opportunity.

Obviously, if the baby wasn't abducted, none of the above would have mattered.

I agree

...it's not a far leap to drive 23 miles to dump a body if you think that's the easiest place to hide it.

IF that is indeed what happened to Lisa, I wouldn't expect the mom to have gone out and done it herself (leaving the boys at home alone). I would expect her to have -- maybe -- CALLED somebody at 2:30 a.m., perhaps? -- to come help her out.

So... you realize you just said that you would expect a (potential) child murderer to do the right thing and not leave sleeping children unsupervised? :001_huh: I don't get that. :tongue_smilie: IF mom committed a barbaric act toward her daughter, the last thing she'd be up for is Mamma of the Year Award for providing constant round-the-clock supervision.

They checked that landfill because there was a dumpster fire in an apartment building not far from the residence. That dumpster is maintained by a company in KS, on the other side of KC, hence the reason for the mileage. They don't think the body was dumped there, but the garbage from the dumpster was.

Ah, okay, that makes sense now.

I don't think their having the cell phones on the kitchen table is weird. I don't think her not triple-checking locks when her husband is gone is weird. I just find it suspicious because it is incredibly, incredibly rare for toddlers to be snatched from their cribs by strangers, so I'll always assume it's the parents or somebody else very close to the child when something like this happens, unless there's very compelling evidence otherwise.

:iagree: I don't find any of that stuff to be odd.

So... you realize you just said that you would expect a (potential) child murderer to do the right thing and not leave sleeping children unsupervised? :001_huh: I don't get that. :tongue_smilie: IF mom committed a barbaric act toward her daughter, the last thing she'd be up for is Mamma of the Year Award for providing constant round-the-clock supervision.

Good point. But the fact is that she likely didn't take the baby to the landfill, anyway. I posted that before I saw the article about the fire in the dumpster near their home. If they had mentioned the dumpster fire on the channel that I normally watch, I obviously missed it. I only watch the news (or any TV for that matter) in snippets.

From the beginning, I have been very aware of the fact that the timeline the parents gave to the police is not necessarily the 'actual' time line. Things could have happened whenever and what we are getting is a fictitious time line invented by the parents. Sorry - that sounds harsh, but it is something to consider.
Not harsh, I don't think. I know they only release information in small increments in the first place, as it helps to separate false tips from those that warrant followup. It makes sense that they'd scramble the timeline as well.

They are questioning a teenage neighbor and took a DNA sample from them

Oh no. Ick. Barf. I hope that turns out to be nothing.

I know. Serial killers, murderers and rapists and heck only knows what all other kinds of evil were all teens at some point, but for some irrational reason I can't figure, a teen doing something horrible to a 10 month old baby just adds an extra thick layer of horrible to the depths.

Well, some of us are on the smaller-to-average size, with smaller-to-average babies, so a large 10-month old would be odd to us. :D

:001_huh:Size of the mother has nothing to do with size of the baby/infant.

I don't *think* you meant that they way I hard it?...

:001_huh:Size of the mother has nothing to do with size of the baby/infant.

I don't *think* you meant that they way I hard it?...

Ummm.... Nothing at ALL meant in a negative way. As I explained in a pp, dh and I are both on the short side, so OUR babies have tended to be on the shorter side as well.

How else WOULD I have meant it? :001_huh: I had no idea that someone could be offended by my saying that because WE are short, a 30" infant seems tall to us. :confused:

Oh no. Ick. Barf. I hope that turns out to be nothing.

I know. Serial killers, murderers and rapists and heck only knows what all other kinds of evil were all teens at some point, but for some irrational reason I can't figure, a teen doing something horrible to a 10 month old baby just adds an extra thick layer of horrible to the depths.

Statistically speaking, a teen or young adult male is most likely to be the danger to young dc, outside of your own family. We always picture the creepy old man, but that's not what crime statistic reports show.

I think the reason that seems unlikely is that, in general, infants are only taken for money (ransom) or by a seriously disturbed person who wants a baby. People who want babies are generally women, and while they'll do all sorts of bizarre, terrible things to get babies, they almost never commit home invasions. It just seems like, since it's not a ransom things and it's almost always a crime of opportunity when somebody takes a baby to "have" as their own (like they walk by a stroller something), it's very unlikely that the parents weren't somehow involved.

As to babies and parent size, my pediatrician is completely fine with our babies being absolutely enormous--my baby was 15 lbs. at his 2 month appointment, and my daughter was 22 pounds at 4 months--because she figures, with a mom who is 5'8" and a dad who is 6'5", they're just going to be big people.

I think the reason that seems unlikely is that, in general, infants are only taken for money (ransom) or by a seriously disturbed person who wants a baby. People who want babies are generally women, and while they'll do all sorts of bizarre, terrible things to get babies, they almost never commit home invasions. It just seems like, since it's not a ransom things and it's almost always a crime of opportunity when somebody takes a baby to "have" as their own (like they walk by a stroller something), it's very unlikely that the parents weren't somehow involved.

As to babies and parent size, my pediatrician is completely fine with our babies being absolutely enormous--my baby was 15 lbs. at his 2 month appointment, and my daughter was 22 pounds at 4 months--because she figures, with a mom who is 5'8" and a dad who is 6'5", they're just going to be big people.

I have no statistics, but when I was expecting my first, we were specifically warned about women staking out homes with new babies to steal. We were told to especially avoid yard signs announcing the new baby. There were example cases given us of women pushing or tricking their way into the home and stealing babies, and they had cased the homes ahead of time. There had been one case while I was pregnant, and it terrified me.

I have no statistics, but when I was expecting my first, we were specifically warned about women staking out homes with new babies to steal. We were told to especially avoid yard signs announcing the new baby. There were example cases given us of women pushing or tricking their way into the home and stealing babies, and they had cased the homes ahead of time. There had been one case while I was pregnant, and it terrified me.

There was a case here several years ago of a woman who was murdered while pg (nearly full term) and the baby taken by such a woman. She had befriended the victim via the internet.... through a mutual interest in dog shows or dog breeding, I believe.

There was a case here several years ago of a woman who was murdered while pg (nearly full term) and the baby taken by such a woman. She had befriended the victim via the internet.... through a mutual interest in dog shows or dog breeding, I believe.

I remember that case. I was pregnant with my oldest at the time!

I remember that one. So horrifying.

The only thing that bugs me about the possibility of a disturbed woman taking this baby is that Lisa's 10 months old. She knows her mama and if things are good at home, lights up when Mama is around!

And she's a big baby (age and size wise!). Wouldn't a disturbed woman crave a new baby more??!

The only thing that bugs me about the possibility of a disturbed woman taking this baby is that Lisa's 10 months old. She knows her mama and if things are good at home, lights up when Mama is around!

And she's a big baby (age and size wise!). Wouldn't a disturbed woman crave a new baby more??!

I would think so, maybe this was just a better opportunity?

The parents were interviewed on a Fox show tonight...Judge Jeannie or something? I got updated from a friend, didn't watch this, and apologize if I misunderstood something.

According to the parents:

They have a dog(black lab), the dog normally barks at noises and sleeps in the backyard. The dog was in the backyard, but didn't bark.

This was dad's first time ever working the overnight shift.

He had a work phone on him and that was used to call 911.

The mom did have a monitor, it was on, she hears if the baby cries, but she heard nothing.

The doors to the bedrooms were all closed.

Most of the lights in the house were on when the dad got home.

The front door was unlocked. Mom is unsure if she locked it or not.

The neighbors have a dog who sleeps outside(German Sheppard) and that dog never barked either.

Well....that is one lucky kidnapper.

I hope they find her soon and I really hope the parents had nothing to do with it. :(

That's the kind of terrible, bizarre actions I was talking about. Really disturbed women wanting a baby might indeed do that. But it's incredibly rare for women to perpetrate home invasions like the kind being alleged here.

The phone thing and the polygraph test just has me thinking this is not what it seems.

Dawn

If the missing phones part of the story were the only oddity, I'd agree with you. I've been falsely accused of things in the past (nothing as serious as a missing child) because of silly things like why were there 3 cell phones on the counter together, so I wouldn't want to go there. It's that AND everything else that makes me go - Huh? And like you, I have a replay of Susan Smith crying on television running through my head over and over again. :sad:

They've checked in the water areas near the family's home. Did that on Day 1. The landfill is 23 miles from their home... but in Kansas City, where it's pretty normal to drive 20-30 minutes to get *anywhere*, it's not a far leap to drive 23 miles to dump a body if you think that's the easiest place to hide it.

IF that is indeed what happened to Lisa, I wouldn't expect the mom to have gone out and done it herself (leaving the boys at home alone). I would expect her to have -- maybe -- CALLED somebody at 2:30 a.m., perhaps? -- to come help her out.

I'm not bothered by the unlocked door, we have accidentally left ours unlocked. I am not bothered by the cell phones missing, ours are often in a group on a table by our kitchen. But, why would a kidnapper turn on lights in your house???? Wouldn't he/she want to go in & out without alarming anyone? And the time between finding the baby missing and calling the police is baffling! If we took a quick search & didn't find our child, I would be dialing 911 in less than 5 min.

I hope she is safe. I hope the parents are innocent.

Things that are normal in our house with two children 8 and 9:

Doors do not get locked, lights get left on, parents are so tired sometimes one of us sleeps through things we would NEVER sleep through.

I understand saying that the dogs did not bark, mine bark if the wind changes direction... I live in KC, it changes direction here often! They also bark at all sorts of other noises. We actually keep them in at night with our children. This keeps the dogs quiet and keeps me feeling safer, because they would not just bark a few times, if a unexpected guest (known or unknown) came in the house or the room.

Same thing with not hearing the baby cry. Both my husband and I have slept through the babies crying. Mostly my husband, do not get me wrong. However, there have been times he has told me, "I cannot believe you did not wake up last night, she would not stop crying until after I had already..." I am shocked I slept through it all. That happened once with one kiddo and twice with the other. One of those times he brought the baby into me to feed... and I did not remember that!

I would love to see Little Lisa found, healthy, and returned to her family, but as time ticks on I worry about rather this can actually happen. Regardless of what is found, this situation is clearly tragic!

I agree with clementine....

We regularly have an unlocked door or two. I'm not too worried about that. I'd probably be a bit hypervigilant if my hubby were not home though. I might get used to it in time, but it wasn't like he regularly worked overnight, right? And lights on? We always have at least one light on. There have been time periods we've regularly had bigger/more lights on. And there most certainly are times we've left even more on accidentally. AND I would, if hubby was gone when he wasn't usually, leave more lights on. So none of that seems odd to me.

The phone thing is a bit odd to me, but not enough for alarm. I also liked the suggestion that someone might take them because of pictures. However, the situation of the wait to call the police is definitely suspicious. First, they eventually used Dad's work phone that he had on him, right? And they lived in a subdivision. If something happened to one of my children, I'd be beating down doors as necessary for information, help, a phone, etc. I probably wouldn't have to though as they would be able to hear the screaming!

I can't even see searching for her for a few minutes really. She's 10 months old. They know what she is capable of physically. Did they really think she could get out of her crib and hide so effectively? A few kids could/would, but not most 10 month olds. And again, they know her.

I think the link a couple pages back about saying her name (or nickname) during interviews makes sense also. I can't imagine not using her name like crazy for two reasons: First, I use my children's names ALL THE TIME. Second, I'd want her name out there! I wasn't convinced about the "we" thing though. I use "we" very regularly even if the situation is really ME and whoever is along for the ride. One many of us probably do: "We homeschool our kids" when *I* am the one homeschooling them on a day to day basis. Or how about: "We are going grocery shopping" when it is a baby and me going. Yeah, that baby is doing a lot of shopping.

Anyway, unfortunately, I think the parent(s) did it. That is most probable and there are enough issues in their story. I also thought the morning show interview was awkward at best. But I hope that is just wrong. Even more so, I hope little Lisa is alive and well to be returned home soon.

Edited by 2J5M9K

According to that analysis if something happened to my kids I am doomed. I am known for only using pronouns when I talk about the kids. Not because of unattachment or distancing as an abuser like he says, but because there is 4 of them and I am forever stumbling over their names (so when I want to say one I start with the first sound of 2-3 other ones. Would make it look like I was trying to change a story or something). So usually I say it once to establish who I am talking about and then stick with pronouns. And even when I am talking about groups of them, there is the bigs and the littles, the girls and the boys etc. I also use the word 'we' constantly and I am a SINGLE mom lol. It's more like a royal 'we' although I am the only one doing things around here I say things like "we decided" or "we started" when in fact it was me alone doing those things.

Doors, lights, noises. I have slept through them all. My son was a runner and would often vanish in the wee hours of the morning. OUt of his bed, lights on, and be out the door and long gone. I would wake up and find the front door wide open, and my son missing. The difference there is I always called the police within seconds of realizing he was gone. I was accused by 1 officer of harming him, she couldn't see how he could have just walked out of the house without me knowing or waking up. They found him about half an hour later in a building a few blocks away riding the elevator up and down(we had been in that elevator a couple days before). Once I am finally asleep I am outcold and sleep through a lot of noises. Even now the kids can get up, watch tv, make breakfast, destroy my house, etc and I will sleep right through it and we live in less than 1000 sq ft all on 1 level, so it is not like they are a floor or 2 away. SOmetimes they are on the computer right outside my open bedroom door.

The dogs have me stumped particularily the neighbor's dog. Speculation here but something is up with that. If the dogs normally bark when anyone is around than a couple things come to mind, a) they would bark if the mom left the house to dispose of a body, specifically they neighbor's dog. b) they would bark if some showed up to dispose of the body for her c) they would bark when the dad got home (even the owners dog would if it is tied in the back until and owner went and told it to shush). This one in particular makes me wonder if they really did bark at everythign most nights. If there was no barking at 4 am when the dad came home how can they be sure the dogs would bark if someone else was coming or going? Have they tested the dogs to know if they had been drugged/sedated? If I was casing a house that had a dog and knew I wanted to sneak in I would feed the dog something to drug it so it would not raise the alarm. I do not thing the dogs are an accurate gauge of whether or not someone did break in or not.

Doors and windows we regularily leave open/unlocked. Even when we lived in the big city. My thoughts have always been if someone really wants into the house, the door being locked is not going to stop them. Anyone who wanted in out of convience would not chose the house full of people and an obstacle course of toys, equipment etc. If someone came in to steal the baby they may have turned the lights on to avoid just such an obstacle course. NOthing gives you away faster than tripping over the exersaucer and yelling out.

The focus on baby not crying etc into monitor. If baby was asleep and stayed asleep while being picked up, there would have been no crying. All that would have been heard through the monitor would be the rustling of blankets. Most moms even if they wake to every peep do not wake to teh sound of rustling blankets. Think about how much those little ones travel around their cribs at night, I doubt many moms wake up everytime they shift direction.

The more I have been looking at what has been said by police etc. I do not think the mom necessarily had anything to do with it. IF something happened it happened BEFORE dad went to work and he did something with the body at that time, if we are looking at the lack of dog barking as evidence. I think that something happened by accident with the baby, a fall, or rough play by the big brothers or something, and the parents freaked out and tried to cover it up. The dad took the body with him when he went to work and dealt with it then, using the coming home at night to no baby as an act. I am actually more suspicious of his behaviours than her's. NO eye contact, NO tears, refusal to do a poly, whereas the mom volunteered. No mom would volunteer if she did in fact do something, submit perhaps but she volunteered according to reports. Maybe it is because I say things a lot of the same ways she does and would never hurt my kids I think that way. I do not think the mom killed her baby, I think the dad has a lot more involvement than he is letting on. THough I am still on the fence about the abduction story. I still think it is possible, but am leaning more towards something happened at home earlier in the evening and the dad knows what and he is the one that got rid of little Lisa. I think the mom is telling the truth as far as not knowing where Lisa is because it wasn't her that disposed of it. I am more than happy to eat crow if we find out she really was stolen. Especially if we find out she is alive and healthy with the kidnapper.

ETA: the part about using cops vs police with kids. More often than not I call them cops. occasionally I will say police, so I can see having both said by the kids.

Edited by swellmomma

Good point. But the fact is that she likely didn't take the baby to the landfill, anyway. I posted that before I saw the article about the fire in the dumpster near their home. If they had mentioned the dumpster fire on the channel that I normally watch, I obviously missed it. I only watch the news (or any TV for that matter) in snippets.

I was reading the comment section of the "language analysis" blog. Someone mentioned that the baby's grandfather (the mom's dad) has a movie mentined on his Facebook page as being one that he liked. It's called "The Dead Girl." The person who noticed this ran across the movie on the Sundance Channel, watched part of it, and it included a dumpster burning.

Weird coincidences, for sure!

I was reading the comment section of the "language analysis" blog. Someone mentioned that the baby's grandfather (the mom's dad) has a movie mentined on his Facebook page as being one that he liked. It's called "The Dead Girl." The person who noticed this ran across the movie on the Sundance Channel, watched part of it, and it included a dumpster burning.

Weird coincidences, for sure!

I read that comment too. That does seem weird.:001_huh:

IF the parents are involved (and we certainly need to give them the benefit of the doubt at this point), but if that were the case, imagine having to pull off the ACTING PERFORMANCE OF YOUR LIFE in front of family, friends, police and national media. Ugh. Not to mention the stress of the event itself. Looks like this one is headed toward a sad outcome, one way or another.

The man in the neighborhood carrying a baby in a diaper -- itsn't it cool in K.C. at this time of year?

The man in the neighborhood carrying a baby in a diaper -- itsn't it cool in K.C. at this time of year?

It's been warm. September can be hit or miss. It was in the 40s and 50s a few weeks ago, but it's now back into the 70s, cooling down to the 50s at night.

Cool for a baby in a diaper, but not as cool as it could be here right now.

I don't know if they had anything to do with their baby's disappearance. But I have to say that I would be doomed if anybody were to scrutinize my behavior in this way. We don't all behave in the same way under similar circumstances, and I cannot imagine that there is a right or normal way to respond.

I guess it is reality that most often these crimes involve the parents, but imagine the horror if you are not involved, and precious energy is being spent pinning you down instead of all resources focusing on finding your missing baby.

I hope this little one is found safely, and the truth is unraveled.

The dad took the body with him when he went to work and dealt with it then, using the coming home at night to no baby as an act. I am actually more suspicious of his behaviours than her's. NO eye contact, NO tears, refusal to do a poly, whereas the mom volunteered. No mom would volunteer if she did in fact do something, submit perhaps but she volunteered according to reports.

I don't think he ever said he refused a polygraph....did he? I thought he said he would do one. But, the police said he didn't have to. I don't know why.

I don't know if they had anything to do with their baby's disappearance. But I have to say that I would be doomed if anybody were to scrutinize my behavior in this way. We don't all behave in the same way under similar circumstances, and I cannot imagine that there is a right or normal way to respond.

I guess it is reality that most often these crimes involve the parents, but imagine the horror if you are not involved, and precious energy is being spent pinning you down instead of all resources focusing on finding your missing baby.

I hope this little one is found safely, and the truth is unraveled.

I agree. And like Brandy, I always use pronouns with my kids. I consider myself a very attached AP mom. I've just always been horrible with names. :lol: